Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Unless, there is an inhouse option that emerges... like Arie at guard or someone else.

Arie could very well replace Lauvao and I would be all for it. We would still need a back up center however. Heck in a perfect world we would replace Lauvao with Arie and draft a capable back up guard so we could cut him all together. But I say things that make sense sometimes so naturally the FO will do the opposite. 

16 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Arie could very well replace Lauvao and I would be all for it. We would still need a back up center however. Heck in a perfect world we would replace Lauvao with Arie and draft a capable back up guard so we could cut him all together. But I say things that make sense sometimes so naturally the FO will do the opposite. 

if Sullivan signs elsewhere we will probably look for a depth guy. I could even see us drafting a swing guy in the mid rounds.  We also have someone name Ronald Patrick, a street FA who's bounced around

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

C is def a need imo this offseason. I thought it was the right move to see how Long did this year but he wasnt fine imo. He was below average and putting him next to the rotation of weak LGs made LG-C a huge exploitable weakness for defenses and a playcall handicap for McVay/Gruden. 

I wouldnt cut Long but if there is a chance to upgrade, I would upgrade. Arie at LG, I wouldnt mind an open competition.

I just dont think you roll with the same weak LG and weak C again. The problems last year were obvious. One of the two positions needs to be upgraded.   

Upgrading at one of those spots will automatically upgrade the other.

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

C is def a need imo this offseason. I thought it was the right move to see how Long did this year but he wasnt fine imo. He was below average and putting him next to the rotation of weak LGs made LG-C a huge exploitable weakness for defenses and a playcall handicap for McVay/Gruden. 

I wouldnt cut Long but if there is a chance to upgrade, I would upgrade. Arie at LG, I wouldnt mind an open competition.

I just dont think you roll with the same weak LG and weak C again. The problems last year were obvious. One of the two positions needs to be upgraded.   

I have to disagree with you on C. I thought Long was a very good taking into account it was his first go around starting at that position. I'd expect him to be better for the experience as well.

Looks like Sullivan is gone so we need depth. I'd expect us to draft someone and if that person beats Long out great - but I don't expect it to happen.

I do think if we upgrade the LG spot that automatically helps whoever is at C.

Long is fine at starting C.  Quite possibly the best combo blocker in the league at that position.  I also think Kouandjio could make his case for LG this year if he's figured out how to adjust to blitz-schemes.  Would like to see us cut Lauvao, & add a young LG via the draft, & have him compete with Arie.

Also...looks like we're getting into silly season early here with all this smoke regarding draft prospects.  I mean...Bears wine, & dine Foster, & now they're gonna go for him at 3?  That's a smokescreen all day.  No way they draft him at 3...i think they're hoping to drop back a few spots, add a pick or 2,  & then draft a QB where they feel more comfortable about it.

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I've heard no talk about them being in the market for any of the MLB FAs so I am assuming the plan is to let it ride on MLB.  

I like Jay so no dig directed his way but when he said multiple times part of what he liked about Manusky was that he liked the players in house -- there might have been something to it.  Jay also he knew they needed to add to the defense but perhaps he wasn't thinking a major overhaul?  And or they are just going to go full blast on defense in the draft.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/01/24/jay-gruden-explains-greg-manusky-hiring/

“I interviewed a lot of people, took a lot of time. Greg is obviously very familiar with our team and he has a lot of confidence in the players that we have,” Gruden said on Tuesday at the Senior Bowl in Mobile. “ 

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/jay-gruden-felt-most-comfortable-promoting-greg-manusky-d-coordinator

"Greg sold me because he was sold on the players we have," Gruden said. "He’s a great motivator. They have to want to play for the coach."

12 minutes ago, nemocystem said:

Would like to see us cut Lauvao, & add a young LG via the draft, & have him compete with Arie.

I would have liked a LG in the high/mid rounds of the draft, but our neglect of key areas of need via FA so far will probably take that option away. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I would be OK with riding along with Foster. He got better last year as the year went on. But continuing to keep Compton starting in the middle of this defense is disgusting.

Gonna draft one to start, maybe even draft 2. Think the Falcons stated two rookies at LB this year...maybe..

but yep think it's Foster plus a rookie.

I heard a Vernon Davis interview when he was sitting in on Cooleys show for an hour. 

He said he had no offers or interest from any NFL teams, then his agent called him with the Skins offer, Davis said it sounded good and accepted. 

Vernon Davis's 3-year deal worth $15M includes $7.5M gtd & $4M signing bonus.$2M base in '17, $3.75M base in '18 ($1.5m fully gtd) - from master teafatsion twitter

Sounds like we offered an above market deal when there was no NFL teams even pursuing Davis. Im happy to have Davis but 3 yr 11M with 4M guaranteed might have gotten it done as well. Or at least started the convo. It sounds like our offer was so good there was zero negotiation. 

Lets be cheap with our franchise QB but needlessly overpay our 33 year old backup TE ...... 

5 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Lets be cheap with our franchise QB but needlessly overpay our 33 year old backup TE ...... 

