Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: What Salary going forward for Kirk Cousins

ZRagone

If they overpay Cousins by 20, 30 or even 40% I don't care!  It is mice nuts compared with the 20 years of QB instability.  Cousins will at least be decent/average for 3 or 4 years and might be significantly better . I think the value a of stable QB situation as SM and JG rebuild the team is huge. Make the offer now and get it done! I don't care whether this is a smart transaction, I just don't want Cousins to leave to a better franchise or a team willing to pay more.  Don't try to be clever on this one, just get it done.

The Redskins enjoy a home team advantage with Cousins but maybe not.  How did he feel riding the pine with no chance to compete with Griffin for 3 1/2 years?  Is Snyder going to keep Gruden?  If Cousins finishes strong, puts another 5-7 quality starts in the books I see this going to FA and who knows how that comes out.  The Redskins have their best chance of locking him up now. Overpay, overcommit and get it done!

This was on the front page of spotrac.com

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/contract-forecast-kirk-cousins-558/

They are predicting 3 years, $34 million w/ $13.4 million guaranteed

No way. They don't take the current market conditions into account. If he continues playing at the same level (ESPN has him on pace for 4000 yards/25 TDs/16 ints) and hits free agency, the bidding war is going to go higher than 11M/season.

I'm always shocked at how much mediocre to below average QBs get. Look at how much Josh McCown has gotten the last two years from the Bucs and Browns. As to Cousins, these last 7 games are going to be very important for him. Up until last week, his numbers looked very pedestrian. And he did rip up the Saints awful defense, but not sure that says too much. The list is long of guys who looked good for 5-10 game stretches. The aforementioned Josh McCown is one great example. Another recent one is Nick Foles. Remember when some people thought he was good? And I'm not sure Cousins is even to that level.

Personally, I don't commit any significant assets to Cousins unless I think he's the answer. And to date, I don't think he is. He seems like a viable stop-gap, but not the solution. I do realize every team wants QBs. But the free agent market for a guy like Cousins shouldn't be that robust. A fair number of teams either have their starter in place or have a young guy they want to groom. how many teams will legitly be looking for QBs? I did a rough scan of the league and I've come up: Philadelphia, San Francisco, St. Louis, Buffalo, New York Jets, Cleveland, Houston, and Denver. And some of those are only maybes. Some will also draft QBs in the first round. So we're probably talking at maybe 5 places at best. Maybe one of them throws big money at Kirk. But if he's not the solution, I'm not sure that's a smart move. To date, Cousins looks something like a Ryan Fitzpatrick more than anything. He has 7 games to show me he's more than that.

how many teams will legitly be looking for QBs? I did a rough scan of the league and I've come up: Philadelphia, San Francisco, St. Louis, Buffalo, New York Jets, Cleveland, Houston, and Denver. And some of those are only maybes. Some will also draft QBs in the first round. So we're probably talking at maybe 5 places at best. Maybe one of them throws big money at Kirk. But if he's not the solution, I'm not sure that's a smart move. To date, Cousins looks something like a Ryan Fitzpatrick more than anything. He has 7 games to show me he's more than that.

How many teams does it take to have a bidding war? It only takes two to tango. Pay me now or pay me later, hopefully the "pay me now" approach will be a little more team friendly. We will still need to sign/re-sign others. 

How many teams will legitly be looking for QBs? I did a rough scan of the league and I've come up: Philadelphia, San Francisco, St. Louis, Buffalo, New York Jets, Cleveland, Houston, and Denver. And some of those are only maybes.

Don't forget Washington....

To date, Cousins looks something like a Ryan Fitzpatrick more than anything

He is going to get a big contract too this offseason.

framed193idiocracy8.jpg

The last 1/4 of the season will define the market price. Skins aren't afraid to pay market value. KC isn't going anywhere.

If he deserves 11-15 million per year then he'll get it. If he doesn't or it's questionable then he won't. Any contract he does get will be voidable after 3 yrs and will be cap friendly. Book it!

They picked up an option valued at 16 million.  Clearly at this point, he's never going to see that money.

I don't see how Roberts option has anything to do with a multi-year contract for Kirk.

The franchise tag and Kirk really don't belong in the same sentence until he takes us to the playoffs at minimum.

Unless Mike or Kyle get a head coaching job, I don't see how Kirk gets paid top money in free agency.  That or as I said above, he wins several more games, taking this team to the playoffs on the strength of his arm.

So lets say someone offer Cousins say 5 years at 85 mill. Are you going to let him walk. Not a chance. We will franchise him.

If they overpay Cousins by 20, 30 or even 40% I don't care!  It is mice nuts compared with the 20 years of QB instability.  Cousins will at least be decent/average for 3 or 4 years and might be significantly better . I think the value a of stable QB situation as SM and JG rebuild the team is huge. Make the offer now and get it done! I don't care whether this is a smart transaction, I just don't want Cousins to leave to a better franchise or a team willing to pay more.  Don't try to be clever on this one, just get it done.

The Redskins enjoy a home team advantage with Cousins but maybe not.  How did he feel riding the pine with no chance to compete with Griffin for 3 1/2 years?  Is Snyder going to keep Gruden?  If Cousins finishes strong, puts another 5-7 quality starts in the books I see this going to FA and who knows how that comes out.  The Redskins have their best chance of locking him up now. Overpay, overcommit and get it done!

Agreed. We can win the guy. Let Scott build the team around him and we are going to be good. Will Cousins still make mistakes? Absolutely. As Geico would say its what middle of the road QB's do. But Kirk has proven multiple times this season that he can come back and win games with his arm.

The last 1/4 of the season will define the market price. Skins aren't afraid to pay market value. KC isn't going anywhere.

