Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do we get the run game going?

JoeKnowsBest

Just now, justice98 said:

Is Jones a north-south runner and not afraid of contact?  That's all he said.

That's not all the poster said, but let's pretend he did.

Is Matt Jones a north south runner? No, not really. He bounces it pretty often and misses his cuts inside. He gets tackled in the backfield pretty often. He's certainly not going to move a pile for you, because he doesn't get high knees constantly moving and he runs high in his pads.

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Is Matt Jones a north south runner? No, not really. He bounces it pretty often and misses his cuts inside. He gets tackled in the backfield pretty often. He's certainly not going to move a pile for you, because he doesn't get high knees constantly moving and he runs high in his pads.

but besides that...

I've been complaining all off season about the running back situation and saying that the team mismanaged this position this year worse then any other aspect of this team. There is much to be worried here about with Matt Jones that isn't related to the play calling or the offensive line

1. He is injury prone. He missed games last year and will likely miss games this year and is out now with another injury

2. He wasn't good last season and definitely not good enough to be handed the unquestioned job like he was. 3.4 yards per carry is absolutely terrible and extremely bad. To put that into perspective there were 33 running backs last year with more carries then Matt Jones had last year (Jones had 144 carries last season). Of those 33 other RBs none of them had as low of an average per carry then Jones. To put it another way, there were 47 men who had at least 100 carries on the season last year including Matt Jones and three QBs. Of all 47 men who carried the football more then 100 times last season Matt Jones was dead last in lowest per carry average. One of the men who had a better average and had over 100 attempts - Alfred Morris with his 3.7 yard average with the same line. Matt Jones was dead last

Matt Jones, I like the kid but this is not the resume of someone that normal teams would give 300 carries too because he doesn't deserve it and has done nothing to show he can even be effective in this league or in this offense. We all assumed he was ready to assume that type of role but that belief is based on nothing he did last season and only on hope. When a team makes an emotional decision they regret it usually (Remember that awful trade they did when Portis got hurt in preseason?)

We even had a chance to add some quality to this group for cheap money recently without using draft picks - Arian Foster, Karlos Williams, Chris Ivory, Matt Forte - and decided not to. We could have used draft picks to help this group and minus a lottery ticket seventh round pick we didn't do that either. Why they have been so convinced that we didn't need bodies is beyond my level of understanding.

Which leads me to believe that this is a passing team on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down now. Our best RB for that type of offense would be Chris Thompson and not Matt Jones as the RB1. I know its weird to say but I don't think that this team is emphasizing the rush as much as we are used to and we all just need to accept that.

I have no faith in the running game now and absent some new talent it is what it is.  I don't believe that is a killer for this team this year since there is so much talent at the WR and TE positions now. Playing to our strengths isn't a bad thing to do when it gives us the best chance for success and clearly our strength is the passing game.

Don't get me wrong we will rush the ball but I can see a 70-75% split with the passing favored over rushing in this offense. As long as we can continue to protect Cousins that's not a bad thing except when we need 1 yard for a TD and have no choice but to throw for it

As for Pass Rush ratio the last time we saw them play in a meaningful game we threw the ball 74.29% of the time the offense had the ball. On the season last year we were a 60-40% passing to rushing play calling team. If the running game is as ineffective as I think it will be we may just throw all the time no matter the situation. Even if its predictable with the receivers and TEs we have it will be hard as hell for any team to stop

51 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's what Scot M said though.  I guess people putting faith in a dude that cant even evaluate Matt Jones correctly.

I'm not very optimistic about our run game this year. I think our run blocking is questionable. I'm not sure if we have the optimum blocking personnel for what jay wants to do in the run game.

Matt Jones certainly has some talent, and he has the potential to turn the corner, but last year's performance leaves a lot to be desired. Couple that with injury concerns and propensity to fumble and he is in no way a given at the position. I could see a different person as our rb1 before long.

Thompson is effective in the right scenarios, but he won't be able to carry very often. 

The rest of the running backs are unknowns. 

So many questions at the rb position and little upside imo. I expect we'll struggle to get the precious 1 or 2 yards that other teams seem to routinely get. This will force a lot of pressure on the passing game and i expect this struggle to be pronounced against better competition.

