Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do we get the run game going?

JoeKnowsBest

Man I don't think I've ever rooted for two players to play well this season more than I am right now with both Doctson and Jones. 

People have just been insufferable about those two so it's like I want them to learn a lesson so badly. :ols: 

Is it bad that I'm rooting hard for them and a significant part of that is because it'll shut some of you up? It's almost reached 2014 offseason, early-2015 Kirk Cousins/Jay Gruden levels with me at this point. :ols: 

20 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Man I don't think I've ever rooted for two players to play well this season more than I am right now with both Doctson and Jones. 

People have just been insufferable about those two so it's like I want them to learn a lesson so badly. :ols: 

Is it bad that I'm rooting hard for them and a significant part of that is because it'll shut some of you up? It's almost reached 2014 offseason, early-2015 Kirk Cousins/Jay Gruden levels with me at this point. :ols: 

"Insufferable" is the word you use.

"Pathetic" is the one I would use.

I haven't seen treatment of players like this since last offseason and the early regular season when they were folks here actually cheering and hoping Cousins would fail. :rolleyes:

Thankfully, Cousins proved them wrong. Hopefully, Jones and Docston will too.

3 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

I'll outlast you

6 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

I don't understand the love or hate for Jones.  Seems perfectly unremarkable.  One of those guys you like but not enough to draft for your fantasy team. 

Agree with you on Doctson.  We haven't even seen him yet, and somehow people are certain he'll be this or that.  

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

I don't understand the love or hate for Jones.  Seems perfectly unremarkable.   

That's fair, but he's got some size and speed that's pretty ideal. I mean, there's a reason the team is putting a lot of eggs in his basket... if he can fix his issues, he's got a lot of natural talent that can take him pretty far. 

So, for me, it's just about being patient with a young draft pick that needed some seasoning as he didn't get that many carries in college, you know? Not necessarily love or anything. Just patience. 

And now I just want to see those who won't shut up about him eat crow, lol. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'll outlast you

I don't doubt that for one second. :ols: 

The preseason makes it so tough sometimes. You see Kelley and Brown and you think... there's our run game! Is it a mirage? Is it the players they are surging against? Who knows?

It was kind of cool to see Kelley do well last week against Buffalo's 2's and a bit against their 1's. That makes you think he might be a little real. It's certainly fun to see both do well and Brown's 60 yard romp was beautiful. I don't think he's really that fast, is he?

The thing about Jones is that he is an unknown too. Very limited college production. A decent amount of rookie NFL production with mixed results that are tilted towards poor. Then again, no Redskins' runner did well last year.

That means that all our backs are unknowns really. I suspect the group will be Jones, Thompson, and Kelley come game 1, but there's the silly preseason believer that would almost like to see Kelley, Brown, and Thompson with Jones on PUP for a few weeks.

RKelley and MBrown looked really good last night.  With final cuts coming, coaches will have a tough decision to make.  If they keep both, who else goes?  My guess, Logan Paulson has probably played his last game as a Redskin which would leave Reed, Paul and Davis with Carrier coming back in 6 was.  Keeping 3 instead of 4 TEs creates the roster spot if that's what they choose.  However, difficult to know if RKelley and MB look the same in regular season or are they preseason Hall of Famers!

I always find it telling seeing a vet out there late in preseason games, as we did with Paulson last night. Is that Paulson or a guy sharing his number - oh wait its him.

That said, I think we have to keep both Kelly and Brown.  Too bad we cannot keep all the backup linemen too, who seem to do better in run blocking than our starters. 

I am happy to start Kelly week one and Brown come in as a change of pace. Let our fragile backs heal more. Passing downs, go 5 wide if we don't have a healthy hands back.

13 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Is it bad that I'm rooting hard for them and a significant part of that is because it'll shut some of you up?

6 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

I mean, there's a reason the team is putting a lot of eggs in his basket... if he can fix his issues, he's got a lot of natural talent that can take him pretty far. 

... Not necessarily love or anything. Just patience. 

And now I just want to see those who won't shut up about him eat crow, lol.

I basically felt similar things about Ryan Grant.

And Morris. And Griffin.

And Hankerson.

And Riley.

And Campbell.

And a whole list of young Skins players who, through "fan speak", were constantly berated as complete pieces of ****, where every mistake--no matter how small of if it even was their mistake--was a cue to start ranting about how much the player is a worthless piece of garbage. It wasn't about "loving" the player ("Campbell lover", "Griffin fanboy", etc, etc), it was more about hating the insufferable hyperbole some fans tossed around so easily about players, coupled with flawed logic and incorrect facts. Those last two will definitely get a response out of me, no matter who the subject is or what it's about lol...all of these types of players have enough very real flaws to discuss without inventing imaginary ones and insisting everyone accept them as fact.

