Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So how did you deal with your family, friends who are Trump supporters or just voted for him, because he was GOP?

88Comrade2000

Just now, Riggo-toni said:

My grandfather was a Republican Senator for 24 years, and my uncle for 18...and I don't know of anyone in my family who voted for Trump, despite decades of being staunch Republicans.

I have a very close friend, former college roommate, who was an anybody but Hillary so I'm voting for Trump guy. He's very intelligent - fluent in several languages and is a corporate lawyer, but is a deeply religious family man, and seems more interested than anything in getting more conservative justices on the SCOTUS. Nowadays when we talk, it's mostly just about music and stuff. I haven't spoken to him in the last week - we live on opposite sides of the country - but I would imagine/hope he'd be disgusted by events, although he does think CNN is just liberal news and I don't know exactly how Faux News has been projecting this stuff.

That's the thing, of the small handful of people I know that did vote for Trump, all were of the "anyone but Hillary" mindset.  And all of them admitted they didn't like him either and were supporting the other republican candidates up until he beat them out.  And they adopted the same mindset of not voting for a libertarian like Gary Johnson (whom I actually thought was the best candidate) because it would be a wasted vote and not one that would hurt HC's chances.

I disliked both candidates, but there wasn't any chance in hell I was voting for him, I voted for HC.  I didn't vote for Gary Johnson (which my wife did) because everyone knew he didn't even have a chance to make the debates, much less win an election.  Then the nightmare happened and here we are :angry:

The one I know who I suspect did, but I'm not absolutely sure, just really, really hated the Clintons and may have been wronged by them personally (though in a minor way).

We still talk politics a little, but mostly touch on other subjects. There has been an admission of error and regret. That helps.

My family are either Democrats or Independents.   Some were Hillary supporters and some were Bernie supporters.

I've been voting third party, where possible since 2004. I don't regret my vote in 2016 for Gary Johnson and you want to blame me for Trump winning, fine. I plan on voting third party again in the future where possible but if it's just GOP vs DEM; I will vote DEM unless that candidate is John Kasich.  The GOP needs to be destroyed.

So, no problems with me or the family; we agree about Trump.

The friends I grew up with, that I have as friends on FB; many of them are Trumpsters.   I really don't say anything to them when they post Pro- Trump stuff and they really don't say anything to me, when I post anti- Trump stuff.  At least of couple of my friends have posted stuff about keeping the confederate stuff around; real big in WV. Kind or ironic, since WV split with Virginia over slavery. One friend share this black guy, talking about how he had no problem with confederate memorabilia.

I have alot of FB friends, that I just know, only through online, who are more liberal and are very distressed right now. I offer my support, when I agree with them. Especially about Trump.

Some of former co-workers are you typical GOPer. 

One friend loved Trump, but I don't really say much to her. Just saying your guy is on track to be the worst Prez ever.

My other friend, who thinks I went to the dark side, is just like TWA.I tell her, we just disagree. I still remain friends with her because I use her as a reference on occasion.  She replies with the typical FOX News/Talk Radio talking point.  She is hopeless.  She has that typical ingrained GOP view.

It is hard sometimes to stay out of these heated discussions.

I haven't really talk much about Trump to my dad's patients that are pro-Trump; I have with those that are anti-Trump.

Trump is the ultimate divider.

If did have any friend, someone I actually know or just online friend and they pushed their Trump **** on me; I would have to cease being friends with them.

I live in the weird bubble that is San Francisco.  I do not think that a single person I know out here voted for Trump.  A few abstained from the election because they didn't like Hillary.

Everyone out here is just utterly perplexed at what is going on outside our bubble.  It's like a weird story or movie that you just can't related to all, that you have no frame of reference for.

I'm sure that some of my Virginia/North Carolina relatives voted for Trump, but I just don't discuss it with them.  And I don't do Facebook.

3 minutes ago, Predicto said:

I live in the weird bubble that is San Francisco.  I do not think that a single person I know out here voted for Trump.  A few abstained from the election because they didn't like Hillary.

Everyone out here is just utterly perplexed at what is going on outside our bubble.  It's like a weird story or movie that you just can't related to all, that you have no frame of reference for.

I'm sure that some of my Virginia/North Carolina relatives voted for Trump, but I just don't discuss it with them.  And I don't do Facebook.

Good to have you back!

My MIL just left to return to the east bay area, and we talked a bit about politics while she was here.  She entered the conversation with the expectation that since I live in VA  I voted for Trump.  When I told her point blank I didn't vote for him, it ended the conversation. It's like she built up an offensive to "change my mind" and lost steam when she didn't need to.

Just now, Rdskns2000 said:

My family are either Democrats or Independents.   Some were Hillary supporters and some were Bernie supporters.

I've been voting third party, where possible since 2004. I don't regret my vote in 2016 for Gary Johnson and you want to blame me for Trump winning, fine. I plan on voting third party again in the future where possible but if it's just GOP vs DEM; I will vote DEM unless that candidate is John Kasich.  The GOP needs to be destroyed.

Nobody should be blaming you for voting for Gary Johnson, it's your right to vote for whomever you choose.  My wife, she voted for him and that's fine.  Me personally, I didn't hate HC by any means, but felt like a vote for a Libertarian candidate, in this particular election, was a null vote (talking big picture) as it didn't help or hurt either of the two candidates (rep. and dem.).