If he deserves 11-15 million per year then he'll get it. If he doesn't or it's questionable then he won't. Any contract he does get will be voidable after 3 yrs and will be cap friendly. Book it!

Sorry. He has already earned 11-15 mill per season from someone. There is a team out there that is going to pay Cousins. And they will pay him huge. What he does the rest of the season only has the chance to raise that number at this point.

They aren't going to franchise Kirk and he hasn't earned big money based off of an up and down season. People are shooting from the hip based off of the emotional high from the saints game. And if some team decides they want to offer him $17 mil. than you let him go. Obviously not ideal but you simply cannot give in and franchise him at over $20+ mil.

What I think ultimately happens is Kirk and the team come to reasonable terms on an 2-3 year deal. With options for both the team and Kirk. If he plays poorly they can easily get out of it and if he plays great he can renegotiate. People have got to stop acting like he's been an pro bowl performer all year and teams are going to go crazy to get him. He's been far too up and down for that to be the case.

They aren't going to franchise Kirk and he hasn't earned big money based off of an up and down season. People are shooting from the hip based off of the emotional high from the saints game. And if some team decides they want to offer him $17 mil. than you let him go. Obviously not ideal but you simply cannot give in and franchise him at over $20+ mil.

What I think ultimately happens is Kirk and the team come to reasonable terms on an 2-3 year deal. With options for both the team and Kirk. If he plays poorly they can easily get out of it and if he plays great he can renegotiate. People have got to stop acting like he's been an pro bowl performer all year and teams are going to go crazy to get him. He's been far too up and down for that to be the case.

What is a reasonable 2-3 year deal? 

Shooting from the hip based off the Saints game? Go back and read my posts from 3 weeks ago. Your crazy if you think he wont be the number one free agent on the market next year regardless what he does the rest of the year.

And you really want to let our best QB prospect since Theismann go for 3 or 4 mill$? If your willing to pay him 15 or 16 you will franchise him for 20 or 21 before letting him leave.

Shooting from the hip based off the Saints game? Go back and read my posts from 3 weeks ago. Your crazy if you think he wont be the number one free agent on the market next year regardless what he does the rest of the year.

And you really want to let our best QB prospect since Theismann go for 3 or 4 mill$? If your willing to pay him 15 or 16 you will franchise him for 20 or 21 before letting him leave.

I don't agree with any of this. I mean what do you want me to say? I've already stated my case as to why I dont agree with your train of thought. You're clearly emotionally invested in Kirk, considering I was the same way with Robert it's pretty easy to recognize.

I think you are missing a very real possibility in terms of franchising. They can always tag him then sign him to long term deal before he actually signs the franchise contract. It gives the team and Cousins time to complete the negotiations. It also gives the team some leverage if they think he is the guy. Someone would have to give us 2 1st rd picks to sign him. I just do not see anyone that crazy. So it mostly gives the team and Cousins time to negotiate.

As far as letting him walk if someone pays $17M/yr, how do you know that is too much? With all due respect I believe that opinion comes from not thinking Cousins is the long term answer. If the FO thinks he is the guy or at least that he deserves 2016, they will pay it. In today's game, you can't let a QB go for $3M or $4M if you think he has a chance to be your long term solution. 

Taylor703...instead of quoting you.

And say he wants 18M × 5 years with 50M guaranteed? Or the 17 x 5? And gets offered that? We "let him go" like you said.

What's your backup plan for QB?

Salary cap is going up

QB prices are going up

Now it's a bit high...later it won't be

I am a big Cousins fan and I am in the "overpay him if you have to" boat, BUT it is important to remember that if he goes somewhere and signs a huge contract, depending on how much is spent on his replacement and other FA's, we could receive a small treasure in compensatory picks. With the recent announcement that they will now be trade-able, that increases their value as well. Just food for thought.

Taylor703...instead of quoting you.

And say he wants 18M × 5 years with 50M guaranteed? Or the 17 x 5? And gets offered that? We "let him go" like you said.

What's your backup plan for QB?

Salary cap is going up

QB prices are going up

Now it's a bit high...later it won't be

My back up plan would be McCown, Fitzpatrick or McCoy for one season. Maybe you draft someone like Jacoby Brisett or Connor Cook in the second round to sit behind a vet for a year or you start fresh with an first round QB in 2017. One that would come aboard a team that is much more talented that won't need to rely on the QBs play immediately like the 2012 team.

My feelings, right now as of this moment, are that I wouldn't pay Kirk big money. However if he continues playing well that opinion could and will most likely change by the end of the year.

I am a big Cousins fan and I am in the "overpay him if you have to" boat, BUT it is important to remember that if he goes somewhere and signs a huge contract, depending on how much is spent on his replacement and other FA's, we could receive a small treasure in compensatory picks. With the recent announcement that they will now be trade-able, that increases their value as well. Just food for thought.

If Cousins is worth re-signing to our FO, he's worth more than a late 3rd, and that's the best we would get for him assuming we didn't go crazy on other FA's.

no one wants him, he sucks. I wouldnt pay him in a pile of a cow dunk, he hasnt showed anything yet. he turns the ball over all the time, cant throw the ball deep, and has horrible decisions. not sure why anyone likes him to begin with, but I guess there is other garbage QB's that start the games. 

no one wants him, he sucks. I wouldnt pay him in a pile of a cow dunk, he hasnt showed anything yet. he turns the ball over all the time, cant throw the ball deep, and has horrible decisions. not sure why anyone likes him to begin with, but I guess there is other garbage QB's that start the games.

He is good on at home, bad on the road. Maybe that's growth. I mean, would you rather have Matt Kassel or Sanchez back there at QB. I wouldnt....

There's a reason the panthers are 9-0 and luck had little to do with it.

Archived