Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: What Salary going forward for Kirk Cousins

ZRagone

Rough attempt here....

5 years, $100 Million (20 Mil per year average)

$15 Mil signing bonus. Spread out over all 5 years ($3 Mil per)

$15 Mil Escalating Roster bonuses, beginning at $1 Mil in 2016 and raising to $5 Mil by 2020

$40 Mil would be guaranteed initially, but a potential for $69 Mil (meaning $69 would be reported, similarly to Tannehills being reported as in the $40 mil range). The full base salary for 2016 and 2017 would be guaranteed ($25 Mil). By the 5th day of the league year in 2018, if Cousins remains on the roster his 2018 and 2019 base salaries become fully guaranteed ($29 Mil).

What this would do for Cousins...

This would put Cousins in the top 10 in terms of average per year. It would have him ahead of other newer QB’s who got contracts recently such as Tannehill and Kaepernick.

This would make his potential guarantee the largest in the league.

This would put his total potential percentage guaranteed in the top 5 of all QBs.

It will set up his projected 2020 salary as the highest in the league.

On the Redskins side, it offers some security if things should nose dive….

It ties Cousins to the team for two more years, which will be Gruden’s 4th. If at that point the team feels like it wants to go in another direction, it could easily part ways with Cousins (and Gruden, who’d be on the last year of his contract) without much pain. By not picking up the 2018 option, the cap hit for Cousins would only be $9 Mil, $6 Mil, and $3 Mil the following years.

Essentially, Kirk gets paid well for the next two years, with almost all of it guaranteed meaning there’s little chance he’s anything but the guy. So long as he performs, he’s likely to be here for at least 4 total years and would pull down a pool of guaranteed money greater than anything else out there right now. Kirk is gambling a bit by giving the Skins the opportunity to move on in 2 years. The Redskins are gambling a bit by tying themselves to Cousins unquestionably for at least the next 2.

I think it’d be a fair contract, absolutely paying him market value, while still providing a bit of insurance for the team. Additionally, the first two years would be relatively reasonable against the cap ($16 and $18 respectively), whereas the large numbers on the back end would hit under a likely enlarged total cap.

franchise tag for QB projected 20 million plus next season

also, kirk has no reason to sign franchise tag, he even said on his weekly radio show today that he will see in the off season if the redskins want him around or not, and if not, he'd have to look for a job elsewhere

It would be stupid not to sign it. It would be against its interest. It's not a player friendly deal, but they also have to sign it.

Money would cure all the hurt feelings, because it's just a game.

Not even close. Some aren't about money. All those guys aren't Haynesworth type of guy or whatever. Lots of them like to be loved where they play, feel like they're treated fairly, and wanted. Money is one thing. Being treated with respect is another.

Again, that's the "insulting" level of starting offer, not so much because 16M/year is too low for 2016, but because it's far too low for 2020.. 

I think now the contract with be 5 years 100 million at a minimum.  Structured so that if he sucks in 2016 and 2017 we can dump him without going too far into cap hell.

I don't see it under 100M. It'll be over. It'll make NFL headlines. Bank on it. Maybe even higher if we get 1 or 2 playoffs wins.

I think you can either go high for two or four years or low longer. I'd rather a 10 year 150million contract than 5 years 100mm for the team.

Kirk feels good gets the longest contract out there right now big vote of confidence in a major football region.

No interest in signing 10 years contracts. Both for the player and the team. Who can tell who the HC will be in 10 years? What the team will look like? Will the player still be performing? Injuries? That's short term business. 5/6 years is max you can see. 7+ would be astonishing

I don't think there has ever been a 10 year deal. A player gets a lot more leverage with two 5 year deals (and more money). Kirk won't sign for less than 5 years or more than 6.

Also, Kirk has made about $650k average over 4 years ($2.5m total roughly) ... You people on here really think he'd turn down a 1 year guarantee worth $18 million? 9x his rookie salary total for 1 year? Yeah he has the power but come on ...

