Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

3 hours ago, moondog said:

Let's be honest, is there a single person here who wouldn't rather keep SM over Bruce Allen? And just when we were going in the right direction. 

Anybody not wish we were signing Hankins? Or at least had gotten Logan or Poe?

Two biggest eff ups this offseason to me are 1) Not resolving Kirk's situation and hearing this week that Bruce realistically thinks that next years tag is in play shows he is completely out of touch with reality about this and 2) Not using the money we used on those two D linemen Jags on one quality player like Logan was an epic screw up (never was interested in Poe, he's not good and I'd bet a nickel he's viewed as a bust bad signing next offseason) that never should have occurred. Quality over Quantity. We choose 2 guys who can't hold a candle to Logan and combined can't either provided all are healthy. Really stupid decisions on both parts and both show that Bruce is out of his league being in charge to me.

It really grinds the gears knowing that Scot had the foresight to want to sign Kirk two off seasons ago long term and we don't have that done yet or have Scot anymore but really discussing him and this situation is crying over spilt milk and what's done is done so I'm exhausted with this dead horse. All we can do is hope beyond hope that this Bruce/Jay draft ends up working out for us

3 hours ago, moondog said:

Let's be honest, is there a single person here who wouldn't rather keep SM over Bruce Allen? And just when we were going in the right direction. 

Anybody not wish we were signing Hankins? Or at least had gotten Logan or Poe?

I would have liked Logan, but unlike some I feel like we needed more than one guy.  And after last year Scot was on my last nerve. 

I know a lot of people are kind mad that Scott was fired.  But lets look at his record on FA within two years.  Other than Norman that fell in his lap and we paid HUGE money for, who exactly did he pick in FA that helped this team at a high level?  I understand we were shopping from a lower market "basket" but still for someone that most of you guys think walks on water when it comes to finding "talent", he didn't do anything to help us, especially on the D side.  

We need to move forward with what we need to do, not look back.

8 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I know a lot of people are kind mad that Scott was fired.  But lets look at his record on FA within two years.  Other than Norman that fell in his lap and we paid HUGE money for, who exactly did he pick in FA that helped this team at a high level?  I understand we were shopping from a lower market "basket" but still for someone that most of you guys think walks on water when it comes to finding "talent", he didn't do anything to help us, especially on the D side.  

Vernon Davis, Mason Foster, Ty Nsekhe, Rob Kelley, Quinton Dunbar.  All big contributors to back-to-back winning seasons.

But as McCloughan and other smart GMs have said again and again, it's not about FA.  It's about the draft.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Vernon Davis, Mason Foster, Ty Nsekhe, Rob Kelley, Quinton Dunbar.  All big contributors to back-to-back winning seasons.

But as McCloughan and other smart GMs have said again and again, it's not about FA.  It's about the draft.

I am talking about FA dude not unsigned people that we lucked out.  Dunbar was a receiver and we told him we will try you at CB or you gone.  Davis I will give you that  but then again he totally missed on Carrier IMO and we spend a draft pick.  Heck if Niles is healthy I don't think Carrier makes the team this year.

47 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Im not sure its fair to judge a guy who said he didnt think FA was important, on how well his FA moves panned out, especially considering how his draft moves panned out, and DID improve the team like he said they would.

30 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I am talking about FA dude not unsigned people that we lucked out.  Dunbar was a receiver and we told him we will try you at CB or you gone.  Davis I will give you that  but then again he totally missed on Carrier IMO and we spend a draft pick.  Heck if Niles is healthy I don't think Carrier makes the team this year.

You asked for free agents.  Everyone I listed was a free agent before we signed them. 

Go ahead and name all the free agents Allen and co. signed in 2014 that are major contributors for this team.

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

You asked for free agents.  Everyone I listed was a free agent before we signed them. 

Go ahead and name all the free agents Allen and co. signed in 2014 that are major contributors for this team.

