Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

He's actually been good for the Saints the last couple years. Mark Ingram even lost his job to him at one point last season, but then he went off to sort of get it back. But they had a heavy time share there between the two and Hightower was surprisingly efficient. Wouldn't be against this if he comes on the cheap. Good pass catcher, too.  

Maybe Ryan Torain is finally healthy!

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

I had to go look, but I thought he was older. I actually liked him when he was here, and thought he got a little bit of a bad deal. Still, he's 30, and out of football for 4 years before the Saints job. I'd rather draft someone like Alvin Kamara personally.

There is nothing to say they will not draft someone. They need 90 on the roster. No harm in bringing him in for OTAs and maybe even training camp. Does not mean he is on the final 53.

6 hours ago, CTskin said:

Oo a pro-bowl player who can be had for a bargain price at a position we're terrible at... yea, that makes too much sense, we'll pass.

I know money talks but it's a possibility some of these players don't even want to come here. If I was a player who had different opportunities, the Skins would be one of the last teams I'd even care to visit. 

We're practically never in the playoffs, our future is ALWAYS uncertain and even when we do things right for a couple years, we somehow self sabatage ourself to make things hectic again.

If the team is now less willing to spend like in years past, our poole of choices just got that much smaller. 

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

There is nothing to say they will not draft someone. They need 90 on the roster. No harm in bringing him in for OTAs and maybe even training camp. Does not mean he is on the final 53.

I'd rather they bring in a starting quality NT like Hankins, or a starting quality ILB like Brown (or both) than a 30 year old RB that was out of the league for about 4 years.

1 minute ago, dyst said:

I know money talks but it's a possibility some of these players don't even want to come here. If I was a player who had different opportunities, the Skins would be one of the last teams I'd even care to visit. 

We're practically never in the playoffs, our future is ALWAYS uncertain and even when we do things right for a couple years, we somehow self sabatage ourself to make things hectic again.

If the team is now less willing to spend like in years past, our poole of choices just got that much smaller. 

look, people go to Cleveland and Jacksonville so let's drop the crap about people not coming here

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

I'd rather they bring in a starting quality NT like Hankins, or a starting quality ILB like Brown (or both) than a 30 year old RB that was out of the league for about 4 years.

backup RBs have nothing to do with starting defense

8 minutes ago, dyst said:

Albert Breer was asked about this today as was ex-agent Joey Corry in a different past interview. They both said the same thing, the large majority of FA signings are about the same thing -- which team offers the most money.  The rest of the drill doesn't concern most players.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. This is the offseason. They need RBs for the 90 man roster. Why not bring him in. It will not do anything to keep them from bringing the other guys in.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall he is also a good pass protector and leader. 

He was a crazy good pass protector and enthusiastic as hell. Awesome on the wheel route and he fought for extra inches and was a pleasure to watch.

:247:The Rook

46 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. This is the offseason. They need RBs for the 90 man roster. Why not bring him in. It will not do anything to keep them from bringing the other guys in.

Well, if we HAVE to get 90 guys, lets get a couple that fill a glaring need. Sure, I have not probelm with a kick the tires, vet min + insentives on Hightower. But it's such a "whatever" signing it's not even funny. Right now we have Kelly, Thompson, Brown and Jones. I don't see a need for another vet RB when we have the draft and UDFA to go. While, we have glaring issues on the front 7.

9 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Well, if we HAVE to get 90 guys, lets get a couple that fill a glaring need. Sure, I have not probelm with a kick the tires, vet min + insentives on Hightower. But it's such a "whatever" signing it's not even funny. Right now we have Kelly, Thompson, Brown and Jones. I don't see a need for another vet RB when we have the draft and UDFA to go. While, we have glaring issues on the front 7.

If they decide there is an UDFA thy want they can cut him loose. Why make a big deal about it. It's just one guy. There are plenty of other rosters spots during the offseason. Also, you have no idea what they are working on behind the scenes. Not to mention there is a draft coming up.

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

If they decide there is an UDFA thy want they can cut him loose. Why make a big deal about it. It's just one guy. There are plenty of other rosters spots during the offseason. Also, you have no idea what they are working on behind the scenes. Not to mention there is a draft coming up.