My God, you guys are sometimes insufferable. One second, with another player, it's "well, let the kid grow"... the next player it's "write him off, he sucks, this is what he is and always will be". Even when the team, who sees him in practice everyday, is saying otherwise. How do you guys choose your targets? I'm trying to figure out the pattern. :ols:

The dude just came out this past Friday and clearly showed two of the things he needed to improve upon that we've been hearing about all offseason, vision and pad level. Another issue was fumbling, and thus far during the preseason I'm going to say he's shown well. People are going to harp on the handoff gaffe but most QBs will say that's their problem just as much as the RBs and he hasn't worked as much with Colt McCoy, so it's not a good look but understandable, and I think anyone focusing on it is showing a biased agenda.

The final issue is/was his durability. And that's a major concern. I think that's the only thing right now people have the right to focus on and question consistently before seeing more from him. 

But this North-South thing? I mean, the guy has had limited snaps and he's clearly shown a difference here. The first game was tough to judge because he barely got the ball and the Oline blocking was so off, but the second game we saw a lot more. It comes across as completely biased from anyone just ignoring what he did last game and continuing to talk about him like he's the same guy as last season. 

Want proof?

North and South run #1: 

RapidGiddyKiskadee-size_restricted.gif

North South #2: 

RemoteDeadlyCormorant-size_restricted.gi

^^ This one in particular is one of my favorites because he did something he rarely did last year; stick between the tackles even though there wasn't a big hole and lower his head to get whatever was there as he fell forward. Not something you notice since it was for a minimal gain, but good.  

North South #3 :

WellgroomedCapitalGerenuk-size_restricte

^^ That was a bad video capture that started late, but his cut there was sick. Good vision, north and south real quick.  

North South #4:

North South #5: 

EntireThreadbareKitty-size_restricted.gi

North South #6: 

CreativeBitterGhostshrimp-size_restricte

^^ That's the play he got hurt on, he did good here though by bouncing outside, there was absolutely nothing inside and he didn't continue to stretch the run to the sidelines behind the LOS like he would in the past, he tried to go forward as quickly as he could once he got outside the tackle, but a free Linebacker (#50) coming at him forced him to adjust his angle and continue outside. You could argue he could've just went right at the LBer there by staying inside of Niles Paul and maybe got more yards, but it could've ended up in him getting blown up as the angle wasn't very favorable for him.

So, yeah... I mean, my goodness. I get the criticisms, I really do, but lay off of the dude a little bit, it's kind of getting out of hand in here.

Or not, continue as you wish. :ols:

10 hours ago, Airyx said:

Stephen Davis...was a guy who played FB ahead of Skip Hicks, and was really only known for getting punched by Michael Westbrook.

Then, Hicks got hurt during the 98 season, Davis got a chance to show what he could do, and in 99 Davis because THE man.

The point is, at the beginning of the 99 season, the 'skins did not have a proven RB...just like now. Hopefully, like 99, Jones will be THE guy.

The Morris story is the same. Our starter was supposed to be Tim Hightower, not the 6th round pick.

The Morris story is the same as the Stephen Davis story?...Good lord, I hope not lol...

We ended up letting Davis go because he "didn't fit the scheme" and only had like 800 yards the previous season...only to see him get over 1,400 yards again and play in the Super Bowl with his new team, the Panthers. Meanwhile, we trotted out Trung stinkin' Cadidate, Rock Cartwright and Ladell Betts.

BAD EXAMPLE, AMIGO!!...BAD!! lol...

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

The Morris story is the same as the Stephen Davis story?...Good lord, I hope not lol...

We ended up letting Davis go because he "didn't fit the scheme" and only had like 800 yards the previous season...only to see him get over 1,400 yards again and play in the Super Bowl with his new team, the Panthers. Meanwhile, we trotted out Trung stinkin' Cadidate, Rock Cartwright and Ladell Betts.

The disrespect. 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Davis had a knack for getting his yds in the first half of the season and then being no help. That season was no different. Through week 9 (included the bye), he played all 8 gms and had 990 yds including 6 100 yds gms (123.75 yds/gm). Great! Right! The last half he missed 2 gms and only had one 100 yd gm while gaining a total of 452 yds (75.33 yds/gm). Then in the POs he started out with his only 1 100 yds gm - against dallast (good!) He had a 64 yd run the next gm. He had a whole 22 yds on 5 more carries that gm! Even with that run he had a whopping 211 yds in 3 gms!  He was not much help to them.