And I'd have no issue giving him the tag and having him prove it another year. Tag him, make sure he knows if he repeats 2016 he's getting a Top 5 deal.

Personally I have a feeling it'll be a 6 year, $120 million deal with about $40-50 million guaranteed ... Front loaded into the first 3 years ala Kaepernick so god forbid he falls off, you can shed him in 3 years while likely simultaneously grooming his replacement on a cheap rookie deal.

He doesn't have much choice than sign the tender, or not play in 2016. Which he doesn't want. And we don't want it either. So if you just franchise him. He'll sign, he'll play. And he'll kiss your ass goodbye by the end of it. And if 2016 is similar in performance than 2015. You'll get teams like Pittsburgh, Patriots, Denver, KC, Dallas lol, that will make some freaking huge calls to his agent.

I'm thinking $88mil over 6 years with 49mil guaranteed.  

$14mil signing bonus

$17mil 2016

$18mil 2017

Too low.

Well the issue I'm pointing out is if everyone saying throw him franchise money then we should just franchise him.  I think it's seriously stupid to do  a franchise contract for someone who played very well for half a season. If he wins a super bowl then yeah lock his butt up.

Well it's 18 million, but lets not fool ourselves. I think their are a lot of people scared or people who don't feel like arguing about it over the internet. Trust me they're still out there and many other fan around the NFL see the shaky situation we're about to roll.

You don't seem to get my point. You can franchise him. You can do it. But you can't only do that.

If you want to franchise him, you have to tell him and his agent that you're preventing any FA status at any point in the negotiations as you don't want to get involved into a bidding war. Guy is smart, I tend to believe is agent is also, so he could understand the position from the team, accept it, and work on negotiations until the 15th of July or so. Then he can accept that.

But simply franchise him and say him: hello meet me again next year is basically a slap in his face.

He's not going to have to play next season as a Franchised player.  Not going to happen.  If he does, it would be terrible for both sides.  KC is simply stating the obvious in his Presser.  We all know and they all know, everybody knows that he just had a breakout season.

IF your drafted QB has 3 yrs learning in your organization and then takes over the starting role...then has a breakout season with nothing but improvements that result in a Championship, what do you think is going to happen!?! Isn't this exactly what you wish for!?!

Redskins are going to pay their guy!  Don't worry about the price tag...When they say hey, we said you're our guy and you're our franchise QB now, let's get on the same page. 

No need to worry here.

Look at the numbers for Big Ben:  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/ben-roethlisberger/

He's getting this type of deal and he's worth it. 

kirk holds every ounce of bargaining power at this point, which is scary in a way

i know we have the franchise tag, but that doesn't mean that kirk has to sign it

i thought all along that there is no way he wouldn't sign the franchise tender, but at this point i wouldn't rule it out.  the guaranteed money on a long term deal could be 50 - 60 million and guaranteed money on franchise tag would be roughly 20 million, so pretty significant money there to leave on the table, when kirk is the one who would have to shoulder all the risk, whether it be injury or regressing

hopefully, we just get a long term deal taken care of, and nothing turns nasty, the last thing we would need is the threat of any holdout, and for kirk to miss any of the offseason time

i believe kirk has great character, and i hope it wouldn't come to that, but it is a business and kirk will be trying to get what he thinks he is worth, and at this point, i'm not sure we can tell him no

Actually he does have to sign it.  If he doesn't, then he doesn't play or get paid when he is a hot commodity. 

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. 

Again, that's the "insulting" level of starting offer, not so much because 16M/year is too low for 2016, but because it's far too low for 2020.. 

I think now the contract with be 5 years 100 million at a minimum.  Structured so that if he sucks in 2016 and 2017 we can dump him without going too far into cap hell.

Right, I was just saying that that's the floor floor.  Like if the market was cold as ice for him, he'd still walk away with 16M a year.

I think he'll get close to what you're saying with the way he's been playing, a Kaep style deal, but adjusted for inflation.

