Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

2 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

This would be just like Allen, sign 15 WR and leave NT and ILB on the table. Allen must have something up his sleeves for these 2 positions of need, because if not we are ------.

"3rd and 4th rounds of the draft, because, you know......we're ok there." -Bruce Allen

:silly:

2 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Well, that's kind of the problem, though. We needed at least one impact guy on the Dline. Not mid-tier guys, we already had those, and it destroyed us last season.

It takes me back to the draft where we needed to replace Fred Smoot and there was all this talk about needing a corner.  Should we get A. Rolle, P. Jones or Carlos Rodgers.  We end up with Rodgers.   To bad we didn't need D. Ware who was taken some picks after.  IMO going with D line at #17 will likely be a reach, there is no obvious guy who should be taken there if there is anything to the mocks I've looked at. 

2 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

One more thing I'm concerned about right now regarding going into the draft with obvious defensive needs, and I'm probably just being a paranoid nutcase, but I worry sometimes that Scot can sabotage our draft since he knows who we're looking at or not. By all accounts, we're following the board he was a major part of creating for the most part. So he knows who we really like.

I thought of the same last night upon reading the recount from board members of their recent chalk talk with Jay/Bruce with Bruce saying Scot is free to sign with whomever.  It's sort of a strange situation.  They have Scot's board but at the same time Scot is free to give up that same board to whomever hires him? 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It takes me back to the draft where we needed to replace Fred Smoot and there was all this talk about needing a corner.  Should we get A. Rolle, P. Jones or Carlos Rodgers.  We end up with Rodgers.   To bad we didn't need D. Ware who was taken some picks after.  IMO going with D line at #17 will likely be a reach, there is no obvious guy who should be taken there if there is anything to the mocks I've looked at. 

I thought of the same last night upon reading the recount from board members of their recent chalk talk with Jay/Bruce with Bruce saying Scot is free to sign with whomever.  It's sort of a strange situation.  They have Scot's board but at the same time Scot is free to give up that same board to whomever hires him? 

Something tells me that Allen/Snyder probably have this covered until after the draft.  Just a hunch. 

More than likely this guy will end up in Minnesota with his former DC. But I thought it was worth mentioning.

Bengals released MLB Rey Maualuga.

The writing was on the wall after the Bengals signed Kevin Minter. Maualuga was a seven-year starter in Cincy, but injuries and ineffectiveness reduced him to a part-time role (326 snaps) in 2016. His release saves $3.75 million against the cap. Entering his age-30 season, Maualuga should resurface closer to the veteran minimum.

5 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

More than likely this guy will end up in Minnesota with his former DC. But I thought it was worth mentioning.

Bengals released MLB Rey Maualuga.

The writing was on the wall after the Bengals signed Kevin Minter. Maualuga was a seven-year starter in Cincy, but injuries and ineffectiveness reduced him to a part-time role (326 snaps) in 2016. His release saves $3.75 million against the cap. Entering his age-30 season, Maualuga should resurface closer to the veteran minimum.

Just saw this. Obviously, this is not a long term answer, but......I can't see how he could be any worse than Compton. I would worrry about him in coverage, not as much in run support. He could QB the defense though. Not a bad guy to have around even if we draft someone there.

If we were to trade a 4th for Richardson ... or sign Hankins ... both I'd put at a fairly low chance of happening regardless ... I think it vastly improves our DL. Richardson would get paid big boy $$ as soon as the trade is completed (8-12m per year). So we'd have 3 "high" (above 5mm annual value) guys on the DL. Would think a couple 2nd to 4th round guys would complement that trio of vets nicely

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If we were to trade a 4th for Richardson ... or sign Hankins ... both I'd put at a fairly low chance of happening regardless ... I think it vastly improves our DL. Richardson would get paid big boy $$ as soon as the trade is completed (8-12m per year). So we'd have 3 "high" (above 5mm annual value) guys on the DL. Would think a couple 2nd to 4th round guys would complement that trio of vets nicely

Richardson would be a 3-4 end since he only weighs 293.  Still no NT

Just say no to sheldon richardson.  Headcase who will cost 10 mil a yr, cost a draft pick and start his decline in just a few years.  If the jets, a team that has not had much recent success, wants to dump him in his prime for a mid round pick that's a red flag.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/sheldon-richardson-snapchat-video-new-york-jets-contract

It’s not Richardson’s first — and judging by his history, it won’t be his last — mis-step. We’re talking about a player who has been suspended by the league multiple times and was benched for repeatedly showing up late to meetings.

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

No, we would not. We'd have 1 guy, either Richardson or Hankins. McC and McG are probably worse than what we let go. So, we're actually worse off than we were before bringing in either of those 2 players, and one of them does nothing for the NT position (Richardson), which is basically unfilled.

And, as you said, and confirmed by Gruden, we're basically done in FA, no more big signings. Looking towards the draft. And you don't want to try and find day one starters in the 3-4 rounds.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

How could we be talking with Gordon's management while his rights are owned by the Browns (even while suspended). That's tampering. Gonna guess fake (or at least poorly sourced and unsubstantiated) tweet.

And that's the real point here. Reports of us contacting Gordon are obviously BS because we couldn't contact him. It would be completely against the rules and would risk a major penalty to talk to another team's property. So links to how the Browns will likely trade him at some point are completely beside the point.

I believe you can't talk contract with a suspended player either.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

No, we would not. We'd have 1 guy, either Richardson or Hankins. McC and McG are probably worse than what we let go. So, we're actually worse off than we were before bringing in either of those 2 players, and one of them does nothing for the NT position (Richardson), which is basically unfilled.

