Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

Not saying I dont like the player, Im just not sure I see the point in signing a #4 receiver that keeps Mo Harris from being the #4, and a guy who is our #6 receiving option...Id like to think in a fantasy world that money would go towards a position we actually need it, DLine.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Yep, can't disagree with any of that.

Defense still needs serious upgrading...can't imagine it will all come from the draft and don't see anyone taking any kind of huge step up this season among the players we do have right now.

It won't. Coaching should be better, but they don't have much to work with, especially the front 7. Still bottom 3rd of the league. I'm not even sure how to approch this year. Maybe like a comedy and laugh at how bad it's going to be.

Another DL just got "on" the market. This one is a long shot to make any roster. Big guy!

Colts released DT Arthur Jones.

This move has been in the works seemingly forever. Signed to a "five-year, $33 million" deal in 2014, Jones appeared in just 17-of-48 games he was in Indianapolis. Chalk it up as another big whiff by ex-GM Ryan Grigson, and new GM Chris Ballard is trimming the fat. Jones turns 31 later this year and is coming off a groin injury and was also suspended four games in 2016 for PEDs. It's unclear how much Jones has left in the tank, but the Colts save $5.15 million with the move.

1 hour ago, Butters20 said:

Maybe that standard isn't great, but it's all relative. We haven't done **** the last 20 years. So yes, I'll take 1 in 3 over being in the gutter annually. Now if we continue our current pattern for 2 or 3 more seasons, my expectations will grow accordingly. Baby steps man, let's be realistic and celebrate improvements as they are made. 

Oh Id take 1 in 3 in replacement of those previous horrible years.  But if thats what we deem "success" and if thats what we are content with, then we deserve to be the armpit if the NFC East.  No successful organization, business, sports franchise has ever gotten anywhere great by being okay with being okay.

11 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Defense still needs serious upgrading...can't imagine it will all come from the draft and don't see anyone taking any kind of huge step up this season among the players we do have right now.

You also still got June 1st cuts.   I like what they have done at WR.  I like Swearinger.  If they think they can ride with our current MLBs, I don't like it but I'll go for that ride again if need be.  My beef is all on the D line.   I don't like the status quo on D line.  But it seems IMO so crazy to ride with the status quo on D line that the one thing that makes me pause is they must have something cooking.  Similar to my take on Kirk getting a LTC, I think its too crazy for them not to get it done.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

I can only speak for myself but my standards are extremely high. Based on my time here so are the standards of just about very person on this board. Just because people - including myself - point out improvement does not mean anyone is satisfied.

The point being made is that there are signs of improvement. Choose to ignore that if you want, but while it's been slow there are sign of improvement. Yes, we are 1 of only 11 teams in the NFL that have won 2 divisions and had 3 winning season in the last 5. Is that good enough? Of course not! To say so would be absurd. Just as absurd as questioning someone's standards. It's a fact. There are signs of improvement. That's all that's being said. Nothing more - nothing less.

Clearly we all want better.

I know you have been here long enough to know the standards of everyone on this board are NOT that high...Some are, somes standards are just not being 32nd in the NFL.  Im all for signs of improvement, its great, and Ive always preached that change takes time.  But that being said, the scary thing about "Signs of improvement" is they are a general factor surrounding the team, that all players/coaches/personel take credit for.  Its how Jim Haslett got jobs when he was trash.  The thing that concerns me is the "signs of improvement" corresponded ONLY with the past 2 years, and the prior 5 were a downward slope.  Im not saying it was Scotty Mac who was responsible instead of Gruden, but its got to be of great concern that the one who coincided with 2 years of success is gone and the one who coincided with 5 years of downward trend is still here.

Saying that Bruce Allen is okay because he won one division title in 5 years is not a high standard, no matter which way you pretend.  And no, thats "not all thats being said" because its been very specifically pointed out Allen's "history of success", not just the past 2 years of improvement.

Good balanced read I thought on Quick

Los Angeles Rams wide receiver Brian Quick’s career has been nothing short of interesting.

Quick’s up-and-down career was capped off in 2016 with a solid performance. In 2016, the wide receiver reached his first full season and did so with great production.

But, much like the past six years, his future with the Rams or any other team is uncertain.

What Quick will we see in 2017?
We all know Quick’s story, and that’s why predicting his future is as simple as predicting what the color blue smells like. One of Fisher’s qualities (or faults, depending on who you ask) is being extremely committed to his players. When Nick Foles wasn’t doing well at quarterback, all Fisher did was campaign for him and openly talk about how nothing will change at quarterback for the time being.

Foles was replaced, but Fisher committed to him too long. The same could be said about Fisher and his commitment to Quick.

Quick had two years of little playing time and drops, and a third year cut short by injury, and a fourth year of repeating the initial two. Any other coach would have let Quick walk after his rookie contract ended. Instead, Fisher and Snead brought back Quick on a one-year “prove it” deal, and Quick did just that.

