Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: What Salary going forward for Kirk Cousins

ZRagone

From the guy with the drunk avatar...

This is insultingly low even as an opening offer. You would be asking Kirk to commit to playing for $15M in 2020. No way.

There is nothing more fun than arguing over how much money someone might be paid with know it all jackasses in the Internet. It's why I created an ES account

5 years, $75 million, $55 guaranteed

Ryan Tannehill got a 6 year deal for $96 mil and $45 guaranteed. Cousins posted better numbers this season than Tannehill did when he got that deal and his team didn't make the playoffs. Right now, we are probably talking a deal closer to $18-20 million though the guaranteed dollars are probably about right. The skins won't have a choice but stipulations/outs can (and hopefully will) be placed in his deal to ensure the Skins can get out of it if Kirk regresses.

he got 18mil for this year, and 18 for next, right?

We picked up his option, which is for 2016.  For whatever reason, you have to pick up 5th year options on players over a year beforehand.  His cap number this year was a little over 6M.  He'd get the 16M, I think, next year if he was here, or if he got injured in a game.

That is primarily why he won't be here, that's 16+M in the pocket.

The way I see it, He didn't get paid very much for this year. Something like 650,000 or so.

The Redskins got a great QB performance for a rock bottom price tag. If they have to overpay him

a bit to keep him happy and feel appreciated for This year as well, so be it. I think a 75 million, 4 year deal,with 45 million Guaranteed would be totally fair.

There is nothing more fun than arguing over how much money someone might be paid with know it all jackasses in the Internet. It's why I created an ES account

no one is going to take you seriously with that random avatar, maybe you should change it to something more recognizable.

Brian billick was just on the radio saying that guys like Cousins and Osweiler are worth 8-10Mil because they haven't proven anything yet. I guess one side or the other is going to be surprised in a few months.

Do you have to win it all to prove anything these days? He's proved loads. How Billick puts Cousins and Osweiler in the same bracket is baffling enough in itself. 

Brian billick was just on the radio saying that guys like Cousins and Osweiler are worth 8-10Mil because they haven't proven anything yet. I guess one side or the other is going to be surprised in a few months.

That's why Billick isn't on an NFL payroll.

I don't understand how Cousins and Osweiler are in the same league.  Regardless of what he thinks they are worth we can't just let him go when we finally have a good QB; there are going to be other teams willing to pay big for him.  This is why we are throwing 15M/Yr+ deals out because we are going to be bidding against other teams.  

I don't understand how Cousins and Osweiler are in the same league.  Regardless of what he thinks they are worth we can't just let him go when we finally have a good QB; there are going to be other teams willing to pay big for him.  This is why we are throwing 15M/Yr+ deals out because we are going to be bidding against other teams.  

Technically, we will not be bidding against other teams.  Cousins is not allowed to negotiate with anyone except us before free agency.  Violations could see those teams penalized with loss of draft picks.

Realistically... there will be backchannel discussions.  Not that they are needed.  His agent knows what Cousins is worth and knows how desperate the league is for quality QBing.

no one is going to take you seriously with that random avatar, maybe you should change it to something more recognizable.

Simply "truth in advertising." I follow the same path in my avatar choices.

However, a truly serious and credibility-inducing avatar tied to the screen name "zoony" (and some of those posts) could be fun.

Some ES trivia: among other roles, zoony is my "oldest internet football friend" that I'm still in touch with, with visionary being second. We all came to ES, separately, from the little corner of the internet that was the WaPo Redskins forum (which was the only other Redskins site I've ever posted on). 

Simply "truth in advertising." I follow the same path in my avatar choices.

However, a truly serious and credibility-inducing avatar tied to the screen name "zoony" (and some of those posts) could be fun.

Some ES trivia: among other roles, zoony is my "oldest internet football friend" that I'm still in touch with, with visionary being second. We all came to ES, separately, from the little corner of the internet that was the WaPo Redskins forum (which was the only other Redskins site I've ever posted on). 

Is that how it happened?  I see now, and all of you have became mods of the official message board of the Washington Redskins  :D.

Technically, we will not be bidding against other teams.  Cousins is not allowed to negotiate with anyone except us before free agency.  Violations could see those teams penalized with loss of draft picks.

Realistically... there will be backchannel discussions.  Not that they are needed.  His agent knows what Cousins is worth and knows how desperate the league is for quality QBing.

Right, we know that if we don't get a deal inked we will be bidding against other teams.  Technically we already are, because like you said his agent knows what he is worth to other teams around the league.  

Archived