Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: What Salary going forward for Kirk Cousins

ZRagone

no one wants him, he sucks. I wouldnt pay him in a pile of a cow dunk, he hasnt showed anything yet. he turns the ball over all the time, cant throw the ball deep, and has horrible decisions. not sure why anyone likes him to begin with, but I guess there is other garbage QB's that start the games. 

This is why I hang around ES.

Where else on the interwebs can you find this amount of articulate, insightful commentary.

I feel smarter every time I visit.

Well done sir !

Well, he probably lost a few million dollars he gained last week....

And he made it back up yesterday and then some. ;)

Cousins on the radio (today) said he has not heard anything from his agent about any contract talks. Also said he is really not worried about that as his focus right now is the job at hand. And he kept on repeating that his focus is his current job. 

How do you not like this guy. Pay him well if we go to the playoffs. Cousins and the coach, so far, looks like will be back. Continuity and keep on building a team that can compete in every game all the way to the SB is what I want. I have been patients for so long what is another couple of more years. I will be worth it! :)

Cousins is going to break the bank. NFL QB play has never been worse. Watch games, not just highlights. 

The game is just way too fast for so many QBs now. It isn't for Kirk. Not to mention he's doing it under immense pressure -- seriously every throw seems to be a referendum on his career. Dude wasn't even the starter until week 3 of the preseason. He's going to get PAID.

If he keeps it up, his agent is going to ask for at least 15 million a year. The market is what it is.

It will be a long negotiation with the Skins looking for outs (a la Kapernick) and being okay with franchising him if need be (they can do without sweating; tons of cap room).

Cousins is going to break the bank. NFL QB play has never been worse. Watch games, not just highlights.

The game is just way too fast for so many QBs now. It isn't for Kirk. Not to mention he's doing it under immense pressure -- seriously every throw seems to be a referendum on his career. Dude wasn't even the starter until week 3 of the preseason. He's going to get PAID.

If he keeps it up, his agent is going to ask for at least 15 million a year. The market is what it is.

It will be a long negotiation with the Skins looking for outs (a la Kapernick) and being okay with franchising him if need be (they can do without sweating; tons of cap room).

Unfortunately this is true. It's not that I think Kirk is worth that much but with the modern game being what it is, teams just don't have options. Look at what Flacco and Cutler got.

i am not good at contracts and numbers with NFL players mainly because the whole thing is exceedingly dumb and there is nothing more annoying than a "cap expert" fan... I digress... But Kirk will get a big contract if not here somewhere else

Unfortunately this is true. It's not that I think Kirk is worth that much but with the modern game being what it is, teams just don't have options. Look at what Flacco and Cutler got.

i am not good at contracts and numbers with NFL players mainly because the whole thing is exceedingly dumb and there is nothing more annoying than a "cap expert" fan... I digress... But Kirk will get a big contract if not here somewhere else

I just equated Cousins to Flacco to a family member this weekend.  He's turning into a good game manager.  He's not ever going to be Tom Brady or the old Peyton Manning, but a good game manager.

All I know is that we can't let him test free agency; there will surely be a bidding war. Unfortunately, I fear his agent realizes this too. On top of that, the remaining schedule is against a bunch of bad defenses, so there's a good chance he will play well and possibly lead the team to the division title. Talk about having the upper hand in negotiation...

He's 27, this is the year of his career when he lands the big contract. I don't see us getting him for anything less than $68M for 4 years; I'd take that gladly. This team desperately needs to put an end to the 20 year quarterback carousel. 

Absolutely no incentive for Kirk to talk negotiations at this point in time.  The better he plays, the better his salary.  It is in his best interest not to even listen to it, play well, and enjoy an off-season where you know big bucks are coming.  At his current rate, he is probably looking at around 15 million a year after incentives.  If we do not pony up the cash, someone else certainly will.  