He had the best year of his career, despite playing for the worst offense in the league. In fact, Quick and Kenny Britt both had career years and looked like a pair of good receivers.

Of course, both receivers could enter free agency just as their careers turn around.

But unlike Britt, Quick’s 2017 is uncertain. Britt has been slowly progressing and had consecutive seasons of solid production. Quick has never has never had that, which might cause teams to look away come free agency.

Should the Rams be one of those teams?

Will Quick even fit McVay’s plans?
Since becoming the youngest head coach in history, Sean McVay has revealed little about what his plans for the offense will be. McVay had a two-hour film powwow with Jared Goff, which revealed that “everything runs through the quarterback.”

But after that, we don’t know anymore than what the last few year’s of Washington’s offense has revealed.

The Redskins are a vertical team, who liked to throw it deep and throw it often. Like the Rams, the Washington running game suffered in 2016 (while it was nowhere near as bad as Los Angeles’ struggles). So, McVay and the offense spread the ball around on frequent and aggressive passing drives.

Could Quick fit into that system? I don’t see why not.

In the 2016 season, particularly the first quarter when the Rams were most aggressive in their offense, Quick was a valuable weapon. He would stretch the field and make over-the-shoulder or on-the-run catches down the field. Even when he wasn’t on the post routes, Quick could still be a valuable asset. There were several times when Keenum or Goff would toss the ball up into the air, and Quick would jump up to snatch it.

Quick did more than put up good numbers in 2016, he displayed his true potential.

Verdict: Re-Sign
After his career season, Quick will probably want more than a one-year deal, and if it’s moderate in salary (no more than $3.5 million), the Rams should commit to Quick for 2-3 years.

It’s a gamble, because Quick could go right back to being a non-factor, but the possibility of him building on his 2016 is too good to pass up. Outside of DeSean Jackson, Ashlon Jeffery, and Pierre Garcon, the wide receiver pool in this year’s free agency isn’t deep. T

he Rams doing away with solid wide receivers like Quick and Britt isn’t the wisest choice, especially if they fail to attract Jackson or Garcon.

Read more: http://profootballspot.com/9-players-rams-re-sign-let-walk-brian-quick/#ixzz4cGACyOQq

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You also still got June 1st cuts.   I like what they have done at WR.  I like Swearinger.  If they think they can ride with our current MLBs, I don't love it but I'll go for that ride again if need be.  My beef is all on the D line.   I don't like the status quo on D line.  But it seems IMO so crazy to ride with the status quo on D line that the one thing that makes me pause is they must have something cooking.  Similar to my take on Kirk getting a LTC, I think its too crazy for them not to do one.

This is the only place I have to disagree with you. I don't mind Foster, but Compton has to go as a starter. He was terrible, and from what Manusky was saying about being on the same page, that starts with your defensive signal caller. He can't be starting for us this year. The plus side is there there seems to be quite a few really good ones in the draft this year, which is why I'm not panicking on this position yet.

I don't think June 1st cuts will help us much on the DL either, to be honest. And I think the draft really doesn't have the NT we need.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You also still got June 1st cuts.   I like what they have done at WR.  I like Swearinger.  If they think they can ride with our current MLBs, I don't love it but I'll go for that ride again if need be.  My beef is all on the D line.   I don't like the status quo on D line.  But it seems IMO so crazy to ride with the status quo on D line that the one thing that makes me pause is they must have something cooking.  Similar to my take on Kirk getting a LTC, I think its too crazy for them not to do one.

To add to the KC LTD I would have thought that once Gruden was signed to a 2 year guaranteed extension that KC's LTD would have been coming soon there after.  Seems strange we haven't signed KC to one but I sure hope we do.  With the signing of Pryor, albeit 1 year and Quick (probably the same) it seems like they are doing what others have said in various written articles that the Skins would be adding toys for KC so they may be trying to lure him to a LTD but the money has to be right for KC and I don't see McCarthy (KC's agent) budging much.

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

To add to the KC LTD I would have thought that once Gruden was signed to a 2 year guaranteed extension that KC's LTD would have been coming soon there after.  Seems strange we haven't signed KC to one but I sure hope we do.  With the signing of Pryor, albeit 1 year and Quick (probably the same) it seems like they are doing what others have said in various written articles that the Skins would be adding toys for KC so they may be trying to lure him to a LTD but the money has to be right for KC and I don't see McCarthy (KC's agent) budging much.

Source close to the Cousins camp tells me as long as Bruce Allen is team president , he will NOT negotiate a long term deal. #redskins

— Chick Hernandez (@CHICKatCSN) March 10, 2017

More evidence this Cousins debacle is on Bruce. 

