Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do we get the run game going?

JoeKnowsBest

Not crazy about Jones ... but he has shown enough to warrant playing early on.  

I think Kelley or Marshall will stick and the other end up on PS.

Pierre will probably come in later.

Skins carry 4 backs with CT.

Waiting for next year when Skins grab either McCaffery, Fournette or Chubb.

Scoring points and moving the chains will not be biggest problem this year.

On 8/23/2016 at 10:46 AM, SkinsGuy said:

I don't think you should, because Morris seemed to be a poor fit here.

Besides, don't let a few carries in a preseason game make you suddenly decide he is the Morris of 2012 again. Anymore than two passes in the Browns/Falcons game should tell you that Robert Griffin is "back".

Anymore than the Redskins starting defense's strong showing so far in the preseason means they will be great.

It is just too small a sample right now.

It's preseason. We have to wait and see if any of this translates over to the regular season.

Well I was thinking more along the lines of:

*I always believe you don't let a player walk unless you have a replacement

*Morris is a bonafide character guy

*He has actually had NFL success in the past

*He's proven very durable

*It wouldn't have been such an obvious subtraction if he'd ended up outside our division, arrghhh

So based on those, I've lost a tad of faith in McC.  Still very grateful he's here though.  And having said all that, I think after closely watching the Rams spring their backs the other night, I think our problem is our line unfortunately. Their line generally pushes forward on running plays; I don't see much of that with us.

23 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

So, yeah... I mean, my goodness. I get the criticisms, I really do, but lay off of the dude a little bit, it's kind of getting out of hand in here.

Or not, continue as you wish. :ols:

He's a tough, hard nosed runner. Im sure the criticisms will bounce right off of him.... Or bring him down at the first hint of contact

22 hours ago, RedskinsInFebruary said:

Well I was thinking more along the lines of:

*I always believe you don't let a player walk unless you have a replacement

*Morris is a bonafide character guy

*He has actually had NFL success in the past

*He's proven very durable

*It wouldn't have been such an obvious subtraction if he'd ended up outside our division, arrghhh

So based on those, I've lost a tad of faith in McC.  Still very grateful he's here though.  And having said all that, I think after closely watching the Rams spring their backs the other night, I think our problem is our line unfortunately. Their line generally pushes forward on running plays; I don't see much of that with us.

I agree.  you know come to think of it there are some decisions that Scott M has made that will be in the spotlight in a few years and this is one of them starting this season.  Another is passing on Williams for Scherff and for me passing on Billings for a future 4th round pick when he was right there to get.  Already there are some that point out letting go of Amerson all though we all agree he truly sucked with us.  Anyway you cut it, I love having him as our GM.

On 8/23/2016 at 3:41 PM, thesubmittedone said:

So, yeah... I mean, my goodness. I get the criticisms, I really do, but lay off of the dude a little bit, it's kind of getting out of hand in here.

Or not, continue as you wish. :ols:

I heard the word dude & I became unglued.
Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch
And put my hands around his neck, and I squeezed...

Don't call me dude!

Suppose we've warned, eh?   :rofl89:

After years and years of being a run first, run second, and maybe even run third team, because, besides one brief and glorious moment called 2012, we didn't have an OL that could pass block and we didn't have a QB for which pass-blocking would even matter, we now are apoplectic that we can't run?  Why???  It's not like we didn't throw for more than 4,000 yards last year -- and we actually scored points -- despite the run game falling off the cliff.  So what?  Our final 10 games we went 7-3 and that with a D ranked 28th in yards allowed.  Maybe we fans cling to the run because:  1) it was what we excelled at during the glory years; and 2) it was the only thing we've had for most of the last 15 or so.

33 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Maybe we fans cling to the run because:  1) it was what we excelled at during the glory years; and 2) it was the only thing we've had for most of the last 15 or so.

I'm not sure we're clinging to the run, as much as we would just like to have some semblance of a running game.  I realize its a passing league and don't need a 1,500 yard back to feel good about the offense.  At the same time, you still have to be able to run the ball, particularly late in the year. 

Being a strong passing team is more important than a strong run IMHO. Sure, you want both strong but.... a strong passing team will have an advantage down a few scores, and at the end of every half. A strong running team simply cannot score quickly. 

How to get the run game going, pass pass run. Pass when the D expects us to run and vice versa. It was enough to get us into the playoffs last year. 

Or, get a new center. Duh. 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Both Kelley and Mack looked pretty good. The coaches clearly stated their order. Was surprised they didn't mix the two, but each got their half. Kelley seems like the one cut wiggle guy and Mack more of a power runner.

I agree. If we can get last nights performance in every game we are going to win A LOT of them. This is a passing offense and passing league now. The rules are so slanted to the passing game that all you really need to do is keep the defense honest with the run. I actually liked Brown's running ability better than Kelly's. But Kelly's pass protection is outstanding.

I agree that Kelly's pass blocking alone has to get him on the 53.  I can see Jones keeping the #1 spot if he can stay healthy, but Kelly is going to be right there if he doesn't.  I don't see us giving up on the run, but I don't see it being a priority anymore, not when the majority of our strength is in the passing game.  I just can't tell if Kelly is just another guy that just happens to be great in passblocking and staying healthy compared to other running backs on the roster.

Our backs showed some life, but then Marshall appeared to get injured. Problems likely remain. Of course, running is not a priority to me as long as Cousins is clean and throwing for 3-4 TD's. 

I remember long ago one game when Belly opened the half or game with something like 15 straight passes. The defense was gassed helpless and gouged; almost begging for a mercy run. Belly didn't concede to the norm of some runs just for the sake of running.  They won. 

Compared to other teams that i have watched so far during preseason Washingtons OL gets no push what so ever..Seems like everytime they run the ball the defense is always in the backfield and Olinemen are laying on the ground..Personally i don't think Callahan has improved the OL at all with his coaching..

2 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Personally i don't think Callahan has improved the OL at all with his coaching..

Guess Moses and Scherff just developed on their own. Especially Moses who everyone here thought was a bust and a lost cause after his injury.

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Guess Moses and Scherff just developed on their own. Especially Moses who everyone here thought was a bust and a lost cause after his injury.

Moses has looked like crap so far this preseason

Archived