Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: What Salary going forward for Kirk Cousins

ZRagone

ESPN is reporting the Eagles just signed Sam Bradford to a 2 year deal for $36 M, $26 M guaranteed.

They'll end up wishing that they went ahead and signed Cousins last month. Wait until these other guys get close to that, then Luck gets 25Mil and he's going to want over 20.

So would you draft the highest available QB at number 2? If that turns out to be what Mccloughan wants I would release both Jackson and Garçon and let new QB grow with our younger WR. Then spend cap and draft on both lines.

HTTR

It would depend, obviously, on what you think of the QBs and what kind of trade down scenarios present themselves.

My thought would be to take Wentz, but I don't want him playing right away. So sign two other QBs, probably McCoy and someone else.

Getting really into the weeds with this talk, though.

I hope we re-sign Cousins. I think he is going to be a very good QB for the long haul and I hope that's here.

However.... if we were to lose him, getting Cleveland's two 1s, including the second pick this year, isn't exactly the scariest worst case scenario out there.

Well to me it is because I just don't see who the QB for this team will be.  And please don't say RGIII because I am going to throw up.  At least in this system, there is no QB named RGIII for this team.  So basically we are stuck with starting over at the most important position on the field.  is that worth 2 number ones including the 2nd overall pick?  Not to me, I think its a fools Gold.  And we have experience in that don't we as we gave up 3 number ones and a high second round pick for RGIII. 

Now I get it some of you still don't think much of Cousins.  Well I do.  Give me a QB that showed incredible progress, works his tail off, is a super nice guy without a hind of off field issues, well liked by his teammates, releases to ball fast, avoids sacks, doesn't get hurt and I will show you the basis for potentially a great QB.  No having someone like that is not worth the picks to start over at the QB position.

I hope we re-sign Cousins. I think he is going to be a very good QB for the long haul and I hope that's here.

However.... if we were to lose him, getting Cleveland's two 1s, including the second pick this year, isn't exactly the scariest worst case scenario out there.

You continue to be an encyclopedia of wrong.

If the Skins were to lose Cousins they would return to square 1.  As we have seen in the  NFL, one can't win without a top shelf QB. 

Don't rely on Cleveland's 2 1sts.  It's more likely that Cousins would be attractive to a good team and those picks will be 15 or worse.

You continue to be an encyclopedia of wrong.

If the Skins were to lose Cousins they would return to square 1.  As we have seen in the  NFL, one can't win without a top shelf QB. 

Don't rely on Cleveland's 2 1sts.  It's more likely that Cousins would be attractive to a good team and those picks will be 15 or worse.

I'm an "encyclopedia of wrong" because you can't understand what you're replying to? OK then.

No he's not. He has to show quite a bit more for someone to commit 10+ mil to him for multiple years. If he keeps up his good Kirk/bad Kirk play than he'll see somewhere around $5 mil per.

Interested to hear your thoughts these days Taylor :P

Somewhere between stewards and 1st round draft picks.  Between 4 & 5 million per x 3 years max. 

Given your hypothetical, I can't see him getting more than that on the open market.

The great thing is we don't have to assume anything, we get to see it.  I'm sure our GM is much less week to week than our fanbase and won't make any rush to judgment.

Too bad our GM didn't make a "rush to judgment" when they decided he was the starter. Would've saved them quite a pile of cash.

Too bad our GM didn't make a "rush to judgment" when they decided he was the starter. Would've saved them quite a pile of cash.

We're still playing this game?  I know back when Kirk was on a hot streak, we had plenty of "I told you so" going on and most everyone, including myself, ate their crow.

With that said, even if our GM rushed to judgment back then, its not a given that Kirk would have accepted a LTD at that point.  In fact, he wasn't very good at the beginning of the season and would have been stupid to accept an offer considering he could only go up from there.

Also, it appears our GM is still in no rush to judge Kirk.  Otherwise, the rumblings in relation to how far apart they are wouldn't exist and a LTD would be signed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/23986/early-qb-signings-show-why-kirk-cousins-didnt-want-to-settle

Before NFL free agency began, and before Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins signed his franchise tender, the warning was this: You'll be shocked by what his final numbers would be on a long-term deal. He hasn't signed one, of course. But look around the NFL and it's obvious: If you were raised to be an NFL quarterback, even an unproven one, you're going to get paid.

