Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

2 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Well .. can we agree that paying Davis 3/11 is better than 3/15?    (assuming davis would take 3/11)

My point was it seemed like we overpaid for Davis given that he said he had no visits or interest and when he heard our initial offer he immediately accepted.

I should have left the backhanded comment re Cousins out of it I suppose ....   

Vernon Davis said he wasn't interested in playing anywhere else. He never said no other teams had interest. Before free agency started there multiple teams, including the Rams, who had interest. All Davis said about other teams was that his agent told me no other teams had made an offer yet. The Skins signed Davis during the tampering window, but before free agency officially started on March 9th. Had Vernon hit free agency his price might have actually gone up because McVay was trying to poach him, and he had others interested as well, possibly could have been a starter. Plus given his role in our offense, you have to pony up some cash because he very much does contribute, doesn't just ride bench most games. 

Plus, his contract his backloaded. The bulk of it is in 3rd year which he's probably not going to see and if he does, good chance there's a restructure. 

Given Reed's health and importance to the offense, having Davis was obviously important to the team since he knows the offense. 

One thing to give Skins credit for, they are pretty good lately with sticking around market value and not jumping too high above it. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've heard no talk about them being in the market for any of the MLB FAs so I am assuming the plan is to let it ride on MLB.  

I like Jay so no dig directed his way but when he said multiple times part of what he liked about Manusky was that he liked the players in house -- there might have been something to it.  Jay also he knew they needed to add to the defense but perhaps he wasn't thinking a major overhaul?  And or they are just going to go full blast on defense in the draft.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/01/24/jay-gruden-explains-greg-manusky-hiring/

“I interviewed a lot of people, took a lot of time. Greg is obviously very familiar with our team and he has a lot of confidence in the players that we have,” Gruden said on Tuesday at the Senior Bowl in Mobile. “ 

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/jay-gruden-felt-most-comfortable-promoting-greg-manusky-d-coordinator

"Greg sold me because he was sold on the players we have," Gruden said. "He’s a great motivator. They have to want to play for the coach."

Yeah, and therein is why if the defense isnt at least average this year, its 100% on Jay and Allen.  Theres no excuse for it, in a year where eveyone saw both the need and opportunity, to ignore it in favor of "staying put", unless you are 100% convinced you are right.  Failure is not an option.  I always found it beyond dubious that the reason he claims they hired him was because he said the players were all good enough.

2 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

If we offer more or equal money it doesn't mean a guy would sign here. It still takes two to tango. ;)

Thats why you offer $6 million!

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I would be OK with riding along with Foster. He got better last year as the year went on. But continuing to keep Compton starting in the middle of this defense is disgusting.

Im hopeful that one of either Spaight or Stevens will step up this year.  Stevens hopefully will have a year free of injuries, and Spaight currently is next in line.  

29 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

Vernon Davis said he wasn't interested in playing anywhere else. He never said no other teams had interest. Before free agency started there multiple teams, including the Rams, who had interest. All Davis said about other teams was that his agent told me no other teams had made an offer yet. The Skins signed Davis during the tampering window, but before free agency officially started on March 9th. Had Vernon hit free agency his price might have actually gone up because McVay was trying to poach him, and he had others interested as well, possibly could have been a starter. Plus given his role in our offense, you have to pony up some cash because he very much does contribute, doesn't just ride bench most games. 

Plus, his contract his backloaded. The bulk of it is in 3rd year which he's probably not going to see and if he does, good chance there's a restructure. 

Given Reed's health and importance to the offense, having Davis was obviously important to the team since he knows the offense. 

One thing to give Skins credit for, they are pretty good lately with sticking around market value and not jumping too high above it. 

I agree with resigning Davis to a point, if we are not going to give cousins a LTD then for me bringing Davis back is a waste of time and cap money, if your going to go with McCoy then you use what you gave Davis to a top tier DL because we won't score as many points so we need extra help on defense to keep us in games.

HTTR 

3 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I miss the days of "Redskins One"....I know many didn't love being the off-season champs, but I did....we failed because we never had consistent QB play and mediocre coaching....very rarely was it because of who we signed.

I miss it because for half a year we could believe in our team. Now we only get to do that every few years. Sure, the team is occasionally better, but it's fluke.

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

I agree with resigning Davis to a point, if we are not going to give cousins a LTD then for me bringing Davis back is a waste of time and cap money, if your going to go with McCoy then you use what you gave Davis to a top tier DL because we won't score as many points so we need extra help on defense to keep us in games.

HTTR 

Meh, it's possibly the deepest TE draft ever, especially for Reed clones. Davis would have waited until after the draft. He was sniffing retirement before last season. But now we've got him til hes 35. Guess that's to be expected from a team that loves dead cap hits.

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I miss it because for half a year we could believe in our team. Now we only get to do that every few years. Sure, the team is occasionally better, but it's fluke.

Meh, it's possibly the deepest TE draft ever, especially for Reed clones. Davis would have waited until after the draft. He was sniffing retirement before last season. But now we've got him til hes 35. Guess that's to be expected from a team that loves dead cap hits.

We have had back to back winning seasons. The team is still heading in the right direction. They are letting 30 something free agents become someone elses problem (other than Davis). They continue to sign guys who should be heading into the peak of their careers age wise. And we have 10 draft picks. Personally I think we have plenty to look forward too.

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We have had back to back winning seasons. The team is still heading in the right direction. They are letting 30 something free agents become someone elses problem (other than Davis). They continue to sign guys who should be heading into the peak of their careers age wise. And we have 10 draft picks. Personally I think we have plenty to look forward too.

