Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

1 hour ago, BigDibbs31 said:

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/reports-police-shoot-kill-teenage-girl-in-columbus/

Body cam footage here. Hard to tell but slo-mo seems like the person shot was actively trying to stab someone with a knife when she was shot. 

Yeah that really does look like she was shot while literally in the act of trying to stab someone.  Unless that turns out to be a phone in her hands or something, it’s going to be real hard to argue this shooting was wrong.  Still, it’s a shame to see life end like that for someone so young.  A moment of anger, a loss of control, and what should have been a long story ends abruptly.

heres the press conference where they played the body cam footage.  Click at your own risk, it’s video of someone being shot to death.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3Da_Sjbw

at around the 9:30 mark they play the body cam footage it in slow motion.  At around 9:56 it looks like a clear shot of something that looks like a knife in her right hand. 

edit:  here’s a still shot from the press conference I linked above.  It certainly looks like that’s a knife and she was trying to stab that woman.  

WoeV4Qo.jpg

Edited by Destino
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So much for the aunts story about the knife being on the ground when she was shot.  The knife was literally in her hand in the process of attempting to stab someone- in front of the police.

Yeah, that’s where I’m having an issue. The aunt was screaming about telling the right story when she wasn’t interested in telling the right story herself. And now there’s a lot of people who aren’t going to bother with the truth. 

The officer saved the girl in the pink but I’m wondering if the officer could have put one in her leg instead instead of shooting her 3 or 4 times in the chest and still have saved her. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, that’s where I’m having an issue. The aunt was screaming about telling the right story when she wasn’t interested in telling the right story herself. And now there’s a lot of people who aren’t going to bother with the truth. 

The officer saved the girl in the pink but I’m wondering if the officer could have put one in her leg instead instead of shooting her 3 or 4 times in the chest and still have saved her. 

The aunt probably thought she was telling the right story at the time, and if the cops were really over there laughing - I can see why that would set her off.  That said, after seeing the body cam footage, it should end the 'knife on the ground when she was shot' narrative right there.

I'm not sure of the protocol for how to handle these situations, and I've seen a lot of 'should have shot her in the leg' or tazed her type stuff on social media, but when you just roll up and see a rabid person flipping out with a knife in the motion the girl had - I'm not sure you really have any time to think about that.  I could be totally wrong on this, but I feel like I've heard in the past that officers are not trained to ever shoot for the legs as it's easy to miss.

• Like 2

Also I don’t know if it matters but you can’t tell she’s a ‘15 year old girl’ like has been reported. She looks like a grown dangerous woman with a knife. 

Now.....that video with the people arguing with the cop supposedly yelling blue lives matter is gonna be the next problem. 

I watched too many of the witness videos on social media last night and none of their accounts matched the body cam footage.  They all made it sound like the girl just 'had a knife' vs. chasing someone down and literally about to stab them.  Made me really doubt any of them actually saw it as it went down and only came outside after hearing the gunshots and made up their own version of events.  It's rather clear in the body cam footage that she was the aggressor, as the girl in the pink is clearly retreating.  Perhaps at one point, the girl in the pink was the aggressor and retreated only after she saw the knife - but it was clear as day she was trying to get away.  There was no need, outside of rage, to wield that knife in the manner that unfortunately ended up getting herself shot.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

taser....

Yes, that looks like a justified shoot.  And looking at that in real time, that officer had about 2 seconds to process and react to a situation in which a person posed a deadly threat to two people.  He did what he had to do, even though the result was a tragic loss of life.

This is one case where law enforcement can say thank goodness for body cameras.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I still cant believe this is still discussed. Police officers are taught to shoot Center mass. It is next to impossible to shoot someone in the arm/leg on purpose.  

• Like 2

I was critical of the last one, but I don't see a lot of options in this one.

The idea of teaching cops to not shoot center mass is dumb.   Tasers don't always work (immediately).  He's got very little time to react (from the time he gets there).  It looks like a knife.  I fully expected to see something else in the video.  But that looks like the cop saved somebody from at least being stabbed.

• Like 2

In this cop shooting, from what I’ve heard, the girl was being jumped/attacked outside of her house, so she called the police for help, and while waiting, she decided to defend herself. The police got there and didn’t even TRY to de-escalate the situation. Just started shooting. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

taser....

Looks like the officer already had drawn his gun because he saw the girl with a knife. At that point she was attempting to murder another person so I think the gun was justified.

It's also almost impossible to process something that fast and make a split second decision to shoot someone in the leg (not directed at you, CC). Not to mention that aiming for a smaller body part in the heat of the moment with adrenaline pumping would mean a much higher chance of a miss. That's why center mass is generally taught.

17 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

The police got there and didn’t even TRY to de-escalate the situation. Just started shooting. 

From looking at the video, if the police had waited even a few seconds before shooting, that other person would have gotten stabbed.  In this situation, where a person is in progress of using a deadly weapon, I totally expect the police to just start shooting.

