Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article129554379.html

The Latest: GOP senators block effort to reverse Trump order

Senate Republicans have blocked a Democratic effort to overturn President Donald Trump's executive order temporarily suspending all immigration for citizens of seven majority-Muslim countries.

Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York sought a vote Monday on legislation reversing the order. Republican Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas objected.

Republicans have expressed support for the vetting, but have questioned the rollout of the order. Chaos and confusion ensued in airports as officials initially barred permanent U.S. residents with "green cards" from re-entering the country, then said they would be allow to enter.

Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California called the order "unnecessary, unconstitutional and un-American."

Late Saturday, a federal judge in New York issued an emergency order temporarily barring the U.S. from deporting people from the nations subject to Trump's ban.

Edited by The Evil Genius

13 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article129554379.html

The Latest: GOP senators block effort to reverse Trump order

And that is why, as of this afternoon, I can no longer be called a Republican.  I changed my Registration.  My values haven't changed, my former party just sold out.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And that is why, as of this afternoon, I can no longer be called a Republican.  I changed my Registration.  My values haven't changed, my former party just sold out.

I have never, thankfully, been a registered member of ANY political party. I vote based on positions, and take great offense to being told what issues I SHOULD or SHOULDN'T identify with. I wish all elections would eliminate party affiliation on ballots and prevent filled in sample ballots by either party at the polling place. Want an engaged electorate? Don't spoon feed them...

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm a registered Independent.  If the R "autopsy" results haven't helped, I can totally understand your frustration. 

We welcome everyone (with a brain)...you'll fit in just fine.:)

I'm a registered democrat and I guess I can't leave because the other options are terrible, but seriously, this party is absolutely awful too. I have no idea what our future will look like or who our leadership is going to be heading into 2020. Hopefully the Dems have a warm body prepared by then, one under age 70, but it will be a hollow victory if the candidate is a morally compromised sellout with a ton of baggage and moderate social values. I want someone I can be proud of.

• Like 3

Reporting now...acting US atty tells justice dep't not to defend trump's policy...likely bring an end to her 20-plus year long career...former head of Immi and Border Patrol said he'd have had to resign as soon as possible were this happening under his watch..

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I'm a registered democrat and I guess I can't leave because the other options are terrible, but seriously, this party is absolutely awful too. I have no idea what our future will look like or who our leadership is going to be heading into 2020. Hopefully the Dems have a warm body prepared by then, one under age 70, but it will be a hollow victory if the candidate is a morally compromised sellout with a ton of baggage and moderate social values. I want someone I can be proud of.

The D's have a few very young candidates already making a national name for themselves.

Cory Booker & Kamala Harris 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

The D's have a few very young candidates already making a national name for themselves.

Cory Booker & Kamala Harris 

And assume that a lot of young nobodies are thinking that, if they can make themselves stand out, now, then maybe they could be running against a disgraced Trump (or an "appointed by a GOP Congress" Pence) in 2020.  

44 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

I have never, thankfully, been a registered member of ANY political party. I vote based on positions, and take great offense to being told what issues I SHOULD or SHOULDN'T identify with. I wish all elections would eliminate party affiliation on ballots and prevent filled in sample ballots by either party at the polling place. Want an engaged electorate? Don't spoon feed them...

42 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'm a registered Independent.  If the R "autopsy" results haven't helped, I can totally understand your frustration. 

We welcome everyone (with a brain)...you'll fit in just fine.:)

Don't get too excited, I registered Libertarian.  I hate the party system also.  The main reason I register as anything is so I can vote in primaries and get a say as to which ****ty choice I will have.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Reporting now...acting US atty tells justice dep't not to defend trump's policy...likely bring an end to her 20-plus year long career...former head of Immi and Border Patrol said he'd have had to resign as soon as possible were this happening under his watch..

Sans judicial protection she should probably be fired for this... contempt of the boss, but I still salute her courage and sense of right and wrong.

21 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

President Private Sector forgot to run his plan through legal?  

Can we identify who this clowns #2 and executive assistants were when he ran the Trump empire?  I'm starting to get the impression that the brains of that operation aren't located beneath that cotton candy wig we just elected President.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Sans judicial protection she should probably be fired for this... contempt of the boss, but I still salute her courage and sense of right and wrong.

I'm surprised that the Trumpsters allowed anybody who had touched Obama to still have jobs. 

No doubt a quickly rectified oversight. 

• Like 2

Just now, Burgold said:

Probably be fired?  That's hilarious.  She's toast.  

So brave.  I couldn't be more proud of her.  Now if all these Republicans could stop **** footing around the political fence with words like 'concerned' and 'worried' about the ban and call it out for what it is, maybe we could get this thing off the books.  

Just waiting for Donald Bannon to drop the hammer on LGBT.  It'll be an HB2 for the entire country.  And it'll be here before the weekend.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Just watched his speech live on MSNBC...they're handing the mic to Al Franken (my hero post Wellstone). 

Just want to point out that Franken is the best (admittedly maybe only?) recent example where a study showed he most likely won (against Norm Coleman) due to fraudulent voting. And BTW he is actually one of the Democratic Senators I fully respect but totally disagree with  (he opposed Iraq yet still did USO tours there and admired and respected the troops).

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1