Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

51 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Redskins are one of a number of teams to repay a 'cap loan' back in relation to a CBA clause from 2010-11 that allowed teams to loan space when the overall cap was deceasing.

Reduces our available space to 11mil, a reduction of 4.5mil via the repayment. Shopping all but done I would say.

we should not have to repay anything after they stole 36 mil from us.

11 mil is still a decent amount...don't forget DHall cap savings...cut or pay cut will save us between 3-4 mil....Niles Paul can save us another 2 mil...maybe Lavauo takes a pay cut.......the draft picks won't take up much cap room....we have approx 8 mil rookie pool for 10 picks....subtract 10 guys who are currently on the top 51 and that will save around 6 mil.

Yeah we can definitely make more and sign more.  perhaps we are going to extend some players and lock them up for years to come like Moses and Long.

I think people need to stop going gaga and getting irate that we aren't signing Hankins.  Neither are 30 other teams he didn't play for last year.  Perhaps they see it as a Fat Albert type situation where he wants so much and balled in a contract year yet many of you bring up stats that he hasn't improved in past two seasons.

I trust Tomsula on what he wants/likes to work with talent and player wise over us fanatics cause he was a high ranked FA.   So was Baker and it's not like he was Reggie White (though some act like he was close, joking).

As the Tuna always said, let the coach pick the groceries and Hankins is pricing himself like Waygu steak when he's more like Chuck Blade.  Ha.

Let it go folks, I'm sure Schaeffer has numbers in his head for all players we are willing to pay in free agency, including Kirk obviously.    IMHO

Do some of you not think we've thrown out an offer of $6m a year for 5 years to Hankins? We may or may not have made a call. But unless he signed it, you wouldn't know. So relax. I'm sure the team has done its due diligence. Would I love Hank? Yes. But obviously 31 other teams are playing the same game here. And maybe he wants no part of DC. We really don't know and likely never will

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Do some of you not think we've thrown out an offer of $6m a year for 5 years to Hankins? We may or may not have made a call. But unless he signed it, you wouldn't know. So relax. I'm sure the team has done its due diligence. Would I love Hank? Yes. But obviously 31 other teams are playing the same game here. And maybe he wants no part of DC. We really don't know and likely never will

No. I don't think they have. Has he planned a visit?

No.

Has he come to Redskins Park?

No.

Was there ANY talk about interest, like there was about Logan?

No.

So, no, I don't think there was any effort made to sign him. It may be that he never got off the 10 million per year deal he started with, and we are not going to pay it. And I'm ok with that.

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

31 other teams don't have the same needs on DL as Skins so it's highly unlikely that 31 are at all interested in him as they already have adequate players there. Skins do not. At all. 

45 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

31 other teams don't have the same needs on DL as Skins so it's highly unlikely that 31 are at all interested in him as they already have adequate players there. Skins do not. At all. 

Maybe not 31 other teams, but there are others that have DL needs. Miami has been discussed as having interest in Hankins. Do don't know who else may have had some interest. The point they were making is that the Redskins are not the only team in need yet he sits there. Most telling is that his own team is not willing to pay him.

Not saying we should not be looking at him. But he is not a pay him what he wants guy - especially if he wants $10M.

10 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Maybe not 31 other teams, but there are others that have DL needs. Miami has been discussed as having interest in Hankins. Do don't know who else may have had some interest. The point they were making is that the Redskins are not the only team in need yet he sits there. Most telling is that his own team is not willing to pay him.

Not saying we should not be looking at him. But he is not a pay him what he wants guy - especially if he wants $10M.

We shouldn't, not at 10 million. But the Giants have some pretty serious Cap issues, but might be willing to do some things to get him signed.

Just now, Morneblade said:

We shouldn't, not at 10 million. But the Giants have some pretty serious Cap issues, but might be willing to do some things to get him signed.

There was some talk on N.Y. radio this week that the Nats want Joe Thomas LT from the Browns. He gets 11.5 mill a year and if they get him then there is no money for Hankins. That jerk Mira then said he has faith in Flowers but we will see. The Nats are going all in this year as Eli is getting up there and they said that they feel they are better than the Eagles and the Boys as the Boys have fallen. No mention of the Redskins so of course they have no respect for us. Cheers.

I'd be thrilled if we devoted some of the extra cap monies to Long and Moses now. Especially after seeing som of the Oline contracts this year.

Think if we locked KC up last year for 20 mil per year LTD. We'd be looking like geniuses. The market on Olineman skyrocketed this year it seems. Each year will escalate from here. I would lock Moses and Long to 4-5 year deals now

14 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Is Hankins still not on a team... He should fire his agents yesterday. 

Can we all get off the Hankins' bandwagon? He wants to resign with the Giants. He'll only leave if other teams meet his high demand of 10 mil a year, which imo he's not worth it. Highest bid thus far was from the Dolphins for little under 8 mil. 

Prediction: signs with New York Giants for around 7 million, 1 year.

1 hour ago, MEANDWARF said:

Can we all get off the Hankins' bandwagon? He wants to resign with the Giants. He'll only leave if other teams meet his high demand of 10 mil a year, which imo he's not worth it. Highest bid thus far was from the Dolphins for little under 8 mil. 

Why? Hes the best player at possibly our biggest hole and his team is lowballing him. Offer him a LTD at $8 and shut the middle of our D down.

