Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Just now, PeterMP said:

The GOP sold its soul when they catered to Rush Limbaugh and his lies back in the 1980s.  Just nobody realized it then.

I was thinking about that too. Maybe we could say they put a down payment on their souls with Rush and then sold it outright to FOX and took out a loan and double mortgage with the Tea Party. I guess Trump is going to the loan shark and putting up your children as collateral.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What are the Brown Shirts?

The Federal law enforcement people like the border protection police who are ignoring and styming court orders, probably because they fear that they might be fired or perhaps they like Trump and his EOs.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

5 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

It is a reference to Hitler's rise to power in Germany pre-WWII.

(At some level, people need to take a step back from the Hitler/Nazi stuff.)

No, to those of us who have studied the Nazi regime for decades because we recognized what was happening with Republicans and see what's happened in this election. It's the culmination of their power usurping strategies.

We weren't crying wolf.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Have we been bombing Muslims or terrorists and enemies of the US? Some would argue that there is an important distinction there.

I imagine Trump would make that sort of argument. Can't you hear him saying this? "It's not a Muslim ban, it's a ban on terrorists and enemies of the US. Bigly important distinction."

As far as who we've been bombing: I'll grant that the 100,000 bombs we dropped over the past two years have targeted "terrorists and enemies of the US," but I'm pretty sure they've killed a lot of innocent civilians and contributed to the mess in the Middle East in the process.

Anyway of course people are fleeing their war torn countries in the Middle East, and to be clear, I completely support offering these people asylum in the US, but I also think we should examine the root causes of the refugee problem. Why is the Middle East so bad? I'm sure it's partly just the way the Middle East has always been, but I'd argue a big part of the problem is the mess Bush and Obama made. Frankly I don't see why this is such a contentious thing to say. 

Edited by s0crates
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

It's what my people call a "group of Bannons"

What would that be, a "clutch" of Bannons? A gaggle? There needs to be something specific.....

23 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

All those nice educated people who voted for Trump/Republicans, what do you think now? 

What are you going to think/do when the Brown Shirts start arresting and shooting people for no reason?

Now now LSF, you know they'll always have their reasons

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

No, to those of us who have studied the Nazi regime for decades because we recognized what was happening with Republicans and see what's happened in this election. It's the culmination of their power usurping strategies.

We weren't crying wolf.

Even if you believe it is true by making what are essentially drive by posts on a topic there was plenty of broad support against it distracts and minimizes your over all point.

If you think you are right, right concrete posts that tie it all together.

(Just really generally, Nazis seemed to be interested in keeping people in and even taking territory to get their hands on groups they didn't like.  I don't think there was a whole lot of effort to prevent immigration in so at least at that level of detail your ragument seems to fail.)

I'm not sure this wasn't done this way on purpose.  That it is smart or safe to chalk it up to incompetence and that there wasn't a political component to it and to its execution.

But that's a long way from connecting it to Nazi brown shirts.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Count me in as someone who think that this is Trump's way to assert power and continue to divide the two parties in this nation.  The more that people condemn him, the harder that his supporters will defend him.

This is a stunt.

I don't think that this is Trump, I think it's Bannon. He knows that 35-40% of the voting public will support all of these things no matter what.