Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: What Salary going forward for Kirk Cousins

ZRagone

definit

Aint gonna happen at 16M a year, IMO. Bradford got 18M for two years

The 5 years 18 mill was accurate until the 2nd day of free agency when Brock Osweiler got 72 mil and Bradford got 32 mil over 2 years.  However I bellieve Flacco who is a sb mvp and a very good qb in his own right has an average salary through 2021 of about 20-22 million per season.  For cousins to get more than that would be ridiculous. 

well now that he is tagged, I feel he and his agent will look around and see no one will come even close to what they are asking (especially since they will need to give up 2 firsts).  So after the draft I think we will do a long term deal with him.

Now my only fear is some team like the Browns, saying lets do this.  hell they have already wasted two number one picks on QBs in the past 3 years and they still have no QB.

Ooops! The QB market went even higher than I thought it would. Brock getting 18 Mill per has thrown a serious monkey wrench in the Skins plans I would imagine.

I certainly hope so. But that will also be tons of pressure on him all year. So what do we do if he goes back to being mediocre? Not necessarily horrible but definitely not great...like he was before he blew up the second half of last season. Do we still pay him? If so, how much?

Well what is the alternative?  if he is like  the first half of the season he is still good enough to build on and hope he improves.  Because who is out there that will do better?  Colt?  I don't think so.  And the trick there is if we point out he regressed so we offer less he will not sign, then what?  you tag him again for 24 million?  no way.  in other words we are stuck and I can see us giving him a deal this year for close to 18-20 per.  People in here better get used to those numbers....

I would imagine you really have to go by percentage of cap. These numbers are just pulled out of thin air, but say an elite gets 20% of cap, a solid starter gets say 16% of cap and also rans 10% or less. To tuely know if these numbers are out of whack you would have to see the real percentages and apply them to the increased cap. Surprising a reporter haven't done this yet.

• 4 weeks later...

As do most qbs

I remember and then rob got tackled, "now it's Kirk's"

And Kirk better feel some loyalty....we did draft the dude 4ph round after betting everything else......,you know, before any other organization wanted him

Loyalty to who?  The coach that drafted him?  The owner that forced the coaches to sit him on the bench even though he was a better player?  The position coaches that didn't even tell him he wouldn't be able to compete for a job?

Good job in drafting him but the Redskins have screwed up developing him.  Why should he have any loyalty?

Maybe those relationships can be healed over time.  Winning can cure a lot of ills, but right now I don't see any reason for Kirk to have loyalty to this organization.

I put Kirk's "loyalty-o-meter" at around a 6 out of 10.  Meaning that, pay being equal, we just barely break ties against other teams, over 50% of the time, but there are still situations where he would obviously go in fantasyland (hopefully at least) circumstances, such as an equal offer from stalwart teams like GB, NE, PIT, etc.

I think even in poisonous relationship analogies, Kirk still would cling to the idea of remaining on the same team his whole career, like many others would like to.  I think that within the organization the coaches have always liked him, and over multiple regimes that almost means more than just 1 regime having thought so because it's a larger sample size.  The last major thing being that he's had the most impressive season in recent redskins history so he knows he "can" succeed here since he's done it already vs. somewhere else. 

The things that drop it to a 6 are the obvious - the still not quite hunky dory situation of Snyder being the owner with multiple instances of showing favoritism to players, as well as the general poor upper management structure that still exists with the owner and has only recently started to transform from the FO perspective thanks to SM being here.  Meaning we don't have a proven track record of this "positive" change yet by any means. 

I can be talked into more of a 5.5/10 now that he just got the FT from us, but a superb season like last years will change all that since we'd "fix" things by dumping stacks of benjamins in his yard.  If he has a truly poor season than who cares about his loyalty because he would be gone anyways. hehehehe.

Remember also that the organization didn't see the need for a QB coach, so Kirk had to hire his own personal QB coach midseason.

Why would you have loyalty to a mess like that?

Hmmm....  Revisionist history at it's best:  http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/redskinsblog/cousins-says-personal-qb-coach-helped-him-refine-his-game-last-year

Kirk got some additional help because he realized he needed to take advantage of his time as a 3rd string QB who had in his own words been rightfully demoted. He did what good athletes do. He got additional help. It's a simple as that. Turning this into some sort of him being pissed or feeling like he was not being supported by the team if just plain not true.

