Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: What Salary going forward for Kirk Cousins

ZRagone

He's lighting it up now, but he's still learning on the fly.  He's started to move safeties with his eyes sometimes now, though he still locks onto his target sometimes as well.  We'll know when he has a firm grasp of the system when he adds the pump fakes into his game. 

He's a keeper.  I don't think we'll get him under 15 million, and that would be a bargain today.  But personally, I think most of these guys are overpaid, but that's just me.

He's lighting it up now, but he's still learning on the fly.  He's started to move safeties with his eyes sometimes now, though he still locks onto his target sometimes as well.  We'll know when he has a firm grasp of the system when he adds the pump fakes into his game. 

He's a keeper.  I don't think we'll get him under 15 million, and that would be a bargain today.  But personally, I think most of these guys are overpaid, but that's just me.

The TD to Thompson last week was big time. He never even looked at Thompson until right before he threw the ball.

On second thought, I think I'd put the ole transition tag on him.  This would let the league set his value, and the skins would be able to match the highest bidder or get (2) first round picks for letting him go.  Which team would be willing to give up two #1's?  Then how much would they be willing to pay? 

There's not too many teams, I don't think, that would be willing to give up two first round picks for starters, and then also offer an unreasonable amount, say 20 per year.  And if no team does, we could then make a more reasonable offer that's good for Cousins and the team both. 

As of now, the numbers say he's a top ten QB, which means he should get top ten QB money. I'd say he's at least getting the $16 million we were going to pay RG3 next year.

If he wins a playoff game or two, well then Dan's going to have to back up the Brinks truck.

Every estimated contract in this thread, including mine, is too low.

It's low compared to reality. They were pretty much spot on for what was asked for in the OP.

Thankfully, rather than having a second half of the season similar to the first, Cousins has a tremendous second half of the season to end the year.

Naturally, what he actually gets paid...or what people feel he should be paid...SHOULD be significantly higher than it was when they were asked to hypothetically extend his first half play into a full year.

I was waiting till after the Cowboys game and then I was going to see if the mods would be okay with me starting a new thread with some of the same financial information I posted in the OP, but forgoing the "hypothetical" season and instead going off the ACTUAL season. Because ultimately, these are two very different discussions.

Ehh...I dunno if I'd go that far. There have been some pretty crazy numbers put forth. Would you pay him as much as, say, Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady?

Yes, a hundred times over. I think I said the same thing earlier in this thread when we were still functioning over a hypothetical. But that's because Brady's contract is RIDICULOUS right now for his talent level.

On second thought, I think I'd put the ole transition tag on him.  

Except that would insult Kirk. Heck, players are insulted when they are franchised. The good news is that Allen has been really good at contracts and for the most part hasn't written a contract that hurt the 'skins going forward. I think also that Kirk is enjoying himself, the team, and likes his coach who really stood up for him and with him esp. this year. Ultimately, that takes a backseat to money, but if things are even...

I put him as a comp to Tannehill. I think we may actually Franchise him, get one more year out of him, and then sign him. The rates don't go up THAT much more if he pans out during the Franchised year.

I agree with you i think that u will see KC franchised for next year. If not you will see a Tannehill type contract 6 years 95M with signing bonus

Except that would insult Kirk. Heck, players are insulted when they are franchised. The good news is that Allen has been really good at contracts and for the most part hasn't written a contract that hurt the 'skins going forward. I think also that Kirk is enjoying himself, the team, and likes his coach who really stood up for him and with him esp. this year. Ultimately, that takes a backseat to money, but if things are even...

Yes, I failed to mention the front office should make Cousins a reasonable offer (before) tagging him.  They should try to negotiate, as I'm sure they will get around to it at some point, probably after the season.  Then, if and/or when negotiations break down, then you tag him and let the market set his value

Yes, a hundred times over. I think I said the same thing earlier in this thread when we were still functioning over a hypothetical. But that's because Brady's contract is RIDICULOUS right now for his talent level.

