Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Pathetic is still pathetic. Out of 2 full drafts so far we have a starting guard that was drafted 5th overall and a starting WR that was a 4th rounder. There is no sugar coating the results of those drafts so far.

You're leaving out a few guys....Rob Kelly and Preston Smith are starters. Spaight, Docston, Fuller, Dunbar, Everett, Lanier, Ioannidis are valuable parts to the team. There are a lot of guys on the team that were picked by Scot that are good football players. Good football players can be found anywhere, not just in the first few rounds of the draft. 

2 hours ago, DM72 said:

Cousins say that Su'a would be welcomed back with open arms. 

Gruden says that Su'a don't owe the Redskins anything. Knows he has passion for football. Has a lot to decide for a young man.

If those guys close to the situation are saying it, they must know something we do not for them to give Su'a some leeway. Either way, Su'a's handling of this situation and timely comes off as very immature. 

9 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

How many of us go to a job every day we have absolutely no passion for.  Now imagine if we got paid a few million to do it. Ugh.

I think that would up the passion level considerably... 

Sometimes I think there is to much said about finding a job you love... you know the saying, find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life... There are millions of people who don't even consider needing love or passion for a job, their passion and only concern is putting food on the table and paying bills.  We are lucky to live in a country (and in an era) where finding a job we love is even a goal.

Football is a different animal however as it takes passion I suppose to do it well.  So if its missing in Cravens then he should quit and find a job like the rest of us.  Im lucky and have a job/career that I do enjoy but its still work and there are many days Id rather be doing something else but my clients aren't interested in what I want.. they are interested in what they are paying me to do for them.  They sure as hell wouldn't be willing to let me keep the fees they paid me if I decided I needed to quit for some personal issues or me time.

12 minutes ago, Alexa said:

You're leaving out a few guys....Rob Kelly and Preston Smith are starters. Spaight, Docston, Fuller, Dunbar, Everett, Lanier, Ioannidis are valuable parts to the team. There are a lot of guys on the team that were picked by Scot that are good football players. Good football players can be found anywhere, not just in the first few rounds of the draft. 

It just sucks that GMSM was here for such a short time that he wasn't afford time to build a complete roster.  I'd say most of his picks at this point tend to be supporting players. Sherff has potential to be more, but everyone else has yet to emerge.  The team lacks the next level elite players that turn the role players into something more by proxy.

49 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

How many of us go to a job every day we have absolutely no passion for.  Now imagine if we got paid a few million to do it. Ugh.

You know what my job consists of?...Trying to figure out the mental models of users of electronic devices through brainstorming and usability testing and then matching up the information and data with screen design and layout...as well as looking at literally thousands of photos of incredibly hot women in bikinis, lingerie and semi-nudity to both retouch the photos for them and create photo art from pics they either took or had taken for me. I don't really care how much I make lol...

Let me preface this by saying that the way he chose to go about it was not well thought out, but honestly.....I prefer this to the type of Albert Haynesworth-esque method that he could've taken. Cravens very easily could've just half assed it and collected checks, at least for a season or two.

My point is that, if he does lack the desire to play professional football, he certainly isn't the first young player to feel that way. He may be one of the few that's enough of a drama queen to publicly vent about it, though. I honestly think it's more respectable than just showing up and collecting checks.

To each their own, though. I can understand how this would frustrate and anger some fans.

49 minutes ago, Alexa said:

I don't think you can say Spaight, Doctson and Ioannidis are valuable parts to the team just yet...probably some of the others as well.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I don't think you can say Spaight, Doctson and Ioannidis are valuable parts to the team just yet...probably some of the others as well.

is Smith a starter over Galette?  Lanier was basically signed because of Williams.  Dunbar was signed as a WR, he's a credit for coached not GMSM,

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Curtis Martin didn't like football or enjoy playing it and he is a hall of fame running back. Work ethic man, the desire to be great. "Suzy" doesn't have it.