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I basically felt similar things about Ryan Grant.

And Morris. And Griffin.

And Hankerson.

And Riley.

And Campbell.

And a whole list of young Skins players who, through "fan speak", were constantly berated as complete pieces of ****, where every mistake--no matter how small of if it even was their mistake--was a cue to start ranting about how much the player is a worthless piece of garbage. It wasn't about "loving" the player ("Campbell lover", "Griffin fanboy", etc, etc), it was more about hating the insufferable hyperbole some fans tossed around so easily about players, coupled with flawed logic and incorrect facts. Those last two will definitely get a response out of me, no matter who the subject is or what it's about lol...all of these types of players have enough very real flaws to discuss without inventing imaginary ones and insisting everyone accept them as fact.

Hey don't throw Ryan Grant in with that mix.  It's not that I love him, I just don't want people to start discussing his imaginary flaws.  I want him to succeed, but with all the insufferable haters typing away on their keyboards I fear he won't make it if they turn his way.

5 minutes ago, Aireskoi said:

Hey don't throw Ryan Grant in with that mix.  It's not that I love him, I just don't want people to start discussing his imaginary flaws.  I want him to succeed, but with all the insufferable haters typing away on their keyboards I fear he won't make it if they turn his way.

Well, my list wasn't of players undeserving of criticism, it was a list of players who I felt got undeserved fan vitriol hurled at them far too often and too quickly. In the last preseason game the "Ryan Grant sucks, why is he still on the roster!" comments flew out after the first drop (the fact that more fan-favorite players like Garcon and Reed were also dropping passes left and right didn't matter lol)...

My best case scenario we've kept Keith Marshall and he'll get a full year to train turn his body into a NFL one for a final shot at camp '17

Can Redd Jr come back to camp '17?

Brown or Kelley I'm fine with either but I could see it going either way

9 minutes ago, Aireskoi said:

I really want Ryan Grant to compete for #2 WR spot next year once Garçon moves on.  I really believe in him hopefully he can get to 40 catches this year

9 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Well, my list wasn't of players undeserving of criticism, it was a list of players who I felt got undeserved fan vitriol hurled at them far too often and too quickly. In the last preseason game the "Ryan Grant sucks, why is he still on the roster!" comments flew out after the first drop (the fact that more fan-favorite players like Garcon and Reed were also dropping passes left and right didn't matter lol)...

I hear ya, it seems to push too far the other way sometimes though.  To the point where honest concern and criticism becomes labeled as blind hate.

I agree with you about the rush to judgement sometimes, but I don't see the real harm.

@Califan007Agreed for the most part, ES always seems to find a target and go way overboard. 

However, I'm not sure I agree that Morris was ever a target here, it was more the opposite where you couldn't say anything was wrong with him before getting pummeled with posts.

As for Griffin? There were extremes on both ends, but one was way worse than the other, lol. Like, not even close. And Cousins/Gruden were then targeted like crazy by that group, it was a different dynamic for sure. Let's not go down that road again, though. 

For me, I get more pissed about young guys who are still developing and haven't shown anything but a solid work ethic, being coachable, etc... (basically, they haven't invited criticism other than their perceived poor play) and they still get targeted like crazy or just simply written off.

It's not like there's a ton of tape and/or consecutive years worth of evaluation on these guys and, yet, they get talked about with such finality in judgment that it really just comes across like that person is extremely full of his/herself. Furthermore, if they do suck and remain on the team, how is that their fault? Shouldn't the frustration be directed more towards the decision makers then? 

David Amerson, for instance, was a legit target because he wasn't trying here and got in trouble for it as well. Plus, he had a lot of tape showing that to be true. Those are the only type of guys I think deserve our angst. 

And while it's understandable if you sincerely believe a player isn't good or not worthy of being on the team; so long as he is I think it's important not to criticize them so routinely they become a target of insults. I mean, we're rooting for their success in the end, right? How does that make sense?  

But that's just me. I get there are different ways of looking at this as well as the reality of differing personalities that can lend to that attitude.  :) 

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Is that the full season IR?  Saw that come in, but wasn't sure if it was other day.  Still cut CT.

I think he's on full season IR & Carrier went to 6 weekPUP on the same day.

I don't think Kelley or Brown are better than CT IMO.  I feel this is his Poor Man's Sproles break out year.  Lot's of TD passes this year in his future I see lol

Archived