Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Did you miss the part where he fired his agent? Did you miss 2014 when he had 51 tackles and 7 sacks not surrounded with all pros? Or him being out 7 games in 2015 really hurt the Defense?

Fact is, firing his agent shows he's will to negotiate. You don't fire your agent because he's doing what you want time to. Maybe he's still over priced. That's fine. But you don't know if you don't at least give him a call. It does not look like we have even bothered. The orginal $10 per year is old, out of date news.

Dude's had two straight bad seasons, and has an asking price that's absolutely insane. He's not worth 8 a year. You guys are tripping about a trash player.

You want some news that won't hurt us? Go sign Cousins long term or go sign someone like Legarrett Blount who won't cost us much and will be money well spent. Hankins has bust written on his front, back, and forehead in flashing neon lights

4 minutes ago, I Love The Skins said:

Jonathan Hankins has outstanding potential but he needs to show that he deserves it before he gets the 10 million dollars he wants..

I was just about to say, the expectations are gonna go through the roof after all this build up.  

Not sure where the fired his agent stories are coming from.  He was and is represented by Kevin Poston who is a total clown.  The NY/NJ media are reporting the 10 million plus number as still being his asking price today, plenty of articles about this online written in the last 24 hours.  The 7 sacks and 51 tackles in 2014 are great but its 2017 and despite bouncing back last year he did not repeat those numbers.  He is not an elite talent and he is not worth what it would take to get him, 31 teams in the league agree on this which is why he is still out there.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/03/johnathan_hankins_agent_has_botched_negotiations_b.html

5 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Not sure where the fired his agent stories are coming from.  He was and is represented by Kevin Poston who is a total clown.  The NY/NJ media are reporting the 10 million plus number as still being his asking price today, plenty of articles about this online written in the last 24 hours.  The 7 sacks and 51 tackles in 2014 are great but its 2017 and despite bouncing back last year he did not repeat those numbers.  He is not an elite talent and he is not worth what it would take to get him, 31 teams in the league agree on this which is why he is still out there.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/03/johnathan_hankins_agent_has_botched_negotiations_b.html

Someone reported it here a week or so ago, but as I go and look, it looks like that was not the case. I was going forward on false information.

Last year they moved him and asked him to play differently. But I agree with you, absolutely not worth 10 million. And if his asking price is even close to that, I would not sniff.

Was curious to see what the make-up of the 49ers DL were under Tomsula when he was the DL coach in San Francisco (and Manusky was the DC) ... because I think that speaks pretty clearly for how we may approach building our defensive line ... I was somewhat surprised ... take a look ...

DE Ray McDonald (2008-2012): 6'4 276

DE Justin Smith (2008-2012): 6'4 270

DE/NT: Ricky Jean-Francois (2009-2012): 6'3 295

DE/NT: Aubrayo Franklin (2007-2010): 6'1 320

DE/NT: Isaac Sopoaga (2007-2012): 6'2 321

These were the primary 5 defensive lineman for the bulk of Manusky and Tomsula's time running the SF Defense/Defensive Line. Franklin and Sopoaga both started at NT and DE respectively (each had 15-16 games started in their respective years) so it seems like both rotated at Nose and End. But otherwise, after Franklin left in 2010 while RJF swapped in the rotation at Nose at times, it was Sopoaga's primary position.

For a bulk of their time, the DL had Justin Smith and Ray McDonald at END and Isaac Sopoaga at NOSE.

What I found interesting was their sizes. Smith and McDonald were both a bit undersized for 3-4 ENDS. RJF was more of your prototypical size but also rotated in at NOSE, essentially taking over the role of Aubrayo Franklin when he left the team, who was a larger END who rotated at NOSE.

Here's how the Redskins current roster stacks out + measurable with 49ers ROUGH comparable ranked in rough order of how they'd be on the depth chart today

DE: Comparison to Justin Smith / Ray McDonald sizes (270 to 290)

- Terrell McClain: 6'1 291

- Austin Lanier: 6'6 270

NT: Comparison to Isaac Sopoaga size (315+)

- Phil Taylor: 6'3 335

- NT Joey Mbu: 6'3 313

DE/NT: Comparison to Aubrayo Franklin / Ricky Jean Francois sizes (295 to 310)

- Stacy McGee: 6'3 308

- Matt Ioannidis: 6'3 299

- Ziggy Hood: 6'3 300

- AJ Francis: 6'5 309

Keep in mind that the 49ers under Manusky/Tomsula really only had 5 primary DL that played a majority of the snaps and 3 staunch starters. While Sopoaga did take over the NT position full-time, a couple guys like RJF and Aubrayo Franklin played both NT and DE in rotations.

From the looks of where we currently stand ... I would say that the team should expect Terrell McClain to hold down one END spot as a starter. Stacy McGee would likely play the other END spot and rotate in at NOSE ala Aubrayo Franklin. Matt Ioannidis and Austin Lanier are young with higher upside and could challenge to be the 4th and 5th guys in that rotation. So what's missing? I doubt Phil Taylor is our answer at NT ... we need our ISAAC SOPOAGA ... a 6'1 320+ type player. I bet we get that in the draft. AND ... if we can find a solid END in the draft to complement McClain and McGee ... bonus ...

I know this is likely better place in the draft thread, so I'll post that over there too. But I bet we are done in FA on the DL, and if you look at who we brought in, who we have, and who we likely will get in the draft, it makes complete sense for us to be done.

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

DE/NT: Aubrayo Franklin (2007-2010): 6'1 320

DE/NT: Isaac Sopoaga (2007-2012): 6'2 321

Well, the good news is both of those guys were fairly low round picks. Sopoaga was a 4th rounder and Franklin a 5th rounder (originally drafted by the Ravens). 