His only complete season was 2001 where he finished strong. Outside of that he was fools gold the whole time. Sorry, but I was glad he was let go. Drove me nuts. Started every yr great only to miss games and not get yds coming down the stretch. Also, he could never get you a 1st dn in the 4th Q when you needed it. He and Edgerrin James must have been brothers! Good only when it didn't really matter that much. I guess at least Davis did not fumble like James did.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Davis had a knack for getting his yds in the first half of the season and then being no help. That season was no different. Through week 9 (included the bye), he played all 8 gms and had 990 yds including 6 100 yds gms (123.75 yds/gm). Great! Right! The last half he missed 2 gms and only had one 100 yd gm while gaining a total of 452 yds (75.33 yds/gm). Then in the POs he started out with his only 1 100 yds gm - against dallast (good!) He had a 64 yd run the next gm. He had a whole 22 yds on 5 more carries that gm! Even with that run he had a whopping 211 yds in 3 gms!  He was not much help to them.

His only complete season was 2001 where he finished strong. Outside of that he was fools gold the whole time. Sorry, but I was glad he was let go. Drove me nuts. Started every yr great only to miss games and not get yds coming down the stretch. Also, he could never get you a 1st dn in the 4th Q when you needed it. He and Edgerrin James must have been brothers! Good only when it didn't really matter that much. I guess at least Davis did not fumble like James did.

So you'd be OK with Morris getting over 1,400 yards again for the Cowboys and seeing Dallas in the Super Bowl while we trot out a trio of RBs who resemble the 2003 versions of Trung Canidate and Rock Cartwright?...Because that was my point lol...that's why I said it was a bad example.

Not the point at all. Davis's contribution to that team and overall has been exaggerated. They made it without much help from him after the first half of the season. Similarly if dallast makes it the SB it will not be because of AM. I do wish AM well. But dallast is not making the SB. They will not even win this div.

17 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not the point at all. Davis's contribution to that team and overall has been exaggerated. They made it without much help from him after the first half of the season. Similarly if dallast makes it the SB it will not be because of AM. I do wish AM well. But dallast is not making the SB. They will not even win this div.

It was MY point...the point you responded to lol.

And it could be said that the Panthers had something TO play for precisely because of Davis' performance and production in the first half of the season.

And ,sorry...if any team has any success whatsoever and also has a runningback who gets over 1400 yards and 8 TDs, they played a noticeable role in that success. I'm baffled that anyone would say otherwise. Give the 2015 Skins a runningback getting close to 1500 yards and 8 TDs and they could have had a first round bye at the very least.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

What?

Having a disdain for davis' propensity to fall off is one thing but knocking a rbs contribution of over 1400 yards in 14 games of the regular season and a 4.9 ypc in the playoffs is a bit ridiculous.

If almo nears that he'd be an integral piece of a more than likely playoff run for the cowboys. I don't want that.

If you told me I'd get that kind of production from Jones this year, I'd sign up regardless of a falloff toward the end of the season.

Of all the names floating out there, I'm still leaning towards Pierre Thomas coming back.  He knows the offense.  He's reliable not turning the ball over.  He can run inside or outside.  He has good hands to catch passes out of the backfield.  I don't see that with the other backs mentioned. Thomas would be my first choice.

34 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Of all the names floating out there, I'm still leaning towards Pierre Thomas coming back.  He knows the offense.  He's reliable not turning the ball over.  He can run inside or outside.  He has good hands to catch passes out of the backfield.  I don't see that with the other backs mentioned. Thomas would be my first choice.

I've heard Ronnie Hillman as another possibility because he's not projected to make the Broncos 53.  

People really need to chill about our running game.  Its not like we had a great running game last year and we won the division. Our running game will be as good as our OL's ability to block well.  I have not issue with Thompson opening with the Steelers if Jones can't go and both Kelly and Marshall can be serviceable.  Remember they are both rookies, they are still learning.  Its just been a couple of preseason games guys, lets see how it goes against Buffalo this Friday with Trend in there.

Archived