18 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's how the Redskins current roster stacks out + measurable with 49ers ROUGH comparable ranked in rough order of how they'd be on the depth chart today

DE: Comparison to Justin Smith / Ray McDonald sizes (270 to 290)

- Terrell McClain: 6'1 291

- Austin Lanier: 6'6 270

NT: Comparison to Isaac Sopoaga size (315+)

- Phil Taylor: 6'3 335

- NT Joey Mbu: 6'3 313

DE/NT: Comparison to Aubrayo Franklin / Ricky Jean Francois sizes (295 to 310)

- Stacy McGee: 6'3 308

- Matt Ioannidis: 6'3 299. 

- Ziggy Hood: 6'3 300

- AJ Francis: 6'5 309

Keep in mind that the 49ers under Manusky/Tomsula really only had 5 primary DL that played a majority of the snaps and 3 staunch starters. While Sopoaga did take over the NT position full-time, a couple guys like RJF and Aubrayo Franklin played both NT and DE in rotations.

From the looks of where we currently stand ... I would say that the team should expect Terrell McClain to hold down one END spot as a starter. Stacy McGee would likely play the other END spot and rotate in at NOSE ala Aubrayo Franklin. Matt Ioannidis and Austin Lanier are young with higher upside and could challenge to be the 4th and 5th guys in that rotation. So what's missing? I doubt Phil Taylor is our answer at NT ... we need our ISAAC SOPOAGA ... a 6'1 320+ type player. I bet we get that in the draft. AND ... if we can find a solid END in the draft to complement McClain and McGee ... bonus ...

I know this is likely better place in the draft thread, so I'll post that over there too. But I bet we are done in FA on the DL, and if you look at who we brought in, who we have, and who we likely will get in the draft, it makes complete sense for us to be done.

Where does Preston Smith fit into this at 6-5 270, or Trent Murphy at 6-5 280. It seems like they're right there in that Justin Smith range as well

19 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

Like...but don't like

I'm not a huge fan of leaning on coaches to "coach 'em up" and make an entire position group of average players into good ones. That's basically how Allen portrayed it, as it relates to free agent talent upgrades on the DL.  

Callahan had some pieces to work with, Tomsula isn't getting blessed with the luxury, IMO. At least not in the first season.  Callahan had an elite LT, then got a top 5 pick at RG right off the bat.  We'll see if they go DL with the first pick.

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why? Hes the best player at possibly our biggest hole and his team is lowballing him. Offer him a LTD at $8 and shut the middle of our D down.

Do you really want to sign him to a multi-year at 8 mil a year(with some guarantee cash), and then find out later that he is not worth "jack" outside of a Spagnuolo system? Because we have been down this road before and it wasn't pretty. 

Obviously football people around the NFL feel that he is not worth a multi-year at 8 mil otherwise he would have been signed by now. And by all accounts he's not going to sign a 1 year prove it deal. 

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports some teams don't consider free agent DT Johnathan Hankins an impact player.

It explains why teams haven't met his asking price. Hankins is holding out for a multi-year deal at $8-plus million annually, but that's unlikely to happen in the second wave of free agency. Miami and the Giants are the only teams connected to Hankins at this point. Hankins may ultimately have to settle for a prove-it deal.

Isn't Zach Brown still available? I'm aware that when we pick at #17, one of the stud ILBs will be available (Foster, Cunningham, Reddick), but if we signed Brown, we'd be able to concentrate on adding an impact DL/CB/S with that first pick. Unfortunately, there aren't any 1st round worthy NTs, but the best on board DE would be welcome.

I know this is more draft related, but if we end up with Wormley anywhere before the 6th round, it'll put me over the edge with our gutwrenchingly poor DL talent evaluation.

2 hours ago, MEANDWARF said:

This implies he has to really be overpaid to leave the Giants -- just more money isn't enough for him to bolt.  Maybe so but unless we are talking directly to his agent, there is no way to know that.  If anything perception wise with the NY media, Hankins comes off as a mercenary and will go to the highest bidder versus teams really have to go crazy for him to leave his beloved Giants.

2 hours ago, MEANDWARF said:

Do you really want to sign him to a multi-year at 8 mil a year(with some guarantee cash), and then find out later that he is not worth "jack" outside of a Spagnuolo system? Because we have been down this road before and it wasn't pretty. 

His best year actually was for Fewell not Spags ironically.  I am ok with your overall point which is people need to chill on Hankins -- if the coaching staff isn't sold on him, it is what it is, move on.  Mentally, I have moved on.    I said this days ago at this point, I am rooting for another team to sign Hankins versus the Giants.  I am presuming we aren't in on this dance.  So go Dolphins, go Lions -- get Hankins.  I want the Giants weaker.  And the Giants according to NY media want him back.

16 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Isn't Zach Brown still available? I'm aware that when we pick at #17, one of the stud ILBs will be available (Foster, Cunningham, Reddick), but if we signed Brown, we'd be able to concentrate on adding an impact DL/CB/S with that first pick. Unfortunately, there aren't any 1st round worthy NTs, but the best on board DE would be welcome.

I know this is more draft related, but if we end up with Wormley anywhere before the 6th round, it'll put me over the edge with our gutwrenchingly poor DL talent evaluation.

You hate Wormley that much?

Just now, Hail2theSkins24 said:

You hate Wormley that much?

Slight exaggeration, I'd begin consider him in the 4th, depending on which other DLs are on the board. His early hype as a 1st rounder has completely died down and he should be around in the 2nd when we pick. My worry is that we grab him there.

Archived