Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The New York Post reports there’s a "good shot" free agent DT Johnathan Hankins re-signs with the Giants.

Hankins is holding out for a multi-year contract, but hasn't come close to his $8 million-plus asking price. The Giants cleared some cap space after extending Jason Pierre-Paul ($9 million) and getting pay cuts from Dwayne Harris and Shane Vereen. Returning on a prove-it deal could be Hankins' best chance at cashing in next offseason.

If the Giants get a couple solid OL in the draft, I have a hard time believing they don't have the best chance to win the division this year.

Sadly I agree.  They are going to be a tough out.  Great D line, great secondary.  The other route they could go is MLB -- arguably its their one weaknesses on defense.  The season before the last one, their defense was horrible.    They turned it around there fast.

1 hour ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Doctson has just as good of a chance as any of those receivers you named producing their first or second year. Don't understand the logic that the odds are against it, like all of a sudden he was a 5th round draft pick instead of a 1st or something...

Being as he didn't play or practice much at all, the odds are stacked against him already. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah it would be one thing if Laconfora was on an island but he has plenty of company (Grant Paulsen, Chris Russell. Albert Breer, Mike Jones, Jerry Brewer). 

It seems like you got Bruce's back.  That's cool.  For me, I just don't see what has earned Bruce the benefit of the doubt.  But I am open minded, lets see what the dude does next.  It's a big off season.  Big decisions coming on GM and Kirk. 

Yeah, I'm probably a loud defender of Bruce right now and as a former front line critic of the front office, this is a definite change for me. I will just say that as much as I respect Grant and Mike Jones (the others are meh to me), not everything they say is gospel. We've seen contradictions in the Mike Jones report (the one before Cooley accused Scot of drinking). He said it was ALL about jealousy. Now we're seeing at least some come in and say it was about the drinking, then Art came and said it was also about Scot not answering his phone. I just don't like the way that the media seemed to have a foregone conclusion that Bruce was the enemy. Its like a novel with pre-defined roles. 

But its whatever though. 

I wanted to comment on something else you stated, which was that we still have June first. I'll say this and its probably not exactiy true. Bruce (and Scot) don't like to go into the draft with any glaring holes that give away our position. Its not saying that he'll do the best at it, but people act like he just got lucky with the Jackson and Norman signings - and I'll say that he probably partially did, but I will say that he probably deserves some credit for not going gung ho crazy in the first stages of free agency by overpaying for underqualified guys. There are always things like surprise cuts, salary based cuts and june first cuts. He (and every other GM) probably has a list of potential cuts lined up and is waiting for one of them. I'll say that Norman was likely a calculation he was betting on. Not a lot, but he hadn't signed his tender. And it paid off. 

I feel like we're going to sign more mid-tier players before the draft and not have any glaring holes and be able to pick BPA. 

One of the big problems going into the draft with such GLARING holes on our DL, is that other teams see this too. When a big fat interior DL  looks like he'll fall to us at 17, you can bet teams also in need will be trading up get pick #16. When everyone knows where you HAVE to pick, you begin to lose out on the talent that you need. That's why I still think we need to plug our biggest holes in order to give us some unpredictability come draft time.

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Any other sources saying this as well? Don't know anything about that guy so idk, could be legit. Maybe it's something that's been happening behind the scenes that will be a surprise signing?

Sorry to stir the pot. No one else reporting this

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sadly I agree.  They are going to be a tough out.  Great D line, great secondary.  The other route they could go is MLB -- arguably its their one weaknesses on defense.  The season before the last one, their defense was horrible.    They turned it around there fast.

You rattle Eli they are a different team and he only has a few more years left.  So important we keep KC here on a LTD.

15 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Any insight on what GB can expect from Ricky Jean Francois?

Best years are behind him, but he doesn't take snaps off and has a high motor. Rotational guy, but will play hard for you. Going back to 2015, Football Outsiders Advanced stats:

Advanced Stats vs Pass

All Pass Plays Receptions Only
Year Team Pos Plays Stops Dfts Yd/Play Rank Stop Rate Rank Pct Tm Tkl Stops Stop Rate
2015 WAS DE 5 5 3 -3.0 17 100% 1 1% 2.0 2.0 100%

Year Team Pos Plays Stops Dfts Yd/Play Rank Stop Rate Rank Adj Pct Tm Total Rank Run/Pass Ratio
2015 WAS DE 26 24 8 0.0 6 92% 3 3% 66 4.2

1 hour ago, I Love The Skins said:

I don't think that tweet about Jonathan Hankins signing with the Redskins is legit. No one else is reporting it and last week Mike Jones saying that they weren't going to be using the money to him or Poe pretty much indicated to me that they aren't interested in Hankins IMO.

Probably didn't have interest in him when he was asking for $10M per season. If his price has dropped to $5M, then the Skins may have an interest in him at that price.

6 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I see Hank is listed as a DT.  Does he want to play nose?

Perhaps the reason we struggle to find one is because few want to play the position. Finding a viable nose seems extremely difficult.

A bad nose sure can ruin a great face....:ols:

Have had thought that about Hank at DT too, both Taylor and AJ Francis are 330+ pure NT material. Reckon we snag another mid round as a value pick in the draft and let them fight it out.

13 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Really?

Not sure about that he dismissed that he asked for a trade.

Pretty sure that's about it.

After everything Cousins said in his radio interview almost no one is saying or believing that he won't sign a LTD if Bruce is still in charge. I mean, think about it: If he didn't ask for a trade AND will not sign a LTD if Allen is in charge, why even go talk to them? lol...

