Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: What Salary going forward for Kirk Cousins

ZRagone

To kinda piggyback off of a discussion in another thread, the hype for Cousins lives here and dies elsewhere. Granted, national media's buy in isn't a requirement for GMs wanting a QB. It's also a QB starved league but it seems most everyone outside of DC is of the thought process that Kirk is pretty good IN JAYs SYSTEM. Not necessarily a plug and play QB in any system.

If GMs carry the same belief much of the media does, he's not going to cost the arm and leg many of you believe he will.

Judging anything from the media is a risky proposition at best. Many could not find their as if you gave them directions. I agree we tend to over hype our players, sometimes to an egregious level. However, this is a QB we are talking about. Once that at least for the last 7 gms or so has been playing at a very high level.

Also, Jay's Off is not that much different than many of the other Offs in the league. If there is one position where teams will overpay to a fault it's QB. It should be somewhere between $16M and $19M a year depending on length and amount guaranteed. Also the rest of the season will make a difference. Every win, unless he personally lays and an egg and we still somehow manage to win (highly unlikely at this point), his value raises.

Now I have seen a few saying numbers like $25M/yr. that would be $3M higher than the highest paid player in the NFL. That's just not going to happen, here or anywhere else. Nor is the $8M to $10M number a few have thrown out there. Again, I see it in the middle.

Win these next 3 and he will be on the high side of the est. I am rooting for him because that means we will have won our Div and made the POs!

I'm thinking that if they make the playoffs, they might actually have to franchise him while they negotiate a deal.

His agent would be crazy not to go for the moon.

I think a Kapernick style contract would've ideal if they can get it, the question is, can they.

Well, if we make the Playoffs, I can see the Redskins settle for the moon. I just wish they don't ask for Mars or anything else... lol

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25419907/washington-will-not-let-kirk-cousins-leave-in-the-offseason

Kirk Cousins will be back with the team in 2016, even if it requires applying the franchise tag to do so, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. The club has already expressed its intent to sign Cousins long-term to his representatives. Washington's football people have been won over by the play of the former fourth-round pick, as well as how he has conducted himself during a trying four years with the club, and they have vowed not let him hit the open market.

the Skins have made it clear to his camp they are ready to engage in discussions whenever he is ready, and they fully intend to begin negotiations shortly after the season and by the February scouting combine, sources said. Other teams in need of a quarterback have essentially written off Cousins as a free agent option -- "He isn't leaving there; absolutely no way (general manager) Scot (McCloughan) is letting him walk," said a high-ranking official of one quarterback-needy club who values Cousins highly.

I always said he'd get a lot, 20mil/year...

ofc, if the Redskins are going to be paying that much they might as well franchise him and then not have to worry about a bidding war.. if he has a great 2016 season he can be extended at franchise QB money... if not they can save money or, if he is atrocious, kick him to the curb.

He has played his way to a good salary. If we win the east and make playoffs, he will have sealed himself a Great salary. I'd guess a 4 year 55 million.

As far as the Jordan reed question, he will make a hefty bonus as well, though not elite money due to injury history. I'm excited to have a healthy reed and niles Paul next year

Forget the 1 year franchise deal that will only cost more sign him now for 5 years at second tier starter money and be done with it. He'll play top 5-10 during the course of the contract but a 5 year second tier deal is the way to go now. Pay the most important guy on the team his due.

2nd tier is about 18per right now.  In 3 years it will be 23ish.  So, in round numbers you are saying 5/100mil.  I don't think that will be enough.

All I know is, the longer we wait, while still having the assumption that the deal gets made, is better for both sides.  Honestly, I don't want either side to have some sort of albatross hanging over their head, whether the deal was too much or too little.  The more he plays, the more information both sides have, and the best deal will get made. 

I want a deal that makes both sides happy, as opposed to a deal that one side or the other "won" on.  For the QB position, I think it's better off for the workplace if the right deal is made, whatever it is. 

Didn't know his contract expired after the season.  Makes sense since he was in the same draft class as RG3.

Hard to predict numbers, but I would say something like 3 years for $28 million.  That's a random guess, I'm not an agent.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm actually just trying to let you know what all the people that claim to be 'in the know' are saying.

Your numbers put him at about 9mil/year, for 3 years, which is about half per year what everyone else is saying will be a starting point.

More realistically we're looking at starting at ~16 mil/year.  That would make it a 16/48 deal, for 3 years. And 3 years would also be a huge discount. Most are talking 4 years, with options afterwards.

So most people are saying the starting contract would be 64 million for 4 years, with the bulk guaranteed. And that's a starting point. If he really plays his ass off these last 2 games, and goes into the playoffs and again plays well, maybe even gets them to the secound round... you're going to be looking at 100 million dollar contract. Even if it's not all guaranteed and has options that get the team out of some of it if they want.

The man is going ot get paid. At this point, I fail to see how he doesn't deserve it. If nothing else the team painted itself into the corner its currently in.

And honestly, there are worse problems to have than: we have to pay our quarterback a lot of money because he's way better than we thought he would be.

Anyways, if you could get him for 3 years 28 million you'd be the best GM in the league and you could get yourself a a big paycheck ;)

Archived