Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Kirk signed his tender within days 2 years in a row. Showed up the entire off season and put in the work. Every other franchise player last few years has skipped the entire off season, training camp and preseason. Kirk is a professional and handles his business. He got drafted into a situation with zero chance to compete and kept grinding. Plus he's not the one leaking details of the negotiation numbers. There is no world where you can compare Kirk to anything Sua does on social media.

Dude said "posting publicly about your job is unprofessional."  Kirk did when he was making contract jokes. 

But I guess there are different levels to this.

1 minute ago, Birdlives said:

Will and desire > talent every day of the week. If he doesn't want to be here, he shouldn't be here, and we shouldn't want him here. As critical of this team as I am, I don't think you can put this one on them. If USC wasn't forthcoming about his commitment to the team, then shame on them for not doing their job. They shouldn't be protecting their players from scrutiny. It will only burn them in the long run.

That one is on Joe Barry. Barry has huge USC ties and stood on the table for Sua. I would not put anything past the school that produced OJ Simpson and broke every NCAA rule under Pete Carrol, but Joe and Scot are completely on the hook for the blame on this one. 

Just now, kleese said:

See, I view it as having some tact. While it may be passive-aggressive, almost everything KC has ever said publicly about his contract has either been bland and standard or politely tongue-in-cheek. Almost sort of poking fun at the process. He has had so many opportunities to toss daggers and he never has. But when you say something like "thanks for everyone showing their true colors...." that screams drama and immaturity.

I somewhat agree with you....as it was Kirk poking fun at the situation, but to me he still falls under that umbrella about posting publicly about his job. 

In the end, I think we'll have to agree to disagree here regarding Cravens, his age/tweeting habits, etc. 

13 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Don't think I said ALL.  I didn't mince my words. 

I'm painting broad stroke while understanding that there is another side to that coin....folks who are in that same age group who are wired a bit differently

I didn't say you said "all" lol...the word "All" isn't even in my post.

But you said "most" 22 year olds...so unless we only have like 250 people around that age in the U.S., "most" would encompass a ****load more 22 year olds than those in the NFL

And while I do understand you were saying some people are wired differently and that shouldn't be seen as an automatic negative, you can't ignore that "most" people his age do NOT act like he is acting on social media...which is what Kleese's post was all about. Hell, it could realistically be that most 22 year olds probably don't even post on social media.

And this may sound harsh, but his Snap Chat comment today about "you all will get to know me now" is part of the whole problem. I suppose if you follow him on social media maybe that's what you are going for--- but I don't want to KNOW S'ua Cravens. Or Will Compton or Dexter Manley or Joe Gibbs. It's just fine if Cravens plays football and I watch football and we then both have lives separate that neither really needs to know about. I understand I'm delving into social commentary here so I'll keep it short, but it might be part of the larger issue.... It's cool for some things to be private. I'm not saying he should hide deep down any issues he's having-- he should absolutely seek help/counsel, etc.. if he has things he needs to work out mentally or emotionally. I'm not a Caveman who believes dudes shouldn't express emotion or show weakness.... but I just don't think it is necessary for everyone in the world to know what you are going through. It's fine if you eat lunch and no one knows what you had other than you and whoever you are with. I think it creates more pressure than is necessary-- especially for a guy that might be teetering emotionally anyway.

Just now, Califan007 said:

I didn't say you said "all" lol...the word "All" isn't even in my post.

But you said "most" 22 year olds...so unless we only have like 250 people around that age in the U.S., "most" would encompass a ****load more 22 year olds than those in the NFL

And while I do understand you were saying some people are wired differently and that shouldn't be seen as an automatic negative, you can't ignore that "most" people his age do NOT act like he is acting on social media...which is what Kleese's post was all about. Hell, it could realistically be that most 22 year olds probably don't even post on social media.

This is minutiae, because you know exactly what I meant.  You're completely splitting hairs. 

Bottom line, this generation of young adults 18-24 are living through social media. 

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

That one is on Joe Barry. Barry has huge USC ties and stood on the table for Sua. I would not put anything past the school that produced OJ Simpson and broke every NCAA rule under Pete Carrol, but Joe and Scot are completely on the hook for the blame on this one. 

