Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBSsports.com: Redskins can bluff all they want, but Kirk Cousins holds all the cards

TK

I had to note the org chose the option thought least likely and least wise by almost all ES experts.

Life's tough in the mean streets.

If KC1 and his agent really want to see what the league thinks of him, this is the perfect way to do it and the 'Skins can either agree or disagree.

Nick

Yes, a team would have to outbid us AND cough up two firsts. 

Cousins isn't going anywhere. This is a nice way to see if anyone would actually bite and how much they'd give. Maybe even help in the negotiations by giving Cousins' camp a dose of reality (though that'd be mitigated by the fact that any team would be giving up two firsts and, therefore, it doesn't mean much if they don't offer much).

July 15th it is. I still put it at about 95% a long term deal will get done. Cousins shouldn't pass up about 15-20 million more dollars in guarantees by taking the chance on a one year tag, and the team would benefit much more with signing him now before he continues to show that he's a good-to-great QB (the more likely scenario), driving the price up.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640089/article/franchise-tag-tracker-which-players-will-get-tagged

Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins quarterback: The Redskins are set to use their non-exclusive franchise tag on Cousins, Rapoport reported, per source informed of their thinking. The tag is worth $19.953 million.

The article is premature perhaps, but it looks like they're going with the non-exclusive tag. Apologies if this was already posted.

Win win if you ask me.  Another team offers him a contract that Scot likes, he matches, done deal.  Another team overpays him, he gets shipped off, we get 2 first rounders.  

Nobody bites, he gets signed for almost $20mil for next year or potentially locked up long term.  If nobody bites, we most likely get him long term at a cheaper rate, unless him and his agent have confidence that he will play at the level he did last season or continue to get better and refuse said contract.

Win win if you ask me.  Another team offers him a contract that Scot likes, he matches, done deal.  Another team overpays him, he gets shipped off, we get 2 first rounders. 

That is the way a good front office works. :)

So how much does a non-exclusive tag cost the team if he signs for one year?

Same as exclusive tag? (ie, roughly $20M for 2016)

It will cost $19.953 million.

I would've preferred the transition tag, as I think the free agent market where he is the best player would've made this whole process easier for us, and we could just match the best offer he accepted. I'm fairly certain any deal he would've been offered would be reasonable. Every team in the league sees the same short resume and don't want to commit big long-term money to a still unproven player. 

But this is still a good outcome. We get to see if he's the real deal or not. If he shows us the same level of play, or hopefully, builds off this season and plays even better. I fully expect Scot to get him signed to a long-term deal before the 2016 season ends if he proves 2015 wasn't a fluke. 

But wait, there's more...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640458/article/washington-redskins-to-franchise-tag-kirk-cousins

Rapoport said on NFL Network that Cousins plans to sign the franchise tender -- not always a given in these types of negotiations -- and plans to take part in the team's entire offseason program.

Good move for the team and for Captain Kirk.

This is genius. If a team outbids and forks over two firsts, good for them and great for us. We have a competent GM running the show right now, two firsts would be a nice little present for us to receive.

Chances are, though, that isn't happening. So, with cap space, we'll get a one year "see if what he did last season was a habit and not lightning in a bottle". It'll also give us an accurate rating of how much he's actually worth.

I love this front office.

We aren't getting two 1sts. No team will likely even approach Cousins because they know they'd have to fork over a lot and we're likely to match anything reasonable anyway. All this does is lock him to us for a year at the very least. In all likelihood a long term deal gets done by July 15 but probably not till that very date. Last year 4/5 Franchise Tagged players signed long term deals on July 15 and the only one that didn't was Jason Pierre-Paul whom the Giants weren't going to pay after he blew his hand off.

Man front office just got screwed with that stupid Bradford signing. I was optimistic that we would get a deal done by 7/15 but not now. If Bradford is worth 18mil a year, cousins is worth at least 20 and it seems the 19 for the franchise tag is a bargain at the current market.

That is the way a good front office works. :)

KC was great trade bait and/or our potential starter before the season even began last year. Signing him THEN would have been even smarter.

#MondayMorningGM It's easy once you know the future B)

Man front office just got screwed with that stupid Bradford signing. I was optimistic that we would get a deal done by 7/15 but not now. If Bradford is worth 18mil a year, cousins is worth at least 20 and it seems the 19 for the franchise tag is a bargain at the current market.

Just a two year deal though....they basically tagged him. Hard time seeing that as setting the market. Yeah would have been better for FO if it was 15/16, but that would mean longer deal or Bradford would've forced the tag , tested market in QB desert

I agree.  I like Kirk Cousins but I love my Redskins.  Would have been nice to see Kirk locked up with something like a 4 year $40 million guaranteed contract with some incentives and average salary getting him around $17m to $18M per year. Now, $18m is the new basement I think.  Bradford getting that much shows just what a dearth of QB's there are in the NFL. 

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/redskinsblog/cousins-should-be-all-smiles-after-seeing-bradford-contract

With Sam Bradford getting a two year deal at $18 mil per, that is pretty much proof that you can rob an NFL team without a gun.  And you can say the same thing with Kirk.  Here is a guy who has had a 1/2 of a decent season and he is going to get paid 20 mil per.  There is something messed up with that.  He better hope he doesnt bomb because if he does, he could be making alot less next year.

Archived