I am not arguing that we are better off with Allen, where did I say that?  I am arguing the loss of Scott M is not the end of the world.  

1 minute ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I am not arguing that we are better off with Allen, where did I say that?  I am arguing the loss of Scott M is not the end of the world.  

You can't evaluate the situation in a vacuum.  You have to look at the alternative.  We are a lot better off with Scot M choosing the players on our roster than we are with Bruce Allen.  Now, if we were going from Scot McCloughan to John Schneider or Reggie McKenzie, that would be a different story.  But that is not the case. 

Scotts drafts:

2015:

The first 7 picks were pretty solid. A couple of really good players, a couple of solid players, some good depth and potential.

Brandon Scherff

Preston Smith

Matt Jones

Jamison Crowder

Arie Kouandjio

Martell Spaight

Kysheon Jarrett

2016 we really need another year to know, especially with Doctson. If Doctson isnt a bust then it is a solid draft.

Depending on how this next year goes of course these last two drafts are the best we have had in awhile.

6 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Scotts drafts:

2015:

The first 7 picks were pretty solid. A couple of really good players, a couple of solid players, some good depth and potential.

Brandon Scherff

Preston Smith

Matt Jones

Jamison Crowder

Arie Kouandjio

Martell Spaight

Kysheon Jarrett

2016 we really need another year to know, especially with Doctson. If Doctson isnt a bust then it is a solid draft.

Depending on how this next year goes of course these last two drafts are the best we have had in awhile.

you want to compare Allen's 2014 draft without a 1st round pick?

Trent Murphy

Morgan Moses

Spence Long

Bashaud Breeland

All starters also.  Ah I get it Allen used Scott's service and that is why he hit on all of these players. :)

1 minute ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Trent Murphy

Morgan Moses

Spence Long

Bashaud Breeland

All starters also.  Ah I get it Allen used Scott's service and that is why he hit on all of these players. :)

Trent is not a starter. But at least he is no longer looking like a complete bust.

Breeeland better get his **** together or he'll be cut.

8 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Scotts drafts:

2015:

Brandon Scherff

Preston Smith

Matt Jones

Jamison Crowder

Arie Kouandjio

Martell Spaight

Kysheon Jarrett

Sapight and Kouanndijo need to step up this year, Smith regressed but can come back.  Jones, though, I think Jones might not even make the team next year

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Trent is not a starter. But at least he is no longer looking like a complete bust.

Breeland hasn't even lost his starting job, so I think he's pretty far from the cut list.  I haven't heard that Preston Smith is a starter over Trent Murphy and Junior Galette has to make it through camp with an intact leg before you can give him the spot

4 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Trent Murphy

Morgan Moses

Spence Long

Bashaud Breeland

We dont know the impact of it, but it is a fact that Allen used Scott's service so it cant be completely dismissed.

9 minutes ago, carex said:

Sapight and Kouanndijo need to step up this year, Smith regressed but can come back.  Jones, though, I think Jones might not even make the team next year

Breeland hasn't even lost his starting job, so I think he's pretty far from the cut list.  I haven't heard that Preston Smith is a starter over Trent Murphy and Junior Galette has to make it through camp with an intact leg before you can give him the spot

Murphy was not a starter last year, was he? No.

Did I mention Galette? No.

Breeland was terrible last year, do you disagree with that?

11 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Trent Murphy

Morgan Moses

Spence Long

Bashaud Breeland

None of these guys are better than Scherff or Crowder.  Also, Murphy has never looked very good without the use of PEDs.  We'll see how he plays in his 12 games this season without them.  Long is a player I would love to see replaced, and Breeland has fallen off a cliff - I really doubt we give him a 2nd contract here unless it's far cheaper than Breeland actually thinks he is worth.

I think the only player we can legitimately expect to see given a 2nd contract with us from this group is Moses.  We can already expect Scherff and Crowder to receive 2nd contracts from us.  The jury is still out on Preston and the whole 2016 draft class.