Unbelievable incompetence at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

This is the only place I have to disagree with you. I don't mind Foster, but Compton has to go as a starter. He was terrible, and from what Manusky was saying about being on the same page, that starts with your defensive signal caller. He can't be starting for us this year. The plus side is there there seems to be quite a few really good ones in the draft this year, which is why I'm not panicking on this position yet.

I don't think June 1st cuts will help us much on the DL either, to be honest. And I think the draft really doesn't have the NT we need.

In my post I said I didn't like what we have at MLB but if we have to ride with it so be it.  The point to me is running with the status quo on MLB isn't the end of the world.  However, I'd love to add a game changer at MLB.  On the draft thread, my current top pick is Hasson Reddick.  I would hazard a guess that I am in the top 5 on the board in posts beating up Will Compton.  But I think a monster D line can offset the MLB position.  The Giants IMO are a case in point.  They are stout up the middle and on the edges -- their MLBs aren't anything to write home about. 

But a weak D line and mediocre MLBs -- that I don't like.  And if we are frozen in time and we ride with the status quo, that's IMO what it looks like right now.  It just strikes me too crazy that they ultimately go on that ride.   

So Quick is our replacement for Desean, and Pryor is our replacement for Pierre? I can see Pryor actually outplaying what Garcon did for us, and earning a LTD. But I'm not sure about Quick. 

In regards to Chick's tweet about Kirk not signing a LTD unless Bruce is gone. I'm chalking that up to one of those media created things. Doesn't mean Kirk is cool with Bruce, it is more likely to me that he probably dislikes him a lot. But that doesn't mean Kirk would forego likely his best opportunity to be successful(which is staying in Jay's offense). 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In my post I said I didn't like what we have at MLB but if we have to ride with it so be it.  The point to me is running with the status quo on MLB isn't the end of the world.  However, I'd love to add a game changer at MLB.  On the draft thread, my current top pick is Hasson Reddick.  I would hazard a guess that I am in the top 5 on the board in posts beating up Will Compton.  But I think a monster D line can offset the MLB position.  The Giants IMO are a case in point.  They are stout up the middle and on the edges -- their MLBs aren't anything to write home about. 

But a weak D line and mediocre MLBs -- that I don't like.  And if we are frozen in time and we ride with the status quo, that's IMO what it looks like right now.  It just strikes me too crazy that they ultimately go on that ride.   

I can't argue with this really. I do have hope in the draft for a ILB to replace Compton, not so much for NT and DL help.

38 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I have some hope that we see some steps taken in the secondary...I think Su'a and Kendall Fuller could take some steps ..I also haven't given up on Bashaud yet but starting to wonder if his head is in it

The rest of the steps would just be coaching related so hopefully that makes some sort of difference on the front 7

I am still telling myself that Tomsula is Mozart on the defensive line

16 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Source close to the Cousins camp tells me as long as Bruce Allen is team president , he will NOT negotiate a long term deal. #redskins

Why would you believe some chick?

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

I can't argue with this really. I do have hope in the draft for a ILB to replace Compton, not so much for NT and DL help.

Maybe so.  If they ride with the status quo in FA and switching off to the draft.  I don't see an obvious D line pick at #17.  Tomlinson maybe in the 2nd or 3rd.  I think they put themselves in a hole at NT where they can't risk waiting until the 3rd to take whomever they are targeting whether its Tomlinson, Qualls or whomever.

I suspect Koolblue is right and they might ride with Malik McDowell at #17.  A boom or bust type.  Jay likes saying that Manusky is Mr. Motivator so perhaps they think they can get the best out of him.  I was thinking maybe Brantley but I wonder about his short arms and whether that's a fit for a 3-4. 

29 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Kirk spoke to Adam Schefter about the contract stuff several days after this "scoop" and confirmed he has no personal issues and is happy to sign a LTD in Washington if the team and his agent can come together on terms.  The reason he is not signed so far is we have not offered a deal worth signing when he already knows he can make $50 million plus in guaranteed money in the next 2 years.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe so.  If they ride with the status quo in FA and switching off to the draft.  I don't see an obvious D line pick at #17.  Tomlinson maybe in the 2nd or 3rd.  I think they put themselves in a hole at NT where they can't risk waiting until the 3rd to take whomever they are targeting whether its Tomlinson, Qualls or whomever.

I suspect Koolblue is right and they might ride with Malik McDowell at #17.  A boom or bust type.  Jay likes saying that Manusky is Mr. Motivator so perhaps they think they can get the best out of him.  I was thinking maybe Brantley but I wonder about his short arms and whether that's a fit for a 3-4. 

I hope not. I don't like him at NT. I'd like him at DE IF there wasn't such an issue with his work ethic. Guys like him boom with the Patriots, bust with us. Rather take a ILB with our pick in the first, a lot more talent and less issues.

Archived