Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBSsports.com: Redskins can bluff all they want, but Kirk Cousins holds all the cards

TK

any idea? ballpark?

Waiting to see. Had that texted to me while in the gym, so it kinda set there for about 2 hours before I was able to respond to it.

Personally I haven't looked into their cap/FA/etc so...

I don't think Kirk wants to be in DC.  I've been saying this for months.  He doesn't feel that he was treated fairly.  He has been through periods where the communication in this organization has been non existent.  He has not felt wanted or needed by this organization since the day he was drafted.  He will be playing for the Redskins next year but I doubt he will be a Redskin for the long term.  

I don't think Kirk wants to be in DC.  I've been saying this for months.  He doesn't feel that he was treated fairly.  He has been through periods where the communication in this organization has been non existent.  He has not felt wanted or needed by this organization since the day he was drafted.  He will be playing for the Redskins next year but I doubt he will be a Redskin for the long term.  

Like another team drafted him prior to the 4th?

He got drafted by the team that spent multiple picks on the Heisman winner and he still got his opportunities. You are basing this line of thinking on some kind of drama the media has tried to spin....it didn't really exist.

The team loves this guy. He is the epitome of what we want this team to be....blue collar, tough, underdog,humble

Man if it were my money I was talking with a friend the week of the playoff game and was saying I'd be comfortable with a deal in the 15-18mil range. That's what I feel his market value is. If that's the type of money the Cousins camp is seeking, I'm sort of shocked a deal hasn't gotten done. I said it last off season and I'll say it again this offseason, I finally have trust in the GM that he will make the right decisions so I'm ok with however this plays out. I can see both sides of the argument, 11 games and wins only against sub 500 teams... I don't think the franchise tag will hurt for one year to make sure there is consistent play over 27 games instead of 11. But yeah if Kirk isn't asking for 20+ million a year I think his agent was asking for the correct value if reports are true and it would be nice to have a long term deal with some escape clauses in there just in case.

Like another team drafted him prior to the 4th?

He got drafted by the team that spent multiple picks on the Heisman winner and he still got his opportunities. You are basing this line of thinking on some kind of drama the media has tried to spin....it didn't really exist.

The team loves this guy. He is the epitome of what we want this team to be....blue collar, tough, underdog,humble

Team should have loved this guy but they didn't.  They wouldn't let him even compete for the starting job.  You are right that he is the epitome of what we want this team to be, but we have not supported him.  Redskins coaching staff told the press that this was Griffin's team and there was not a competition at the QB spot.  Nothing was said to Kirk.  He found out that there was no competition in 2014.  Do you remember that Kirk requested a trade in 2014?  

Guess what happened before training camp in 2015?  The same coaching staff did the exact same thing.  They told the press that Griffin was the QB and there was no competition.  Guess who told Kirk.  No One.  

Now we have a QB that we absolutely love.  He has the skill set that our coaching staff wants and he has the intangibles you look for in an up and coming QB.  As usual, our coaching staff and front office screwed up.  

Team should have loved this guy but they didn't.  They wouldn't let him even compete for the starting job.  You are right that he is the epitome of what we want this team to be, but we have not supported him.  Redskins coaching staff told the press that this was Griffin's team and there was not a competition at the QB spot.  Nothing was said to Kirk.  He found out that there was no competition in 2014.  Do you remember that Kirk requested a trade in 2014?  

Guess what happened before training camp in 2015?  The same coaching staff did the exact same thing.  They told the press that Griffin was the QB and there was no competition.  Guess who told Kirk.  No One.  

Now we have a QB that we absolutely love.  He has the skill set that our coaching staff wants and he has the intangibles you look for in an up and coming QB.  As usual, our coaching staff and front office screwed up.  

you know what happened in training camp 2015?

We signed the 5th year option for RG3, ensuring that regardless of any poor game, string of games etc...Kirk would get the entire year with his only real competition in sweatpants

Seriously what other reason was there? We cant even trade him because of it. Confidence? lol Coaches had to know confidence wasn't what was lacking. Maybe a few pep talks to boost the confidence instead of 16 million dead-end

Regardless, these are grown men. You don't have to coddle their feelings. If they want the job (one of the greatest jobs in the world btw), win it.  or somebody else will, sorry your feelings are hurt 

To me, this:

"We'll go into the season with Robert as the No. 1 guy obviously, and it's up to Robert to continue to grow and mature as a quarterback and a person and moving forward, we just want to see some improvement. That's up to us as a staff to get more out of him."

" and we anticipate both of them with a good frame of mind and eager to get better."

does not equal:

" They told the press that Griffin was the QB and there was no competition "

Sounded like Gruden was saying yes, Griffin is the starter. We expect him to improve, but if he doesn't, the job could be up for grabs.

So TK, if KC's camp wanted $15-18M/year and we reportedly conceded and offered $15M/year, what's the hangup? Deal specifics? Guarantees?

