Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

the Skins might be willing to go with Francis and Mbu or at least give them a shot, because they're the same kind of guys Baker was.  Released by a couple teams, spent time on practice squads and developed into a player

Wish they'd do the same with giving young players the LG spot so we can jettison Lavauo and put that cap savings towards Kirk/FA D/ FA LB/ext Moses or Long...but we know that wont happen.  Its like Bruce thinks cap money can be used to build a new stadium or something.  Ha

20 hours ago, carex said:

it's commonly said that it takes three years for an NFL WR to get the game.  Doctson in only in year two and year on was  a wash.  Quick is our potential number 2 starter, though probably fourth receiving option

I dont think theres anyway Quick is our 2 starter.  At the least both Pryor and Crowder are ahead of him, and the only way hes ahead of Doctson I think is injury.  Decades ago it may have taken 3 years for a top NFL WR to get the game, but WR is one of the easiest position these days to transition to the NFL.  You dont read coverage, you dont pick up blitzes, you run your routes and catch your balls.  Look at Sterling Shepherd and Michael Thomas last year, Devante Parker and Amari Cooper the year before, and the 2014 draft had 5 WRs that were about 1000 yards receivers in their first year, or their second year(with 4 out of 5 being almost 1000 yards in both).

1 hour ago, RabidFan said:

Wish they'd do the same with giving young players the LG spot so we can jettison Lavauo and put that cap savings towards Kirk/FA D/ FA LB/ext Moses or Long...but we know that wont happen.  Its like Bruce thinks cap money can be used to build a new stadium or something.  Ha

I wonder if besides Arie we might give Painter a shot at LG.  I know he's at least backed up at RG

22 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I dont think theres anyway Quick is our 2 starter.  At the least both Pryor and Crowder are ahead of him, and the only way hes ahead of Doctson I think is injury.  Decades ago it may have taken 3 years for a top NFL WR to get the game, but WR is one of the easiest position these days to transition to the NFL.  You dont read coverage, you dont pick up blitzes, you run your routes and catch your balls.  Look at Sterling Shepherd and Michael Thomas last year, Devante Parker and Amari Cooper the year before, and the 2014 draft had 5 WRs that were about 1000 yards receivers in their first year, or their second year(with 4 out of 5 being almost 1000 yards in both).

I think there's a difference between number 2 receiver and number 2 target

15 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I feel like we're going to sign more mid-tier players before the draft and not have any glaring holes and be able to pick BPA. 

Well, that's kind of the problem, though. We needed at least one impact guy on the Dline. Not mid-tier guys, we already had those, and it destroyed us last season.

Now, I will be singing their praises if we manage to pull that off and get to the draft able to pick BPA with no issues, because that's my biggest concern right now with this personnel (outside of signing Kirk long term, of course). Don't like all the talk, including from the coaches, that we're going to address Dline in the draft. I'd love it if that's simply how it went at our picks, I'm a big fan of taking nothing but linemen with your top picks, but I hate the idea of boxing ourselves in. That's how you end up taking someone over another guy who ends up having a much better career, and you look back and say "man, we had that guy ranked higher on our board, too".  

This right here would be awesome if we could pull it off:

He's only 24, and a trade would likely mean he gets a big contract long term... but he could change our entire defense.  We were one of the teams during the season that the Jets spoke with supposedly, so those two teams mentioned here might still be us. 

The other thing I'm hoping when I hear them say things about addressing the defense via the draft, is that they don't mean they're going to ignore BPA... just that they have a bunch of guys they absolutely love that they feel like will be there even throughout the later rounds, so much so that it's almost impossible they come out of the draft without one or two of them. I wouldn't mind that if that's their thinking, but it still is risky. You never know how things go in the draft and if there's a run on guys or people trade up ahead of you. I think that's what happened to us last year, actually. 

*Edit* Just saw you guys were already talking about the Richardson thing here after I went through the rest of the thread. Figures, lol. 

One more thing I'm concerned about right now regarding going into the draft with obvious defensive needs, and I'm probably just being a paranoid nutcase, but I worry sometimes that Scot can sabotage our draft since he knows who we're looking at or not. By all accounts, we're following the board he was a major part of creating for the most part. So he knows who we really like.

Now, I'm sure there are NDAs and all that which legally forbid him to do so, but I'm not sure how the team would actually catch him in the act if he really wanted to. He could easily talk to his friends around the league and screw us over. It's going to be something in the back of my mind if I see teams trading up ahead of us or if there's a run on a position right before our pick. Especially if it's a team like the Seahawks. 

I just hate that I feel like Scot himself believes he was wronged by the organization. That's based on my belief that the leaks blaming Bruce came from him or those around him, not to mention his wife's tweet with the rings and the other one about leadership.

That's probably my biggest problem with all of this. I hate, hate, hate how often people we hire leave here angry and bitter. Yes, Scot was released twice before, but look at the difference between how it went down before versus how it went down with us. Just drives me crazy and, yes, I acknowledge how much our toxic media plays a role in that. Just wish the team would figure it out one way or another and stop this from ever happening. I doubt it is, but if it's all about the media just attacking them or assuming the worst, there are ways to appease them or to avoid it. We saw a pretty damn good relationship overall between the media and the team the last two years, it was refreshing. I hope we didn't lose that.  

Imagine how much "easier" our offseason would seem to be if we'd come out of last year's draft with Ryan Kelly in the 1st and Jarran Reed in the 2nd. We'd be talking about needing to fix WR and SS right now, and how much easier would that be. Damn Colts/Seahawks.

