Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

I know I have a hard time understanding fans that get upset about being blocked on social media or if they get a unpleasant comeback (this slang term for this is a 'clapback' for anyone interested).

Forums like this is the place to be critical of a player or organization. Most users of social media prefer to see positive messages on their account and negativity or harsh criticism gets blocked. Maybe you view it as 'soft' but that is just how social media goes.

Mike Garafalo from NFL Network was on 106.7, said he talked to team sources.  He was vague mostly but seemed to suggest the impression he got as to the Cravens situation is its likely mental/personal versus physical.  He said Cravens is a personality and has a hot and cold streak about him but he can't really elaborate on that.  He thinks there is a chance in a month, etc Cravens will come back.  He said he knows if so the team wants assurances that he won't do something like this again where they can count on him.  He said the team has handled it well behind the scenes without elaborating much as to how so.

4 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

I know I have a hard time understanding fans that get upset about being blocked on social media or if they get a unpleasant comeback (this slang term for this is a 'clapback' for anyone interested).

Forums like this is the place to be critical of a player or organization. Most users of social media prefer to see positive messages on their account and negativity or harsh criticism gets blocked. Maybe you view it as 'soft' but that is just how social media goes.

You know to me it's like seeing a celebrity in a restaurant. I used to live in Tahoe and also here in Naples many high profile people are just doing daily stuff, I don't approach them.

I look at it like if they talk to me, I'll talk back or if I have something nice to say, I will say it. But you really don't know these people and to come at them during what is probably really a hard time for this kid, guy deserves to be blocked. He did wish him luck, but I am sure he took the next man up as an insult. That said personally, next man up and best of luck. 

11 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

This is all the worst parts of social media though. It is weak and soft. It is a terrible thing when people let the attitude you describe seep into their day to day relationships, let alone deep into theit own psyche (such as is a phenomena with children growing up unendingly plugged into this world) 

Nobody is upset that he blocked them. I have a hard time not mocking someone who puts out tons of their life out there and then complains when the ego strokes they get back aren't as soothing as they require. If you don't want people to judge you for it, don't do it! Otherwise toughen up buttercup, the world ain't always a pretty and nice place. Call your momma if you want a hug. 

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

This is minutiae, because you know exactly what I meant.  You're completely splitting hairs. 

Bottom line, this generation of young adults 18-24 are living through social media. 

Clearly I didn't lol...because I thought you meant most people his age behave in the same manner on social media. Turns out that's not what you meant at all.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If he does retire the team will get cap space back for the pro rated bonus payment they are entitled to recover.

I was worried it would cost them more since later years would accelerate if anything, but I suppose the signing bonus would be higher, wouldn't it?

Just now, carex said:

I was worried it would cost them more since later years would accelerate if anything, but I suppose the signing bonus would be higher, wouldn't it?

If he chooses to retire he would owe the team money for the 75% of his bonus he's not 'earned'. Plus his base salary would come off the books.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If he does retire the team will get cap space back for the pro rated bonus payment they are entitled to recover.

That's not really the issue, is it? The real question is will all Craven jersey's be refunded and what will Spidey do the next time he battles Craven, the Hunter.

13 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

This is all the worst parts of social media though. It is weak and soft. It is a terrible thing when people let the attitude you describe seep into their day to day relationships, let alone deep into theit own psyche (such as is a phenomena with children growing up unendingly plugged into this world) 

Nobody is upset that he blocked them. I have a hard time not mocking someone who puts out tons of their life out there and then complains when the ego strokes they get back aren't as soothing as they require. If you don't want people to judge you fornit, don't do it! 

I get where you are coming from too. Maybe they should have a tougher skin especially since they know most of the negative comments are made from people they don't know and/or frustration. The way that social media works though is people are looking for attention, approval, and positive energy. Also, some of the comments really are mean and deserve to be blocked.

I really don't know how to digest all of this, I really don't. 

On one hand, I've always assumed he's just super immature. It's been that way for me the moment we drafted him and we started seeing his tweets. I just figured that he's got plenty of growing up to do, which is fine... if the team felt they can handle that, I wasn't going to be mad about it.

