Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

1 minute ago, skinsfan1523 said:

Ok I'm ignorant I'll confess.  This is only a 90 day ban, and only is coming from 7 war torn countries, that could possibly be infiltrated by terrorist organizations.  What am I missing here here as far as this outrage is concerned.  It seems like a new administration is just upping the vetting process to me.  But like I said I'm ignorant to this stuff.  

Biggest problem was implementation (it was a surprise) and then informing the people who have to preform the actions. Apparently they have next to no instructions and are on the front lines. I bet most found out through twitter too

• Like 2

Ok I'm ignorant I'll confess.  This is only a 90 day ban, and only is coming from 7 war torn countries, that could possibly be infiltrated by terrorist organizations.  What am I missing here here as far as this outrage is concerned.  It seems like a new administration is just upping the vetting process to me.  But like I said I'm ignorant to this stuff.  

And obviously not a total ban since folk are getting in

There is a whole host of issues. The EO is banning green card holders and people who are legally here from returning, it is sending refugees who have already been vetted and sending them back into war zones, it is preventing Iraqi nationals who worked with the American military from entering the county and getting their visas, it is blatantly discriminatory against one religion (further emphasized by allowing Jews and Christians special privileges), it also does absolutely nothing to protect the country and presents ISIS or any other extremist organization with a golden recruitment tool, and frankly it is anti-American and violates the core of what this country stands for.  

• Like 9

Obama's suspension of the Iraqi refugee program was in reponse to an actual infiltration case due to substandard background check, causing the administration to revise the vetting process while the program was on hold.

Trump's 7 country ban was devised as a result of Guiliani's advice that a blanket Muslim ban will not pass muster.  Trump asked Guiliani to come up with the Muslim ban in a legal way.  I wouldn't be surprised if the vetting was used as a front knowing that they could used Obama's precedent as a shield.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jpyaks3 said:

There is a whole host of issues. The EO is banning green card holders and people who are legally here from returning, it is sending refugees who have already been vetted and sending them back into war zones, it is preventing Iraqi nationals who worked with the American military from entering the county and getting their visas, it is blatantly discriminatory against one religion (further emphasized by allowing Jews and Christians special privileges), it also does absolutely nothing to protect the country and presents ISIS or any other extremist organization with a golden recruitment tool, and frankly it is anti-American and violates the core of what this country stands for.  

So why did they do it than?  Is it just because they are dumb?  Also I've seen on Facebook that the green card ban has been reversed.  

16 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Biggest problem was implementation (it was a surprise) and then informing the people who have to preform the actions. Apparently they have next to no instructions and are on the front lines. I bet most found out through twitter too

That is ridiculous than, a major decision like this should be planned weeks before implementation.

4 hours ago, No Excuses said:

There is too much of a divide between urban and rural America for there not to be full blown chaos up ahead.

At this point, the only thing that can save this country from complete dysfunction are sane Republicans who drop the GOP, hold their noses and vote for the Democrats until the GOP is forced to abandon the extreme right faction and return to the center.

I have hope of that happening down the line. A good example is the VA10 district. It went by 10 points for Clinton but still elected a Republican (Barbara Comstock) to the house. Previously, the district had voted for Romney. So there were thousands of Clinton/Comstock split ticket voters. This happened in A LOT of districts all across the country.

It will be this group of voters that will have to send a message to congressional Republicans all throughout the country in 2018 to grow a spine.

NO! NO! NO!

The GOP made their beds.  In every election from now on, the GOP must be wiped out of existence.  Something new will have to replace the GOP but the GOP needs to be eliminated.

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

NO! NO! NO!

The GOP made their beds.  In every election from now on, the GOP must be wiped out of existence.  Something new will have to replace the GOP but the GOP needs to be eliminated.

Just like the last 6 years of elections!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, skinsfan1523 said:

So why did they do it than?  Is it just because they are dumb?  Also I've seen on Facebook that the green card ban has been reversed.  

Because Steve Bannon is a white nationalist and has Trump's ear (and now a spot on the National Security Council) its as simple as that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skinsfan1523 said:

The DHS pointed out the issue on green cards to the White House on Friday as soon as they heard and BEFORE implementation, along with the fact that iraqis serving with the US military would be denied access. Bannon overruled them. The most likely explanation is that he or Trump wanted to provoke the scenes we saw yesterday. They wanted to show their base that they would keep a promise, no matter what the resistance from the liberals and the RINOs. OR, they want to engineer a confrontation with someone in their power struggle. Bannon has made it clear before that he felt there were too many successful Asian CEOs in Silicon Valley. It was even stated by Bannon in a radio interview with Trump. Trump commended them as job creators and felt they should be welcome here. Bannon was concerned that Asian CEOs might change society for the worse.

And nothing has been reversed. Just because Reince said something on TV this morning doesn't mean a damn thing. Disabled 80 year olds, who have been through a very thorough and multi-year application process and have every right to be here, are still being deported.

Edited by Corcaigh

3 hours ago, visionary said:

And they're right (as far as I know.)  

The rulings have simply stated that the feds can't deport the people they're not allowing into the country.  (And some other things, like demanding that detainees be granted access to counsel.  Despite twa's attempts to claim that denying that isn't prohibited.)  

I don't know all of the details on this, but it seems like an important distinction that Obama's refugee ban was in response to a specific incident (finding two Iraqi al-Qaeda members that came in as refugees).

Trump's ban isn't just refugees and even includes green card holders. 

I get that conservatives are sick of hearing "false equivalence!" about everything. But I really don't know what else to call it.