Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

37 minutes ago, twa said:

Iraqi land :ols:, they have been poor partners till they started to bleed profusely....perhaps they have adjusted their attitude....but it is not apparent.

The Kurds and a few others there are the exception.

"Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country"

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/iraq-crisis-how-saudi-arabia-helped-isis-take-over-the-north-of-the-country-9602312.html

At least they are actually fighting.

9 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Not passed over, but I still care (self-defeating trait). I love this country too much to ever run it. For instance, I'm lousy at managing finances optimally, and it's money that matters (right, Randy?). Plus, I'd no doubt engage in a series of ill-advised (but torrid) sexual liaisons leading to constant scandal. Or at last that's what I'd be focusing my energy on.

Havent you heard? You can now go through multiple bankruptcies and still be President. Multiple wives, affairs, hell you can even sexually assault women and still be President.

• Like 5

Trump is getting hammered by policy people

Even people to the 'rights' on such things

The malevolence of President Trump’s Executive Order on visas and refugees is mitigated chiefly—and perhaps only—by the astonishing incompetence of its drafting and construction.

NBC is reporting that the document was not reviewed by DHS, the Justice Department, the State Department, or the Department of Defense, and that National Security Council lawyers were prevented from evaluating it. Moreover, the New York Times writes that Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services, the agencies tasked with carrying out the policy, were only given a briefing call while Trump was actually signing the order itself. Yesterday, the Department of Justice gave a “no comment” when asked whether the Office of Legal Counsel had reviewed Trump’s executive orders—including the order at hand. (OLC normally reviews every executive order.)

This order reads to me, frankly, as though it was not reviewed by competent counsel at all.

As I shall explain, in the short term, the incompetence is actually good news for people who believe in visa and refugee policies based on criteria other than—let’s not be coy about this—bigotry and religious discrimination. The President has created a target-rich environment for litigation that will make his policies, I suspect, less effective than they would have been had he subjected his order to vetting one percent as extreme as the vetting to which he proposes to subject refugees from Bashar al-Assad and the bombing raids of Vladimir Putin.

Let’s start with the malevolence of the document, which Amira Mikhail summarizedand Adham Sahloul analyzed earlier today. I don’t use the word “malevolence” here lightly. As readers of my work know, I believe in strong counterterrorism powers. I defend non-criminal detention. I’ve got no problem with drone strikes. I’m positively enthusiastic about American surveillance policies. I was much less offended than others were by the CIA’s interrogations in the years after September 11. I have defended military commissions.

While some of these policies proved tragically misguided and caused great harm to innocent people, none of them was designed or intended to be cruel to vulnerable, concededly innocent people. Even the CIA’s interrogation program, after all, was deployed against people the agency believed (mostly correctly) to be senior terrorists of the most dangerous sort and to garner information from them that would prevent attacks.

I actually cannot say that about Trump’s new executive order—and neither can anyone else.

Here’s how the order describes its purpose:

How incompetent is this order? An immigration lawyer who works for the federal government wrote me today describing the quality of the work as “look[ing] like what an intern came up with over a lunch hour. . . . My take is that it is so poorly written that it’s hard to tell the impact." One of the reasons there’s so much chaos going on right now, in fact, is that nobody really knows what the order means on important points.

Some examples:

Benjamin Wittes - Malevolence Tempered by Incompetence: Trump’s Horrifying Executive Order on Refugees and Visas

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

"Keep on Stuntin" is somehow the part of this post that comes closest to making any sense.

That was juggalo again...one of his "back-up" accounts....he's having a hard time finding that life...but he's still willing to ring the alarm to guide ya'all to the light and leave behind your clueless wandering ways...

panic_attack.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Havent you heard? You can now go through multiple bankruptcies and still be President. Multiple wives, affairs, hell you can even sexually assault women and still be President.

You actually have to do ALL of those things to qualify 

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

"Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country"

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/iraq-crisis-how-saudi-arabia-helped-isis-take-over-the-north-of-the-country-9602312.html

At least they are actually fighting.

Funny how that works.

Knocking on Baghdad's door does limit their options

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Even if Trump gets impeached, do we really want Pence as our President? He's not much better. In fact he might be worse. Dude thinks you can "cure" homosexuality by electrocuting them.

Pence would be competent compared to Trump. Trump can destroy the U.S. Pence would go hard right but we can survive hard right. We may not survive Trump.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

True, but his disapproval is above 50% at this point, only 8 days in (which is a record many times over).  I think the segment of the population that loves him will find itself smaller than it thinks, probably about 35% of the voting public, or about 20% of the total population.  If a truly impeachable offense rises to the surface, the division may be harsh, but it won't be enough to protect him.

There's the usual 40 to 45% who oppose Trump since he's on the other side of issues. Then another 5 to 10% who either can't stand Trump or are appalled, horrified at what he's doing. There's probably 50% of the country that will never support Trump.  If things really get bad, Trump will be down to just the Trumpsters that voted him in.

Does this ****s paranoia know NO bounds? He want to ban everyone that's ever said anything against him on social media?

White House discussing asking foreign visitors for social media info and cell phone contacts - CNNPolitics.com

Seriously, you'll end up with the lowest number of visitors to the US in history during the next horrendous 4 years. 

You haven't got a democratic President in charge. You have a seriously disturbed, paranoid, megalomaniac Dictator! 

Hail. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Even if Trump gets impeached, do we really want Pence as our President? He's not much better. In fact he might be worse. Dude thinks you can "cure" homosexuality by electrocuting them.

Yes. While he may be an asshole conservative, he's most likely not a demagogue and mad man that's going to get us nuked.

• Like 4