It's why Cousins is OK playing on his one-year franchise tag number of $19.95 million. It's why he didn't have to come down to the Redskins' offer of $16 million per year. Cousins and his agent played it smart: They knew the market; they knew the cap would be increasing this year and next and they knew what it would take to get it done.

Y'all best be prepared for Cousins to play the year on the tag.  If he does sign a contract this year, it's going to be for a jawdropping number.

Does anyone here remember when Gruden said this is Robert's team?  He said it before the preseason in each of the last 2 years.  A lot of people forget that Kirk asked for a trade at the end of last year.  

Kirk has no reason to feel any loyalty to this organization.  Snyder loved Robert and his marketability.  Robert is gone.  Now Kirk is going to extract a big contract.  I mean a really, really big contract.  

Kirk is going to end up getting so much money that this will truly be "Kirk's team".  When Jay said this was "Robert's team".  He just meant Kirk couldn't compete for the job.  Now that it's "Kirk's team", Kirk will, not only be the starting QB, he will also control a large part of the salary cap.  

Does anyone here remember when Gruden said this is Robert's team?  He said it before the preseason in each of the last 2 years.  A lot of people forget that Kirk asked for a trade at the end of last year.  

Kirk has no reason to feel any loyalty to this organization.  Snyder loved Robert and his marketability.  Robert is gone.  Now Kirk is going to extract a big contract.  I mean a really, really big contract.  

Kirk is going to end up getting so much money that this will truly be "Kirk's team".  When Jay said this was "Robert's team".  He just meant Kirk couldn't compete for the job.  Now that it's "Kirk's team", Kirk will, not only be the starting QB, he will also control a large part of the salary cap.  

If Kirk plays as well as he did last year for the rest of his career then it is the best case scenario for us regardless. And he would have earned any mega contract he gets. The last 10 weeks last season Kirk was as good as ANY qb in the league. I dont have a problem paying top money for a top player. i dont think the Skins will either.

Not sure what the deal is about paying Cousins. We would either pay him or pay Griffin boatloads of money. I'm just glad we had a fallback. Imagine if Cousins didn't play well and we'd be stuck with both or none. Considering the state of what was left over in FA, we are fine.

Now that he is under a tag we can start to wonder how good can he be now that he is the starter and will take all the snaps in the offseason.  I can't wait, I have huge hopes for this guy, something tells me we found, by chance mind you, the next elite QB.

Amen!   We've been long overdue for a perennial winner at QB. 

Now that he is under a tag we can start to wonder how good can he be now that he is the starter and will take all the snaps in the offseason.  I can't wait, I have huge hopes for this guy, something tells me we found, by chance mind you, the next elite QB.

I certainly hope so. But that will also be tons of pressure on him all year. So what do we do if he goes back to being mediocre? Not necessarily horrible but definitely not great...like he was before he blew up the second half of last season. Do we still pay him? If so, how much?

I believe he is going to get better actually.

1. He is #1, no more Griffin

2. Team/coaching support

3. Full off season, OTAs and training camp

4. OCD study habits

5. Driven

I think he will at least maintain his performance where we saw him in the latter half of last year...not shabby.

Does anyone here remember when Gruden said this is Robert's team? He said it before the preseason in each of the last 2 years. A lot of people forget that Kirk asked for a trade at the end of last year.

Kirk has no reason to feel any loyalty to this organization. Snyder loved Robert and his marketability. Robert is gone. Now Kirk is going to extract a big contract. I mean a really, really big contract.

Kirk is going to end up getting so much money that this will truly be "Kirk's team". When Jay said this was "Robert's team". He just meant Kirk couldn't compete for the job. Now that it's "Kirk's team", Kirk will, not only be the starting QB, he will also control a large part of the salary cap.

As do most qbs

I remember and then rob got tackled, "now it's Kirk's"

And Kirk better feel some loyalty....we did draft the dude 4ph round after betting everything else......,you know, before any other organization wanted him

Archived