Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

6 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

I hope he figures ir out too, but DJ is MUCH more deserving of that number, in my opinion.  I strongly prefer Cravens not having that number.  Hail

"Although Swearinger paid a hefty price, he actually had a good reason for paying it, and it’s even Redskins-related. The safety has been wearing No. 36 since he was in high school as a way to honor Sean Taylor. “I grew up watching the Miami Hurricanes,” Swearinger told the Redskins’ official website. “Then when [Taylor] got to the [NFL], and I think his rookie year was my freshman year [in high school] and he had 36, and I ended up getting 36. It was also a family number: My dad wore 36, and my uncle [also wore 36].” Swearinger then pointed out that Cravens hasn’t been wearing the No. 36 his entire life, so it made more sense for Swearinger to wear it." 

I totally dig that. Hope he balls out this season although I think we'll be below .500 has a team

10 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Plenty of people dislike and are constantly "perplexed" by the hive-minded society we live in.

Perfect example is your regurgitation of the vision problems thing. HE was the only one who claimed he had vision problems. There was plenty of doubt and questions regarding the supposed vision problems, and he removed the posts. Screams of someone begging for attention.

People are acting like if he temporarily went blind that he would ever be cleared to play football again. Ridiculous.

People want to crucify people once they see an opportunity to use situations like these to claim people need to be less insensitive and more politically correct.

Right.

Because other than that one post I've certainly harped on the vision thing, right?

come on now.

This could be a huge blessing in disguise. I'm glad that type of character is no longer going to be around the team. It's a very negative, infectious energy to keep around the locker room, especially after loosing a game. Imagine if we got off to a 3-1 start and Cravens pulls this stunt. It would handicap us going foward. At least he did everyone a favor and showed HIS "true colors" and left. Who knows what positive outcome will result from this. I guarantee after seeing everyone play week 1, Cravens is going to feel like the biggest idiot. I bet you he already does. To have someone that enotionally unstabe on the team is concerning. And apparently from what I hear, he is all over social media. Thats just shows you he's very narcissistic and concerned about only one person, himself. So am I mad he left? NOPE. I'm glad he did it now compared to after a few games. "Peace Out" 

6 minutes ago, RonBurgandy said:

This could be a huge blessing in disguise. I'm glad that type of character is no longer going to be around the team. It's a very negative, infectious energy to keep around the locker room

I thought about this as well. Players notice when a guy is checked out and still gets rewarded with a starting spot. With outspoken guys like Norman and DJ leading the secondary, I'm hoping they'll use this as an opportunity to bring the secondary together with that "wolfpack" mentality that Compton and Su'a were talking about in that video. Even without Su'a, we have a lot of talent back there - if they can play as a unit, they could be scary.

Such a hard topic to discuss. On one side we are fans and we hold players on the team to a high level of loyalty. On the other side we really have no commitment to the individual players well being or their respective careers. I think of Matt Jones, whom many were excited about only a year ago, after having one sub par season where he still had a couple good games we are extremely fast in trying to forget he was ever here.

The NFL and it's fans really don't care about any single player. It's a business that makes billions of dollars annually on the bodies of it's temporary employees. 

IMHO Cravens has to make the decision that's best for him. If he was to play, get a serious injury that ended his career and impacted his quality of life I can say with a certain level of confidence 5 years from now no one from the Skins or even his current teammates would be checking up on him. He'd be left to himself with only his close family/friends helping him. He's thinking of his long term future while we can't look past the 2017 season and how him being 1/11 (1 person on defense) of 1/3 of the game (defense) might have made things marginally better than whomever his replacement is. 

Cravens seems like he's still a child. Terrible timing. Not a fan of this guy and never was. He really doesn't even have a true position on the field. From the outside it just seems like Cravens isn't into being an NFL player and all that comes with it. He wants to play on social media and act like a baby. Fine. Stay home and let your NFL career go to the wayside then...

Soooo where does that leave us for putting someone in his spot?...who is going to play instead of him?...it was unknown how he was going to do in that spot anyway so it's not much of a loss....right?

Wholy **** I have a Redskins logo next to my user name!!! how frickin awesome!!..is that good?..not being sarcastic either..

26 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wait...so he didn't officially retire...right? He's only out for at least a month? 

Officially he's on the exempt/left squad which is used for special circumstances. 

He has 4 games then we either have to add him to the active roster or put him on reserve for the whole season.