A couple reasons. First, he's an old guy that is not in a position of need. Second, we have several holes that could be filled with guys that are on the market. Third, the draft is where you build for the future, not reach for guys and this draft class doesn't have many NT's anyway.

But fine, sign your 30 year old RB that was out of football for 4 years. Because that helps.

Working on behind the scenes? Like what? NOT inviting a NT or ILB for a visit?

Oh, and here's the thing. I actually liked Hightower on his first go around.

10 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

A couple reasons. First, he's an old guy that is not in a position of need. Second, we have several holes that could be filled with guys that are on the market. Third, the draft is where you build for the future, not reach for guys and this draft class doesn't have many NT's anyway.

But fine, sign your 30 year old RB that was out of football for 4 years. Because that helps.

Working on behind the scenes? Like what? NOT inviting a NT or ILB for a visit?

Oh, and here's the thing. I actually liked Hightower on his first go around.

Sorry, but I believe this is a total over-reaction. You are acting like because they are kicking the tires on a RB - that's they have not actually even signed yet - that it stops all other efforts and takes up all the roster spots. Moving on from this non-issue.

20 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Sorry, but I believe this is a total over-reaction. You are acting like because they are kicking the tires on a RB - that's they have not actually even signed yet - that it stops all other efforts and takes up all the roster spots. Moving on from this non-issue.

You consider it a over reaction because we are kicking the tires on a 30 year old RB that was out of football for 4 years. And that is fine, and if you look at it in a vacuum.

I'm looking at it from the current trend of another non factor move that doesn't help us in any way, shape, or form. And it's maddening.

50 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

You consider it a over reaction because we are kicking the tires on a 30 year old RB that was out of football for 4 years. And that is fine, and if you look at it in a vacuum.

I'm looking at it from the current trend of another non factor move that doesn't help us in any way, shape, or form. And it's maddening.

hey, we're not the ones who brought him back to the NFL

49 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I said I was moving on but one more attempt here. Then I am done for sure.

First he played last year and helped the Saints. He had 133 carries for 548 yds for a 4.2 yd/carry. So what he did before that is immaterial. He clearly could add some value. And at the whole $760,000 he made last year he will barely impact the CAP. That's if they even sign him. But that's not even the point.

I get you are pissed about how free agency has gone. And I don't entirely disagree. But I am not going to be overly critical on every little move they make because I am not happy with some other moves. While they have bigger needs, it does not mean everything else has to come to a stop. I am pretty sure they have enough people to multitask. As I said from the very beginning they have nothing to do with each other.    

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

I said I was moving on but one more attempt here. Then I am done for sure.

First he played last year and helped the Saints. He had 133 carries for 548 yds for a 4.2 yd/carry. So what he did before that is immaterial. He clearly could add some value. And at the whole $760,000 he made last year he will barely impact the CAP. That's if they even sign him. But that's not even the point.

I get you are pissed about how free agency has gone. And I don't entirely disagree. But I am not going to be overly critical on every little move they make because I am not happy with some other moves. While they have bigger needs, it does not mean everything else has to come to a stop. I am pretty sure they have enough people to multitask. As I said from the very beginning they have nothing to do with each other.    

Listen, this really has nothing to do with Hightower, for me. It's about "Hey, the damn broke! We've got to get it fixed, and now, or everything is going to be under 17 feet of water!" And then Allen is like "But look, yams are on sale, buy one get the next one 33% off, let's go get some. I kinda like yams."

21 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Listen, this really has nothing to do with Hightower, for me. It's about "Hey, the damn broke! We've got to get it fixed, and now, or everything is going to be under 17 feet of water!" And then Allen is like "But look, yams are on sale, buy one get the next one 33% off, let's go get some. I kinda like yams."

To quote Mr. Bevis while getting a tour of the Hoover Dam.  

"Is this a God Dam?!?!"

4 hours ago, carex said:

look, people go to Cleveland and Jacksonville so let's drop the crap about people not coming here

The only time a player worth anything goes to "crappy" teams is when they get a huge contract. If money is even, they would be stupid not to go to the better team.  

Archived