Too matter of fact for my taste. If they didn't know and USC hid issues, not their fault. If they knew and drafted anyways, fine, agreed. Can anyone really know for sure?

1 minute ago, Birdlives said:

Too matter of fact for my taste. If they didn't know and USC hid issues, not their fault. If they knew and drafted anyways, fine, agreed. Can anyone really know for sure?

It's crazy to me that this could have been an oversight by the FO, but our local media was hip to his issues at USC with a little bit of digging.  I'm going to give Scot and Co. the benefit of the doubt that they weren't that clueless/incompetent during their draft evaluation of Cravens.  They knew of some of his issues, but maybe chose to treat him with kid-gloves. 

6 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

This is minutiae, because you know exactly what I meant.  You're completely splitting hairs. 

Bottom line, this generation of young adults 18-24 are living through social media. 

A bit off topic but here is a great article regarding social media and how it's causing major mental health issues for the generation coming up:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/

4 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

A bit off topic but here is a great article regarding social media and how it's causing major mental health issues for the generation coming up:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/

Thanks for posting this....I'll read it a little later on tonight. 

I actually read an article a few months back about how smartphones are essentially "drugs" for many teens. 

27 minutes ago, kleese said:

And this may sound harsh, but his Snap Chat comment today about "you all will get to know me now" is part of the whole problem. I suppose if you follow him on social media maybe that's what you are going for--- but I don't want to KNOW S'ua Cravens. Or Will Compton or Dexter Manley or Joe Gibbs. It's just fine if Cravens plays football and I watch football and we then both have lives separate that neither really needs to know about. I understand I'm delving into social commentary here so I'll keep it short, but it might be part of the larger issue.... It's cool for some things to be private. I'm not saying he should hide deep down any issues he's having-- he should absolutely seek help/counsel, etc.. if he has things he needs to work out mentally or emotionally. I'm not a Caveman who believes dudes shouldn't express emotion or show weakness.... but I just don't think it is necessary for everyone in the world to know what you are going through. It's fine if you eat lunch and no one knows what you had other than you and whoever you are with. I think it creates more pressure than is necessary-- especially for a guy that might be teetering emotionally anyway.

Well said, couldn't agree more.   I do have to laugh at Carens' comment that now we will get to know him.  It's as if he is completely unaware that once he stops playing football 99% of his followers won't give a damned about him and what he is really like.

I am in my office on labor day doing paperwork and don't feel like working so I'm going to respond to that video he made.  He does seem sad.  He absolutely is a sensitive sally and I know that because I am as well lol.  His whole "Now you'll get to know me and you'll either love me or hate me there is no in between" screams immaturity.  He is young, but old enough that demonstrating that kind of immaturity means he is probably dealing with the fall out of losing everyone telling him he's the best.  He probably is suffering some type of mental illness, could be a personality disorder like narcissism (we like sociopaths as our players in the NFL if they have to suffer from a personality disorder, psychopaths maybe - but I think they end up being too anti-social to perform).  He may be Bi-Polar and on meds, which is a terrible thing to deal with, though in 2017 its a FAR cry from what that diagnosis used to mean.

Thats all my amateur "I have I bachelors in psychology degree that I never officially use in my business lookin ass" will give for now lol, I need to be getting back to work.  He wants attention, and he only understands attention as Black or White, no gray area.  That is a sign of an unhealthy person, mentally.  Again, still don't feel sorry for him.  I'll drive the streets of Baltimore and look at all the 8 year olds running around if I want to feel sorry.

59 minutes ago, kleese said:

See, I view it as having some tact. While it may be passive-aggressive, almost everything KC has ever said publicly about his contract has either been bland and standard or politely tongue-in-cheek. Almost sort of poking fun at the process. He has had so many opportunities to toss daggers and he never has. But when you say something like "thanks for everyone showing their true colors...." that screams drama and immaturity.

Yeah and he has been posting all the unconditional love and support responses on snapchat all day. But I send him a more critical message and still end it with I hope he proves everyone wrong and comes back to have a long career for us and he blocks me.