3 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

I could care less that he's retiring, world needs ditch diggers to.

since his entrance to league, most all his social media has been juvenile and immature. I'm not on twitter, but given the ES thread was able to follow some of his. The reported way he handled this is the same unprofessionalism.

You expect professionalism when you make the salary he does and some college education. However, he went to USC, so the ballroom dancing classes may not have paid off.

peace out

He acts the way on social media as most 22 year olds will.  Sorry he didn't live up to YOUR standards LOL. 

1 minute ago, RonArtest15 said:

He acts the way on social media as most 22 year olds will.  Sorry he didn't live up to YOUR standards LOL. 

Just because something becomes more socially accepted doesn't make it right. Airing stuff on social media that pertains to your job is poor form. I employ approx. 40-50 young people between the ages of 16-22 and I know all about how the interact and use social media-- and I tell them all the time to keep any company business off of their feeds. It can and will be used against you.....

10 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Yeah I see whete you are coming from but as an employer I am very wary of being involved in some of yhe nonsense that goes on there. 

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Maybe it's the angle, but there's something really weird about his eyes in this selfie.

He looks high AF thats what lol

Just now, XxSpearheadxX said:

Yeah I see whete you are coming from but as an employer I am very wary of being involved in some of yhe nonsense that goes on there. 

He's completely harmless on social media.  Of all the things that some of these athletes tweet/do, Cravens should be the least of anyone's concerns with how he conducts himself. 

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Nope.  Folks are going to be emotional, mad and extreme (pun intended) when initially getting news like that.  I wasn't surprised in the least.  I was more perplexed by those who come across like he's a loved one, standing on a pedestal shouting down folks, making up stuff about mental illness, so on and so forth.

Its not like he's a longtime fan favorite or has a documented legit reason for wanting to walk away.  All signs point to a kid that likes the limelight more than the grind....and really that's fine.  It just doesn't get my compassion meter moving.

He doesnt have to be a "loved one" for me to care about his well being. 

As a fellow human, I care more about him as a person than I do his ability to play a game. 

I am greatly confused by your being perplexed by this idea. 

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Maybe it's the angle, but there's something really weird about his eyes in this selfie.

Let's just cut to the chase and be totally honest here. Professional football isn't really like the "real world." Drawing comparisons between Cravens job and my job are stretches at best. The NFL is a realm that harkens back to a different time-- lots of machismo and filled with dudes who are cut from a different cloth-- both athletically and mentally. It is a game that requires aggression, passion, and maybe even a few loose screws in addition to athletic gifts and/or size.

Appears to me that Cravens doesn't really fit that mold and I imagine he was getting chewed up and spit out. I mean, the dude JUST said it. "I think I need to find what makes me happy." Clearly, football isn't it. Who knows... maybe he bails for awhile and then is like "oh crap, I better get back to football because even if I don't love it, I'm good at it and can make a lot of money." But for me, I would just as soon we part ways with him. Call me a barbarian or lacking sensitivity-- that's fine. I think it's nice that Allen extended him the option to cool off for a month, but I think it's probably the best if we just let him walk. I wish him the best, I really do. I have no animosity towards him. But I don't want him on my football team.

19 minutes ago, dyst said:

I hope he doesn't come back just so he is on the roster to get paid. Rather he retire, so that money opens up. Don't need a half way player.

Most importantly I have a feeling that many, if not most, of his soon to be former teammates would agree with you. Kleese said it well, its the got dang NFL, insane $ for playing a game, even though at its highest levels that game is gladiatorial. Nobody is forced into slavery to play in the NFL. 

“Some people can play that way. Some people can play this game if they (don’t),” said Swearinger, who would have started at free safety next to Cravens. “But over the long run you will get exposed if you don’t love the game because through the ups and downs, times get tough. If you really love it you’ll stick to it.”

29 minutes ago, dyst said:

I hope he doesn't come back just so he is on the roster to get paid. Rather he retire, so that money opens up. Don't need a half way player.

In  4 days it's no longer his choice. The Skins have all the control at that point. They have to choose to allow him off the reserve/left squad list. He can never play in the NFL again without the Redskins agreement.

53 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Most 22 years olds don't have the benefit of the NFL rookie symposium and an employer that actually tries to help you acclimate into your career. I really wish the guy luck in whatever he decides to do with his life. 

For me he didn't live up to my expectations, buy hey the good news is I'm a Redskins fan. 

Archived