My wife thinks that was a bad way  of thinking and said she would not vote for the lesser of two evils and vote who she thought is the best candidate.  She is of the mindset that voting the lesser of two evils and not the best candidate (in this case Libertarian) is why nothing will ever change.  I respect that stance.  At the same time, because the way politics are heavily shifted towards two parties, I felt like my vote was better served on voting for HC.  

We need to revamp the entire election process anyhow, imo, so it includes a third party (Libertarian) in all three of the debates, regardless.  Otherwise, we are stuck with the norm (which is why it won't change, cause neither the dems or repubs want that).

I'd say the majority of my closest friends either voted for Trump or 3rd party.  And pretty much all of them are more concerned about their kids sports, school or their own daily lives than anything going on with Trump.  Sure they'll say things like "that's crazy!"  but then whistle on down the road.

I'd bet serious money that if the election were rerun today in Manatee County, there wouldn't be much of a difference in the totals.

the same way i dealt with it during the primaries/election

i explain that I think he is dumb, not equipped for the job, and has no idea what he is doing.

it's not about caring about his policies (lol what policies), or liking him or hating him.

i don't claim it's successful, but it allows me to be happy enough with my answer without getting into large fights about nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

20800198_10210575941295737_6063141947717

This is what one my friends, which I had known since Junior High, posted on his FB feed.  I don't say anything but this is the typical West Virginian.

One thing wrong with that, that isn't our flag.  Sadly, though many believe that it is.

When he says that he 'salutes our flag', is he talking about the one shown in the graphic flown by secessionist traitors, or some other flag?

Like the one or two Trump supporters in my friends circle never got an invite again. Most conservative or right leaning people in my circle are RINO's who are repulsed by Agent Orange. Not many die hard Trumpers to find in urban millennial circles. 

I had an aunt who voted for him but I was never close with her.

2 hours ago, twa said:

I thought that was just a hobby?

Lot of similarities.

I spend a lot of time on it and there's all kinds of tools and instruments I use strewn all over the place and often the final result is a botched project that I end up....scrapping.

28 minutes ago, tshile said:

not eating bacon is definitely a deal breaker for me and the liberals

maybe one day they will eat bacon and i can reconsider their group

Come to the light, my friend. I am left of liberal and I *CRUSH* bacon.

4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Like the one or two Trump supporters in my friends circle never got an invite again. Most conservative or right leaning people in my circle are RINO's who are repulsed by Agent Orange. Not many die hard Trumpers to find in urban millennial circles. 

I had an aunt who voted for him but I was never close with her.

How could anyone be repulsed by Agent Orange?  Sure, as they became somewhat of a Social Distortion mirror image their sound changed a bit.  But even their mid 90s stuff was pretty solid.

2 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

I'd say the majority of my closest friends either voted for Trump or 3rd party.  And pretty much all of them are more concerned about their kids sports, school or their own daily lives than anything going on with Trump.  Sure they'll say things like "that's crazy!"  but then whistle on down the road.

I'd bet serious money that if the election were rerun today in Manatee County, there wouldn't be much of a difference in the totals.

Honestly, it's those people I have the biggest problem with.

It's like you took a dump all over my living room floor and went to mall.

Some people i knew as kids have definitely made it easier to leave the past in the past and drop them.

i figure he or she won't mind, obviously we're much different adults. Knowing you 35 years ago means nothing.

~Bang

3 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

How could anyone be repulsed by Agent Orange?  Sure, as they became somewhat of a Social Distortion mirror image their sound changed a bit.  But even their mid 90s stuff was pretty solid.

I like their cover of Seek and Destroy.

I'm starting to give my parents a lot of **** for it.  Got into an email debate with my mom today about Charlottesville.  

Every time I send something to my dad, he replies with an article about how well the GDP is doing.  That's all he cares about, the economy.  Well, I haven't talked to him about Charlottesville but he being Jewish, I can't imagine he'll have much to defend.

I don't know anyone else who voted for him, nor do I really care.  I think we're living in a weird/dangerous time where people just automatically assume things about people that vote a certain way.  Like some in this thread, they have friends that voted for Trump and they can get along with them just fine.  I'm not sure when someones voting record became the biggest ****ing deal in the world, but it's like people that voted for Trump are wearing a scarlet letter these days.  Then there are the people who love to brag about cutting off people who voted for Trump, which I don't understand...it's like they can't bother to associate with anyone who has a different viewpoint or one that they might not like.

I get on facebook once every few days but there's almost ALWAYS this guy on my feed who I used to hang with at a bar in Fairfax 8-10 years ago.  He's since moved from the area, we used to talk trash about sports and stuff.  Good guy, I liked him...but every..single...post is anti-Trump.  They used to be funny, they used to be amusing but now it's just ravenous anger and aggression.  I'm not sure if he's stable, honestly.  I get the hate for Trump but I think people get too wrapped up in it and consumed with it.  

We have a nice mix of Republicans, Independents, and Democrats in the family but the only one who voted for Trump was my 24-year-old nephew who just got out of the Navy about 8 months ago.

I'm the only Republican that voted for Hillary while the rest decided to skip voting for POTUS and they just voted down ballot.

I definitely wouldn't write off a family member because they voted Trump, it's family so that's not an option.

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

I think people put way too much effort into judging others because of who they support politically.  I've met too many reasonable people that happen to support Trump to lump everyone into a tidy little basket of deplorables.

I try not to, but I judge people subconsciously.  Especially white males.  I look at how white males are dressed, their hair styles, how they present themselves and I judge whether or not the person before me is sympathetic to Trump or not.

I assume that most women and minorities aren't, but the white guys... you never know.

Archived