Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

16 hours ago, MEANDWARF said:

Apparently letting Baker really struck a nerve within this fan-base. I mean the defense was not that great, so major changes was needed. I will miss Garcon more(until we found out he's was being a jerk in the end).  

It sucks but that's football. I'm more surprised we didn't even bother making an offer, even if it was a lowball attempt. Who knows if he would have stayed on board for 4 mil a year? Doubtful but I guarantee no one would have had a problem with him returning for 4 mil.

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yay more rentals. It'll be great when we are right back in this boat next season after losing 2-3 WRs again and only have doctson and crowder hanging around. 

So we should have signed Quick to 5 years?

38 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You think  you got reamed?  You should've seen her reaction, when I started a thread ranting about her boy, Rock Cartwright,  after he fumbled away a game. 

I actually remember that! But trust me, she was livid with me, after only being here for a couple years, trying to get the 800+ threads on CJ into one. Because I was like, "And just who is going to throw the ****ing ball to him?" I got buried. ;)

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Or 3-4 years or something else so we aren't putting bandaids on the team as much. Why couldn't he have gotten a longer deal? 

Because he wouldn't have signed a long term vet min deal and he hasn't shown enough in his career to show he's worth more than that. He may have put up decent numbers but there's a ton of WR still out there looking for work. 

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pryor is the one we should have thrown the money at long term.

As we've seen this offseason, a lot of guys are either being ridiculously overpaid or banking on a one year deal for a bigger payday next year. The fact TP turned down more money and longer term from Cleveland shows that he's probably looking for 15 and up next year on. 

54 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You think  you got reamed?  You should've seen her reaction, when I started a thread ranting about her boy, Rock Cartwright,  after he fumbled away a game. 

i honestly thought blondie was a guy only because we on a message board. and when i think football its males only. no pun intended 

as for baker, the hit on eli had me believing he arrived. but i didn't see the consistency and he and rjf sour for me after the first eagles win when they were preaching "we run the east". so all in all. count me as we improved our D with the new signings. 

38 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yay more rentals. It'll be great when we are right back in this boat next season after losing 2-3 WRs again and only have doctson and crowder hanging around. 

Seriously you are complaining about signing a guy who was a former 2nd round pick (?) who had, for him a career year last year who adds size and experience to a young WR group for less than $1million - He kind of projects to be 3rd or 4th receiver and will have to compete with Harris, Thomson and Grant (okay well maybe not Grant) - I am aghast - seriously a ghast ...   

1 minute ago, bedlamVR said:

Seriously you are complaining about signing a guy who was a former 2nd round pick (?) who had, for him a career year last year who adds size and experience to a young WR group for less than $1million - He kind of projects to be 3rd or 4th receiver and will have to compete with Harris, Thomson and Grant (okay well maybe not Grant) - I am aghast - seriously a ghast ...   

Yeah, I'm not upset about this either. Vet min+80k singing bonus to see how he works out with a real QB? Sure, that's a good deal. And if he gets Grant off the roster, I'll be ecstatic. If he plays well, modest 3-4 year deal next year.

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pryor is the one we should have thrown the money at long term.

I don't mean this sarcastically but my fear with Pryor is yeah Bruce got a bargain but he's unlikely to get a bargain next year when his contract is up -- so in my mind Pryor will likely playing elsewhere in 2018. 

I still love the signing but if he has the monster year I think he will, the odds are good he ends up playing out his career elsewhere.

I believe all these one year deals on offense are due to not having a LTD with Cousins and nothing more.  Why lock yourself into a receiving core if you haven't locked up your QB yet? How embarrassing would that all look with Colt McCoy running the show?

While Pryor might get too expensive for a 2nd season, it gives the Redskins time to see if Doctson can be a legit WR and stay healthy. If at the end of 2017 Pryor and Doctson put up big numbers, you can roll with Crowder Doctson as starters or look for a number 2 to keep Crowder in the slot.