I posted that tweet showing Compton's talk with him when it first came out in the twitter thread. I was surprised more people didn't notice it, and I even thought about posting it in the training camp thread, but I decided against it because I didn't want to be the reason people started hating the guy. 

It's crazy. I spoke to @Spaceman Spiff about Cravens while we were covering the games. We talked about his immaturity, I brought up that video too, but we also talked about how it's not cool to make it a focus when you think that about someone, to sit there and judge people you barely know on a message board in that personal of a way. Now it's all front and center. Pretty friggin surreal. 

On the other hand, you do have to wonder if he's mentally right. You can't point to the way he's handled things as proof it's not that, because his perceived immaturity/unprofessionalism may all be a result of that. We know he suffered a concussion last year, and we know that some people can take numerous ones without anything serious happening and others have their entire personalities change after just one. Is it that? Did he have a history of mental illness that has went unchecked? God knows. 

I will say this.

I kind of am fine with the team's approach here. I know I know, it might be unfair to others in the locker room striving hard, they might be doing him more damage by babying him, maybe they should've done more at this point, etc... but I think they figured they were dealing with someone who is immature and are being extra patient with him.

I don't think they're surprised by this, really, but only maybe in terms of him possibly being mentally ill. Which, if you draft a guy thinking he's immature and you know you're going to have to help him grow up, I think it's a good thing if you've included that in a plan to develop him. 

I agree with Brewer's take on this. I like it when our FO shows patience and restraint. So kudos to Allen and co. there. 

I remember Gruden mentioning how young Cravens is every time he was brought up to him last year. And while I don't agree that someone his age should act that immaturely, ever, I get the sense that they've always been willing to deal with him as is. And now maybe they're learning, along with us, that he's got a real illness here that he needs to get help with. If that's the case, just have to hope he makes the right decision and does get that help. 

Of course, there are limits. And I think the one as enforced by the NFL via the Left Team/Exempt list is good. 

It's definitely a sensitive subject, either way. My hope is that he either grows up fast or, if there is something wrong with him mentally, that he gets it fixed. He can absolutely be an asset to this team but, more than that, I want to see him come out of this a better person. Doesn't have to be as a football player. 

I mentioned yesterday that Paulsen said on the radio that the Redskins FO didn't know about Cravens USC absence.  Here's Keim doubling down on that.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20577894/sua-cravens-washington-redskins-snapchat-pursuit-happiness

Cravens once went missing for three days while at USC, also while dealing with an injury, once source said, confirming a report from the The Washington Post. Key decision makers with the Redskins didn't know about that during the pre-draft process a year ago, a source said.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I mentioned yesterday that Paulsen said on the radio that the Redskins FO didn't know about Cravens USC absence.  Here's Keim doubling down on that.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20577894/sua-cravens-washington-redskins-snapchat-pursuit-happiness

Cravens once went missing for three days while at USC, also while dealing with an injury, once source said, confirming a report from the The Washington Post. Key decision makers with the Redskins didn't know about that during the pre-draft process a year ago, a source said.

I would be beyond shocked if Joe Barry didn't know about it. He played at USC, coached there and has a ton of ties to the school.

It was likely injury concerns. He may have told himself one more, and then I am through. Hence the horrible timing. At least we loaded up on DBs and may not even notice him gone.

Well, not any more than in any other teams 3-4 that decides they don't need a NT. Seriously, would you want to be a safety on a  noseless 3-4 coming off a concussion?

30 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Nobody is upset that he blocked them. I have a hard time not mocking someone who puts out tons of their life out there and then complains when the ego strokes they get back aren't as soothing as they require. If you don't want people to judge you for it, don't do it! Otherwise toughen up buttercup, the world ain't always a pretty and nice place. Call your momma if you want a hug. 

I almost hate to admit it, as I read your post I was just waiting for the word I have come to despise:  "snowflake". But I have to agree with you.  If you don't want people to be critical then don't go on social media.

I just wanted to chime in on the excuse that he is acting this way because of his age. I have 7 children ranging in ages from 4 to 15, I am constantly explaining to them that maturity levels usually manifest at certain ages.              That our 6 yr old twins should be mature enough to know to brush their teeth every night before bed, 8 yr old should know to bring all of his dirty clothes out to be washed, 13 yr old should be mature enough to go to school functions without causing drama, 15 yr old should be mature enough to help around house/cook without being told and so far so good.

