Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

I keep mentioning Foster out of obligation as he seems the most likely to drop, if forced to pick 1 guy who might........but let's stop the nonsense, & accept that it's all but a given that he goes top 10.  Don't think the Bears pass up on him, ever...let alone about 5 other teams in the top 15.

It could happen...as anything can.  But i would say it's about as likely as Cleveland taking DeShaun Watson @ #1 ahead of Garrett.  

If we sign ZB, i suddenly put Peppers at #1 on our board, followed by McCaffrey, & then Cunningham as far as likely picks.  

39 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

You make a good point if it was factual however smaller athletic linebackers are the norm in todays NFL. But Foster is not what you say he is. He is being compared to Luke Keuckly so he is so much more than just a hard hitter. I think he is a hyper athletic tone setter. A steal at 17. His weight has been listed between  220 and 240 so he ain't no 90 lb weakling. Zac Brown would be nice but he ain't no Reuben. 

No, they aren't. You are starting to see some hybrid players like what we tried to do with Cravens last year, but they are far from the norm.

I've seen nothing that compares him to Keuckly. And lets face it, even if there was, it really don't matter. He has not played a NFL snap. We have really no idea what he's going to be.

He was 229 at the combine. He was up to 240 or so a year of so ago, and was not nearly as effective. He got that when he dropped weight. So there is certainly no guarantee he will be the same player if he had to put on 10 pounds. Or more accurately, we can bet he wont be.

And when you compare a 2nd team all pro, 248 pound LB that runs a 4.5 to a prospect and say the all pro doesn't stack up? You just threw any credibility you had away.

28 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Do you mean the guy who's been injured in two out of three years? Hard to be all pro without pads.

No, we mean that guy that missed 1 year due to a torn pectorial muscle in 5 years. He's been healthy the rest of his career.

Dont care if he hasn't played a down yet. Played enough in to be voted the best Linebacker in the nation. Not absurd considering the money Zak will cost.

Because you've obviously never hard of the term "bust" before.

Rather pay a Reuben who is no slouch on a 4 year rook deal.

Maybe. I'd be happier if I had to pay both. But if I can only pay 1, I'd take Brown.

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is an absolute no brainer signing.

That's what worries me :).   Major talent upgrade at a position of need on defense -- that's a rare feat. 

Watch we find out it was to egg Compton on to sign his tender.  :)  I don't mean this sarcastically but Compton seems to have this weird hold on some people at Redskins Park.  If you listen to Cooley's film breakdowns IMO his take on Compton is often the oddest, he will usually talk about mediocre to bad performances then go on about how on the aggregate he thinks Compton is a good player.    So many in the media swear by him.  Among them, I got into a twitter exchange with Chris Russell awhile back about Compton's abysmal PFF numbers -- Russell swears by PFF but nope not when it comes to Compton, he goes while he loves PFF they must be off on Compton.  

I am guessing part of it is Compton's elevation to becoming a starter is a Cinderella story and he is a cool guy with fun quirks.  I met him and he charmed me too.  He's likable and I wish the best for the dude.  But to me he is like the poster child to the narrative about how we don't need elite talent on defense.  I recall Cooley last summer was down on the Kendall Fuller pick, he didn't like the film on him.  So Cooley gets Bruce on his show and tells Bruce he's not in love with Fuller's tape so Bruce's retort was well Chris have you met him?  Then, Bruce goes on about what a good guy Fuller is.   

I have had enough of we are going to coach them up, we like what we have in house, he's a great person stuff.   Lets get some mega talented players.  Replacing Compton as a starter to me would be not just an improvement but IMO a symbolic change.    But its also why I am skeptical it goes down.   Like I said, Compton seems to be arguably the most beloved guy on that unit aside from D. Hall. 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's what worries me :).   Major talent upgrade at a position of need on defense -- that's a rare feat. 

Watch we find out it was to egg Compton on to sign his tender.  :)  I don't mean this sarcastically but Compton seems to have this weird hold on some people at Redskins Park.

No kidding. I remember how much Barry talked him up last year, like he was the 2nd coming. And we all know how that worked out.

I am guessing part of it is Compton's elevation to becoming a starter is a Cinderella story and he is a cool guy with fun quirks.  I met him and he charmed me too.  He's likable and I wish the best for the dude.  But to me he is like the poster child to the narrative about how we don't need elite talent on defense.  I recall Cooley last summer was down on the Kendall Fuller pick, he didn't like the film on him.  So Cooley gets Bruce on his show and tells Bruce he's not in love with Fuller's tape so Bruce's retort was well Chris have you met him?  Then, Bruce goes on about what a good guy Fuller is.   