That's an... optimistic point of view.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

pretty sure the deal can be gotten out of after two easily

34 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That's an... optimistic point of view.

good, we need some of that around here.  I'm sick of the attitudearound here

1 hour ago, carex said:

pretty sure the deal can be gotten out of after two easily

good, we need some of that around here.  I'm sick of the attitudearound here

Yes, with a dead cap hit.

People are pessimistic, because they saw a lame team last year with obvious holes repeatedly exploited, then dramatically lost our gm because the president who ran the ship poorly before needed to win a power struggle with said gm who people hailed as a savior, get to drunk again and then watch us take a load of hole addressing cap money and sit out most of FA again.

The pessimistic view is completely understandable right now.

The redskins, who've mostly sucked for over 20 years,  finally showed signs of promise and than failed. 

They've basically signed a one year deal with their fan base, because it's not fun anymore. 

1 hour ago, nemocystem said:

With regards to our outlook?

I continue to exercise the wise Buddhist teachings of the sage zen master Jim Zorn:

Stay medium.

We crushed medium last year.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Even still, it will be highly unlikely the draft produces more than just a couple good starting TEs. Best Skins would likely do is a late round flier. Given Reed's injuries and how much the offense goes through the TE position, we'd be much better off having to roll with Davis than a late round rookie, especially since Pryor is a gamble (good one, but still a risk) and Docston is an unknown quantity still (I'm high on him, but can't count on him just yet). 

2 hours ago, elkabong82 said:

Well written and after that I completely change my position. I was wrog. Nicely done man cheers 

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yes, with a dead cap hit.

People are pessimistic, because they saw a lame team last year with obvious holes repeatedly exploited, then dramatically lost our gm because the president who ran the ship poorly before needed to win a power struggle with said gm who people hailed as a savior, get to drunk again and then watch us take a load of hole addressing cap money and sit out most of FA again.

The pessimistic view is completely understandable right now.

The redskins, who've mostly sucked for over 20 years,  finally showed signs of promise and than failed. 

They've basically signed a one year deal with their fan base, because it's not fun anymore. 

okay, so in 2019 he costs 1.33 million to cut, not bad considering people were basically in favor of cutting our other backup TEs this season.

The GM people hailed as a savior left us with those holes, so I am less than impressed with people complaining about him being gone,  And I feel like the people talking about our cap space aren't actually looking at what people are signing for this offseason

9 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Well written and after that I completely change my position. I was wrog. Nicely done man cheers 

I honestly didn't think this was possible on ES.

Thank you! I wish more discussions went like this on here. 

1 hour ago, elkabong82 said:

Even still, it will be highly unlikely the draft produces more than just a couple good starting TEs. Best Skins would likely do is a late round flier. Given Reed's injuries and how much the offense goes through the TE position, we'd be much better off having to roll with Davis than a late round rookie, especially since Pryor is a gamble (good one, but still a risk) and Docston is an unknown quantity still (I'm high on him, but can't count on him just yet). 

Our offense lives and dies with the TE and Reed Is a monster question mark. We could draft Howard in the first and it'd make perfect sense. Seriously, there are a ton of TEs "similar" to Reed in this draft, even mid/late rounds.

If we cut him in year three, it's more dead cap, which I believe our "guru" has us top ten in. 

I'm totally not opposed to the resigning of Davis. Even over paying him. It was smart, even if he faded down the stretch on his retirement delaying one year contract.

I just don't think it's the grand slam for the win column people make it out to be.

1 hour ago, elkabong82 said:

I honestly didn't think this was possible on ES.

Thank you! I wish more discussions went like this on here. 

You mean people agreeing with your posts? Yeah right. Dude must be high af. :D

I kid, you're one of my favorite posters.

With KB on this. I'm a fan of resigning VD, & also agree that there are several possible TE types we could add via rhe draft this year to increase our support, & to add a more well rounded player to our depth chart.

Also...not holding my breath here...but Carrier, & Paul are still kinda just laying in the weeds there if either can get/stay healthy.  Again...not gonna hold my breath.

I still think that they target a late round TE for the draft. I'm looking at Jake Butt personally as a 4th possibly as early as 3rd. I don't see Paul making the roster if they do. Anyways I still stick to my previous take on it. Excellent signing of Davis no matter how you slice it.

1 hour ago, fordranger76 said:

I still think that they target a late round TE for the draft. I'm looking at Jake Butt personally as a 4th possibly as early as 3rd. I don't see Paul making the roster if they do. Anyways I still stick to my previous take on it. Excellent signing of Davis no matter how you slice it.

The vibe I get right now (based on nothing but speculation) is that we might go quantity. Spend a bunch of picks at dline and hope one of them works out. The more you draft, the more likely it is to find a good one. :chair:

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

The vibe I get right now (based on nothing but speculation) is that we might go quantity. Spend a bunch of picks at dline and hope one of them works out. The more you draft, the more likely it is to find a good one. :chair:

The ole Snyderado shutgun approach. 

42 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

But if Scot set the draft board before he was let go then it might not be quantity but quality. ;)

30 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I think at this point, the best we can hope for defensively is to be bad. Maybe not as bad as last year, but bad. Too many holes, and no way to fill them all in the draft. FA was at best a mixed bag, at worse we regressed.

Barry got a lot of the heat, especially for our atrocious 3rd down defense numbers. I believe the lack of talent was more of the issue than the scheme; a few months ago this was a fun debate. Being that we agree the talent hasn't improved, we should get some semblance of an answer next season to our "chicken or the egg" conversation.

Archived