Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: What Salary going forward for Kirk Cousins

ZRagone

Well there is this lol...

The Interceptable Passes Project

At least that is seemingly an analysis of every QB, which allows one to take a more macro level view than attempting to distil a single QB's performance in that area and then comparing it to the standard type of metrics for other QBs. It'd also be interesting to know what an "interceptable pass" is, as I would think such a thing would actually take into account both sides of the equation....passes that clearly could've been intercepted and weren't AND passes that were absolutely on point but were able to be intercepted because of a mistake unrelated to the actual throw (receiver bobbles it/pops it up and it goes to the defense for example).

According to ESPN, he is on pace for 21 TD, 18 INT, 3970 yards. A big part of the low TD and yardage totals is the lack od DJax, and that Gruden's passing game is less aggressive this year.

That cuts two ways, though. That's going to equal more INTs. I think one of the reasons Gruden is being so conservative this year and going with lots of shorter routes and more high percentage throws is to (try) an cut down on Kirk's turnovers. When he pushes it down the field he tends to either make much more risky throws (sometimes he obviously trusts his arm too much...he ain't Brett Favre), or is fooled by masked coverages easier.

I doubt he signs a new contract with the Skins.  He does not like this organization.  I think he'd take less and play for another team.

I think if Griffin gets cut next year, that would offer him a ton of incentive to stay on board with us going forward.  Especially if Gruden is retained (and I think he will be).

I doubt he signs a new contract with the Skins.  He does not like this organization.  I think he'd take less and play for another team.

My guess is that he will have to choose between a moderate contract here and a moderate contract somewhere else. Unless he kills it the rest of the season I don't see anyone offering him a huge contract. Too many teams burned in the recent past by gambling on QBs who have flashed but haven't been consistent.

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm the Skins I'm starting negotiations this week. Got to show some intent at least. Don't want Kirk getting his head turned at offers from other teams down the line.

He can't negotiate till FA opens. Can't even be in contact with teams until then, technically, even though we know numbers get discussed earlier in secret. But we'll have plenty of time to negotiate with him with no competitors before FA gets close. People forget that he has many, many reasons to stay here. A QB about to go into the third year of the offense he's had success in, for the coach who went to bat for him and gave him his shot...not an easy thing to leave behind if you want to have a successful career and the money is competitive. Which it will be, if he's earned it.

Im changing my original guess, by a lot. He is going to want a minimum of 18M x5 years 90m with a 65M guarantee...He is stepping up to the plate and improving every game. Hell it could even be 20M x5 years with $75M guaranteed.

We are in a very bad position regarding QB next year...and he knows that. I think he wants to stay, DC is a huge market, he is having real growth and success here. The team is growing and gelling. But I think he is smart enough, and after the RG3 catastrophe? He is going to say "show me the money"

The thing is that the cap will be going up significantly over the next 5 years and we are in a strong position (50M?) so we will be able to afford it. He is going to want more than Trents contract...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams/

60M guaranteed ? That seems extremely unlikely.

3 years 40M. 20M guaranteed.

Player option after year 3.

Good luck signing him for that...there will be serious interest in him from other teams and we are ****ed if we don't sign him. It is a perfect storm for KC.

Good luck signing him for that...there will be serious interest in him from other teams and we are ****ed if we don't sign him. It is a perfect storm for KC.

If maintians hs level of performance and we cant agree a long term deal we can always use the franchise tag. Costly in both cash and cap terms but that actually might not be a bad thing to do - see if he can string two good years together and continue to develop.

It makes as much sense for the Redskins to try and start negotiating with Kirk after a game like this as it made for Kirk to try and start negotiating with the Redskins after a game like the Jets.

It's bad and stupid business, even if it could happen.

Kirk is showing the he is in the top half of QBs in the league and he's improving.  There's going to be at least one desperate team willing to throw him a bunch of money.  The Skins will just have to be resigned to the fact that keeping Kirk is going to cost a lot of money.

Kirk is going to be able to say that his numbers are just as good as Flacco's, Cutlers', Ryan's, Tannehill's, and Alex Smith's and that he's got upside.  He's going to want to get paid.

Kirk is showing the he is in the top half of QBs in the league and he's improving.  There's going to be at least one desperate team willing to throw him a bunch of money.  The Skins will just have to be resigned to the fact that keeping Kirk is going to cost a lot of money.

Kirk is going to be able to say that his numbers are just as good as Flacco's, Cutlers', Ryan's, Tannehill's, and Alex Smith's and that he's got upside.  He's going to want to get paid.

I had erroneously posted this in the KC is the man thread, it belongs here:

Sometimes with a QB, it's all in the eyes. I remember J.Campbell looking lost and confused at times. KC had a similar look last year against the Giants. "Deer in the headlights" look. Those days are gone, even against adversity Cousins has looked  poised and ready to lead. He has matured into what we thought was lost. It appears that we will have to pay market price to retain his services next year. Those that argue $7-9 mill/year are fooling themselves. Brace yourselves. Piper prices have risen significantly, but for years we've been hoping to dance.

I realise the importance that salary has to cap implications, but if Kirk is what we think he is and is a legitimate winning quarterback in this league (I know we're not quite at the point of knowing that for sure yet but hear me out please folks) I don't see what the issue is of paying him top dollar

You don't start trying to cheap skate your way to finding a contending qb in this league - look how much we've paid on 'other' qbs, only to be short changed with the finished product and now some people are worried that now we have what we need it's going to hurt financially and they're baulking

I'll take any money on a bet, that you don't get this debate on an Packers forum -

A lot on this thread is still trying to break Kirk's game down to provide good reasons not to pay the going rate (and I'm (still) an RGIII homer).

Put up. Pay up. And work the rest of the team around what's left - the rest of the NFL does it, we are not a special snowflake - just be happy we've lucked into what we have

Kirk is showing the he is in the top half of QBs in the league and he's improving. There's going to be at least one desperate team willing to throw him a bunch of money. The Skins will just have to be resigned to the fact that keeping Kirk is going to cost a lot of money.

Kirk is going to be able to say that his numbers are just as good as Flacco's, Cutlers', Ryan's, Tannehill's, and Alex Smith's and that he's got upside. He's going to want to get paid.

And if he doesn't get resigned our options are? What does everyone say including GMSM? Grow and sign our own? KC is going to want security which = $$$$

Archived