Everyone putting the blame of not knowing more about these potential issues with Su'a and his commitment & maturity on Scot, I think it should considered that Scot didnt singlehandedly do the leg work on everything pertaining to every single prospect.

Its certainly possible that Scot knew about every prospect in terms of film and football ability, in addition to anything he was able to glean from in-person interviews at the senior bowl, shrine game, and combine.

But any detailed research or investigations about a players history, maturity, character, etc. were likely the responsibility of the area scout(s)

If USC went through the trouble to hide him missing time with them, and Su'a was able to give great interviews its easy to see how something like this could be a surprise to everyone. Su'a is intelligent and has charisma so I would not be shocked if he had everyone fooled.

It would be an entire different story if Su'a was looking like a bust on-field, but he has looked the part in all facets of the game dating back to college.

I think Trent Williams said it best, dude is family. Whether this is depression, injury, concerns because of an injury, love for the game, family sickness, or one of a million other reasons, the dude is a person. I started following him because he wore / wears the Burgundy & Gold, but all that means is that I know more about him than I know about John Urschel, but I congratulated Urschel for his decision and without knowing exactly what's going on with Cravens I'm going to put him in my prayers and hope its something as simple as love for the game and not something more serious, possibly career or life threatening.

Stories of playing football or life after football are not Stephen King novels though the headlines sometimes read like one. We've seen stories of the suicide, the illegal drugs to try to match the high, the legal drugs to deal with the punishments and their consequences, the legal but not allowed drugs that can help but can also get you in trouble, the "friends" who just need a few dollars for their ideas, the requirements for players to miss once in a lifetime moments like Cousins with the possibility of missing the birth of his first child, the people hired to manage your money correctly stealing from you, and a whole lot more. People who sit and try to compare this to a 9-5 are oversimplifying what these guys do. 

I also think people are taking that Compton video way too seriously. There's a lot of "talk" in the video, but it could be as simple as he wasn't feeling it that day, or he's not as much of a practice player. Do I need to bring up the Iverson quotes about practice? Or the stuff about Taylor Jacobs and Ryan Grant and how great they are in practice. What about Clinton Portis? Would Compton have gotten in his face for not practicing hard enough? I highly doubt it. Suddenly this has become the Eureka moment that shows us that Cravens has no heart? 

I can't even chastise him for the timing because like I said, I'll treat it like an injury or a personal or family emergency. There's never a perfect time to get injured or have an emergency, and its really selfish of a fan (or the team if they said this, but to my knowledge they haven't) to say that he should have his emergencies when its convenient for us, like he isn't a person. Now what if he's impacted by Harvey either directly or indirectly? What if he's having a Pat Tillman type moment and wishes he could do more. There are so many floating variables that I find it somewhat frustrating that the "group think" has kinda concluded that he doesn't love the game and that he was immature / wrong for doing this after the 53 man roster was finalized. 

I just think he deserves to be treated like a human being and not have the fan base come at him like a pack of wolves who think one of their own has turned against the pack. He's a part of the Redskins family. That should mean something. 

On 9/4/2017 at 5:50 PM, Wildbunny said:

You're making some bold statement here... I know lots of players that played for this team that many around here would have ran out of town with pitches and forks. Those guys always had the will and desire, but were most often lacking talent.

I agree with you on your assessment, but man...

Will Compton

Reed Doughty

Those are the first two that comes to mind when thinking about what you said.

Could add guys like Paulsen, Polumbus as well... or... Grossman?

I know what you meant and I agree with you, but this little blurb made me LOL. I think you meant pitchforks and torches.

On 9/4/2017 at 9:34 PM, owa said:

If it isn't clear, I think this team is way too soft.  Couldn't believe an article I read recently pleading with people to be sensitive with this issue.  Really...football is now about caring for someone's feelings and helping them grow as a person?  Lol, we need a few older guys to teach some of these guys a lesson.  Seriously, at times I can't even believe what I'm reading is about football.  It seriously makes me not even want to watch.  We can no longer treat them as gladiators but instead they need to be treated as cupcakes. Lol, okay.

