Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

21 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Scherff was selected with the fifth overall pick in the draft! If he's not better then some 2-3-4-5th round picks that's horrible and you don't judge the 5th overall pick against guys drafted much later then he was. Crowder is good and much better then the 4th round we picked him at but I wonder if we knew he was going to ball as a slot guy why we waited till the 4th to pick him and instead choose Matt Jones before him? Makes me wonder. Another thing that makes me wonder is this issue about PED's you bring up, do you know when Trent was using those? Because he led the nation in sacks in college so maybe he was using them then too? Do you know if he was? Last question do you know how he will do off them to say that he's not worth an extension today? Please share the wisdom you seem to be the only human being alive that knows this and I would love to know

Whose fault was it that we didn't have a 1st round pick in 2014?  The current FO regime's.  It's not like the 1st round pick was taken from us by the league.  We gave it away in a trade for a bust.  And yes, players from all rounds are judged against one another.  Do you not think Tom Brady (the 6th rounder) has ever been compared against Peyton Manning (the 1st overall pick)?  Once you are in the league, the round you were drafted in doesn't matter when comparing how good a player is to another.  Do you think draft round is routinely brought up in an Antonio Brown vs. Julio Jones argument?

And give me a break with the Crowder skepticism.  It's been reported that McCloughan loved Crowder and stood on the table for him against the coaching staff's wishes.  He was selected early in the 4th round, only 10 picks after Matt Jones.  Trying to insinuate the Crowder selection was a fluke is ridiculous.

Regarding the Trent Murphy PED's:  It's called common sense.  It's really not even worth arguing if you believe he didn't use PED's last season.  I'll let you feel warm and comfortable in your naivete.

10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Whose fault was it that we didn't have a 1st round pick in 2014?  The current FO regime's.  It's not like the 1st round pick was taken from us by the league.  We gave it away in a trade for a bust. - True but what the hell does that have to do with you comparing the 5th overall drafted player with some mid round players? Or you just don't want to admit that comparison you made was trash and I caught it?

And give me a break with the Crowder skepticism.  It's been reported that McCloughan loved Crowder and stood on the table for him against the coaching staff's wishes.  He was selected early in the 4th round, only 10 picks after Matt Jones.  Trying to insinuate the Crowder selection was a fluke is ridiculous. - Sir clearly you post more then you understand about the draft. See let me lay it on you. If the draft was held today with the talent pool of 2015 players, where does Crowder get selected? Do you incorrectly actually believe that he would last until the 4th round again? That would be wrong if you think that. See for every Tom Brady, 6th round pick who made good, when this happens it means that ALL OF THE TEAMS made a mistake. They did not grade him correctly.

If teams correctly viewed Dak Prescott for the player he turned out to be last year there would be no chance in hell he lasts until round 4. EVERY team got him wrong too. Which if we understand this very simple and accurate concept, and we believe that Scot knew that Crowder was going to be a good player, then tell us why he waited until the 4th to pick him? You are ignoring Scot believed that Matt Jones would be a BETTER player because he drafted him FIRST. Do tell in what universe does it make any sense to draft a bad player over a good one? Hmmmmmm????

Regarding the Trent Murphy PED's:  It's called common sense.  It's really not even worth arguing if you believe he didn't use PED's last season.  I'll let you feel warm and comfortable in your naivete. - Actually you clearly don't understand Fantasy and reality with this nonsense. If common sense was actually common you might have it but you don't. Where did I say I didn't believe he used PEDs last year? Strawman there pal so keep your insults away from me don't need to deal with it

3 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I am talking about FA dude not unsigned people that we lucked out.  Dunbar was a receiver and we told him we will try you at CB or you gone.  Davis I will give you that  but then again he totally missed on Carrier IMO and we spend a draft pick.  Heck if Niles is healthy I don't think Carrier makes the team this year.

So if we found players that worked out on the cheap, we lucked out? No, that's just shrewd signings. Regarding Carrier, we had just lost not one but two TE for the year (Paulsen and Paul) so we were in dire need of help and tbh, it really didn't cost us anything except moving down from the 5th to the 7th round. Also, if Paul was healthy that year as well, the trade wouldn't have been made. 

Bottom line is it's really not that easy to find more than 2-3 legit starters a year. The rest is all about filling up the team with quality depth. On paper in two years you can say the starting lineup doesn't look all the much different, but from a 53 man roster standpoint this team is miles ahead of where it was in 2014. Have you SEEN some of the names that made that team?

@bobandweave

A) As I said in the post you must have quoted before you saw my edits:  Do you think Brady isn't ever compared to Manning?  Or Brown to Jones?  I can go on for days with this, but hopefully you are bright enough to see the point.  

B ) You do realize that teams take into account what players they think they can get later, even if they are in love with them, right?  It's called getting value for your picks.  It's why teams do their own mock drafts so they can predict where certain players will land.  Obviously, the Redskins were right that no one would take Crowder before their pick.  I'd say that's pretty damn good value for that pick.  That doesn't mean they didn't love the player, but why would you take a player now that you think you can get later.  These are the risks teams take all the time in the draft.  Why did we pick Murphy over Moses?  Moses is clearly the better player at his position, but Murphy was selected a round ahead of him.  Are you going to try to discredit the Moses pick as well?