So I was talking about Mark Rypien in another thread, and I found out we made him the 5th highest paid player in the league after his amazing 1991 season. Try not to think too much about how that worked out.

Anyway, it was a 3-year $9 million deal for Ryp in 1991 that put him among the highest paid. Guess that's inflation for you.

Actually he does have to sign it.  If he doesn't, then he doesn't play or get paid when he is a hot commodity. 

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. 

it makes sense when you hold the leverage

what doesn't make any sense is trying not to meet kirk's terms

So I was talking about Mark Rypien in another thread, and I found out we made him the 5th highest paid player in the league after his amazing 1991 season. Try not to think too much about how that worked out.

Anyway, it was a 3-year $9 million deal for Ryp in 1991 that put him among the highest paid. Guess that's inflation for you.

If kirk wins a ring i have no objections paying him. You play for your next contract.

A few ppl here don't understand basic negotiation points. We have zero leverage here. 

I agree, but most Universities don't teach negotiating.  Let alone, POWER Negotiating.  Here is an authority on Power Negotiating as he wrote the book:  http://rdawson.com/ 

You can get it on audio book download from all the regular sources.  I suggest that people here who want to know Why some of the things that are being said and read are meant to place each side at their desired prospective ends.  KC was probably advised by his team that he should not be appearing weak in response to the questions about a future contract.  This is very timely.  Look for a similar answer when they beat the Packers. He needed to address the question appropriately to show some confidence. This sets his teams position via the media.  He can still remain humble, but confident.  There's no question in my mind that it will get worked out.  The only question is How Much.  Usually the end result is from the process of negotiations and when both sides are wanting to make the best deal, ultimately it will be close for either side of whom gets the advantage.  Most of the advantages to the Redskins will be to limit their ability in dead cap space, should KC experience a demise in the process of the contract.  KC will want to get as much Signing Bonus as he can get and Guaranteed Money.  The length of the deal will be easy.  The pivotal money will be where the deal could sway it so one side, depending on results.

He's in the $100m+ category right now.  Don't be surprised if it comes out initially looking like he got far more than that.  The actualized numbers will never be the headline amount. 

It's a good time to be a Redskins Fan and looking forward to increased progress from here.  We have an obvious young NFL Franchise QB who keeps improving.  They're about to lock him down for about the next 5 years. This should be music to your ears given how rare it is to be in this position with someone that has come up through your organization.  They'll both want this to get done.

it makes sense when you hold the leverage

what doesn't make any sense is trying not to meet kirk's terms

Yes I'd say that they'll work out a compromise and the terms will probably look outrageous from a fan perspective initially.  Simply because there appears to be some risk in the NFL about giving large contracts after a breakout year.  I believe everyone knows here that this isn't the case with KC.  He's been learning and coached by the organization that drafted him.  He was given respect and an opportunity by them.  They combined to have success and are both going to be happy moving forward.  I think this is one of those easy contracts that both sides will come to terms that they feel are win-win for the player, organization, and the team.  I don't believe KC or his team are looking to get anything less then what he has earned.  That won't be a problem for the signing. 

NINE MILLION DOLLARS???!?!?!?

That's almost as much as we paid for each of Haynesworth's sacks.

Simply because there appears to be some risk in the NFL about giving large contracts after a breakout year.

We could have avoided this by not waiting until the final year of his rookie contract to make him the 16-game starter.

I can't think of another time this was done, by any team.  And for good reason.

We have already tied up Kerrigan and Williams to long term extensions so we need to carry on looking after our own draft picks. I think we can afford to pay Cousins $20m per year because I don't think we need that many upgrades on offence, we can spend most of our cap space on the Defence where we need to upgrade more positions.

HTTR

We have already tied up Kerrigan and Williams to long term extensions so we need to carry on looking after our own draft picks. I think we can afford to pay Cousins $20m per year because I don't think we need that many upgrades on offence, we can spend most of our cap space on the Defence where we need to upgrade more positions.