Yeah, as it stands right now Kirk Cousins has played better than about half the leagues starters... Teams without a long term solution such as Cleveland, Houston, And NYJ will definitely be in the mix. There will be no shortage of suitors for Cousins services so Kirk receiving at least $15 mil a year and maybe more depending on how the last 5 games go. With that said, assuming things go well for Kirk and the Redskins to end the season, it will be nice to lock him up, not have any questions who is the starter and focus on adding pieces around him to help. I just hope whatever the dollar figure is, the Redskins set the contract up in such a way that the Skins can get out of it if Kirk doesn't continue to perform.

Just remember: Skins were prepared to pay RG3 16 million next year if he played remotely well.

KC's agent won't forget.

I don't think RG3's option will have any bearing on what Kirk gets.

Its been made pretty clear by the franchise that they picked up the option because they felt they had to...at the time.  The moment they gave Kirk the keys they stopped dressing him and has been inactive every Sunday.  While many think its due to potential injury or that Colt's the better option, I think even moreso its to help Kirk.  I'm sure the coaching staff and GM saw what happened when "the guy" has someone else breathing down their neck...not good.  The noise for RG3 would have been much louder early on in the season had he been #2. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/01/falcons-owe-matt-ryan-more-than-50-million-over-the-next-three-years/

Posting on iPad. Well PFT went there. Speculation that the Falcons will Perdue Captain Kirk.

That is such a stupid article. Nothing against you for posting it, it's good fodder.

But that's really dumb. If Ryan goes, Shanahan goes. Falcons fans loved Shanahan the first six weeks of the season but they already hate him now. If he can't succeed with Ryan, who is very obviously at the very least an above average QB, why would they keep him around to start over, never mind invest in another QB specifically BECAUSE of their connection...when they have no guarantee that if it was working, he wouldn't just leave for a HC opportunity elsewhere?

If Shanahan is fired after this year, for whatever reason...on his next team, he'll be on his 5th OC job in like 7 or 8 years. Regardless of how brainy everyone thinks he is, that's not a good thing. I'm not sure he's the type of coach a team ties themselves to by bringing in Cousins.

And that's setting aside the fact that if Cousins finishes strong, we aren't letting him get anywhere near open FA.

"If Cousins finishes out the season playing about as well as Brady, we should pay him what Brady is getting paid" - Redskins fans.

Well to be fair, if Kirk continues like this, I'd sign him for what Tom Brady is getting paid this year pretty much immediately. Hell, even if he regresses a little I'd probably do that deal.

Yeah, as it stands right now Kirk Cousins has played better than about half the leagues starters... Teams without a long term solution such as Cleveland, Houston, And NYJ will definitely be in the mix. There will be no shortage of suitors for Cousins services so Kirk receiving at least $15 mil a year and maybe more depending on how the last 5 games go. With that said, assuming things go well for Kirk and the Redskins to end the season, it will be nice to lock him up, not have any questions who is the starter and focus on adding pieces around him to help. I just hope whatever the dollar figure is, the Redskins set the contract up in such a way that the Skins can get out of it if Kirk doesn't continue to perform.

I'm feeling like we'll probably get something done right before the final Dallas game, if not sooner.  Plus, KC is a restricted FA this year which means that we will be compensated heavily (I believe 2 first round picks) if he goes anywhere else.  Not sure teams are going to be so willing to part with such important picks.  Having said that, we should not low-ball Kirk in hopes that other teams won't pick him up in FA - he has definitely exceeded expectations and has really grown this season.  I'm a big fan of his.

I'm feeling like we'll probably get something done right before the final Dallas game, if not sooner.  Plus, KC is a restricted FA this year which means that we will be compensated heavily (I believe 2 first round picks) if he goes anywhere else. 

Totally false.  As of March 15 he is a free agent and can go anywhere, and we get nothing for it.  We have had four years of his services at an extremely cheap price; not his fault we chose to waste three of them.

The last day for us to apply the franchise tag is March 7th, so that's the real deadline.

Archived