You always have to be there but in general it seems that there is often no attempt at deescalation and if the police perceives a threat it’s seen as OK to take someone’s life.

Locally we had a Filipino mom handing out pizza samples at Costco shot to death by officers when she got upset/had

mental issues and started threatening people with scissors and a knife. I wasn’t there but I like to think there are stacks and stacks of things in Costco I could use to disarm a middle aged woman without using lethal force.

i recall a few years ago police taking the life of a mentally ill man who approached them with a knife. They could have attempted  to de-escalate (possibly using their car as a barrier/refuge) but they killed him. The consensus here at the time was that police officers should not act “passively” and if you are armed and don’t obey an officers command you ‘deserve’ to get shot, and if you are mentally ill, well it sucks but the police get a pass.

And personally, one time I was stopped for speeding in the middle of the afternoon on a sunny Saturday in a nice suburban area. Another car driven by a white middle-aged woman pulled over to ask for directions and the cop started shouting at her and put his hand on his gun. He didn’t draw his weapon but it seemed that the approach was EVERY situation could be life or death and to act accordingly. 

Edited by Corcaigh

40 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

In this cop shooting, from what I’ve heard, the girl was being jumped/attacked outside of her house, so she called the police for help, and while waiting, she decided to defend herself. The police got there and didn’t even TRY to de-escalate the situation. Just started shooting. 

I don't know how the cop is supposed to figure all that out that fast. He saw someone with a knife and took action.

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

This is one case where law enforcement can say thank goodness for body cameras.

Remember when we first started talking about body cams. Somebody posted an interview with a Chief of Police who had just mandated them. 

And he said that the cops were reporting that suddenly people were being a lot more polite to the cops. 

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

Also I don’t know if it matters but you can’t tell she’s a ‘15 year old girl’ like has been reported. She looks like a grown dangerous woman with a knife. 

Now.....that video with the people arguing with the cop supposedly yelling blue lives matter is gonna be the next problem. 

Yeah, in my head, I was picturing a lanky, teenage girl. That looks like a full grown woman in that screenshot. 

1. Several years ago, I had someone break into my house and I called 911. I confronted them with a knife and they ran out of the house. The dispatcher told me the cops were on the way, I told her that I chased them out with a knife. She asked me if I still had the knife, when I said yes, she told me to drop it immediately (which I did). The knife is a weapon, I was a victim of a crime here, but how would the cops know that when they pulled up? You have to have some common sense in these situations, I know she was a teenager...but...c'mon, girl!

2. Used to watch this awesome show on TBS called "Southland", awesome cop show with an awesome cast. Anyways, there is one scene where a woman with a knife is tackled and the tackled woman ends up stabbing herself in the scuffle. The senior officer says that the cop who tackled the woman was wrong and didn't follow protocol...the officer should've shot her. You have to remember, these cops are trained to kill a target if they shoot it, no wounding allowed. I'm not taking sides here, just stating a fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

It appears that when the police got there, she was the aggressor chasing one of her attackers into the street, about to shank her.  I'd imagine it started as her being jumped/attacked, but it was clear that once she displayed the knife, the attackers were retreating.

59 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

You always have to be there but in general it seems that there is often no attempt at deescalation and if the police perceives a threat it’s seen as OK to take someone’s life.

Locally we had a Filipino mom handing out pizza samples at Costco shot to death by officers when she got upset/had

mental issues and started threatening people with scissors and a knife. I wasn’t there but I like to think there are stacks and stacks of things in Costco I could use to disarm a middle aged woman without using lethal force.

i recall a few years ago police taking the life of a mentally ill man who approached them with a knife. They could have attempted  to de-escalate (possibly using their car as a barrier/refuge) but they killed him. The consensus here at the time was that police officers should not act “passively” and if you are armed and don’t obey an officers command you ‘deserve’ to get shot, and if you are mentally ill, well it sucks but the police get a pass.

And personally, one time I was stopped for speeding in the middle of the afternoon on a sunny Saturday in a nice suburban area. Another car driven by a white middle-aged woman pulled over to ask for directions and the cop started shouting at her and put his hand on his gun. He didn’t draw his weapon but it seemed that the approach was EVERY situation could be life or death and to act accordingly. 

In this scenario...

Even if there was time to de-escalate, or deescalation was attempted, it didn't work because the girl is about to shank somebody right in front of the cops face.

• Like 1

Yeah it's a difficult situation because ideally you'd want to deescalate, but when the cop got there the first thing he saw was a girl with a knife tackling another, then getting up and actively trying to stab a second person. She wasn't just standing there defending herself with a knife in her hand, she was going all out trying to stab someone, which is attempted murder. She may indeed have been jumped first, but at that point in time she had become the aggressor. 

• Like 3

It would be interesting to get the perspective of a police officer from another country and how they are trained to deal with situations like this. US police kill citizens at a rate 15-50 times higher than comparable European countries, and that includes some with a history of domestic terrorism.

Edited by Corcaigh