Which is nice and all. I like a good Cinderella story too. But they also need to do something. Which is why I loved Alfred Morris and like Fat Rob. Both seem like super nice, down to earth guys. But those guys also did something on the field. In a good way.

I have had enough of we are going to coach them up, we like what we have in house, he's a great person stuff.   Lets get some mega talented players.  Replacing Compton as a starter to me would be not just an improvement but IMO a symbolic change.    But its also why I am skeptical it goes down.   Like I said, Compton seems to be arguably the most beloved guy on that unit aside from D. Hall. 

I concur. I don't even have a issue with keeping him as depth and as a ST player, but get him off the field as a starter. I have no idea why he is so beloved in Redskins Park, because he has done nothing as a player to have such standing.

It's nice that's hes nice and funny, but we're also not looking for a boyfriend either. We're looking for a ILB.

I'd even be willing to throw Spaight out there for a year and see how he does, because I think he's more talented. And he was terrible in his one start last year. But Compton has no upside.

4 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

He was hurt for one full season.....but he played in 16 games 4 out 5 years......start listening to me more often :)

Well now I definitely don't want to listen to you anymore with the way you keep responding, wow. :ols: 

Missing one full season is pretty significant, which the way you initially responded omitted. I didn't say he's injury prone. I even qualified it with "a bit", so the way you responded was unnecessary and glossed over it seemingly purposely. So when I read your response I trusted that it simply wasn't anything important because you made it sound like it didn't matter at all. Shouldn't have trusted you. 

Struggling with something over an entire season is fair to consider "a bit", along with him being somewhat of a one year wonder. Not the end of the world, and I never suggested as much. I was just qualifying the pros you listed THAT I AGREED WITH with that ONE con just to be balanced. Is that ok? 

Yeesh. :rolleyes: 

Really hope they sign him, would be a big upgrade either way. 

35 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

No, we mean that guy that missed 1 year due to a torn pectorial muscle in 5 years. He's been healthy the rest of his career.

Nope, missed two out of his first 3 years. 

Because you've obviously never hard of the term "bust" before.

Every draft pick has bust potential. 

Maybe. I'd be happier if I had to pay both. But if I can only pay 1, I'd take Brown.

OK you go with the one year wonder, with injury issues because that's worked out so well for us in the past. I will air on the side of caution as did the other 4 teams Brown has visited. You and your credibility can go with your second team all pro who would be an afterthought if Reggie Ragland  never got hurt . Glad your not drafting.

I just read the tender offer on Compton is 1.8 million, I think they can rescind the offer if they want to.  I do wonder if part of this is to get Compton's attention.  Considering their cap situation and Bruce's frugal ways -- its hard for me to see them signing Brown for lets say 6 million and then also Compton for 1.8 million.

In other words, I am not so sure Compton is back if they sign Zach.  I am more than cool with that but its another reason why I am skeptical this goes anywhere. 

8 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Um, he actually had good years before and after his injury.

92 tackles as rookie

91 his second year

77 after coming back from his injury

As for everything else, considering you can't get basic information correct that is easily available? I'll take it as a complement. /ignore

The one year wonder point I think is overplayed.  Zach was a combine stud (hyped the way Reddick is and some other LB types currently are for being athletic freaks).  He was a 2nd round pick.  He had decent numbers in his first two seasons including 5.5 sacks his rookie year.  Then he got hurt.  He exploded in Buffalo.  According to some of what I read he was an emerging player in Tennessee before the injury.

But IMO finding a 245 pound MLB who can run a 4.44 is super rare.  The two potential MLB athletic freaks in this draft speed wise -- Reddick (4.52) and J. Davis (4.56) didn't match it.  Rare to find a 3 down MLB who is just as adept at covering as they are stopping the run.

As for teams "lack" of interest.  The Dolphins, Bills, Raiders have been chasing him for weeks -- they just haven't hit his asking price.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just read the tender offer on Compton is 1.8 million, I think they can rescind the offer if they want to.

This is what I was gonna bring up. He wants 6 mil per, his top offer is 4 per (reportedly). Offer him multi hers at 5 per, maybe a bit more. Make the first year cap hit around 4 mil, so the backloading isn't too bad. Rescind the tender on Compton, save 18 of the 4 we need. Minor cap hit this year, still a decent contract moving forward.

And yeah, cut Hall, because it's stupid we haven't done that already.