Maturity develops at certain ages...16 should be responsible to safely drive a 5,000lb vehicle, 18 should be responsible to live on their own, 21 you have total control over your entire life, if you want to buy alcohol that's your choice.

And given the fact that at minimum 45% of all branches of the military is made up of 22-30 yr olds I find the excuse he is immature because of his age rather disturbing. 

http://www.statisticbrain.com/demographics-of-active-duty-u-s-military/

22 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I would be beyond shocked if Joe Barry didn't know about it. He played at USC, coached there and has a ton of ties to the school.

He was there about 5 years earlier with a different defensive staff.   I get your idea that he might know but don't see how its close to slam dunk.  It would be like me working for a company, then I'm 5 years gone, the staff is different but they'd feel like sharing everything they know anyway?  Maybe.  But I see the point more if Kiffin was still the guy coaching the defense, the guy he worked for but he was long gone. 

My gut is the Redskins sources that Keim and Paulsen talked to are telling the truth.  If they are afraid of getting blamed, why not just say hey its Scot's fault.  So I don't see what they have to lose to be honest.  But you never know. 

2 hours ago, Birdlives said:

Will and desire > talent every day of the week. If he doesn't want to be here, he shouldn't be here, and we shouldn't want him here.

You're making some bold statement here... I know lots of players that played for this team that many around here would have ran out of town with pitches and forks. Those guys always had the will and desire, but were most often lacking talent.

I agree with you on your assessment, but man...

Will Compton

Reed Doughty

Those are the first two that comes to mind when thinking about what you said.

Could add guys like Paulsen, Polumbus as well... or... Grossman?

Does anyone know if Su'a comes from a well off family?

If he could live comfortably without the NFL salary I don't think it bodes well for his return. If he doesnt come from money I can see him getting a huge wakeup call when he runs out of money and realizing he should make as much money possible in the NFL while he can regardless if he has lost his love of the game or whatever. If he returns with a new found motivation to view it as a job and make the most of it he could easily turn this thing around.

Just some food for thought...

Imjustnot sure how you can come back from this . Seriously .

Being on a team is a brotherhood and even if it is a mental thing how can anyone trust him again . 

If anything irks me is he had the audacity to wear 36 last year and then give it away as if it was nothing to Sweringer ... 

but it thats an aside ... I don't think I want to talk anymore about a guy who ... literally is just a guy . ... 

1 hour ago, wunderhill said:

I just wanted to chime in on the excuse that he is acting this way because of his age. I have 7 children ranging in ages from 4 to 15, I am constantly explaining to them that maturity levels usually manifest at certain ages.              That our 6 yr old twins should be mature enough to know to brush their teeth every night before bed, 8 yr old should know to bring all of his dirty clothes out to be washed, 13 yr old should be mature enough to go to school functions without causing drama, 15 yr old should be mature enough to help around house/cook without being told and so far so good.

Maturity develops at certain ages...16 should be responsible to safely drive a 5,000lb vehicle, 18 should be responsible to live on their own, 21 you have total control over your entire life, if you want to buy alcohol that's your choice.

And given the fact that at minimum 45% of all branches of the military is made up of 22-30 yr olds I find the excuse he is immature because of his age rather disturbing. 

http://www.statisticbrain.com/demographics-of-active-duty-u-s-military/

so you think every 22-23 year old should be mature enough to know exactly what they want to do with their lives

1 minute ago, carex said:

so you think every 22-23 year old should be mature enough to know exactly what they want to do with their lives

Absolutely not and I apologize if I gave that impression. What I do think is that the excuse he's acting immature because he is a "kid" at 20 something is a lame excuse. 

3 minutes ago, wunderhill said:

Absolutely not and I apologize if I gave that impression. What I do think is that the excuse he's acting immature because he is a "kid" at 20 something is a lame excuse. 

he's dealing with totally new life experiences in his first significant time as an independent person.  I think it sucks if he does quit, but he's pretty kid like

Archived