C)  Explain in a clear, concise manner what you meant by the Murphy PED's then, because your rambling in regards to that is hard to follow.

I thought Breeland played better when he was demoted and asked to play inside against TEs on a few occasions at the end of the year. He did this while appearing to be disinterested, in my opinion. I wonder if that's a role the team expands with him on, playing inside against TEs, more of a physical role. It would seem to fit his skill set.

23 hours ago, wit33 said:

I thought Breeland played better when he was demoted and asked to play inside against TEs on a few occasions at the end of the year. He did this while appearing to be disinterested, in my opinion. I wonder if that's a role the team expands with him on, playing inside against TEs, more of a physical role. It would seem to fit his skill set.

I just re-watched the 2nd game against Philly today.  Breeland was god-awful on the inside.  Consistently using the wrong leverage on crucial 3rd downs and letting TEs and WRs get open on him whenever they wanted.  It got to the point when John Lynch (the commentator) said, "I hate to say it, but they benched Kendall Fuller - they benched the wrong guy, Bashaud Breeland is killing them right now".

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I just re-watched the 2nd game against Philly today.  Breeland was god-awful on the inside.  Consistently using the wrong leverage on crucial 3rd downs and letting TEs and WRs get open on him whenever they wanted.  It got to the point when John Lynch (the commentator) said, "I hate to say it, but they benched Kendall Fuller - they benched the wrong guy, Bashaud Breeland is killing them right now".

Maybe the last 3 games lol. I was purely going off of recollection. When did he actually get benched on the outside? I thought it was he last 3 or 4 games (once again, all off memory lol). 

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Maybe the last 3 games lol. I was purely going off of recollection. When did he actually get benched on the outside? I thought it was he last 3 or 4 games (once again, all off memory lol). 

Yep, you're right.  It was the last 4 games, starting with that Philly game, where they benched Fuller, started Breeland inside, and put Dunbar outside. 

I seriously hope we draft a CB early because the CB spots outside of Norman had a lot to do with us having one of the worst 3rd down defenses in NFL history.  It definitely wasn't all on the pass rushers or the coordinator.

We're being outbid by the Niners?!?!?!

lol

49ers signed RB Tim Hightower, formerly of the Saints.

After being out of the league for three seasons, Hightower restored his career in New Orleans, gaining 1,252 total yards and scoring nine times in two seasons. The 49ers recently re-signed DuJuan Harris, but Hightower should be the favorite to back up Carlos Hyde. Considering Hyde's injury history, that likely means Hightower will earn a few starts in 2017.

On 3/14/2017 at 7:44 PM, SkinsTillIDie said:

Guess we should be "going nuts" that we're paying him the "ridiculously cheap sum" of $3.75 million this year against the cap.

The greatest D-line coach of all time! LOL. Marinelli is one of the best D-line coaches in the league, yes. Good thing we have one of the best D-line coaches in the league ourselves in Jim Tomsula.

We play with 4 down linemen 70% of the time.

Dallas Morning News:

"McClain would be a big loss to the defensive line... McClain was an unsung hero for the Cowboys defense in 2016. He led linemen with 41 tackles, but also got a good push up the middle of the pocket (2.5 sacks, nine pressures). He also had three tackles for loss... Losing McClain could be more than the loss of a productive interior linemen; it could be a domino effect for the rest of the linemen. McClain was a critical component of the D-line rotation."

Enough with the hot takes, eh?

What are the chances we sign Brown? Sure he is not looking for a one year deal.

28 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Zach Brown visiting tomorrow per John Keim.

Free agent linebacker Zach Brown will visit the Redskins Monday, sources said.

Right after Calais Campbell and Hankins -- Zach was who I wanted the most in FA.  Just jinxed him.:)  But if Bruce signs this guy, I'd be OK with everything else in FA.  Then, I wouldn't care about bypassing MLBs in this draft.  

Having said that, I am not sure I like our chances.  You got the Bills, Dolphins, Raiders apparently interested but not offering Zach enough -- but Bruce will outbid them?  It would be stepping out of character.   Surprise me, Bruce!

Replying to @MasterTes

#Redskins need another ILB with Foster & Spaight. Zach Brown would be a huge upgrade. 6 on the roster rn (RFA Will Compton unsigned).

1. #Redskins are a bit tight on cap space, it's been said Zach Brown is looking for $6M per. Not sure he will get that much from WSH

2.  Fifty Gut and 2 others liked

Looks like Zach Brown is visiting the #Redskins tmrw. Told #Dolphins still in it. ZB weighting his options, anything possible at this point.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:
Replying to @MasterTes

#Redskins need another ILB with Foster & Spaight. Zach Brown would be a huge upgrade. 6 on the roster rn (RFA Will Compton unsigned).

1. #Redskins are a bit tight on cap space, it's been said Zach Brown is looking for $6M per. Not sure he will get that much from WSH

2.  Fifty Gut and 2 others liked

Looks like Zach Brown is visiting the #Redskins tmrw. Told #Dolphins still in it. ZB weighting his options, anything possible at this point.

Hopefully Brown is not using us for leverage but it's happened plenty of times before.   However, if we would do the sensible thing and cut Hall (4 mill saved) and Lava (3 or 4 mill saved) we could easily sign Brown.

Archived