17 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

And no one year deals or I'm gonna scream

Now you're pushing it. :ols: 

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the entire reason for his visit. His situation mirrors Pryor in that he's not getting what he thinks he's worth on the open market likely since he only has one full year of top notch play, so he'd want to prove it to go into next year unrestricted. 

That being said, he does take a risk considering he already did lose one season to injury, so that's slightly different to Pryor. He may not be as willing to risk not getting something long term. Furthermore, our offense is legit while our D is anything but. So that was also more incentive for Pryor than Brown has. 

It's an interesting situation, really. I hope we get him long term for no more than 5/yr like some have already mentioned here. That'd be great in my mind. But I can see it playing out to where he just wants a year here to prove it.  

I can see us signing Brown....Mason Foster is good on the weakside but he's not able to go sideline to sideline like Brown.  Both are exceptional in coverage though.  Brown would be an upgrade; a pretty expensive upgrade at that.

Truth is, we need a MIKE linebacker....Spaight should be able to fill in and start if he could stay healthy.  But I would kick the tires on Perry Riley.  Riley would be a huge upgrade if we could con him into coming back. 

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Um, he actually had good years before and after his injury.

92 tackles as rookie

91 his second year

77 after coming back from his injury

As for everything else, considering you can't get basic information correct that is easily available? I'll take it as a complement. /ignore

Nice audible. Never said he didn't have promising tackle numbers. Said he was injured in two out of three years and is asking for too much cash. You said he was injured one year which contradicts your basic information theory unless the journalists writing the articles in the Breaking News forum are wrong. Google at will for basic info for validation but consider that Lorenzo was a super star in Buffalo....because he played in Buffalo.   If you think Reuben Foster is an under sized freelancer with draft bust all over him you need to spend  more time using your eyes watching football than time spent checking tackle numbers from the Titans and Bills. 

Don't spin this any other way. You would rather sign Brown than draft Reuben Foster and me the opposite. Either player we have to agree is better than What we have.

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

Well now I definitely don't want to listen to you anymore with the way you keep responding, wow. :ols: 

Missing one full season is pretty significant, which the way you initially responded omitted. I didn't say he's injury prone. I even qualified it with "a bit", so the way you responded was unnecessary and glossed over it seemingly purposely. So when I read your response I trusted that it simply wasn't anything important because you made it sound like it didn't matter at all. Shouldn't have trusted you. 

Struggling with something over an entire season is fair to consider "a bit", along with him being somewhat of a one year wonder. Not the end of the world, and I never suggested as much. I was just qualifying the pros you listed THAT I AGREED WITH with that ONE con just to be balanced. Is that ok? 

Yeesh. :rolleyes: 

Really hope they sign him, would be a big upgrade either way. 

Don't be so sensitive, bruh

He suffered a torn pec early in 2014 and only played one game......he's played in 65 games in 5 years....had he played 13 games each year, I would call him injury prone.

24 minutes ago, Dexter said:

I can see us signing Brown....Mason Foster is good on the weakside but he's not able to go sideline to sideline like Brown.  Both are exceptional in coverage though.  Brown would be an upgrade; a pretty expensive upgrade at that.

Truth is, we need a MIKE linebacker....Spaight should be able to fill in and start if he could stay healthy.  But I would kick the tires on Perry Riley.  Riley would be a huge upgrade if we could con him into coming back. 

Foster can handle that, he did it in Tampa for 4 years. He's a Thumper. He also graded out as the best defender on the team according to PFF. He and Brown would do much to solidify the middle of the defense.

11 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Don't be so sensitive, bruh

He suffered a torn pec early in 2014 and only played one game......he's played in 65 games in 5 years....had he played 13 games each year, I would call him injury prone.

My God, you're so annoying to respond to. Does anyone enjoy discussing things with you? :ols: 

No sensitivity here. I'm trying to explain to you the very simple concept of having a balanced perspective as well as reading comprehension. 

First, I never called him injury prone. I've said this twice now, but I'm not sure you've ever acknowledged what anyone says when you respond to them. It's your thing here. 

Second, my original response to you was simply about ADDING to your list of pros the ONE negative that he's "a bit" of a one year wonder with an injury history. 

Is that incorrect to add to that list in any way? Both of those things are true, period. However, did I suggest anything of significance there really other than maybe that's why teams have been hesitant to give him what he wants? Nope. 

I was on board with signing him and considering him a big upgrade before that list of pros you made. Again, all I was doing was providing some balance to that list. 

God forbid. What a terrible crime. :ols: 

Archived