I really appreciate that our GM Scot McCloughan stated today that he is very comfortable overpaying Cousins if he is an average QB. GM stated to Cousins, and he restated today, that he is working to surround Cousins with talent that will only demand average QB play.

I like the one year at a time program. If Cousins excels in 2016, take care of him. If he is average, reward him. If he is average and demands top dollar that injures the Redskins, we will have options with our GM. We are back to "The Future is Now."

Thanks, Scot.

But the original "the future is now" cost a ton of our draft picks...so I lean towards disagreeing with that, but get your point.

Now is your time, or move over and the next guy will step up.

I like that better! ;)

I don't know how many options we have at QB though, at least right now.

Edited...

Childish response aside you are missing the entire point. You made the implication that he was pissed off that he got help from an outside source which is pure bull****. You have no factual information to support that. Also, while there was not a person labeled as the QBs coach, Jay Gruden was acting as both. Something that was clearly more than he could handle so the next season they hired Matt Cavanaugh. Regardless, the third string QB is not going to get much of their time during the season.

But hey, don't let facts or data get in your way.  

Childish response aside you are missing the entire point. You made the implication that he was pissed off that he got help from an outside source which is pure bull****. You have no factual information to support that. Also, while there was not a person labeled as the QBs coach, Jay Gruden was acting as both. Something that was clearly more than he could handle so the next season they hired Matt Cavanaugh. Regardless, the third string QB is not going to get much of their time during the season.

Nope.  My point is that there's no reason for him to show loyalty to an organization that didn't make any serious effort to develop him until year four, and besides which has been an incompetent ****-show for a couple decades.  Loyalty has to be earned and the Redskins organization did precious little to earn it from Kirk.

He should have loyalty to Shanny for drafting him when the rest of the NFL let him drop to the 4th round... but Shanny doesn't work here any more.

I really appreciate that our GM Scot McCloughan stated today that he is very comfortable overpaying Cousins if he is an average QB. GM stated to Cousins, and he restated today, that he is working to surround Cousins with talent that will only demand average QB play.

I like the one year at a time program. If Cousins excels in 2016, take care of him. If he is average, reward him. If he is average and demands top dollar that injures the Redskins, we will have options with our GM. We are back to "The Future is Now."

Thanks, Scot.

I kinda took that quote to just mean that he will surround him with talent so even if he has an off day we can still be good and it's not all on Kirk's shoulders. I don't think he would be happy overpaying for an average QB tho

Nope.  My point is that there's no reason for him to show loyalty to an organization that didn't make any serious effort to develop him until year four, and besides which has been an incompetent ****-show for a couple decades.  Loyalty has to be earned and the Redskins organization did precious little to earn it from Kirk.

He should have loyalty to Shanny for drafting him when the rest of the NFL let him drop to the 4th round... but Shanny doesn't work here any more.

No loyalty to the coach who ignored his management and a large faction of the fan base to stick his neck out and give Cousins the team? I think Cousins feels a lot of loyalty to Gruden for that. Gruden's ONLY leverage last pre-season when he made the QB change was the number of guaranteed years on his contract. He wasn't a successful coach or all that popular when he made the switch. 

No loyalty to the coach who ignored his management and a large faction of the fan base to stick his neck out and give Cousins the team?

In bold is why Cousins shouldn't be loyal to the organization.  Yes, Gruden gets credit for starting his best QB in an effort to wins enough games to save his head coaching job, but because it was the owner keeping Cousins off the field before that, the team doesn't get credit.

Don't get me wrong, there are good reasons for Cousins to want to stay on this team in 2018 and beyond:

- His teammates love him.

- We are starting to turn into a real organization that players will want to go to (knock on wood).

- He's been successful here and is likely to be even more so in 2016 and 2017. Why change what is working?

However, "loyalty" isn't on that list, nor should it be, because of Snyder's actions during Kirk's first three years here.

Hmmm. Interesting story, should get a lot of clicks. Yet Cole admits to not knowing about this meeting first hand.

Al Galdi: “You mentioned a multi-hour meeting Scot had with Dan regarding the quarterback situation. Did Scot detail something like that to you?

Cole: “No, that’s been detailed to me by other people. Scot didn’t get into that in this conversation.”

So has anyone come forward with first hand knowledge of this alleged meeting? I'd hate to see this become another urban legend that will eventually be assumed to be fact.

Archived