Richardson is a hell of a player. But in all honesty his play was not good last year. Add on the CONTINUOUS off field problems and I can see why no one wants to give up anything for him. Just the fact that the Jets are willing to trade him should tell you everything you need to know about the guy.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Just the fact that the Jets are willing to trade him should tell you everything you need to know about the guy.

Change of scenery and all that. Definitely something whoever is willing to trade for him has to figure out, but I don't think it's nearly as simple as "they want to trade him, therefore he sucks" or "look at what he did this past season" when there were clearly some issues with the Jets overall. Lot of guys seemed to rebel there last year for whatever reason.   

28 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Well, that's kind of the problem, though. We needed at least one impact guy on the Dline. Not mid-tier guys, we already had those, and it destroyed us last season.

Now, I will be singing their praises if we manage to pull that off and get to the draft able to pick BPA with no issues, because that's my biggest concern right now with this personnel (outside of signing Kirk long term, of course). Don't like all the talk, including from the coaches, that we're going to address Dline in the draft. I'd love it if that's simply how it went at our picks, I'm a big fan of taking nothing but linemen with your top picks, but I hate the idea of boxing ourselves in. That's how you end up taking someone over another guy who ends up having a much better career, and you look back and say "man, we had that guy ranked higher on our board, too".  

I really agree with a lot of what you say here, but we've been on the same page on this for some time. I disagree with Thinking skins on being able to get even mid tier guys on the DL at this point, especially at NT before the draft. Both our pickups so far I think are downgrades, other than age, and we still have a huge hole at NT that was not even addressed. So, I don't think we'll be going into the draft without holes, especially after reading Stormy's post on what Gruden had to say about the rest of FA. Last year we had a mid tier guy (Hood) playing completely out of position @ NT. You can't expect that to pan out.

I also agree with you that I don't like going into a draft with the amount of areas we need to upgrade. Like you, I like going lines because that is where I personally think you build from, but I don't like feeling we need to reach badly for a position. There are some really good pass rushers, LB's, corners, RB's, and S's out there, all of them areas we could improve on and go with BPA.

I understand that we need a true NT for the scheme we use but I can't fault the team for not signing one in FA so far.  There were 3 legitimate options at the start of the process and the 2 that signed got deals that I would not have wanted us to match.  Hankins is still there but everything we have heard suggests he vastly overestimates his worth and is not going to be signed by anyone until he comes back to reality.  

I think the team is right to wait and maybe fill this need in the draft but if they can't get their guy there then better value might be had in a trade ahead of training camp.  A lot of teams will re-assess their rosters after the draft and names we are not currently thinking of might end up on the trading block.

16 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I understand that we need a true NT for the scheme we use but I can't fault the team for not signing one in FA so far.  There were 3 legitimate options at the start of the process and the 2 that signed got deals that I would not have wanted us to match.  Hankins is still there but everything we have heard suggests he vastly overestimates his worth and is not going to be signed by anyone until he comes back to reality.  

I think the team is right to wait and maybe fill this need in the draft but if they can't get their guy there then better value might be had in a trade ahead of training camp.  A lot of teams will re-assess their rosters after the draft and names we are not currently thinking of might end up on the trading block.

The issue is how very risky that is. June 1st cuts might be the worst way to fill a hole. You have no idea who, if anyone that you need is going to get cut, but you also have likely tapped out what you have in cap space. I'll add that Hankins has fired his agent (which shows he in fact has come back to reality) and wants a long term deal, probably for cheaper per year than the guys that have signed one year deals, and we're not even in touch with him? It would be one thing if we talked to him and he still wanted too much, but the fact that we have not even bothered is nuts. it's the single biggest hole on the roster, and I frankly don't think there is a NT that is better than a 3rd round grade. No top talent. Having to reach for that is not something I look forward to.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Gordon would have to be reinstated first, right?...And the Browns would have to release him as well? Or trade him, I guess?...Seems like too many qualifiers to be a real possibility. Maybe the Browns trade him for a conditional 6th round pick in 2018 or something...

Talented, troubled WR.  This:  http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8282/josh-gordon

According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, Josh Gordon is expected to hear back from the league about his reinstatement application by late April or early May.
Gordon applied for reinstatement on March 1 and should learn his fate around the same time as the NFL Draft. Substance abuse issues have kept Gordon off the field since 2014. Browns coach Hue Jackson has washed his hands of Gordon, making it unlikely he'll be back with Cleveland even if he's reinstated. Gordon turns 26 in April. Mar 24 - 1:24 PM

I would most definitely take a shot on both richardson and Gordon for minimal risk.

Too much talent to let go to waste. Gordon can be eased in with our receiving corp already deep and Richardson, to me, seems like someone who just needs a change. Pretty much everyone in the Jets organization half-assed it last year.

10 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Gordon would have to be reinstated first, right?...And the Browns would have to release him as well? Or trade him, I guess?...Seems like too many qualifiers to be a real possibility. Maybe the Browns trade him for a conditional 6th round pick in 2018 or something...

6 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I dont think this Gordon interest thing is true. But playing along for a sec, if they essentially traded DJax and Garcon for Pryor and Gordon, I'd call that a net gain.

IF Gordon stayed away from drugs absolutely.

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

How could we be talking with Gordon's management while his rights are owned by the Browns (even while suspended). That's tampering. Gonna guess fake (or at least poorly sourced and unsubstantiated) tweet.

All true but possibly Brown's management has given them the OK to talk with his management.  Guessing here.

Archived