What you call cheap I call the best insurance policy this team can have. As a backup TE Davis was very good and could start for a few teams in this league even at his age. Reed is too fragile to not have a solid back up and that's exactly what Davis is. The contract is not that bad and is not crippling the cap like a 25 million plus contract is. Cousins signed the tag at 25 million. That is his salary. You and I have a different opinion of what "cheap" is.

12 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

What you call cheap I call the best insurance policy this team can have. As a backup TE Davis was very good and could start for a few teams in this league even at his age. Reed is too fragile to not have a solid back up and that's exactly what Davis is. The contract is not that bad and is not crippling the cap like a 25 million plus contract is. Cousins signed the tag at 25 million. That is his salary. You and I have a different opinion of what "cheap" is.

Well .. can we agree that paying Davis 3/11 is better than 3/15?    (assuming davis would take 3/11)

My point was it seemed like we overpaid for Davis given that he said he had no visits or interest and when he heard our initial offer he immediately accepted.

I should have left the backhanded comment re Cousins out of it I suppose ....   

19 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Well .. can we agree that paying Davis 3/11 is better than 3/15?    (assuming davis would take 3/11)

My point was it seemed like we overpaid for Davis given that he said he had no visits or interest and when he heard our initial offer he immediately accepted.

I should have left the backhanded comment re Cousins out of it I suppose ....   

Of course if he would have taken that it would have been great. However I think the Skins were taking the approach of not letting him consider other offers and that's why he got what he got. The contracts in FA so far have been more or less frugal depending on how you look at it. I don't think as a whole this franchise is going to overspend again unless its a Norman type player.

32 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Forget cheap, it just defies the most basic common sense of negotiating. You don't start high, especially with a player who garnered zero interest from the other 31 teams. He's a MD kid, loved playing back home, we knew he wouldn't sign anywhere else without asking us for a counter offer. 

Start low and work your way to reasonable. Other side starts high and works their way to reasonable. Of course, if a player has other suitors maybe you start at reasonable. Did anyone else hear the 1 hour he did with Cooley? It sounded like Davis was content to just retire before the Skins offer out of the blue. 

We wouldnt be splitting hairs if there was some sort of news ... I googled and cant find any visits or anything Redskins related. 

8 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Forget cheap, it just defies the most basic common sense of negotiating. You don't start high, especially with a player who garnered zero interest from the other 31 teams. He's a MD kid, loved playing back home, we knew he wouldn't sign anywhere else without asking us for a counter offer. 

Fits the system perfectly. 5 million for a few yards shy of 600 yards. Yes that is a reasonable contract with WR's getting 12 for 1000 yards. Good locker room guy. HUGE insurance policy for one of our most brittle players. Made a lot of crucial catches this year. He was worth that to this team and that is why they offered what they did. They did not want to chance the guy even getting a sniff of any offer clearly. And it is a good chance no one had contacted him because we were only a few hours into the "legal tampering period" and he re-upped with us before free agency even started. 

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I would be OK with riding along with Foster. He got better last year as the year went on. But continuing to keep Compton starting in the middle of this defense is disgusting.

My guess is one of those picks in round 1-3 will be an ILB to toss in the mix hoping they can start.

14 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Fits the system perfectly. 5 million for a few yards shy of 600 yards. Yes that is a reasonable contract with WR's getting 12 for 1000 yards. Good locker room guy. HUGE insurance policy for one of our most brittle players. Made a lot of crucial catches this year. He was worth that to this team and that is why they offered what they did. They did not want to chance the guy even getting a sniff of any offer clearly. And it is a good chance no one had contacted him because we were only a few hours into the "legal tampering period" and he re-upped with us before free agency even started. 

I appreciate what you're saying, but you're missing my point about the basics of negotiating. The fact that he didn't even counter the offer says it all. I'm not unhappy that he's a Skin, but it just adds to the headscratching of the FO's free agency mindset.

Shouldn't Gruden of all people know that you'll say anything to get through a job interview? Obviously he sold Allen and ownership on the idea that he believed in and could salvage Griffin, when there's no way that's the case. 

24 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I miss the days of "Redskins One"....I know many didn't love being the off-season champs, but I did....we failed because we never had consistent QB play and mediocre coaching....very rarely was it because of who we signed.

Perhaps I'm off base on this but free agency this year seems much slower than in the past. Maybe it's because of the deep draft, I don't know.

24 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I miss the days of "Redskins One"....I know many didn't love being the off-season champs, but I did....we failed because we never had consistent QB play and mediocre coaching....very rarely was it because of who we signed.

Don't agree at all. Do you not remember all the ass. Lowns we brought here that sucked as soon as they put on a Redskin uniform. I'm glad we are not overpaying for guys that most likely would come here collect big $ and then point all tgeir problems at coaching. 

People are literally getting their panties in a bunch over not signing two overrated defensive lineman from out hated rivals. 

People want us to throw money to a guy who was on the team that knocked us out of the play offs and talked mad crap while doing it. His own team isn't budging but lets throw the bank at him and expect him to come in here motivated. 

Archived