Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: What Salary going forward for Kirk Cousins

ZRagone

I don't think RG3's option will have any bearing on what Kirk gets.

Its been made pretty clear by the franchise that they picked up the option because they felt they had to...at the time.  The moment they gave Kirk the keys they stopped dressing him and has been inactive every Sunday.  While many think its due to potential injury or that Colt's the better option, I think even moreso its to help Kirk.  I'm sure the coaching staff and GM saw what happened when "the guy" has someone else breathing down their neck...not good.  The noise for RG3 would have been much louder early on in the season had he been #2. 

I think Colt runs this offense better than Griffin does and that is why he's the number 2. But I do agree it would be harder on Kirk if Griffin was the back up.

I think Colt runs this offense better than Griffin does and that is why he's the number 2. But I do agree it would be harder on Kirk if Griffin was the back up.

Griffin has handled this whole thing like a true class act.  I don't know if I agree with you about that.

Totally false.  As of March 15 he is a free agent and can go anywhere, and we get nothing for it.  We have had four years of his services at an extremely cheap price; not his fault we chose to waste three of them.

The last day for us to apply the franchise tag is March 7th, so that's the real deadline.

I entirely agree on the fact that we wasted 3 years on Kirk. But we made a choice at the time and have to live with it. But if he ends up as a FA it doesn't necessarily means he won't be back in 2016. We may have to go into a bidding war. Which may be what he and his agent are looking for. Right now, he's the one with the upper hand in any upcoming negotiations. Everything is up to me, except for the franchise Tag.

Griffin has handled this whole thing like a true class act.

Agree 100%. Wish nothing for him but the best.

From Cousins is the Man:

We're talking about a guy who started 3 years at Michigan State. Voted captain for 3 years. Kirk didn't make it this far by being timid. If he was timid or mentally weak then there is no way he would come back from the demotion of last year.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the Rex Grossman talk by this fan base tiresome and not accurate.

So which one is it? Is he mentally tough enough to handle the pressure or will it be hard for him? This is the kind of double talk that really makes you scratch your head. Alexa is not the only person, it's just the most blatant example I could find.

The fact is both of these are true, but the second statement is a clear attempt to defend him, and IMO for no reason. First, no one ever called him mentally weak, at least not in ES and certainly not lately. In terms of being timid, why would he not be timid? For 3 yrs he was told the job he currently holds was someone else's. Now it's his and that other person is still on the team! It's like you replacing someone at work in a key position because they failed. but not only are they not fired they are still on your team! There is nothing wrong with that causing you to sweat. It's a human response.

For Roberts part he has been extremely professional, as have Colt and Kirk I might add. It's the fans and media who takes there things and tries to create their own reality.

I think Kirk will get somewhere around Ryan Tannahill money, probably a bit south of it. Considering that Tannahill has a few years under his belt.

I'm not a KC Fan, I "STILL" do not believe Kirk is the long term answer (I hope he proves me wrong). But he is our best option for 2016/17.

If possible I would trade RG3, to an AFC team 7th round, conditional 7th round what ever, just dont release him. I think he would go straight to Dallas.

Sign KC, Resign McCoy, Draft a mid round QB to sit and learn behind KC\McCoy.

Get him a tall speedy WR.

I think Kirk will get somewhere around Ryan Tannahill money, probably a bit south of it. Considering that Tannahill has a few years under his belt.

I'm not a KC Fan, I "STILL" do not believe Kirk is the long term answer (I hope he proves me wrong). But he is our best option for 2016/17.

If possible I would trade RG3, to an AFC team 7th round, conditional 7th round what ever, just dont release him. I think he would go straight to Dallas.

Sign KC, Resign McCoy, Draft a mid round QB to sit and learn behind KC\McCoy.

Get him a tall speedy WR.

No team is going to give up anything for RG3 because they will call our bluff. They know there is no way we will keep him around for $16 Million. He's going to walk. Just accept it.

Right now Cousins is our best short AND long term answer. Who out there is better? This years QB draft class is very weak and you're probably talking about guys that don't project to be much better then Cousins already is. And QBs are never available in FA(unless you want geriatric Peyton Manning, no thanks).

no one wants him, he sucks. I wouldnt pay him in a pile of a cow dunk, he hasnt showed anything yet. he turns the ball over all the time, cant throw the ball deep, and has horrible decisions. not sure why anyone likes him to begin with, but I guess there is other garbage QB's that start the games. 

You know you have the Kirk Cousins Fathead on your wall, stop fighting it.

I am a big Cousins fan and I am in the "overpay him if you have to" boat, BUT it is important to remember that if he goes somewhere and signs a huge contract, depending on how much is spent on his replacement and other FA's, we could receive a small treasure in compensatory picks. With the recent announcement that they will now be trade-able, that increases their value as well. Just food for thought.

He was selected in the 4th round (Not sure why so many people say the 3rd), so the best we can get for him is a 4th rd pick, and it's just 1. You can't get multiple compensatory picks for one player.

The better he plays, the better there the chance of either a contract signed shortly before the March 7th Franchise Tag date or he will get tagged and contract agreed to before he signs the tag contract.

no one wants him, he sucks. I wouldnt pay him in a pile of a cow dunk, he hasnt showed anything yet. he turns the ball over all the time, cant throw the ball deep, and has horrible decisions. not sure why anyone likes him to begin with, but I guess there is other garbage QB's that start the games. 

