Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hopefully Brown is not using us for leverage but it's happened plenty of times before.   However, if we would do the sensible thing and cut Hall (4 mill saved) and Lava (3 or 4 mill saved) we could easily sign Brown.

Yeah I wonder about the same.  Not being sarcastic but I can see Zach's agent saying to him look Bruce probably offers us 3 or 4 million and tries to sweet talk us into take a below market deal but its worth the effort to do that dance because we need some leverage against the Raiders for them to up their offer some.  I was checking out twitter and it sounds like in South Florida they think they are already outbid by Oakland and thus out of the running.  

I got to go back and retrace the story on Zach but the impression I have was that it started with Oakland versus Miami and Buffalo.  Then it came out Buffalo's offer wasn't competitive with the other two teams, and I just read something that Miami's offer isn't competitive with Oakland.  So Zach's agent might be out of leverage.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I wonder about the same.  Not being sarcastic but I can see Zach's agent saying to him look Bruce probably offers us 3 or 4 million and tries to sweet talk us into take a below market deal but its worth the effort to do that dance because we need some leverage against the Raiders for them to up their offer some.  I was checking out twitter and it sounds like in South Florida they think they are already outbid by Oakland and thus out of the running.  

I got to go back and retrace the story on Zach but the impression I have was that it started with Oakland versus Miami and Buffalo.  Then it came out Buffalo's offer wasn't competitive with the other two teams, and I just read something that Miami's offer isn't competitive with Oakland.  So Zach's agent might be out of leverage.

Makes sense and I'm not getting my hopes up but if he's only looking for 6 mill a year we should jump on signing him real quick.  He'd be worth every penny.

Would be really nice to land him, but like most of you are saying it'd be a surprise. Don't see us outbidding anyone, but you never know. Positive thoughts. 

Updated the thread title either way. 

5 hours ago, MEANDWARF said:

We're being outbid by the Niners?!?!?!

lol

49ers signed RB Tim Hightower, formerly of the Saints.

After being out of the league for three seasons, Hightower restored his career in New Orleans, gaining 1,252 total yards and scoring nine times in two seasons. The 49ers recently re-signed DuJuan Harris, but Hightower should be the favorite to back up Carlos Hyde. Considering Hyde's injury history, that likely means Hightower will earn a few starts in 2017.

Fake news.  We were not outbid because we never made an offer.  Redskins worked him out but our interest was only in gauging where he was in case we needed to add a veteran once the season started in the event of injury to one of our guys.

3 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Bruce must know what Brown wants...why would they waste time to bring him in if they aren't serious?

4 years, 24 mil....simple.

Signing Brown would be as big or bigger coup than signing Pryor?

19 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Makes sense and I'm not getting my hopes up but if he's only looking for 6 mill a year we should jump on signing him real quick.  He'd be worth every penny.

I hear you on that.  I am not getting my hopes up either.  As Keim said the impression agents get now about the Redskins in FA, they are all about winning the deal.  I just don't see how this is a win the deal type of scenario.   It seems very unlike a typical Bruce signing:  The combination of a top tier player and outbidding multiple teams to land the target.   His bread and butter seems to be going after 2nd tier FAs without much competition for their services.    Getting Zach would definitely surprise me in a good way about Bruce.

We were talking about speed in the draft thread.  IMO the need for speed extends to MLB.  Zach gives that side line to side line speed that is missing now IMO.   It would be an ironic signing if it went down because the last big score at MLB in FA was also a dude who last played in Buffalo, London Fletcher.  But again, I'd be surprised if they do this.   

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hear you on that.  I am not getting my hopes up either.  As Keim said the impression agents get now about the Redskins in FA, they are all about winning the deal.  I just don't see how this is a win the deal type of scenario.   It seems very unlike a typical Bruce signing:  The combination of a top tier player and outbidding multiple teams to land the target.   His bread and butter seems to be going after 2nd tier FAs without much competition for their services.    Getting Zach would definitely surprise me in a good way about Bruce.

We were talking about speed in the draft thread.  IMO the need for speed extends to MLB.  Zach gives that side line to side line speed that is missing now IMO.   It would be an ironic signing if it went down because the last big score at MLB in FA was also a dude who last played in Buffalo, London Fletcher.  But again, I'd be surprised if they do this.   

Agreed with the signing.  It wouldn't break my heart if we signed another ILB early in the draft as well.  Right now what we have there isn't much to speak of.  The instincts are there with who we have but the talent is lacking.

2 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

1) 27 year old ILB

2) playmaker

3) At a position we need to upgrade

4) From the DC area

All true but look at how Bruce spends.  Hope he gives Brown the 6 mill a year he's looking for.

15 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Bruce must know what Brown wants...why would they waste time to bring him in if they aren't serious?

4 years, 24 mil....simple.

I am sure Bruce is always dead serious about landing a bargain deal.  Maybe he could talk Zach into doing what Pryor did which is hey you aren't getting a multi-year deal for the money you want, so why not sign a one year deal with us?

