Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

I'm not so sure about the ratings 🤔 of the dueling town halls. Everyone slows down to look at the crazy car wreck and barely notices the emergency personnel cleaning it up. 

Trump v Biden is kinda the same thing. Trump is the disasterous wreck and Biden is leading the team to clean it up.

16 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

He ducked a debate with his opponent only to be rewarded with 90 minutes of free air time.

Always good to be reminded of the lack of responsibility cable news execs feel towards being good stewards of our democracy.

If the market demanded that, and it used to but obviously doesn't anymore, that's what they'd do.  They're responsibility isn't to democracy it's to their shareholders.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Dueling town halls. I think the winner will get higher ratings. Other than the cult; who will want to see what a loser has to say. Better to see what the winner says he  will do.

I won’t watch either and find something better to do with my time.

17 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

^ Plus

Thing is, Trump will probably see any situation where he gets more views / better TV ratings as a "win". But if he does his typical Trump routine all that means is more people getting to see him act like a boorish and ignorant narcissist. So the Biden camp may actually be hoping that Trump gets as much viewership as possible. They've been quite content to step to the side and let Trump self-immolate in front of the country thus far. 

34 minutes ago, mistertim said:

... let Trump self-immolate in front of the country thus far. 

The key will be what kind of questions the moderator lets happen, and how, or if, Trump is challenged when he just makes **** up.

If he is given entirely free reign to turn it into a Trump rally/political ad then it should not be broadcast as a Town Hall.

But yeah, this election is significantly about Trump vs Not Trump because that is what he has made it. Are these broadcasts for the apparent 4% undecideds, or to motivate the Trump vs Not Trump supporters to get out and vote.

34 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Dude, Trump will absolutely freak out if Biden gets more viewers and better ratings. It will be hilarious. 

I pay for the extra tier to get MSNBC on Dish, but they have cancelled my ABC channel for months now (negotiations, blah blah).  I have an external antenna (was doing my thing to get everything hooked up the other day when I dropped a TV on my foot.) 

You better believe I'll be watching Joe. 

I love MSNBC, but they gave the cretin in charge waaaaaaayyy too much airtime thinking it would expose him.

It did, but not the way they planned.  I seriously doubt that NBC has thought this through.

5 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

The key will be what kind of questions the moderator lets happen, and how, or if, Trump is challenged when he just makes **** up.

If he is given entirely free reign to turn it into a Trump rally/political ad then it should not be broadcast as a Town Hall.

Yeah I can only hope that after the complete debacle that was the 1st debate, the moderator will be more aggressive at reigning him in. Trying to be "invisible" as a debate moderator works when dealing regular, reasonable human beings. Trump is neither, so it just can't work when he's there.

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Dueling town halls. I think the winner will get higher ratings. Other than the cult; who will want to see what a loser has to say. Better to see what the winner says he  will do.

Trump will win the rating battle in a landslide.  (And it has nothing to do with him being on more channels, either.)

The town hall Trump did in September with George Stepahwhatever was an abject disaster.  That was the one where he chided Biden for not instituting a national mask mandate (despite Biden not being POTUS and having no authority to do so), said that a lot of people, especially waiters, that thought masks were bad, (because that seems like a reasonable thing to say), said he lied to the American public about the severity of the virus because he didn't want to create a panic (yet he called for LIBERATING various states and otherwise went far beyond avoiding panic), claimed that Biden would get rid of protections for preexisting conditions and he would protect them, and that he'd be releasing his great healthcare plan soon.

20 minutes ago, Burgold said:

What I want is for ABC to do the Trump townhall Mystery Science 3000 style with shadowed puppets mocking and critiquing him the whole time.  

Holy **** that is a great idea. I think maybe I'll start a gofundme to get the MST3K guys to do that live for the final debate (if they actually have one and Trump doesn't back out).

7 hours ago, No Excuses said:

He ducked a debate with his opponent only to be rewarded with 90 minutes of free air time.

Always good to be reminded of the lack of responsibility cable news execs feel towards being good stewards of our democracy.

and it's the same network that while fully knowing what an absolute vile slime ball he was still spent years making him a yuge presence and inflating his brand way beyond what would have been otherwise most likely and laughed all the way to the bank...and the cnbc division has had its own bs (inc giving us larry kudlow)...

not that they're "the same", but overall, even given all the positives i could say about many of the reporters involved, my sentiment is "**** all 24/7cable news channels and nbc/fox  in particular among broadcast networks for their lack of civic responsibility that to me overrides the ole "for the shareholders..." dealio

**** that ****---i vote with my viewership/wallet to and i never turn on anything nbc/fox anymore, not even their football coverage...and i'm not experiencing any lack of quality programming alternatives in my viewing (i'd have no hesitation about doing the same with abc or cbs were i of a mind)

it's typically human to wring hands while ignoring how effective and simple that old choice of "boycott" or "vote with your feet/wallet too" is in the real world in so many matters, and how comparatively easy it would be to evoke change if people reacted en masse (and it has happened and been shown to be the case more than once)

and in this case, it's such an easy thing to do, really---give up something you like for a greater good, especially for something as trivial as "my shows",  knowing these days  there's just a ton of other alternatives and lots of good stuff out there that you never even get to

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

Holy **** that is a great idea. I think maybe I'll start a gofundme to get the MST3K guys to do that live for the final debate (if they actually have one and Trump doesn't back out).

and it was when a couple of us not named burgold tossed it out a few weeks ago :D

31 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

but overall, even given all the positives i could say about many of the reporters involved, my sentiment is "**** all 24/7cable news channels and nbc/fox  in particular among broadcast networks for their lack of civic responsibility that to me overrides the ole "for the shareholders..." dealio

Agreed.  While I may agree with the likes of Maddow & Hayes more politically, I just got to the point where I couldn't stand the cable news format period.  It has done little to actually educate anyone on the issues and more just turned politics into juvenile bickering over who has the most soundbites they can toss at someone.

Archived