I believe their starting point was the average between the Transition & Franchise Tags. I figure they'll probably meet somewhere around 16 though personally I think his value based off of 8 good games is closer to 14-15. The cheaper we can get him signed for the easier it is to continue putting a team around him. Again, if the Eagles can get Bradford done before 4 pm tomorrow we'll have a better idea of where the QB market actually is.

Sounded like Gruden was saying yes, Griffin is the starter. We expect him to improve, but if he doesn't, the job could be up for grabs.

Ding.

Griffin could do it in practice but couldn't get it to transfer to live games.

The hit in the Ravens game just sealed it & made it easier to hand Kirk the reigns. Both guys were being evaluated by Scot. He'd seen enough of Robert to see he wasn't progressing any.

Ding.

Griffin could do it in practice but couldn't get it to transfer to live games.

The hit in the Ravens game just sealed it & made it easier to hand Kirk the reigns. Both guys were being evaluated by Scot. He'd seen enough of Robert to see he wasn't progressing any.

You talking about the hit he took in the pre-season game this past pre-season? If so, that one was against the lions. If you meant the hit against the Ravens in his rookie season, I don't think the hit in THAT game sealed it. He played good enough to get us the final 2 wins to make the playoffs. It was the hit against Seattle that sealed it.

Also, hopefully we can get the long term contract done by July. Although a 1 year prove it franchise tag wouldn't be bad.

You talking about the hit he took in the pre-season game this past pre-season? If so, that one was against the lions. If you meant the hit against the Ravens in his rookie season, I don't think the hit in THAT game sealed it. He played good enough to get us the final 2 wins to make the playoffs. It was the hit against Seattle that sealed it.

Also, hopefully we can get the long term contract done by July. Although a 1 year prove it franchise tag wouldn't be bad.

This past pre season. You're right, it was the Lions hit in Week 2, Ravens were Week 3.

Ravens. Lions. They both suck so they're easily confused. :)

... The significance of that 7/15 deadline? Last year, 5 guys were tagged. Four got long-term deals. All 4 were done on 7/15. So be patient.

Seems like the probabilities are either they get a long term deal done today, or it's going to happen on 7/15.

I would love the deal to be done before 4PM today, but I expect the franchise tag and continued negotiations until July 15.

I get the feeling that Cousins and the Skins are just waiting for some other QB deals to get done so they can both see where the market is.  Someone has to be the first to sign and neither want to be that first one.  I'm fine with that.  I'm just patiently waiting.  I don't think his would be nearly as big of a deal if we actually had something else to talk about.

I get the feeling that Cousins and the Skins are just waiting for some other QB deals to get done so they can both see where the market is.  Someone has to be the first to sign and neither want to be that first one.  I'm fine with that.  I'm just patiently waiting.  I don't think his would be nearly as big of a deal if we actually had something else to talk about.

The more time goes by, the more I'm open to let Kirk go test the market. Not even bothering tagging him. Scott have good relations with MCartney and Kirk's agent will be good at trying to take us into a bidding war.

Only thing I see, is that Fitzpatrick and Osweiler will also be both FA, and could be get for far less money than Cousins. Fitz mostly as a stopgap while a team groom a newly drafted QB.

Now if I take a look at the cap space for every team in 2016, which teams with lots of cap space can afford to go for Cousins at 18M+?

Not many to me.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Jaguars and Raiders are set with Bortles and Carr. Kirk won't go there to be a backup. Those two are out of it.

Bucs? Titans? They just picked QB at 1 & 2. No either.

Giants? They got Eli (Not the one with the book btw).

Browns? They have McCown as stopgap, not that bad, and will probably go QB at #2 since they've got tons of holes anyway. And they're not sexy either.

Chiefs, Bengals, Chargers, are set also.

That leaves Rams, 49ers, Bears.Texans. One of them being a complete mess that turned to Chip Kelly... Not what I would call a lovely destination, if they get rid of Kap. Rams and Bears are so-so. Texans maybe, they seemed OK with no QB at the helm.

But I do believe that if those teams want to go for Kirk, they'll also give a call to Fitz and Osweiler's agents to see what their asking price is.

Oh and btw... RG3's gonna get cut. Some team could throw him in the mix, most probably as a back up job though.

Finally, I reach the conclusion, that there's no real fear in the market this year.

I'm going by the Chris Russel report that TK posted.  Which inferred that the Redskins may very well let Kirk go and test his worth on the market (without any tags).

I still don't get why whatever comes from his piehole gets so much reverence around these (or any parts). He has nothing to say and knows it, which is why he speaks so slowly, yet still has to labor on any given topic well past its death. He never ultimately has anything of substance on top of all that and is rarely correct in his outcomes. He's the ultimate contrarian.

In other words, CR loves the sound of his own voice and is 10,000% wrong about the 'Skins just letting Cap'n Kirk walk for nothing.

Nick

Archived