Sorry, I forgot that Brady made his contract crazy low to help the team out. Shouldn't have included him in there.

Sorry, I forgot that Brady made his contract crazy low to help the team out. Shouldn't have included him in there.

That's what a team player would do.  He's only making half of what other elite QB's are getting, but this helps keep the team out of salary cap trouble and it also helps them add more pieces to build a stronger team.  If they were to give him 20 million, that puts a lot more pressure on the team to nail the draft with lots of blue-chip type players. 

So this tells us that Brady sacrifices some big money in order to play for a WINNING team. 

Find Kirk's wife a job where she makes 400M over the next ten years and we can discuss with him the idea of taking a pay cut to help the team ala. Brady.

Also, someone is gonna have to convince Goodell and Mara to not fine us for violating the "spirit of the cap" because you know they'd smack us. Brady and Pats get a pass bc, you know, Pats. Us? Not so much. Probably a 10M penalty every year Kirk is on the team.

That's what a team player would do. He's only making half of what other elite QB's are getting, but this helps keep the team out of salary cap trouble and it also helps them add more pieces to build a stronger team.

So this tells us that Brady sacrifices some big money in order to play for a WINNING team.

Which is a lot easier to do when your wife is worth $400 million.

I don't think players feel insulted when they get tagged.  There getting paid at the top of the scale for 1 yr.  You're saying paying KC 20million for 1 yr. is going to make them upset?  They get to do it again the next season if they're worth it.  I originally thought that applying the tag to KC would have a negative impact.  There are major issues to consider as you will owe all that to your cap. Hypothetically it's bad for the Redskins to have to tag him.  He's taking up almost half your available cap room for one season.  It's also good for KC to sign a multi year deal.  If he has bad luck and falls out of favor or gets injured, he's screwed. 

Finding a balance to pay your franchise players responsibly means signing a win-win deal.  If KC gets greedy, he'll get tagged.  When he gets tagged, he better have another stellar year.  From where we are sitting, it looks like he's continuing to improve.  I don't think either side has either one over the barrel or any distinct edge in negotiating multi year terms. 

I don't think players feel insulted when they get tagged.  There getting paid at the top of the scale for 1 yr.  You're saying paying KC 20million for 1 yr. is going to make them upset?  They get to do it again the next season if they're worth it.  I originally thought that applying the tag to KC would have a negative impact.  There are major issues to consider as you will owe all that to your cap. Hypothetically it's bad for the Redskins to have to tag him.  He's taking up almost half your available cap room for one season.  It's also good for KC to sign a multi year deal.  If he has bad luck and falls out of favor or gets injured, he's screwed. 

Finding a balance to pay your franchise players responsibly means signing a win-win deal.  If KC gets greedy, he'll get tagged.  When he gets tagged, he better have another stellar year.  From where we are sitting, it looks like he's continuing to improve.  I don't think either side has either one over the barrel or any distinct edge in negotiating multi year terms. 

some players can take it as an insult, because they feel the team doesn't want to pay them long term, and then if they have a down year or get hurt, then they are screwed the next year (or you can do like JPP and blow up your hand instead of sign the franchise tender)

i'm not sure how kirk would take it, but i don't think he would hold out or anything

it is going to be a pretty major style of living increase regardless of what happens for him

just pay the captain

I think we'll be fine. Unless he leads us to a SB win he won't be able to ask for Russell Wilson type money. I think the 5 year 80 mil number above is possible. Though that's still a lot of money for a relatively small sample size of good play. That's about the same as Tannehill, and while I think Cousins is probably at least as good but probably better, he doesn't have the length of consistently good play on his resume that Tannehill does.

What? 25 mil per year? That a 5 year 125 million dollar contract. That's insane. That's what you give a guy who has led you to a couple of Super Bowl wins.

I think we are going to sign him to a two year deal, not a five year deal.

Griffon got 18/year... Cousins will definitely want more than that

Archived