Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

You're making some bold statement here... I know lots of players that played for this team that many around here would have ran out of town with pitches and forks. Those guys always had the will and desire, but were most often lacking talent.

I agree with you on your assessment, but man...

Will Compton

Reed Doughty

Those are the first two that comes to mind when thinking about what you said.

Could add guys like Paulsen, Polumbus as well... or... Grossman?

Nile Paul. 

If he comes back and with a healthy attitude I'm sure the team and us fans would welcome him back. However, of that happens, I hope the team is able to retroactively work it in his contract so if the goes MIA again, then Skins don't get screwed.

4 minutes ago, dyst said:

If he comes back and with a healthy attitude I'm sure the team and us fans would welcome him back. However, of that happens, I hope the team is able to retroactively work it in his contract so if the goes MIA again, then Skins don't get screwed.

Absolutely.  The only thing is he's on the 'exempt' list so it'll be a while before theres even a chance he steps foot on the field.  IIRC this was the same list Griffin was put on prior to us not exercising his final year option.. Usually this list isn't one that people come back from... 

3 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

A football player Yes.  You have been doing this since age 6 to work to get in the NFL.  no excuses here.  

see I don't.  I think a lot of these guys have been playing football so long it ends up mor like an automatic thing than a choice

12 minutes ago, carex said:

see I don't.  I think a lot of these guys have been playing football so long it ends up mor like an automatic thing than a choice

Not to mention the pressure from 'family' when they see a multi-million $$$ income.  Top tier talents are less mature, and less aware of the pressure of work, than most guys that make it in the NFL.  To assume a 22 year old who has been the best football player on every team he's ever played on is mature enough to realize what it's like to play in the NFL is an unfair assumption. 

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

To assume a 22 year old who has been the best football player on every team he's ever played on is mature enough to realize what it's like to play in the NFL is an unfair assumption. 

No doubt, many of our social skills are honed out of necessity. If the necessity isn't there, well... 

UIts also the reason they spend so much time practicing fundamentals in the NFL (NBA also) many of these guys have never perfected their fundamentals because they have been gifted enough to excel. NFL is the first time it's really made them look like they suck if they don't put in the mental and physical work. 

If it isn't clear, I think this team is way too soft.  Couldn't believe an article I read recently pleading with people to be sensitive with this issue.  Really...football is now about caring for someone's feelings and helping them grow as a person?  Lol, we need a few older guys to teach some of these guys a lesson.  Seriously, at times I can't even believe what I'm reading is about football.  It seriously makes me not even want to watch.  We can no longer treat them as gladiators but instead they need to be treated as cupcakes. Lol, okay.

20 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Cravens looks lit in that pic in the twitter thread.

That's exactly what I thought.  And, why would he want to have that pic out there for all the world to see?

Good read on CSN with regards to the financial aspect of 'retiring': 

"In Cravens’ case, the unearned portion would represent three-fourths of the signing bonus since he only would have fulfilled a fourth of the four-year deal. Doing the math, that comes to about $1.07 million.

That’s a big check to write out. In addition, retiring would cause him to forfeit salaries totaling $2.56 million. That’s a lot of money for a 22-year-old to consider giving up."

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/retirement-could-be-costly-option-sua-cravens

25 minutes ago, owa said:

If it isn't clear, I think this team is way too soft.  Couldn't believe an article I read recently pleading with people to be sensitive with this issue.  Really...football is now about caring for someone's feelings and helping them grow as a person?  Lol, we need a few older guys to teach some of these guys a lesson.  Seriously, at times I can't even believe what I'm reading is about football.  It seriously makes me not even want to watch.  We can no longer treat them as gladiators but instead they need to be treated as cupcakes. Lol, okay.

Actually, believe it or not based on my earlier posts, I tend to agree here.

i don't think we should judge anyone for making a decision based on what they feel is best for their life. 

But the team needs to take a strong stance. In today's world you can't be insensitive, nor do I believe they should be... but they certainly shouldn't have talked him back if he wanted out.

im not sure how it all went down, to be clear. But as much as I support Su'a making a decision that was best for him, I equally support the team saying, "Hey, you have to do what you have to. Give back that X amount of dollars and pack your stuff. I hope you find your calling."

the caveat of course is what's happening behind closed doors. There could be a lot more to this than meets the eye.

3 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

Anyone asked Scott about this on twitter to get his take?

Why? He is more worthless than the USC safety quitter. If he had any marketable  skills he would be employed by an NFL team instead of pretending to still be relevant with his pathetic twitter rants and his quasi scouting service...

Screw Sua and Scot. Redskins > any individual...

Guys, the reporter who tweeted that still of Su'a from his instagram video even apologized about it (after seeing the responses), because he didn't look at it before he tweeted it out and didn't realize how bad it looked. 

He really should've been more careful because, man, damage is done. 

If you watch the video, he's not high. It's just a terrible still on Michael Phillips' end. 

As for the things Su'a said in that video? Yeeeeaaah, not good. :mellow:

Just now, thesubmittedone said:

Guys, the reporter who tweeted that still of Su'a from his instagram video even apologized about it (after seeing the responses), because he didn't look at it before he tweeted it out and didn't realize how bad it looked. 

He really should've been more careful because, man, damage is done. 

If you watch the video, he's not high. It's just a terrible still on Michael Phillips' end. 

As for the things Su'a said in that video? Yeeeeaaah, not good. :mellow:

Why is the entlitled little pansy even on social media now? F him. If he was high he might have an excuse. It's far worse that he is sober... 

5 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Why is the entlitled little pansy even on social media now? F him. If he was high he might have an excuse. It's far worse that he is sober... 

Not sure how to interpret this response or what this has to do with what I said, but ok.

I mean, are you mad that I didn't want this idea that he's high to be perpetuated or something? Did you take it like I was defending everything he's done? 

Cuz, in both instances, you'd be wrong. 

1 minute ago, thesubmittedone said:

Not sure how to interpret this response or what this has to do with what I said, but ok.

I mean, are you mad that I didn't want this idea that he's high to be perpetuated or something? Did you take it like I was defending everything he's done? 

Cuz, in both instances, you'd be wrong. 

I think he's basically thinking out loud like "if you are having emotional distress (Cravens), maybe you should be seeking help and not on social media". Don't think it was geared towards you, but more frustrations with him and his actions.

Just now, dyst said:

I think he's basically thinking out loud like "if you are having emotional distress (Cravens), maybe you should be seeking help and not on social media". Don't think it was geared towards you, but more frustrations with him and his actions.

I hope so, cuz that came off weird. :ols: 

I got no problem if he decides to retire. His choice and truthfully he has to what's right for him. If he has issues I hope he and the Skins help him resolve them. It sounds like the FO is handling this well. I am disturbed of the use of social media right now. I DO have a problem with the timing of his announcement and when he told what to whom. When you work for people and they count on you, you have to keep them in the loop. The only person he has to answer to is his employer.

The other issue is the press. For years I have read that the front office is dysfunctional, A leaking sieve which can't keep a secret. The press got blindsided by this story. Now I see video and hear stories of problems last year. Press where were you on this story?

10 hours ago, carex said:

he's dealing with totally new life experiences in his first significant time as an independent person.  I think it sucks if he does quit, but he's pretty kid like

Every single professional athlete who has ever lived has dealt with this totally new life experience.  Many have had maturity issues and in other sports they are even younger than 22..  How many of them quit before their 2nd year?

Archived