Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am sticking with money talks in FA, to me this off season isn't anything new as to FA.     LaConfora though suggested that all that's going on has had an influence on some of their targets to be the next personnel guy -- he said prospects don't like Bruce interfering among other things.   As for people thinking Bruce doesn't really interfere -- maybe so but apparently there is some perception out there that he does.  So I don't think its just some quirky off beat perception by some reporters and no one else buys into it.  So if Bruce isn't into power plays, etc hopefully he squares that away with whomever they are targeting.

I never have bought was JLa was selling and I'm not going to start today. This is the kind of story written up to excite fans because there's no way to verify anything, but at the same time he has cover because who would say this stuff openly. But we have no idea how many people have turned us down or how many we've tried to talk to. The 1.5 mil is a rumor as well and the talk when we hired Gruden was that this was such a bad place to work that Snyder had to hire first time head coaches at 4 mil a year to get them to come. Is he suddenly going cheap on hiring people? 

We have no idea what's going on in league circles. I've said this before but something is fishy when in January, nobody in the press is saying a thing about Scot's drinking then in February its been an open secret that suddenly became exposed when Cooley opened his mouth, then the former 980 program manager went on Dukes to say that Cooley knew what he was talking about, then after the firing somebody (possibly with no power to speak on the behalf of the front office) leaks a story to the paper that has had a fued with the front office for almost 2 decades. 

We'll see when the dust settles. 

4 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Not saying I dont like the player, Im just not sure I see the point in signing a #4 receiver that keeps Mo Harris from being the #4, and a guy who is our #6 receiving option...Id like to think in a fantasy world that money would go towards a position we actually need it, DLine.

it's commonly said that it takes three years for an NFL WR to get the game.  Doctson in only in year two and year on was  a wash.  Quick is our potential number 2 starter, though probably fourth receiving option

45 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

There is where I actually like Bruce's approach to FA. Finding some upgrades in depth for real moderate prices. He does a good job there. Unfortunately when he's looking at big ticket items we need, he's too many times "penny smart, dollar dumb."

Agree his understanding of the market today is off target. 

We don't need a big ticket item at RB but it should be to all an area of need. Do we want to go into the season next year with the same backfield? 

We need more players with high upside and minimal cost and I bring up Charles because I see a real high upside target who teams are scared of who might fit us very well next season

I believe that Charles has something left in the tank that's what I believe and I say that because it's arguable. He's been injured the past two seasons. When he wasn't hurt he was damn good. He can do it all too but best trait I think he would bring to us is his red zone rushing ability.

Reading the marketplace presently I am thinking that he won't come cheaper then now because everyone thinks this is a deep draft at RB and the free agent market for RBs is loaded right now; AP, Blount(30 years old another guy I like) Deangelo Williams etc. and if I was going to pick someone to sign and add some depth to this unit between them I like Charles slightly over Blount though you could add him here and I'd be very happy with that as well same concept applies for both men however Blount won't match last seasons numbers and Charles if he can stay healthy will surpass them

So hypothetical situation....Say the team signs Charles to a playing time incentative deal with the cost being 1.5 million if he gets hurt and doesn't play at all which tops out at up to 6 million for playing a full season deal for one year.

Would the fans like that? Does he improve the offense? Would it be a worthwhile gamble?

To me he would improve our running game so provided his knee can hold up that's a yes to all that for me. It depends on the contract structure though if it's worth doing you don't invest much into guys like this with that history

If we signed him we won't have to dip in the draft at RB 

Can it get done? Idk but maybe the Hightower visit was the team sending a message to the RB field agents saying we need someone which in fact we do. The question is who is the better choice and cheapest for getting not one but two players now to me

4 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Source close to the Cousins camp tells me as long as Bruce Allen is team president , he will NOT negotiate a long term deal. #redskins

— Chick Hernandez (@CHICKatCSN) March 10, 2017

More evidence this Cousins debacle is on Bruce. 

Unbelievable incompetence at this point. 

Cousins has already basically dismissed that rumor

2 hours ago, BigHuv21 said:

Sign Hankins and Zach Brown, trade a 3rd or 4th for Sheldon Richardson, Draft Forrest Lamp in the 1st and Joe Mixon in the 2nd #championship

I'm kidding, I think 

Just sign Hankins full stop. Bruce Allen is ruining what we have built-in the last 2 years. 

Gentlemen. I figured out Bruce's plan. He is waiting for T. Pot roast Knighton to save the day. Apparently Bruce believes Knighton should pay the Redskins for signing. Would be the first in history. 

By by the way Bruce we don't like you that much. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

We'll see when the dust settles. 

Yeah it would be one thing if Laconfora was on an island but he has plenty of company (Grant Paulsen, Chris Russell. Albert Breer, Mike Jones, Jerry Brewer). 

It seems like you got Bruce's back.  That's cool.  For me, I just don't see what has earned Bruce the benefit of the doubt.  But I am open minded, lets see what the dude does next.  It's a big off season.  Big decisions coming on GM and Kirk. 

If we're actually going to commit to building to the draft, then I'm fine with this approach to free agency.  A lot of these guys are low cost, respectable potential.  We aren't breaking the bank, but there's a chance for each of these guys to overachieve.

