Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

1 hour ago, Larry said:

And they're right (as far as I know.)  

The rulings have simply stated that the feds can't deport the people they're not allowing into the country.  (And some other things, like demanding that detainees be granted access to counsel.  Despite twa's attempts to claim that denying that isn't prohibited.)  

That is not what I claimed, counsel cannot appoint itself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

It's more a complaint about the left wingers reaction to both. 

Both are wrong.  But I don't recall massive protests when their guy was doing it. 

They were very different things, done very different ways, and so very different responses.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

I don't know all of the details on this, but it seems like an important distinction that Obama's refugee ban was in response to a specific incident (finding two Iraqi al-Qaeda members that came in as refugees).

Trump's ban isn't just refugees and even includes green card holders. 

I get that conservatives are sick of hearing "false equivalence!" about everything. But I really don't know what else to call it. 

One big difference is they don't seem to even seem to be able to effectively communicate who it affects.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/29/politics/donald-trump-travel-ban-green-card-dual-citizens/

" Adding to the confusion, Trump administration officials seemed to at times contradict themselves during appearances on Sunday news shows. In mere minutes during an interview with NBC, White House chief of staff Reince Priebus said the order "doesn't affect" green card holders, then later said "of course" it affects green card holders from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Libya, Yemen and Somalia -- the seven countries Trump has temporarily stop immigration from for 90 days."

So, just heard a Trump spokesperson say that the temp immigration ban has no religious components and the complaints are bull. He then went on to explain how t just because it gives Christians priorities and dictates that Muslims have to go through extra layers of scrutiny that doesn't mean it makes any determinations on the basis of religion.

They are not not really even trying, are they?

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

For those that called Obama the "divider in chief" I wonder how Trump stacks up to that a mere 10 days into his administration? 

He Trumped him in the primaries :silly:

8 minutes ago, Burgold said:

So, just heard a Trump spokesperson say that the temp immigration ban has no religious components and the complaints are bull. He then went on to explain how t just because it gives Christians priorities and dictates that Muslims have to go through extra layers of scrutiny that doesn't mean it makes any determinations on the basis of religion.

They are not not really even trying, are they?

I cant figure out if they just thought that would fly, or if they were putting something out there that would get struck down to keep the rest in place.

Force people to attack the religious test component, eventually give it up (or lose in court), but keep the actual ban.

Just now, tshile said:

I cant figure out if they just thought that would fly, or if they were putting something out there that would get struck down to keep the rest in place.

Force people to attack the religious test component, eventually give it up (or lose in court), but keep the actual ban.

It's not a religious ban because we're only banning Muslims from seven countries. :rolleyes:

Just now, Burgold said:

It's not a religious ban because we're only banning Muslims from seven countries. :rolleyes:

Well, no.

They're banning everyone from 7 countries.

Then doing thorough vetting of the people

Jews and Christians get priority in the vetting

So they're banning everyone

Then letting some in easier than others

I could see them going to court and the courts saying - you can't give priority to Jews and Christians, and the trump admin going "ok, fine, we'll just ban everyone"

*shrug*

The "debate panel" on CNN was interesing... some points:

90+% of Muslims in the world are not affected (interesting justification...)

Trump supporter: the wife of the San Bernardino shooter was an immigrant

Someone against ban: to be fair, she would still get through because she wasn't from one of the 7

Trump supporter: yeah, that's why this is just the start. We need to do more

Crazy times.

Wife and I are putting together an escape from DC plan.

We walked around the trump hotel yesterday. Was a quiet day in DC yesterday...

21 minutes ago, tshile said:

The "debate panel" on CNN was interesing... some points:

90+% of Muslims in the world are not affected (interesting justification...)

Trump supporter: the wife of the San Bernardino shooter was an immigrant

Someone against ban: to be fair, she would still get through because she wasn't from one of the 7

Trump supporter: yeah, that's why this is just the start. We need to do more

Crazy times.

Wife and I are putting together an escape from DC plan.

We walked around the trump hotel yesterday. Was a quiet day in DC yesterday...

I do think they will expand the ban. 

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I do think they will expand the ban. 

But even if they do he has already shown a proclivity to make foreign policy decisions based on personal business interests.

Add:  I'm not so sure they want to piss off Saudi Arabia regardless.

Edited by RedskinsFan44

So, on CNN, they're saying Christians and Jews are not mentioned in the actual order.

Instead what it says is that members of a 'minority' religion from those reasons, that are persecuted, are given priority.

Little different, though I'm not going to argue with anyone suggesting that's code for Christians and jews.

The interesting question in the CNN discussion is whether they'll consider shiites and sunis minorities (where they are such) or if it's just blanket 'islam'

I'd be willing to take a bet on what the answer is... even if they weren't being malicious towards Muslims,  I have zero reason to believe trump and his staff understand that shiites and sunies exist much less the differences.

1 hour ago, twa said:

That is not what I claimed, counsel cannot appoint itself.

But a court can fashion all types of remedies when it comes to ensuring appropriate access to legal counsel.  Judge Brinkema at the Eastern District specifically ordered the CBP to give lawyers access to detained individuals at Dulles airport (Read that again.  Give "lawyers" access).  Blocking attorneys from seeing the detained individuals is a flagrant violation of the order.  

Do we really have to debate this?  Should we start from the beginning and cover 1+1?