Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

36 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think the best way forward is for all citizens to claim responsibility for this mess.  

A simple 'I didn't vote for the guy' is just an excuse to continue to sit on the sidelines.   

This can't be said enough.  We are all spending too much time blaming.  It's like we have an offense and a defense that both aren't playing well and we are too busy pointing fingers to realize fault doesn't matter.  We are still losing the game.

• Like 6

As difficult as it might be to step back and take a breath, especially when pros are bangin' your buttons as hard as they have been lately, it might be worth the effort to try and think in response to provocation as opposed to a more emotional, Molotov ****tail kinda reply.

What if?.......... let's play "What if?" a bit, you know, like when you buy a Powerball ticket, what if the bastid actually hit, what if I had never met me ex, that kinda thing, what if?

What if this isn't a ****show, what if this isn't amateur hour or incompetence incarnate, what if this is intentional, planned, structured to do exactly what it is doing? That to me is far scarier than anything else (well, except maybe the ex thing), already we hear "resistance fatigue" and some paranoiac comments about being added to watchlists and concerns about cell phone contacts or social media histories, just accept for a "what if?" moment that those things are true, what would they mean? What could they mean?

These are the thoughts that keep me awake in a cold sweat lately. I should probably for the sake of transparency offer my thanks to my aforementioned ex for moving to Australia and leaving my hemisphere clear to focus on the mundanities of the impending apocalypse.

• Like 2

fwiw...i accord John King with real credibility (CNN) and he's saying he has information that Kelly, Mattis, and Tillerson all "vented" about this mess and how it was done and the two generals said "this isn't what we signed up for"...more to come i reckon.. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

fwiw...i accord John King with real credibility (CNN) and he's saying he has it that Kelly, Mattis, and Tillerson all "vented" about this mess and how it was done and the two generals said "this isn't what we signed up for"...more to come i reckon.. 

We'll see. All it takes is one of them to quit. Then others who feel that way will do the same. Sticking around shows either fear or ignorance. They aren't the woman who is saying "I can change him.....just you watch". You aren't changing a 70+ year old with the mental deficiencies we've seen on display.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

fwiw...i accord John King with real credibility (CNN) and he's saying he has information that Kelly, Mattis, and Tillerson all "vented" about this mess and how it was done and the two generals said "this isn't what we signed up for"...more to come i reckon.. 

This is what (predictably) happens when non-insiders are elected. They have no grasp of the intricacies of policy making. 

edit..some people like to **** about polticians..but they generally don't do dumb ass short sighted **** like this without proper support and/or vetting. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Has anybody used Google yet today?  I didn't recognize the person depicted in Google Doodle:

KOREMATSU-googledoodle-1024x357.jpg&w=14

It is Fred Korematsu, who fought Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Executive Order on the internment of Japanese Americans at the outset of World War II.

I don't think it's coincidence they chose to recognize him today.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

It really is the way it was done that's the big story to me and should be what's most examined---we already knew about the discriminatory leanings of the admin.

This implies epic degrees of incompetency and and mental-case levels of malice, as execute. I see Bannon /Flynn/Sessions/others>trump in that stuff.  (yeah, i know flynn's ship is sailing, but his impact is part of the foundation and bannon still carries his water as long as it suits)

Incompetence really stands out.  No matter how someone feels about the general idea of a broad travel ban, the implementation of this is embarrassing.  Trump was supposed to surround himself with the best people and show those inefficient know-nothing bureaucrats how to get things done.  haha so much for that idea.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Has anybody used Google yet today?  I didn't recognize the person depicted in Google Doodle:

KOREMATSU-googledoodle-1024x357.jpg&w=14

It is Fred Korematsu, who fought Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Executive Order on the internment of Japanese Americans at the outset of World War II.

Yes..they are trolling Trump. 

If you click on the doodles..they always tell the story. 

18 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

In polls, the question is everything. If asked:

(1) do you support a temporary travel ban from regions where ISIS is in control, until DHS can validate the risk of the applicant?

(2) should everyone from the seven countries, including green card holders who have been through extensive background checks including FBI investigation, and visa-holding translators who have worked with the USA Army for a decade be banned?

Only a very small number would say yes to (2). Odds are that they are mostly white nationalists like Bannon.

I would think 48% at least would say yes to (1) but of course it's an entirely false premise because anyone applying for immigration from those areas already goes through extensive background checks.  

Oh I get how important the question is and how it can be manipulated.  Things like sample size, margin of error, etc also effect how worthy a poll is.  They are quite easily manipulated if you do it right.  That's why I usually call people out on quoting poll results but usually I'm just told I don't know what I'm talking about.

I remember in a Stats class I took years ago, we were tasked with doing a poll.  We were given very little guidance for what criteria we had to meet, we just had to show our data.  I used some craftiness and was able to show that something like 85% of people supported the leader of the Klan getting a Nobel Peace Prize.  I got a B.  I need to try to find it and use it in here some times.  It makes a good point.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

This is what (predictably) happens when non-insiders are elected. They have no grasp of the intricacies of policy making. 

I might buy this for Trump, but I don't buy this for some of the people he has around him. DHS lawyers wrote that green card holders were not to be included. There is a DHS document that said “lawful permanent residents are not included and may continue to travel to the USA", but Bannon & Miller personally intervened to overrule the guidance from DHS lawyers.

They were quite aware of the hurt and chaos they would create. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Destino said:

Incompetence really stands out.  No matter how someone feels about the general idea of a broad travel ban, the implementation of this is embarrassing.  Trump was supposed to surround himself with the best people and show those inefficient know-nothing bureaucrats how to get things done.  haha so much for that idea.  

and in  keeping with incompetence and lying...this "excuse" djt & co are plying that they had to "keep it secret so the bad guys wouldn't rush in before the deadline"...lmao...seriously?...i think the bad guys saw the many many clips of don saying muslim ban and extreme vetting and no syrians etc as  what he was going to do if elected lol...so yeh, i think after the election they figured he would go for it and are ecstatic about it...relatedly, bbc showed a string of trump experts that when you see them all together, just makes it funnier than hell to try to pretend otherwise...not that such will stop anyone doing that...reality need not apply

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

It's a good bet they thought the pre-change version of the EO was the final version, which is why Mattis didn't seem angry at the EO signing ceremony. I have a hunch this was a Bannon power play along with demoting JCS out of the NSC Principals committee.

24 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Considering Sergey Brin protested this weekend, I'm not too surprised...

• Like 1

1. I think it's bad policy, but I do think a ban/quota on immigration from certain countries would pass constitutional muster.

2. There is no way that you can ban people with green cards from entering.

3. Implementing this stupid policy overnight without vetting it with anyone is probably what the future of this administration is going to look like. A ****show that has real world consequences for people but makes his base stand and cheer.

"A Muslim spent 17 hours in a TSA office!!! Yay!!!!!"

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

edit..some people like to **** about polticians..but they generally don't do dumb ass short sighted **** like this without proper support and/or vetting. 

Yup, they just use the intricacies to cry about things being hard when they don't work, while also making sure their buddies have money funneled their way.

The problem isn't that we elected a non-insider. The problem is we elected an idiot with an ego problem; he has compounded that by surrounding himself with Bannon...

49 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Well, it is his birthday ;)