2 hours ago, BigHuv21 said:

Sign Hankins and Zach Brown, trade a 3rd or 4th for Sheldon Richardson, Draft Forrest Lamp in the 1st and Joe Mixon in the 2nd #championship

I'm kidding, I think 

If by some remote possibility that we sign Hankins, why would we trade for Richardson? It's either/or as far as I'm concern but bothis a pretty long shot to do. Mixon would be a PR nightmare. Decent rbs can be had in the mid-rds.

But I see that you were kidding, you think. :)

47 minutes ago, carex said:

it's commonly said that it takes three years for an NFL WR to get the game.  Doctson in only in year two and year on was  a wash.  Quick is our potential number 2 starter, though probably fourth receiving option

Commonly said by who? Many current top wrs were stars by their 2nd year if not their rookie year. Beckham, Cooks, Cooper, Landry, Michael Thomas, etc. 

We all hope Doctson becomes a star WR. But right now the odds don't favor that. 

17 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Commonly said by who? Many current top wrs were stars by their 2nd year if not their rookie year. Beckham, Cooks, Cooper, Landry, Michael Thomas, etc. 

here's one place: http://www.fantasysportshero.com/definitions/fantasy-football/3-year-wide-receiver/

apparently it's a bit of fantasy theory

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

... Kinda feels like we're stick to what we know and throw the crap out if it again.  They haven't seemed to show much concern for improving the running game beyond hopes and positive vibes. 

Signing Quick means Skins don't have expend a high Draft choice on a WR to replace Pierre.  

They can go for Cook or McCaffrey, an OLineman, a rush-monster or a Linebacker in the Draft.

Strategy makes sense.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

There is where I actually like Bruce's approach to FA. Finding some upgrades in depth for real moderate prices. He does a good job there. Unfortunately when he's looking at big ticket items we need, he's too many times "penny smart, dollar dumb."

The flaw in he current plan is that these bargains on offense will NEVER pan out if you don't have a QB.... Sign KC to LTD now!!!! And then we can do some bargain shopping.

The New York Post reports there’s a "good shot" free agent DT Johnathan Hankins re-signs with the Giants.

Hankins is holding out for a multi-year contract, but hasn't come close to his $8 million-plus asking price. The Giants cleared some cap space after extending Jason Pierre-Paul ($9 million) and getting pay cuts from Dwayne Harris and Shane Vereen. Returning on a prove-it deal could be Hankins' best chance at cashing in next offseason.

If the Giants get a couple solid OL in the draft, I have a hard time believing they don't have the best chance to win the division this year.

4 minutes ago, Butters20 said:

Arthur Jones released. Thoughts? Would he be an improvement for our current DL?

Him and Roy Miller whom was cut by the Jags earlier this FA period would be a mild improvement. Jones was a bust in Indy, but that's Indy . But would not mind kicking the tires on either one and just offer vet. min. if they do sign.

16 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Signing Quick means Skins don't have expend a high Draft choice on a WR to replace Pierre.  

They can go for Cook or McCaffrey, an OLineman, a rush-monster or a Linebacker in the Draft.

Strategy makes sense.

Quick isn't replacing Pierre, Doctson is.  Who they already spent a top pick on.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

If we're actually going to commit to building to the draft, then I'm fine with this approach to free agency.  A lot of these guys are low cost, respectable potential.  We aren't breaking the bank, but there's a chance for each of these guys to overachieve.

There's always a chance a guy can overachieve, but are the chances good is the question. I dont think we can bank our defense on overachieving. 

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Quick isn't replacing Pierre, Doctson is.  Who they already spent a top pick on.

There's always a chance a guy can overachieve, but are the chances good is the question. I dont think we can bank our defense on overachieving. 

Gotta go DL/ILB in the first two rounds, then we'll see.  Can definitely see the offensive pickups overachieving.

2 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

Doctson has just as good of a chance as any of those receivers you named producing their first or second year. Don't understand the logic that the odds are against it, like all of a sudden he was a 5th round draft pick instead of a 1st or something...

@Stormy

Wanted to link something that was posted in another thread because it answers some of the questions being asked. But Stormy is the one who posted it and I want everyone to look at that thread, it covers a lot of stuff, including FA and the draft. And I really wanted to give Stormy credit for his post. Really good read. But here is the FA part:

"• My other question to him was how they anticipated improving Run D issues, and getting off the field on 3rd Downs, given that there hasn't been a quantifiable upgrade to the DL/LB corp this offseason. He agreed that both were major issues, going so far as to say that the very first thing they plan to address when the team hits the practice fields this spring is the 3rd down defense. 

He candidly said that there were major schematic defects in last year's coordination. He said that there were unacceptable lapses in communication, alluding to former DC and DB coach in particular (and Jay is not one to throw a coach under the bus lightly). He said this was bad to the point that they weren't even getting defensive signals in on time with great frequency. He thinks that Manusky will fix the schematic, execution and energy flaws, while playing a much more aggressive style in coverage and blitz packages. 

On the personnel side he indicated that some DL were low in giving consistent energy, and inconsistent in their assignments. He likes McClain's motor and penetration skills and think McGee will help bolster against the run, while giving some push from DE spot. Hopes to see promise from a return to health for Phil Taylor, and a step forward by AJ Francis. Over the moon high on Lanier's development and potential. Otherwise, noted it's a great draft for D help at DL and ILB early and among DBs throughout."

As we might has suspected, we're basically done with FA, and will use the draft to try and fill defensive holes.

Archived