Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

22 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Does the Quick signing eliminate the possibility of drafting a WR in first three rounds? I hope so.

Don't know, but if Mike Williams of Clemson slips down, it would be tempting.

18 minutes ago, arftech said:

Seriously, Brian Quick?  Exactly where was the weakness on this football team last year?  C'mon Man!

Hail Em Up!

Quick had his best year as a pro in 2016 despite the Rams Qb woes.  And his best games went against those whom secondaries rank pretty high.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7477/brian-quick

The consensus so far is Quick is a good signing but I was hoping the team address areas that were extremely troubling last year...the defensive line and linebacker.  Perhaps they think they have via the FA angle and will use the draft later on to complete the build.  However, I now see the value in adding a veteran receiver with the deletions of DeSean and Pierre.

Hail Em Up!

9 minutes ago, arftech said:

The consensus so far that Quick is a good signing but I was hoping the team address areas that were extremely troubling last year...the defensive line and linebacker.  Perhaps they think they have via the FA angle and will use the draft later on to complete the build.

Yeah, I wasn't happy when Minter signed without us doing anything about it. Brown is still out there.

2 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

This is a really good pickup. Not sure why anyone would say it's a bad pickup. 

Depth at any position is good and I don't believe in Doctson yet anyways.

Sign Hightower as depth at RB and go nuts on the draft on defense.

DeAngelo Williams is still available. Younger and less knee issues.

Quick was still making things happen on that terrible offense, saw a lot of Ram's games last season. If Doctson is healthy having Quick coming off the bench makes this WR core pretty freaking scary with pretty much any combination of our guys out there!!!!

5 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

DeAngelo Williams is still available. Younger and less knee issues.

I really like this idea. He has looked great filling in for Bell and hasn't been used heavily, because he is just a backup. I think he would have a lot of potential.

17 minutes ago, Guardshock said:

What's your beef with Harris? Definitely an up and coming reciever. Seemed to have trust of KC last year. He's also a cousin and trains with Keenan Allen.

Don't see him being more than a #5 WR...I don't think he has the speed or YAC....I prefer him over Grant; that's for sure.  

9 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Don't see him being more than a #5 WR...I don't think he has the speed or YAC....I prefer him over Grant; that's for sure.  

It's a good point, if Quick puts Grant on the bench or on a different team, I'd like it.  Though I hate picking on Grant but his story just seems so reminiscent of Taylor Jacobs.  But maybe I need to give him a break. :)  Jay talks up Grant, so I am gathering he's going nowhere.    Apparently, he's a good blocker who carries his assignments well.

I admit I liked the Andre Roberts signing years back.  So I am not sure I trust my instincts on this one.  But in theory I like the fact that he has size.  Jay will finally have himself big receivers like he did in Cincy.

It's Bruce getting another value signing.  I think he's good at that.   And I don't mean that sarcastically.  I like that as part of the soup.  I just don't want that as the full soup.   I'd just like to see a deal where we just flat out -- outbid another team to land our man.  Because while there is some merit to having some value signings IMO the way to win FA is to land a marquee guy or two and get those decisions right.  

The idea that we can dump contracts easily when the signings don't work out is nice.  But I want a risky signing or two where we our stuck with the contract for a few years.  If it doesn't work so be it.  No guts no glory. :)

24 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Harris is supposed to have the best hands on the team per twitting..tweeter...uh, tweetering...per that one guy on twitter.

JP FinlayVerified account @JPFinlayCSN

JP Finlay Retweeted Brandon Russell

Good point. Heard from more than 1 player that Mo has best hands on the team

18 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

He is Quick!

really.gif

4 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Really I didn't know that

Yep I like that more 

The Steelers are not expected to re-sign free agent RB DeAngelo Williams.
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette believes that "ship has sailed." Williams did a great job filling in for Le'Veon Bell the past couple seasons, but Bouchette expects Pittsburgh to address running back in the draft and get younger there. Turning 34 next month, Williams hasn't drawn an ounce of known interest but could be waiting for training camp to sign. Mar 22 - 9:50 AM

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I never get the position that it's ok to let a strength of the team get weaker when you have the opportunity to keep it a strength (and even make it stronger). As of right now Quick could be argued to be a better WR than all on the Skins' roster except Crowder and Pryor. If Doctson comes thru, then yes, give me Pryor, Doctson, Crowder, Quick and Harris as my top 5 every single day of the week.

Besides, I doubt anyone at Redskins Park was saying "Ok, guys...we can either sign a WR or sign a DL. Which should we sign?"

I agree with this though it looks like Doctson is healthy and if so I'd bet he at least ends up the 2nd best receiver on the roster.  Though to this point, any player can get hurt at any time so positions that look deep can end up becoming thin real quick.  

I take the DL point in a different direction.  IMO its good to see they are still poking around in FA -- whether they are working off of Scot's list or their own so I suspect they might have some D line targets still in play.  My main disclaimer on FA as for the D line is that we don't know that they are done.   I agree with those who aren't happy with the haul so far on the d line but the book isn't closed yet.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with this though it looks like Doctson is healthy and if so I'd bet he's at least he ends up the 2nd best receiver on the roster.  Though to this point, any player can get hurt at any time so positions that look deep can end up becoming thin real quick.  

I take the DL point in a different direction.  IMO its good to see they are still poking around in FA -- whether they are working off of Scot's list or their own so I suspect they might have some D line targets still in play.  My main disclaimer on FA as for the D line is that we don't know that they are done.   I agree with those who aren't happy with the haul so far on the d line but the book isn't closed yet.

Yep, can't disagree with any of that.

Defense still needs serious upgrading...can't imagine it will all come from the draft and don't see anyone taking any kind of huge step up this season among the players we do have right now.

Archived