I don't mind Bruce's frugal approach but I like it only to an extent.  IMO often you indeed have to be the highest bidder to land your target and commit guaranteed money in future years.  It's good that Bruce can land some nice bargains but also I'd like to see more -- we want this guy and we did what it took to land them approach.  It's like to see a balance of those two approaches.  So like I said if Bruce lands Zach I'd be impressed.

The other part of it for me is I hate approaching every off season like the sky isn't falling on defense where it seems like we are putting lipstick on a pig.    The Giants saw their defense being the joke that it was in 2015 and acted accordingly in FA.   Signing Zach Brown would be IMO at least closer in stature to the Giant FA signings on defense.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am sure Bruce is always dead serious about landing a bargain deal.  Maybe he could talk Zach into doing what Pryor did which is hey you aren't getting a multi-year deal for the money you want, so why not sign a one year deal with us?

I don't mind Bruce's frugal approach but I like it only to an extent.  IMO often you indeed have to be the highest bidder to land your target and commit guaranteed money in future years.  It's good that Bruce can land some nice bargains but also I'd like to see more -- we want this guy and we did what it took to land them approach.  A balance of those two approaches.  So like I said if Bruce lands Zach I'd be impressed.

The other part of it for me is I hate approaching every off season like the sky isn't falling on defense where it seems like we are putting lipstick on a pig.    The Giants saw their defense being the joke that it was in 2015 and acted accordingly in FA.   Signing Zach Brown would be IMO at least closer in stature to the Giant FA signings on defense.  

I think you have to give Brown a multi year deal and the one that SP4Life mentioned is spot on as far as the numbers go per average a year.   I can see your point though especially with Brown being from the DC metro area on a 1 year deal.  The only thing that's bad about it is you have to restart negotiations all over again and we are not the Patriots or the Packers, ala consistent playoff teams.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't mind Bruce's frugal approach but I like it only to an extent.  IMO often you indeed have to be the highest bidder to land your target and commit guaranteed money in future years.  It's good that Bruce can land some nice bargains but also I'd like to see more -- we want this guy and we did what it took to land them approach.  A balance of those two approaches.  So like I said if Bruce lands Zach I'd be impressed.

I'd rather sign him long term, but I could see us doing a 1 year, 4 mil guaranteed, plus an extra 2 mil in incentives....similar to Pryor, as you said.

I also really want this signing to make me feel better about drafting McCaffrey

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Agreed with the signing.  It wouldn't break my heart if we signed another ILB early in the draft as well.  Right now what we have there isn't much to speak of.  The instincts are there with who we have but the talent is lacking.

All true but look at how Bruce spends.  Hope he gives Brown the 6 mill a year he's looking for.

To me there are too many just "guys" on defense coupled with decent-good players.  I don't like putting so much pressure on the draft:   IMO we need a nose tackle, 5 technique DE, MLB, speed edge rusher.  And it wouldn't hurt to take a corner and free safety in a draft that's deep for both positions.  It's a long shopping list. 

And while I agree you can't fix everything in one off season -- it makes it easier to make some positions less desperate.   And I am of the school that you can get away with a mediocre MLB crew IF you have a stellar D line but IMO its tough to argue they have that.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To me there are too many just "guys" on defense coupled with decent-good players.  I don't like putting so much pressure on the draft:   IMO we need a nose tackle, 5 technique DE, MLB.  And it wouldn't hurt to take a corner and free safety in a draft that's deep for both positions.  It's a long shopping list. 

And while I agree you can't fix everything in one off season -- it makes it easier to make some positions less desperate.   And I am of the school that you can get away with a mediocre MLB crew IF you have a stellar D line but IMO its tough to argue they have that.

Yes, SIP that's the unknown and I agree with your assessment on the D, if we have that.  We can have a piece of the puzzle if we are fortunate enough to land Brown to a multi year deal.  We will definitely be active in the draft on D.

19 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

1) 27 year old ILB

2) playmaker

4) From the DC area

One con though, he's a bit of a one year wonder with an injury history. So there's that. I believe that's why teams aren't meeting his asking price. 

But yeah, would be an excellent signing considering what we have on the roster I think. 

35 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Fake news.  We were not outbid because we never made an offer.  Redskins worked him out but our interest was only in gauging where he was in case we needed to add a veteran once the season started in the event of injury to one of our guys.

5 hours ago, I Love The Skins said:

I think if the Skins wanted to sign Tim Hightower is would have happened the day he visited..

I was being sarcastic.

42 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

1) 27 year old ILB

2) playmaker

4) From the DC area

Those are all great points, but the only way we get this done is if Manusky creates a brand new defense that calls for 3 ILBs. To take Will Compton or Mason Foster off the field would be absolutely criminal.

/Redskins Park scouting notes

Just now, NickyJ said:

Those are all great points, but the only way we get this done is if Manusky creates a brand new defense that calls for 3 ILBs. To take Will Compton or Mason Foster off the field would be absolutely criminal.

/Redskins Park scouting notes

You being serious or sarcastic?    I'll assume you're joking

Archived