To a larger extent, I think the NFL in its entirety suffers from this. I once gave a speech in front of my class in a public speaking course in college about why I love football (especially compared to baseball) and my whole premise was that I appreciated the tough mentality that it took to not only excel in the sport of football but toughness was the very attribute that made the sport of football the most exciting sport of all.

The sacrifices these guys put themselves through to be great I had such an appreciation for, and I still do. But the entire league is now suffering from CTE studies (I DO believe that is real problem, btw) and to compound that now I believe most of the rosters are manned by more and more soft-minded millennials that seem to put themselves first over the guy beside him and I think it's eroding the very thing that many people appreciate about football.

I suppose I speak for myself, but I guess this situation with Cravens is making me realize that not only is his situation sad, but so is the state of my favorite sport...let alone my favorite team.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I also think people are taking that Compton video way too seriously. There's a lot of "talk" in the video, but it could be as simple as he wasn't feeling it that day, or he's not as much of a practice player. Do I need to bring up the Iverson quotes about practice? Or the stuff about Taylor Jacobs and Ryan Grant and how great they are in practice. What about Clinton Portis? Would Compton have gotten in his face for not practicing hard enough? I highly doubt it. Suddenly this has become the Eureka moment that shows us that Cravens has no heart? 

I'm not going to address the rest of the post because you are free to feel however you want about his situation.  I think it's ridiculous anytime fans go after atheletes or celebrities on social media, no matter what they did.  So I agree that those actions are stupid.  I dont see anything wrong with talking about it on a message board though.  I don't feel any sort of attachment to the player nor have any real level of compassion for the situation until I hear of a reason to.

As for the piece with Compton, I don't think that's being made into more than it is.  I think it's pretty clear that Compton could tell something has been up with him and Su'a all but confirmed it with saying the amount of days until it's over was his motivation.  I'm not quite sure given what we know now how you can come to any other conclusion than that conversation ties directly to what's going on now.   Jay even admitted this wasn't the first time he discussed retirement with him.  This has to be a lingering issue.

On 9/4/2017 at 9:03 PM, KDawg said:

Actually, believe it or not based on my earlier posts, I tend to agree here.

i don't think we should judge anyone for making a decision based on what they feel is best for their life. 

But the team needs to take a strong stance. In today's world you can't be insensitive, nor do I believe they should be... but they certainly shouldn't have talked him back if he wanted out.

im not sure how it all went down, to be clear. But as much as I support Su'a making a decision that was best for him, I equally support the team saying, "Hey, you have to do what you have to. Give back that X amount of dollars and pack your stuff. I hope you find your calling."

the caveat of course is what's happening behind closed doors. There could be a lot more to this than meets the eye.

America loves its gladiators.

It's not a question of "if guys are tough enough", but "is the game too physically difficult", which is fair now, with cats like Reed.

15 hours ago, Alexa said:

I agree with the others who commented on this post.  Every team has former draft picks on the roster like Spaight and Ioannidis.  And every team has 2 backs as good or better then Rob Kelly.  Just being on the team, or starting because the other players at the position are below average, does not mean they are "valuable parts".

The hard truth is SM has had 2 impact players to date in two full drafts and one of them was almost a can't miss safe pick at the cost of a potentially game changing defensive lineman.  Sure some may develop but most have already been released.

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Jay's presser was telling to me. Maybe it's just hopeful thinking but he strongly implied Cravens is "going through some things" as SM did and maybe this is a temporary situation.   But I don't see it, there were motivational issues last year too. 

I've been wrong before, but I get the feeling that Su'a isn't the type to hide his personal life a lot. If he has family/health/relationship/etc issues, I think he would be the first to post them on his social media accounts. Not a knock on him, Some people just feel a need to disclose that kind of stuff. I really don't think that he's taking a few weeks off to help Scotty McGem setle his grandmothers affairs. I think he has lost his desire to do this work thing. Perhaps he'll get through it. If so, I'm sure he'll post it on instagram

Archived