Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

12 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Everyone putting the blame of not knowing more about these potential issues with Su'a and his commitment & maturity on Scot, I think it should considered that Scot didnt singlehandedly do the leg work on everything pertaining to every single prospect.

Its certainly possible that Scot knew about every prospect in terms of film and football ability, in addition to anything he was able to glean from in-person interviews at the senior bowl, shrine game, and combine.

But any detailed research or investigations about a players history, maturity, character, etc. were likely the responsibility of the area scout(s)

If USC went through the trouble to hide him missing time with them, and Su'a was able to give great interviews its easy to see how something like this could be a surprise to everyone. Su'a is intelligent and has charisma so I would not be shocked if he had everyone fooled.

It would be an entire different story if Su'a was looking like a bust on-field, but he has looked the part in all facets of the game dating back to college.

I guess the question is how many guys do they really look into off the field, and what are the methods/resources used for doing so.  

You gotta figure they have their draft board and Cravens must have been near the top of it since they expended a 2nd on him.  Seems like he would be a good candidate for a closer look.

I am wondering if there will be a point that the distraction factor makes it's best to part ways.

How long is it healthy for the team to be in limbo over a 22 year old kid in limbo deciding what he wants to do with his life. The thing I fear is, that a 22 year old that doesn't know what he wants to do, isn't going to figure it out in 4 weeks. Ok ok I am back. my heart was really in it, i just didn't know. When do we get paid again?

It's a real pickle. Maybe we should welcome him back, put him on teams/inactive, and then try to trade him

23 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I've been wrong before, but I get the feeling that Su'a isn't the type to hide his personal life a lot. If he has family/health/relationship/etc issues, I think he would be the first to post them on his social media accounts. Not a knock on him, Some people just feel a need to disclose that kind of stuff. I really don't think that he's taking a few weeks off to help Scotty McGem setle his grandmothers affairs. I think he has lost his desire to do this work thing. Perhaps he'll get through it. If so, I'm sure he'll post it on instagram

That's kind of what I was thinking which is why all the speculation about him quitting due to health concerns has little merit IMO.  Everything he has posted and said verbally says one thing:  I don't like football and do not want to do it anymore. 

54 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

It's a very real possibility that Su'a could be suffering from clinical depression or some other serious mental health issue.  I hope he gets the help he needs.  

It's a real possibility he's an entitled kid that's walked on water most of his life and doesn't enjoy the dark side of football. It could be a lot of things, a combination of issues, etc.  I'm actually surprised that nobody in the media has been able to dig around with at least some "rumored to be..." type stuff.

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I agree with the others who commented on this post.  Every team has former draft picks on the roster like Spaight and Ioannidis.  And every team has 2 backs as good or better then Rob Kelly.  Just being on the team, or starting because the other players at the position are below average, does not mean they are "valuable parts".

The hard truth is SM has had 2 impact players to date in two full drafts and one of them was almost a can't miss safe pick at the cost of a potentially game changing defensive lineman.  Sure some may develop but most have already been released.

True. But I do think that some of those guys can turn into impact  players. Are you saying that none of these guys that I listed can't get better? I would totally disagree with that and I think you would too.

To those trashing Scot's drafts - With all drafts it's not as simple as draft the right player and they will succeed. Good teams not only spend time on getting the right players, but they also have the ability to develop players. A great example is Pittsburgh. For the longest time they never really brought in free agents and built solely through the draft. Did that mean they were just superior at drafting? No. They would take a lot of time developing their players. Often they would draft a position that wasn't an immediate need because it would allow their younger players more time to learn from a successful pro. 

Drafting alone won't ensure success. You need to pick the right players AND commit to developing them over the term of their rookie deal. The best way to identify if you are not on that path is if the team is constantly are replacing rookies on the roster or the team is always going to free agency for depth. 

I'm not saying Scot was amazing or defending anything he's done. I'm simply stating the success of any draft class doesn't operate independently. Let's say this year is a regression and Snyder fires everyone. The next group wants to start fresh, so they care little about the draft picks from 2 GMs ago. Do you think any of Scot's draft picks will be put in a situation to succeed? Essentially with young players you want to avoid the 'sink or swim' approach until you feel they are well equipped to avoid drowning.   

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Dang, Scot's drafts are starting to look fugly. Almost Vinny Cerrato type quality

The thing with Scot was he had a blueprint on how to build a team. Vinny had no blueprint, no vision and should have never been in charge of a roster. Vinny is basically a scout, no more. He should be the guy that comes to a school and works a guy out and gets the info on a player. That is all he ever should have been.  

Every GM misses on players and Scot was no different. I would say his biggest miss was on Jones. That was just a terrible pick. But Bobby B has some really bad ones too. I'm still pissed that he drafted Tory Nixon. 

26 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

Let's not go overboard!

Not that i really care about this a ton anymore, but we basically ended last season with a Scot bashing thread near the top of the page ( which i vehemently disagreed with).

It's easy to forget that with his Shakespearean departure

Total speculation here (as is a lot odlf what we are saying depression/anxiety , homesick etc) 

What if the reason he waited until THE ABSOLUTE LAST MINUTE was. Because Everett and Nicholson had been playing so well in his absence that they got moved ahead of him on the depth chart. That was the last straw for him and he freaked.

Not to mention the fact that he came into a situation that was not going to be 'fixed' in 2 drafts.  Walking into this situation you are more inclined to take chances on difference makers, then you would be to select a 'guy' who could be middle of the pack, but last 10 years.  I dont blame him for swingin for the fences in the early rounds of the drafts.  Game breakers can be risky.  Cris Carter almost ended up being one of the biggest let downs in sports.  Scot had to make a splash, had to take some chances, had to take some guys that had a great amount of upside with them. 

4 hours ago, Alexa said:

True. But I do think that some of those guys can turn into impact  players. Are you saying that none of these guys that I listed can't get better? I would totally disagree with that and I think you would too.

Oh of course they can all get better but it's pretty unrealistic for guys like Ioannidis or Rob Kelly to become true impact players. That is just not realistic.  Maybe, and this is a BIG maybe, Smith can become that player but that's about it from your list.  And again every team in the league has players at this level on their roster from the draft.  Doesn't mean a thing until they actually become impact players, at this point they remain "just guys". So no credit to date for SM.  Nope at this point his drafts have been horrible and I am in the camp that Doctson can be a stud.  Now there's a guy with impact potential. 

3 hours ago, I Love The Skins said:

No they are not.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer Scot over Vinny and Bruce. I liked the energy he brought to the team and the fans. 

But you cannot deny the last two drafts have been rough. Crowder appears to be the lone gem. Scherff was a no-brainer. 

4 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer Scot over Vinny and Bruce. I liked the energy he brought to the team and the fans. 

But you cannot deny the last two drafts have been rough. Crowder appears to be the lone gem. Scherff was a no-brainer. 

It's way too early to judge the last 2 drafts. I still believe in what Ken Beatrice used to say it takes 3 or 4 years to judge a bust or a success.

4 minutes ago, I Love The Skins said:

It's way too early to judge the last 2 drafts. I still believe in what Ken Beatrice used to say it takes 3 or 4 years to judge a bust or a success.

Not to mention this 2017 draft board was set up by Scot too and the team followed it to a T minus one player. 

So my vitriol is premature. 

Thanks for the check. 

Archived