It's 2015 not 2014 ---  May want to seek a little therapy to take care of those anger issues....  Just a thought.

Of course, Kirk has done very well, well enough to get a long term contract. Robert will be released and we will look for a developmental QB in the mid to later rds for the PS.

^This is what I mean about posters here needing Cousins to play like Brady, and then wanting him to sign an laughably low deal like the one Brady has. 

Cousins is going to get more than $12M/year in the free market, regardless of whether or not this mediocre team manages to win our dumpster fire of a division.

O0BmJug.png

Unfortunately, near every team overpays at the QB position.  Honestly, the best value out there right now are guys like Fitzpatrick and Hoyer.  2 QB's that outside of years of experience, are very similar to Cousins.  They get 4 or 5 mill, vs. the 17-20 you expect to pay for kids who haven't really done much yet.

Fitzpatrick has already signed one 60 million dollar contract. And he will get another one this offseason most lilely

Anyone still thinking he should be happy at a 8-10 mil/year 4 year deal are coo-coo. See Matt Flynn, Matt Cassel for 1 game, 1/2 season wonders. IF...IF we happen to win division, I would think 16 mil a year might be his sides low ball number. 

Anyone still thinking he should be happy at a 8-10 mil/year 4 year deal are coo-coo. See Matt Flynn, Matt Cassel for 1 game, 1/2 season wonders. IF...IF we happen to win division, I would think 16 mil a year might be his sides low ball number. 

I think they could probably sign him long term for 13-15 mill. Maybe a 5 year 60 to 65 mill deal. That would be great for the Redskins IMO. I had Kirk getting at least 10 mill per season 6 weeks ago in this thread. His value has definitely risen since then. If I'm his agent he is going to free agency regardless of what the Redskins offer now. Make the team franchise him if they want to keep him and dont want to pony up for a long term deal.

I think they could probably sign him long term for 13-15 mill. Maybe a 5 year 60 to 65 mill deal. That would be great for the Redskins IMO.

Yeah, because it's still lowballing him. He might be dumb enough to agree to that, but his agent isn't.

If I'm his agent he is going to free agency regardless of what the Redskins offer now. Make the team franchise him if they want to keep him and dont want to pony up for a long term deal.

Now you're getting it.  Any negotiation between the Redskins and Cousins is going to start with the assumption that we are going to franchise tag him.  Because if we don't, he walks.  

Yeah, because it's still lowballing him. He might be dumb enough to agree to that, but his agent isn't.

Now you're getting it.  Any negotiation between the Redskins and Cousins is going to start with the assumption that we are going to franchise tag him.  Because if we don't, he walks.  

There is A LOT of security in a 60-65 mill contract. Gotta figure at least 55% of it will be guaranteed through bonus money. SO it isnt really that far fetched.

Some will be apoplectic by this but the following is IMO likely to be what the contract will look like below:

It's a 5 yr, $80M contract with $35M Guaranteed. He gets paid up front but it's team friendly on the back end. We get to decide when he is at 30 what we want to do.

Year Age   Base             Signing        Roster      Workout

Salary             Bonus        Bonus          Bonus        Cap Hit        Dead Cap

2016  28   $3,000,000     $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000    $6,400,000

2017  29   $10,000,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000   $13,400,000 $30,000,000

2018  30   $12,000,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000   $15,400,000 $18,000,000

2019  31   $18,800,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000   $22,200,000 $4,000,000

2020  32   $20,000,000   $2,000,000   $1,000,000   $400,000   $23,400,000 $2,000,000    

$63,800,000    $10,000,000    $5,000,000    $2,000,000   $80,800,000

^I love posts like this.  It would be good to compare to the final contract.

I didn't realize Cousins is so "old". 

Just thought it might be a fun exercise to put out more than a few random numbers, maybe try to set what would look like an actual contract. I would think anything within 10 to 15% of the final contract has to be considered a pretty good guestimate.

I be glad to post a direct comparison once there is an actual contract.

Interesting.  The signing bonus is too low. 

Prediction: If he signs with us, his signing bonus plus 2016 salary is going to be more than 25M.

Maybe. If there are two things that are questionable it's probably the bonus and the guaranteed money (also may be low). But if you look at a few of the long term deals SM has done this is very similar to those. I also looked at some of the more recent contracts (RW, Kap) as templates. It's all set up to allow the team to cut ties or restructure after 2 years. If you restructure you put the final two salaries into signing bonus then, extend the ears and keep the cap hit down. SM is very good at getting team friendly contracts signed.

I would also add that a bigger signing bonus would result in a shorter contract. That's certainly possible, but I looked at 5 yrs. Again, it's obviously just a guess. I certainly have no inside information.

Something else to consider, if we are coming off the playoffs, yes someone may offer him a boat load of money, but they are likely to be a dumpster fire of an organization. He just went through 4 yrs of that ****. Does he want to do it again for money? he does not strike me as that type of guy, despite what his agent may want him to do.

What does your guess at a contract look like?

Archived