And, as you said, and confirmed by Gruden, we're basically done in FA, no more big signings. Looking towards the draft. And you don't want to try and find day one starters in the 3-4 rounds.

you have no evidence that these two are worse

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

And that's the real point here. Reports of us contacting Gordon are obviously BS because we couldn't contact him. It would be completely against the rules and would risk a major penalty to talk to another team's property. So links to how the Browns will likely trade him at some point are completely beside the point.

I believe you can't talk contract with a suspended player either.

We could if the browns already informed him that he would be released and then gave him permission to talk to other teams. They also could allow him to talk to other teams so that a trade could be facilitated. 

1 minute ago, Genghis Khan said:

We could if the browns already informed him that he would be released and then gave him permission to talk to other teams. They also could allow him to talk to other teams so that a trade could be facilitated. 

No they couldn't. The only way you can allow a player of yours to talk to another team is if you've already agreed to a trade, and they can't make a trade with a player who's suspended.

Well Detroit has been rumored as a landing spot for Hankins. Maybe they'll overpay him so that we won't.

The Lions are a potential landing spot for free agent DT Johnathan Hankins.

The Lions haven’t been connected with Hankins, but he’s from Detroit and would give them a run-stopper next to Haloti Ngata. With just $10 million in cap space, it’s hard to see them fitting him on a short term deal. Hankins is targeting $8M annually.

If we could get Gordon then we give him the Dez treatment. Someone on him at all times until he proves he can be trusted to new an adult who is responsible.

If we can't get a deal done with Kirk then trade him for a top NT and get 2 1st's a 2nd or 3rd and 4th. I would like to see what Sudfeld can do if we let Kirk go. Just don't want to get fleeced by getting nothing for Kirk but the way this team does things makes you wonder.

I love how everybody is pointing to the Giants as the way to do free agency right. What about the Jaguars of last year? THey spent more than NY (less guarateed) and got less results (coach got fired).

What about 2015? The Jaguars and Jets. 

2014? TB, Denver

2013? Miami, Indy

2012? TB, Buffalo and Denver

Here's a better article (probably been posted before here but its good enough)

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/winning-nfl-free-agency-is-a-myth-030316

- After winning 10 games in 2012, the Vikings spent over $100M in free agency in 2013, signing 5 players on day one including FB Jerome Felton, LB Erin Henderson, RT Phillip Loadholt, C Joe Berger and SS Jamarca Sanford.  They added QB Matt Cassel and WR Greg Jennings in short order, and proceeded to win only 5 games in 2013 and fired their head coach.

- After winning 11 games in 2013, the Saints spent over $95M in free agency in 2014, headlined by big deals in the secondary, including FS Jairus Byrd and FS Malcolm Jenkins, along with multi-year deals for CB Champ Bailey and RT Zach Strief.  The Saints won just 7 games each of the last two seasons.

- After winning 10 games in 2014, the Eagles spent over $122M in free agency last year, bringing in big name, big contract players from around the NFL including CB Byron Maxwell, RB DeMarco Murray, RB Ryan Mathews and FS Walter Thurmond.  As we know, the Eagles struggled tremendously, winning just 7 games last year.  Like the Vikings above, this catastrophe led to firing their head coach, and in 2016, the futures market predicts another losing season.

90SOaroZR4qB8qY5BfyBAiMcnnYiy7qOupkuznsByfyqIBUEvyLLWABlsILi9iBChByAld2FjeoetV76b2MVxQu46lUEPk9WMGgn8859dP4E1NfEY8R-SiNp31pZHJR_r97EtnjXKsT6eXRBuw

The Giants are way more the exception than the norm and while I would LOVE to have a playmaker on defense at DT or ILB, I don't think that you place a $25 mil guaranteed gamble on that player being that guy. Why aren't we asking how to be more like Carolina, Cincy, GB, Pitt, or Seattle? Those are the teams that have been consistently winning (well maybe not Carolina, but they've done better than us and the Giants recently). I mean how is Dallas doing better than us? Spending less money, letting guys like Ware and Hatcher walk, bringing in guys who flamed out with other teams and getting a good DC to turn a bunch of nobodies into a talented group of guys. 

6 minutes ago, SkinsManNJ said:

If we could get Gordon then we give him the Dez treatment. Someone on him at all times until he proves he can be trusted to new an adult who is responsible.

If we can't get a deal done with Kirk then trade him for a top NT and get 2 1st's a 2nd or 3rd and 4th. I would like to see what Sudfeld can do if we let Kirk go. Just don't want to get fleeced by getting nothing for Kirk but the way this team does things makes you wonder.

b129559c7fd050073191cf04d20e759e.gif

1 hour ago, carex said:

you have no evidence that these two are worse

You have 2 guys that last year had career years. Before then, neither one did anything for the rest of their carriers. Both have issues with injuries. And as far as stats, it's been shown in previous posts Baker and RJF have been better, more consistent and stay healthier than either McC or McG. It was shown over and over again. I would go back over the thread a little and see everything that was brought to bear on this, and it was very conclusive. The only advantage either of these signings have is they are younger. And thanks for reminding me why I put you on ignore you originally.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

You have 2 guys that last year had career years. Before then, neither one did anything for the rest of their carriers. Both have issues with injuries. And as far as stats, it's been shown in previous posts Baker and RJF have been better, more consistent and stay healthier than either McC or McG. It was shown over and over again. I would go back over the thread a little and see everything that was brought to bear on this, and it was very conclusive. The only advantage either of these signings have is they are younger. And thanks for reminding me why I put you on ignore you originally.

they were the best players on a DL that sucked, these guys were part of something better

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

It doesn't mean they were any good. Can you show me how they were an improvement?

until the game is played you can't show me a guy like Calais Campbell would be an improvement.  Any of the top guys could fall off a cliff or get hurt or something

Archived