Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

3 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Keep telling yourself that. You guys put him there just as much as the republicans did. 

Just as much... Yep, our zero votes for Trump are equal to your actual vote for Trump, your choice to vote for him over 16 other candidates, your efforts to smear and lie for his opponents, your choice to ignore Trump's personal history, business history, who he was aligning himself with, etc.

Hell, you chose to vote for someone being sued for fraud (and was guilty of it), child rape (have no idea), and kept yelling "Buy American" while importing Chinese made campaign hats. I hardly think my voting and advocating against him is equal to your embracing and surrender to him.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Keep telling yourself that. You guys put him there just as much as the republicans did. 

One time I made a mistake in college. I totally did it. When they called me in to talk to me about it I had all of these stupid excuses and presented all these loopholes in the college's code of conduct. The dean was like, "Look, you did it. Just own it and learn from it." People are totally willing to move on but you gotta cut the crap.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Oh, this is just sad.  You guys gotta own it, so you can help fix it.  Kasich was right there...competent, qualified and moderate...and the Tea Party followed the dog whistle and picked the most "smug" candidate in our lifetimes.  Hillary had nothing to do with that.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Okay, believe his lies. Cheers for you, Soc.

Who said anything about believing him? To paraphrase the conversation:

Tailgate: We love Muslims. Trump is evil because he hates Muslims.

Me: I love Muslims too, but where was all this love for them while we were bombing the **** out of them?

You: Those bombs weren't targeting Muslims, they were targeting terrorists and enemies of the US. Important distinction.

Me: I'm sure Trump would make the same distinction.

You: Absolutely not.

Me: Quote from Trump making the same distinction.

You: s0crates believes Trump's lies!

Me: :confused

Edited by s0crates
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

No, we very stupidly put faith in our fellow citizens who were conservatives to see him for the liar that he is.  It wasn't a Hillary victory lap.  We just seriously believed that our electorate was SMARTER THAN HIM. 

We were horribly wrong. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Just as much... Yep, our zero votes for Trump are equal to your actual vote for Trump, your choice to vote for him over 16 other candidates, your efforts to smear and lie for his opponents, your choice to ignore Trump's personal history, business history, who he was aligning himself with, etc.

Hell, you chose to vote for someone being sued for fraud (and was guilty of it), child rape (have no idea), and kept yelling "Buy American" while importing Chinese made campaign hats. I hardly think my voting and advocating against him is equal to your embracing and surrender to him.

Again, not a republican. Didn't vote for Trump. 

10 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

**** you. That is the biggest cop out crock of ****ing ****. Blaming people that didn't vote for this guy is one of the single dumbest, alternative universe, taking no personal responsibility, weakest deflections ever. Trump is doing exactly what he said he was going to do. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, brandymac27 said:

I can't help but notice the oddly specific language.  Why does it specify terrorist attacks on American soil?  That makes me wonder where exactly have they killed people in terrorist attacks.  Anyone know?

• Like 2

Add:  @TryTheBeal! is exactly right.  Kasich was right there, someone who was flawed from a lib's pov, but still able to GOVERN RATIONALLY.  Hell, the Republicans could've pushed Jon Huntsman out there!  But he believes in climate change, so **** that...stop trying to shed ExxonMobile.  They own the elephants, and all the **** that will be left behind.  It'll just be up to the Dems to clean up after, just like after W.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

I can't help but notice the oddly specific language.  Why does it specify terrorist attacks on American soil?  That makes me wonder where have they killed people in terrorist attacks.  Anyone know?

They also said "soil" so technically if you fly a plane into a building...

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

7 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Lucky for them Dictator Trump has business interests in their homeland huh?

Hail. 

If you mean Saudi Arabia, I'm afraid US entanglements go a great deal deeper than Trump's business dealings.  People have been pointing out how oddly friendly the US is with The Kingdom through several administrations. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

... Your attempt to justify falls flat if for no other reason than Morocco is not one of the countries included in the EO Muslim Ban.

I'd be careful making this argument. One of Trump's henchmen already turned this around on CNN and said - yes, that's why this is just the start.

The countries in the EO were taken from a list created under the Obama administration, with input from state, dhs, etc. The countries are on a list that identifies where there is a significant Jihadi threat/training/action, or where the government is believed to support it.

The move seems full of incompetence, but it's not entirely incompetent. They chose a list compiled under the Obama admin for a reason. They're already putting the 'this is just a start' rhetoric out.

5 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Lucky for them Dictator Trump has no business interests in their homeland huh?

Hail. 

Think it might because we labeled them as terrorist supporters and were  bombing them and such? 

Obama and co kinda frowned on investment in such places....unlike in Russia and Saudi Arabia ect  :ols:

43 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

It wasn't just republicans who gave him the reigns, democrats helped put him there with their smug Hillary victory lap. 

No one in their right mind should have voted for this dude. You can call the Dems smug all you want. Intelligence should have prevailed regardless. Trying to lay blame for this mistake at this point is laughable. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Destino said:

I can't help but notice the oddly specific language.  Why does it specify terrorist attacks on American soil?  That makes me wonder where have they killed people in terrorist attacks.  Anyone know?

If you start defining attacks on civilian populations (e.g. market places) in places like Iraq as terrorism, then yes clearly.

29 minutes ago, s0crates said:

You: Those bombs weren't targeting Muslims, they were targeting terrorists and enemies of the US. Important distinction.

Me: I'm sure Trump would make the same distinction.

You: Absolutely not.

Me: Quote from Trump making the same distinction.

From the Donald J. Trump for President Website, in case you forgot:

December 7th, 2015, -- Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-statement-on-preventing-muslim-immigration