Or if Doctson doesn't show anything, try and keep Pryor or know you need a new no. 1.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't mean this sarcastically but my fear with Pryor is yeah Bruce got a bargain but he's unlikely to get a bargain next year when his contract is up -- so in my mind Pryor will likely playing elsewhere in 2018. 

I still love the signing but if he has the monster year I think he will, the odds are good he ends up playing out his career elsewhere.

Either we get a comp pick or he gets franchised.

39 minutes ago, Sekhmet187 said:

While Pryor might get too expensive for a 2nd season, it gives the Redskins time to see if Doctson can be a legit WR and stay healthy. If at the end of 2017 Pryor and Doctson put up big numbers, you can roll with Crowder Doctson as starters or look for a number 2 to keep Crowder in the slot.

Or if Doctson doesn't show anything, try and keep Pryor or know you need a new no. 1.

Well, it's all moot if Cousins is gone. No point in spending top dollar on a FA WR if no QB. Rather just draft both if Cousins does leave than spend 15 mil a year on another receiver.

48 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Well, it's all moot if Cousins is gone. No point in spending top dollar on a FA WR if no QB. Rather just draft both if Cousins does leave than spend 15 mil a year on another receiver.

I agree with that.  If Kirk is gone.  They are likely starting over.   In that case, by the time they might be good again, Pryor would be in his 30s

20 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Um, no. Downgrading a already bad defense touched a nerve.

Unless you have a crystal ball, you have no idea if this is true, and won't know until the team takes the field. 

You might think it's worse, and I might agree.  But there's actually no way to know until Sept/Oct of next year.

41 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Unless you have a crystal ball, you have no idea if this is true, and won't know until the team takes the field. 

You might think it's worse, and I might agree.  But there's actually no way to know until Sept/Oct of next year.

Of course not. So we shouldn't even bother with asking the question right? RIGHT?

Unless it's to talk about where are RIGHT NOW. Since we still have the draft. And FA is still going on, just creeped to a stop.

So, as of right now, In my opinion, we are worse off from a talent prospective than we were. Cover enough of your bases for you?

I'm not complaining that we signed Quick. But at some point we have to be able to evaluate and project their development. The ole "let's wait and see how he does first" gets us nowhere because everybody else also sees how they do and will be in the market for them, driving up yheir price or signing them away. 

Locking guys up for value before they explode or prove they deserve more money is one of the larger goals of a front office. 

Id have preferred Pryor long term as well, but running it back again next offseason with possibly only two (if doctson pans out) competent WRs on the roster again isn't a good move to me. 

Its entirely possible the offensive wait and see approach is due to the uncertainty over Cousins. What a shocker, that was also a wait and see/prove it scenario that blew up in our face. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with that.  If Kirk is gone.  They are likely starting over.   In that case, by the time they might be good again, Pryor would be in his 30s

It depends. Next years draft is very DEEP at QB. I could see something like the top 4 out 5 picks being QB's if those guys have the years I think they will this season. And that is why I think it is SO important to trade Kirk this year if you cant reach a long term deal with him. Get as many picks as you can for next years draft.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Of course not. So we shouldn't even bother with asking the question right? RIGHT?

Unless it's to talk about where are RIGHT NOW. Since we still have the draft. And FA is still going on, just creeped to a stop.

So, as of right now, In my opinion, we are worse off from a talent prospective than we were. Cover enough of your bases for you?

I agree that there are more moves that should have been or will be made, but you think right now the starting Def of last year with  

Kerrigan, baker, hood, rjf, smith, foster, compton, breeland, josh, whitner, Blackmon 

Is better than as of right now

Kerrigan, mclain, hood, mcgee, junior, foster, compton, breeland, josh, dj, sua

IMO we are better now but not by much.  I think having dj and sua is a way bigger upgrade than loosing baker and rjf to the mc brothers

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

It depends. Next years draft is very DEEP at QB. I could see something like the top 4 out 5 picks being QB's if those guys have the years I think they will this season. And that is why I think it is SO important to trade Kirk this year if you cant reach a long term deal with him. Get as many picks as you can for next years draft.

That's the thing right there. Either **** or get off the pot. I guess we'll find out after the owners meeting.

Archived