Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do we get the run game going?

JoeKnowsBest

7 hours ago, Destino said:

I don't understand the love or hate for Jones.  Seems perfectly unremarkable.  One of those guys you like but not enough to draft for your fantasy team. 

Agree with you on Doctson.  We haven't even seen him yet, and somehow people are certain he'll be this or that.  

I think this is what the haters are losing it about. I on the other hand think its a blessing that we have enough depth at the position that we dont really need the guy this year. There is no shame in learning your job for a year.

As far as the running backs go. I would still prefer Browns running ability over Kelly's. After last night you have to believe it's a lock that we keep 4 RB's now. And Brown played on teams last night as well. Who ends up the odd man out? Paulson would be my guess.

17 minutes ago, campfodder said:

I think he's on full season IR & Carrier went to 6 weekPUP on the same day.

I don't think Kelley or Brown are better than CT IMO.  I feel this is his Poor Man's Sproles break out year.  Lot's of TD passes this year in his future I see lol

Aye, they may not be as fast, but I can't get over our three running backs we hoped would be top of the depth chart all out due to injury before the end of the third preseason game.  If CT was returning kicks, that'd be one thing, but I'm not even sure if jones is going to be the guy.  I'm not sold our future star running back or even poor man's Sproles is even on the roster right now, jus need to sure they can play and won't hurt us until we get there, imo.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I'd cut CT and Marshal to make from for Kelly and Brown.  Tape don't lie, and their on the field (which is half the battle).

I think this is shortsighted.

Kelly and Brown have crushed it but largely against guys that won't be playing in the league come next week.

Furthermore, Marshall has enough upside that you don't cut him. You put him on the practice squad. Why cut him anyways when he's on IR?

Loved how the RBs looked last night. Even though Mack displayed some sick moves (particularly on that long TD run), I thought Kelley was the more consistent back. Like Alf, wasn't flashy but very physical and would fall forward after contact. In looking at Kelley's stats through preseason, he seems like he's done it game in and game out. My only concern is how he would do vs. starting caliber DEF.

Of note, I believe the dominant run game we saw in the first half vs TB had LeReibus (gasp) at center. Again, fully understand that he was blocking backup D-linemen but they created huge holes inside for both RBs to run through. I still don't like the guy but maybe he's getting in a groove?

Is there such a thing as "riding the hot hand" for backs in football?  Non Barry backs do nothing without blocking

Of course our 2 hot hands last night were from a different OL than what game 1 will be. But I think there is something to be said about confidence in ones self, and confidence in others. The starting OL and Cousins all took note of our 2 shiny new backs, and may quietly be excited to see what they can do with them all on the field together. We have all seen it, a QB change, a different RB, and suddenly the team looks drastically different, all while running the same plays.

My point is, I don't have one, but think Kelley and Brown get the nod from impulsive fans to get the lions share of carries for game 1. I am not convinced Jones will play, nor should play. I don't give a rats ass that the teams twitter account thinks he is progressing nicely.  A back starting the season with a shoulder injury.... nice may not cut it. Nuff said.

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

And while it's understandable if you sincerely believe a player isn't good or not worthy of being on the team; so long as he is I think it's important not to criticize them so routinely they become a target of insults. I mean, we're rooting for their success in the end, right? How does that make sense?  

This was my point right here lol...all the players (save for maybe Morris to a less intense degree, as you said above) were criticized so routinely and became the target of insults...becoming almost a damn sport in and of itself to fans.

With Campbell, before the 2009 season I started a thread saying since Campbell will definitely be the starting QB once again, let's look at the positives from 2008 (or words basically to that effect). My whole goal was just what you said above: since he is on the team and we want the team to win, we're rooting for his success in the end, right?

Wrong lol...hoo, boy, was that a ****storm of insults hurled and chock full of "apologist" and "lover" labels. It was like we were just not allowed to do that...there was a "Bash Campbell" orgy going on and you were supposed to either take off your clothes and join in or GTFO. And it happens over and over and over again...

1 hour ago, Aireskoi said:

I hear ya, it seems to push too far the other way sometimes though.  To the point where honest concern and criticism becomes labeled as blind hate.

I agree with you about the rush to judgement sometimes, but I don't see the real harm.

No real harm, just irritating as hell lol :ols:...

And I agree with it going in the opposite direction and lumping legit criticisms into "hater" category.

Such is life on ES lol...

I remember in 2012 Alfred Morris in the pre season just looked like the best RB. Well now I think our best RB is Kelley, or possibly Brown. I'm a Jones fan but even with his natural talent/athleticism he's not as polished a runner as Kelley and doesn't have Brown's shake and bake.

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

I think this is shortsighted.

Kelly and Brown have crushed it but largely against guys that won't be playing in the league come next week.

Furthermore, Marshall has enough upside that you don't cut him. You put him on the practice squad. Why cut him anyways when he's on IR?

I've already been corrected on Marshall being on IR.  Running backs this day in age have a short-shelf life and really easy to get an above average one without reaching in the first round.  You're thinking more about their running style and production, I'm thinking more about their pass-blocking (which they are both better then CT and Marshall) and their ability to stay healthy.  Again, if CT was running back kicks, that's be one thing, but he's not, he's basically the third down back.  We also have no idea if Jones is going to stay healthy either, so cutting Kelly or Brown, they could get scooped up, and that option would then be gone.

Jones is back at practice today, wearing a yellow "no contact" jersey. He seems to be progressing in his injury rehab. I still think the guy has loads of potential, he certainly has the physical tools. 

No need to rush Jones back though, I'm excited to see what Kelley can do too. 

Archived