Kid can't handle even LIGHT criticism but takes all the attention he can get. Whos really showing true colors here Su'a?

But I'm sure now that Kirk has been brought up that it wont be long before someone tries to make an argument for racial bias. How about the more likely scenario that Kirk has proven a lot more than Su'a, has earned the RESPECT of him teammates, and earned a much longer leash of patience and benefit of doubt from fans.

God I dream of next season where ideally distractions like Breeland and Su'a are replaced, and Kirk puts the contract drama to rest. We've come so far from internal leaks, rosters full of me-first players, and constant drama. Please for the love of god let us have a good season where our young roster progressively gets better. We're so close to what we've all dreamed of as fans in having a (relatively) solid organization who builds through the draft but it could all come undone just as quickly if we struggle and Dan loses his patience.

3 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

He acts the way on social media as most 22 year olds will.  Sorry he didn't live up to YOUR standards LOL. 

Yea sure, I don't understand kids. Everybodys doing it so it's ok. New world, can't criticize. 

Listen, best of luck and peace out.

I hope he finds sustained 'happiness'. World can be a cruel place, we're all looking for that.

Yeah the whole "you will either love me or hate me?" WTF does that even mean? 

Its like dude, people are excited to follow you because you are an NFL player. There is a 0% chance I would either wind up "loving" or "hating" Cravens unless he killed a puppy on Snap Chat or something. I mean, cmon man, display some self-awareness. 

44 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

I've had many reasons why my passion for the Redskins and the NFL in general just keeps deteriorating. This just adds to it. The fact that I'm not even upset about it is telling.

The NFL to me lost it's flavor some time ago, my Redskins fandom is born out of stubbornness and loyalty. I really don't put any emotion into them anymore though. It used to get me worked up, but no more.....

In defense of the fans, I view it like this.

All of us have dreams. Some of us have huge dreams while others have subtle ones. Few of us realize those dreams, some get close, but most don't. Maybe they find something that can replace the dream and are happy, but very few of us get to the mountain top. Very, very few get to climb Mt. Olympus to sit among the Gods and drink Ambrosia.

I'm pretty lucky. In my radio work, in my plays and books, I have gotten further in some respects than I thought I would, but still, so far, I've fallen way short. Yes, I had a play produced in New York, but it was an Equity Showcase and an Off Broadway Show with a very limited run. Yes, I got myself onto public radio, got to cover amazing events and people and was even selected best of the year, but I was hardly a star reporter or became a go to national figure. Even with my books, my first publisher went bankrupt and my current books are doing well, but I'm nowhere near a bestseller. Still, I have come really close to a bunch of my dreams and I continue to scratch and claw for them.

Su'a, on the other hand, got to the mountain top. He was able to plant his flag on the peak. There is no higher plane for a football player than the NFL. This is in part why many idolize their athletes. Perhaps it's wrong too. That doesn't really matter. The fact that we wear their names and numbers on our backs testifies that they represent something important to us culturally and individually. I imagine part of that is bigger than pro sports. I think it's that all of us who struggle for our dreams get excited at seeing someone realize "THE DREAM."  That's why you are hearing Su'a being discussed in harsh terms. He's sitting at the pinnacle and tossing it away like it was meaningless. He's acting like he doesn't appreciate it. That creates a dissonance. It cries out WRONG!

Now if this isn't his dream,that's okay, but he's battling perception and for all those struggling to fulfill their dream of being a singer, inventor, humanitarian, gazillionaire, etc. it's tough to look at someone throw away their chance. It stings, especially when we know that most of us won't get that shot.

Now, I don't think that's fair to Su'a, but it's real. After all, part of the reason we watch sports is to live vicariously through our athletes. They represent us. They represent our city. In a totally unjustified way and unfair way, they represent the American Dream. We hate when they quit because they represent the needles in the haystack. We want to believe that fulfilling our dreams is possible. We certainly don't want to think about the idea of frittering away opportunity or discarding our dreams. It's for that very reason that so many of us get bent out of shape for the 53rd guy on the roster or the player released who likely would never have seen the field had he made it. We want people to win their dream. We hate the idea of someone throwing it away.

Archived