3 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Murphy was not a starter last year, was he? No.

Did I mention Galette? No.

Breeland was terrible last year, do you disagree with that?

I disagree that Breeland was terrible last year

So its not fair to judge scots moves yet because its too soon, but its ok to sing his praises, say hes miles better than anything washington has, and that they will be terrible without him? 

I think fans are giving him too much credit because they fell in love with the idea of Scot and a "top GM". Scot still had plenty of failures even in SF and Seattle. I think he was very good but the fanbase overrated him from the start and now act like they lost their only chance to be good.

13 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

How do you think he played 

not as well as I hoped.  But considering he became a target by virtue of Norman's signing he was good enough that there's no need for him to be replaced

17 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Can people stop with the "nobody else wanted him" bull****. It's stupid. So, if 32 teams don't make an offer the guy sucks? 32 teams have holes at that position? What? What's the criteria for a FA to be of value? There was no bidding war between 32 teams for any player ever. 

There would be legitimate interest among a lot of teams if Brown was very good. Plain and simple. Doesn't mean hes bad and doesn't mean he couldn't start on certain teams, but he is definitely not viewed as a difference maker otherwise he wouldn't be waiting for a deal. Guys who will make real impact will find a buyer.

After awhile you have to stop elevating guys who arent even on a roster because while 32 teams may not need a starting MLB, there are many that could use him and most aren't dealing with him. Thats not for no reason. The Redskins are not the only team who needs a DT or MLB and not contacting Brown or Hankins.

Just now, Sekhmet187 said:

So its not fair to judge scots moves yet because its too soon, but its ok to sing his praises, say hes miles better than anything washington has, and that they will be terrible without him? 

I think fans are giving him too much credit because they fell in love with the idea of Scot and a "top GM". Scot still had plenty of failures even in SF and Seattle. I think he was very good but the fanbase overrated him from the start and now act like they lost their only chance to be good.

I heard that Poulan guy say on NFL network that if a GM hits .650 with his draft picks then he is doing a real good job. I could be a little off with the percentage please correct if someone else heard this. Do you guys think SM hit .650? I do think it is easier to hit on draft pics if you have a bad team. You will be picking higher and some players that make a bad team would not make a good team.

2 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Trent Murphy

Morgan Moses

Spence Long

Bashaud Breeland

This was better then 15 or 16 and done without a first round pick, this is why I give this years draft a chance. Otherwise I'd think we were completely screwed

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Who cares about starter/not starter when the guys near double digits in sacks?

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

None of these guys are better than Scherff or Crowder.  Also, Murphy has never looked very good without the use of PEDs.  We'll see how he plays in his 12 games this season without them.  Long is a player I would love to see replaced, and Breeland has fallen off a cliff - I really doubt we give him a 2nd contract here unless it's far cheaper than Breeland actually thinks he is worth.

I think the only player we can legitimately expect to see given a 2nd contract with us from this group is Moses.  We can already expect Scherff and Crowder to receive 2nd contracts from us.  The jury is still out on Preston and the whole 2016 draft class.

Scherff was selected with the fifth overall pick in the draft! If he's not better then some 2-3-4-5th round picks that's horrible and you don't judge the 5th overall pick against guys drafted much later then he was. Crowder is good and much better then the 4th round we picked him at but I wonder if we knew he was going to ball as a slot guy why we waited till the 4th to pick him and instead choose Matt Jones before him? Makes me wonder. Another thing that makes me wonder is this issue about PED's you bring up, do you know when Trent was using those? Because he led the nation in sacks in college so maybe he was using them then too? Do you know if he was? Last question do you know how he will do off them to say that he's not worth an extension today? Please share the wisdom you seem to be the only human being alive that knows this and I would love to know

1 hour ago, carex said:

I disagree that Breeland was terrible last year

You are not alone

1 hour ago, Sekhmet187 said:

Preach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived