Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

I'm disappointed as a redskin fan but understanding that your future, health comes first. Playing football is only a part of your life (at the most +10 years) and hopefully you get to spend another 30-40 years enjoying family (kids etc...) 

If Sua wants to preserve his health and step away, good for him bye bye. Trashing him by saying he is soft, no heart is reactionary and something I've seen alot of our fans do to former players who got cut or traded out by this team. Some were deserving like Haynesworth but most were guys who gave their all for the team when they played here but copped alot of flak from fans when they were let go. Let's stay classy guys. 

2 minutes ago, SamoaSkinz said:

I'm disappointed as a redskin fan but understanding that your future, health comes first. Playing football is only a part of your life (at the most +10 years) and hopefully you get to spend another 30-40 years enjoying family (kids etc...) 

If Sua wants to preserve his health and step away, good for him bye bye. Trashing him by saying he is soft, no heart is reactionary and something I've seen alot of our fans do to former players who got cut or traded out by this team. Some were deserving like Haynesworth but most were guys who gave their all for the team when they played here but copped alot of flak from fans when they were let go. Let's stay classy guys. 

I agree except cravens did not give his all. That much is evident.

Some of the responses do indeed suck, but I think it's misguided anger at the general snakebit nature of this team. Su'A seemed like a real talent for us with great potential. This added to the Doctson situation added to the Cousins situation added to the last 20 years of crap ... I'm not surprised fans are lashing out in the most primal of ways. 

But yes, you have to think before you type. Obviously the kid's health, both mental and physical, is the most important commodity here. But man, from a team perspective, this sucks. And it's surprising and disappointing that whatever issues he apparently has with football weren't uncovered before he was drafted. Perhaps that concussion, though, made him rethink everything. If so, can't say I blame him. 

But yes, if someone's talking about retiring already at this point in a game like this ... I don't see how they aren't done already. 

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

But still, blaming Sua's indecisivness on Dan being rightfully upset about a draft pick from when Sua was six years old sounds like it's straight from a Charles Dickens novel.

I completely agree with you. If you want to retire, do it early in the off season. Don't string along your team and teammates until the day after final roster cuts. Completely a me first decision. 

All of the signs were there all along. Another coddled USC product in the age of entitled millennials...

DQC+hero+V3+-+final.jpg

" Cravens, 21, said in a video: “Due to my concussion my eyes have lost the memory to keep track of moving objects, so I have to wear these for the rest of my life.”

Later, Cravens added: “So I had to buy these glasses and I’ll be wearing them for a very long time.”

I'm not even gonna judge the kid. One regret I always had in my life was when I quit freshman football. I wasn't interested in trying out, but my friends, who I played tackle etc with in the neighborhood all the time kept talking me into joining the freshman team. So I joined, not for myself but for them. I got through camp, but I just wasn't having fun. I found some wack way to quit to the team that was medical but in all honesty I just felt it wasn't for me.

To this day though I regret it, I wish I had at least played out the season. And even if I didn't play after that I would have no regrets.. I ran track and cross country instead because I wanted to play sports and I though track would be little easier but it wasn't. I found myself more tired after cross country than I ever did after football. I was tempted to quit again but I told myself I was sick of that and didn't want to repeat my mistake in football. So I ran all through my senior year.

I hope Su'a can make the right decision for himself and not for anyone else..

Personally, I don't blame him or anyone else from walking away from the game. When you see more and more what's happening to ex-players, the hell so many of them go thru. Nothing is worth sacrificing your health or a large portion of your life.

I didn't like the pick, but I can't say it had anything to do with questioning his desire to play the game so I can't say any kind of "I told ya so". I just thought he didn't have a position, just like Preston Smith on a 3-4 team. This whole "They're football players!" mentality doesn't change the fact that if a guy has too many weaknesses at the position you want to play him, it's not going to work. So far, nothing I've seen from Smith or Cravens has changed my mind on that.

I do wonder whether they team did enough homework on Cravens' passion for the game.

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

Personally, I don't blame him or anyone else from walking away from the game. When you see more and more what's happening to ex-players, the hell so many of them go thru. Nothing is worth sacrificing your health or a large portion of your life.

I do wonder whether they team did enough homework on Cravens' passion for the game.

I don't blame anyone either for wanting to walk away especially after a rash of injuries that includes a concussion.  As for his passion for the game, not sure though whether we know that's the issue.  Maybe so. Maybe not.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't blame anyone either for wanting to walk away especially after a rash of injuries that includes a concussion.  As for his passion for the game, not sure though whether we know that's the issue.  Maybe so. Maybe not.

Yeah, I'm not saying I know that that is the issue. Just that it's a question. If a guy walks away after a year in the NFL, it seems fair to wonder if he was a guy who really loved playing. 

I obviously have no way of knowing the answer to that.

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, I'm not saying I know that that is the issue. Just that it's a question. If a guy walks away after a year in the NFL, it seems fair to wonder if he was a guy who really loved playing. 

When a guy walks away the day after final roster cuts it is also fair to question his character, integrity, decision making and selfishness.

9 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah I guess what makes me pause some on the passion drill is researching Cravens as a college prospect -- found some articles that highlighted his passion specifically.  I posted one of those articles on the thread quoting his dad joking that his son loved football even as an infant.   And at the live games I've seen him play, he was one of the players that played with obvious oomph.  He was a pump fisting-energetic bounce off the walls type from what I noticed and it wasn't hard to miss on that with that defense because they had so many laid back guys in contrast.   And even in the Jones article it mentioned him being fired up for the season.

Like you, I don't know of course what's going on with the dude.  But reading that WP article, you could really take it in multiple directions.    But I agree passion for the game could be a variable.  Who knows. 

Can't judge, he's a kid. I've taken jobs I later regretted, couldn't get out of there fast enough. Sucks for us but I never thought he was built to take the pounding at safety and would never be the enforcer type anyway. My issue is how coaches didnt pick up on this earlier, by that video it's pretty clear he wasn't all in. Of course blasting a team sponsor probably earned him a FO chew out session and may have upset him some. Being out of CA doesn't help since they are all a bit loopy out there also lol.

1 hour ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

Can't judge, he's a kid. I've taken jobs I later regretted, couldn't get out of there fast enough. Sucks for us but I never thought he was built to take the pounding at safety and would never be the enforcer type anyway. My issue is how coaches didnt pick up on this earlier, by that video it's pretty clear he wasn't all in. Of course blasting a team sponsor probably earned him a FO chew out session and may have upset him some. Being out of CA doesn't help since they are all a bit loopy out there also lol.

I get the part about the coaches but decisions can be complex.  Lets say they really saw Cravens might be an issue in 2017 but they weren't panicked because they liked their depth.    So they figured something like 75% chance it works out but if it doesn't we got it covered -- we can't fix everything in one off season mindset, etc.

43 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Damn. Dan was actually right lol

yeah the irony is I remember that draft that was like we're going to take a wide receiver and it's going to be Santana Moss cuz I actually watched him when he played and then we took this other guy and I was like like who? 

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

2001 when Dan wanted to draft Santana Moss and Marty overruled him and went with Rod Gardner. In my opinion that's when Dan concluded he is a better personnel man than seasoned NFL executives. The Marty firing and Vinny enablement for nearly a decade after that was the price we paid...

That's Dan throwing a tantrum because a draft pick didn't pan out?

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So

So, if this "list" requires him to miss at least 4 games, then what constitutes Cravens "returning" to the team ?

Is he allowed to practice with the team during that time ?

If not, then how do they define "return" so that he's not "done for the year".

The earlier reports were he is on the non football injury list. Instead they placed him on the reserve/left squad list. If he doesn't return within 5 days he is prohibited from going to Redskins park the remainder of the season. He can't be traded and can request to be removed from the list next league year. He is done for the year effectively...

Archived