So I guess there's precedent in what Gruden is thinking regarding Tomsula getting value at nose with minimal resources. 

Still, I don't like it. It's putting too much on Tomsula, in my mind. And it's not just about the nose for me, it's about Dline in general. It's too much to ask someone to work with cheaper FAs, low round picks and undrafted guys and get much out of them. It's unfair, really.

We'll see what happens in the draft, though. 

20 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's how the Redskins current roster stacks out + measurable with 49ers ROUGH comparable ranked in rough order of how they'd be on the depth chart today

DE: Comparison to Justin Smith / Ray McDonald sizes (270 to 290)

- Terrell McClain: 6'1 291

- Austin Lanier: 6'6 270

NT: Comparison to Isaac Sopoaga size (315+)

- Phil Taylor: 6'3 335

- NT Joey Mbu: 6'3 313

DE/NT: Comparison to Aubrayo Franklin / Ricky Jean Francois sizes (295 to 310)

- Stacy McGee: 6'3 308

- Matt Ioannidis: 6'3 299

- Ziggy Hood: 6'3 300

- AJ Francis: 6'5 309

edit for length

Just a FYI, A.J. Francis is listed at 330 on the Redskins.com and from what I understand is a true NT coming out of U.of MD. So you might want to move him to NT here. In addition, Matt is up to 308 according to Redskins.com and It's "Anthony" Lanier, and he's now listed at 282, but Gruden said he was close to 290 now a couple days ago. Mbu might be more of a DE here than a NT.

18 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Well, the good news is both of those guys were fairly low round picks. Sopoaga was a 4th rounder and Franklin a 5th rounder (originally drafted by the Ravens). 

So I guess there's precedent in what Gruden is thinking regarding Tomsula getting value at nose with minimal resources. 

Still, I don't like it. It's putting too much on Tomsula, in my mind. And it's not just about the nose for me, it's about Dline in general. It's too much to ask someone to work with cheaper FAs, low round picks and undrafted guys and get much out of them. It's unfair, really.

We'll see what happens in the draft, though. 

Completely agree. I don't want to harp on this too much, but if you have someone that is really good at what they do, you "reward" them by giving them crap to work with? Ok, maybe you don't need to blow a 1st round pick to get a very good player, but don't just expect him to get filet mignon from hamburger either. Give him a Ribeye or something! Give him SOMETHING to work with. Give him a few "good guys", and now, with his ability to maximize talent, you get a few "great" guys, and your position of weakness is now a position of strength!

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Just a FYI, A.J. Francis is listed at 330 on the Redskins.com and from what I understand is a true NT coming out of U.of MD. So you might want to move him to NT here. In addition, Matt is up to 308 according to Redskins.com and It's "Anthony" Lanier, and he's now listed at 282, but Gruden said he was close to 290 now a couple days ago. Mbu might be more of a DE here than a NT.

Ah, okay so that makes more sense and skews my analyses a bit. I was going off Spotrac which I'm sure is not as updated as our website haha

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Ah, okay so that makes more sense and skews my analyses a bit. I was going off Spotrac which I'm sure is not as updated as our website haha

Yeah, I think they went of of Combine stats. I poked around a little and found some of the same info, but it was all NFL combine timelines.

5 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

You can. You have two options. You either make 9 other ES accounts and like with each of them. Options two is click the ''like this'' button, then click ''unlike this'', click ''like this'', click ''unlike this'', click ''like this'', click ''unlike this'', click ''like this'', click ''unlike this'', click ''like this'', click ''unlike this'', click ''like this'', click ''unlike this'', click ''like this'', click ''unlike this'', click ''like this'', click ''unlike this'', click ''like this'', click ''unlike this'' and finaly click ''like this''.

1*1TPj96uc47n6H8uwYdW2gQ.jpeg

Redskins are one of a number of teams to repay a 'cap loan' back in relation to a CBA clause from 2010-11 that allowed teams to loan space when the overall cap was deceasing.

Reduces our available space to 11mil, a reduction of 4.5mil via the repayment. Shopping all but done I would say.

7 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Hell no, terrible idea so glad that they aren't doing this

Yeah, a 24 yo solid starting rock in the middle of our defense that has clearly lacked a NT is a terrible idea.

Cant wait to watch Elliot plow over Compton full speed on his way to another championship will be fun.

3 hours ago, carex said:

sudden crazy thought about the Skins, Hankins and Poston.  He represented Lavar Arrington, right?  Have the Skins signed ANYONE represented by this guy since Lavar?

That is a good question I don't think the Skins haven't signed anyone he represents.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, a 24 yo solid starting rock in the middle of our defense that has clearly lacked a NT is a terrible idea.

Cant wait to watch Elliot plow over Compton full speed on his way to another championship will be fun.

You would give him 10 million dollars even though he hasn't proved that he deserves it?

10 minutes ago, I Love The Skins said:

That is a good question I don't think the Skins haven't signed anyone he represents.

You would give him 10 million dollars even though he hasn't proved that he deserves it?

No one wants him for 10 million per. So, go in at 6 and a multi year deal and see if you can get a conversation started?

Is Hankins still not on a team... He should fire his agents yesterday. 

Question... If we don't use the money from cap this year, after rookie signings and what not, does that roll over? That's how it works now right?

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

Is Hankins still not on a team... He should fire his agents yesterday. 

Question... If we don't use the money from cap this year, after rookie signings and what not, does that roll over? That's how it works now right?

I don't know if it rolls over but I think they keep some in "reserve" throughout the year in case they need to sign someone (injuries, etc.). Maybe someone else more knowledgeable can address the rollover question.

Archived