Kirk basically said he wanted clarification on what the Skins' plans were for him--and after all the drama-filled speculation masquerading as "source"-based fact in the media, I don't blame him.

Two Teams Interested In Trading For Sheldon Richardson, Unlikely To Offer More Than 4th-Rd Pick

Jason Cole of B/R spoke to two teams who indicated that they’re interested in trading for Jets DL Sheldon Richardson, but neither would offer very much for him at this point in time.

According to Cole, the executives both said they would be willing to part with a fourth-round pick for Richardson. Although, the executives did say they would consider a conditional 2018 pick instead that could end up being higher based on his play and whether they’re able to sign him to a long-term contract.

Unfortunately, Cole doesn’t offer any specifics regarding which teams are interested in a trade for Richardson.

anyone think we might be one of the two teams? (If there really are two teams, that is...I still don't trust Cole for anything)

11 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah, I'm probably a loud defender of Bruce right now and as a former front line critic of the front office, this is a definite change for me. I will just say that as much as I respect Grant and Mike Jones (the others are meh to me), not everything they say is gospel. 

But its whatever though. 

I will say that he probably deserves some credit for not going gung ho crazy in the first stages of free agency by overpaying for underqualified guys. There are always things like surprise cuts, salary based cuts and june first cuts. He (and every other GM) probably has a list of potential cuts lined up and is waiting for one of them. I'll say that Norman was likely a calculation he was betting on. Not a lot, but he hadn't signed his tender. And it paid off. 

I feel like we're going to sign more mid-tier players before the draft and not have any glaring holes and be able to pick BPA. 

As for Bruce, even riding with Art's version, I don't like the narrative from the framework of the power structure of the front office and I don't care whether it was existing like that from day 1 or it evolved into it.    Who was to blame in the spitting match between Scot and Bruce, I don't really care.  But watching how Scot left the door and ditto Shanny both under Bruce's watch -- I suspect if its not Bruce someone at Redskins Park isn't Mr. or Mrs Easy Going about things.

As for free agency.  I defended Scot/Bruce's approach before the start of this round of FA by more or less saying I got the vibe that it will change this time.  And moving cap room forward and not spending previously will help the push for the playoffs this year.  So far it didn't happen.  So now I am the reverse of how you described yourself about the FO.  I'd turned from defender to critic with the disclaimer of they can still do something and I haven't given up.

The way I defended the FO previously is accept the premise of the critics.  Yeah a good chuck of the cheap "bargain" free agents have failed.  But when you are shopping in the flea market really most teams fail with these type of signings.  Yeah their signings last year to improve the weak D line were "meh" K. Reyes and Ziggy Hood.  But watch what they do this off season.  Watch this off season was my theme.  But this off season is really like the others so far.

Maybe my perspective on this it too influenced by Giants fans who are basically all my in-laws. :)  Because I watched them turned their horrific defense around over night the previous off season by "overpaying" for 3 stud defensive players.  They didn't get any Bruce style bargains.    Now when i turn on the TV this off season, I am watching the NFL pundits argue whose got the division is it the Giants or the Cowboys.  We aren't even in the conversation.  I am sure Giant fans don't care when they watch Damon Harrison stuff Rob Kelly like he's a rag doll -- that they overpaid for him.  When we likely discover that Stacy McGee is no Damon Harrison, I am not going to say to myself on the couch but you know what maybe not so -- but what a deal Bruce got him for!

Having said that, as I've mentioned on this thread I like the Bruce style of bargains as part of the soup.  It shouldn't be the whole drill or even most of it IMO.  A big part of the idea of FA is if you want the really good players, you rarely get them at a discount and if anything you have to overpay for them.

And I do agree more help could be on the way.   Desean Jackson was a decent size splurge years back but not huge.  Norman was a huge one and I suspect that one was very driven by Scot and I explained why in another post.  But sometimes you got to take more drastic measures when you have a unit that's historically bad.  At the moment, we have the equivalent of a roof that's falling apart and instead of buying a new one we are caulking up the cracks.  When the Giants roof was falling apart they replaced it.  And arguably now they are a better team than we are.   They were more than the Redskins could handle with the playoffs on the line. 

As for the current FA haul. I love Pryor and I like Swearinger. I do think though if they don't get lucky in the draft the D line is going to be bullied and overrun just as much as they were last season.   

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Two Teams Interested In Trading For Sheldon Richardson, Unlikely To Offer More Than 4th-Rd Pick

anyone think we might be one of the two teams? (If there really are two teams, that is...I still don't trust Cole for anything)

I got a strong sense Scot liked Richardson I brought him up to him (I mentioned that in one of my posts) but the Jets were asking for too much.  As for the current brass, who knows?   I'd trade a 4th rounder for him in two seconds, especially considering we got two 4th rounders.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got a strong sense Scot liked Richardson I brought him up to him (I mentioned that in one of my posts) but the Jets were asking for too much.  As for the current brass, who knows?   I'd trade a 4th rounder for him in two seconds.

Do we have a second 4th rounder this year?...Was that one of the additional picks we gained from last year's draft trades? I'm too lazy to look it up lol...

23 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Sound like someone we know? Hmmm...Napoleon Complex, more money than sense, tyrannical boss with hair-trigger temper....hmmmm...

I don't rule it out, it would fit previous narratives.  Though Breer thinks this is all Bruce as for the battle with Scot.  But who knows?

Archived