HTTR

And this is why signing guys like that early is a good idea. Imagine if we were worried about Cousins, Trent and Kerrigan right now with one Franchise tag available.

But, short of a miraculous postseason run,  20 mil is just too much. I'm fine with even 17, 17.5 maybe. But 20 is for guys who have really earned it. Cousins isn't there yet. There's no point in locking him up now if you're just going to pay him what he would have earned after another huge year in 2016 anyway.

And this is why signing guys like that early is a good idea. Imagine if we were worried about Cousins, Trent and Kerrigan right now with one Franchise tag available.

But, short of a miraculous postseason run,  20 mil is just too much. I'm fine with even 17, 17.5 maybe. But 20 is for guys who have really earned it. Cousins isn't there yet. There's no point in locking him up now if you're just going to pay him what he would have earned after another huge year in 2016 anyway.

for reference http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

don't think 17.5 will cut it with cap increases

for reference http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

don't think 17.5 will cut it with cap increases

Those 20 mil players had done a lot more than Cousins had when they got those deal, even Ryan, who really didn't deserve that much.

Some of the guys below that (in particular Tannehill and Kaepernick), those numbers are basically fiction.

Those 20 mil players had done a lot more than Cousins had when they got those deal, even Ryan, who really didn't deserve that much.

Some of the guys below that (in particular Tannehill and Kaepernick), those numbers are basically fiction.

true, but kirk will benefit from time, if some of the 20 mil guys were getting deals this off season, they would be 25 mil deals

I still think 10 years, 100M all guaranteed is the way to go.  Makes Kirk a very wealthy man and ensures the Skins have lots of cap money available during his career.  Could this formula end up being a crazy deal?  Sure for both parties, Cousins might make half what he could make with 2 or 3 shorter deals and if Cousins flames out the Skins are out 10M for 10 years.  But the far more likely outcome in my view is  Kirk delivers top 15, 10 or even top 5 QB performances throughout the balance of the contract

I don't expect to see it go this way but I'm an aggressive guy and this is the way the club and Kirk could both win the biggest with him committed to the Skins and the Skins having lots of cap home throughout his career.

Keep posting she needs to keep working it...

true, but kirk will benefit from time, if some of the 20 mil guys were getting deals this off season, they would be 25 mil deals

That's wildly overstating things. 

Roethlisberger, Wilson and Newton all signed in the last year. The cap isn't even going up much from 15 to 16. And everyone's known where the cap has been headed for several years anyway.

That's wildly overstating things. 

Roethlisberger, Wilson and Newton all signed in the last year. The cap isn't even going up much from 15 to 16. And everyone's known where the cap has been headed for several years anyway.

not as wild as saying kirk will sign for 17

Hello I'm a national sports writer and/or media personality. I've already whipped up my article/hot-take on how badly the Redskins have overpaid for Kirk.  I've included irrelevant cherry-picked stats to help pad things out and tossed in several nonsensical comparisons to other quarterbacks that support my narrative.  It feels good getting my work done early.

Rough attempt here....

5 years, $100 Million (20 Mil per year average)

$15 Mil signing bonus. Spread out over all 5 years ($3 Mil per)

$15 Mil Escalating Roster bonuses, beginning at $1 Mil in 2016 and raising to $5 Mil by 2020

$40 Mil would be guaranteed initially, but a potential for $69 Mil (meaning $69 would be reported, similarly to Tannehills being reported as in the $40 mil range). The full base salary for 2016 and 2017 would be guaranteed ($25 Mil). By the 5th day of the league year in 2018, if Cousins remains on the roster his 2018 and 2019 base salaries become fully guaranteed ($29 Mil).

I absolutely think this is the most sensible post on here at the moment. Kirk isn't signing for 17mill. We're going to have to pay the man, and this is a Bruce Allen type deal that protects the team but rewards Kirk. Can definitely see structure being similar.

Archived