Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

39 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

3 quick and easy steps to improve our police.

1).  Reduce the amount of guns in the hands of the public by every legal means available.

2).  Increase pay and benefits + safer work environment (see #1) = higher class of potential recruits

3).  Dramatically reduce the legal justifications for pulling people over.  Beyond obvious reasons (15+ mph over, obvious intoxicated/impairment), there should be almost no roadside confrontations with the general public at all.  Ever.

Do these three things and we will see far less of what we’ve seen this week.

I'm not of the impression that increased pay and benefits will result in a higher class of recruits. I think it takes a certain personality type and mindset to want to be a cop to begin with, and more money won't really sway someone who isn't of that personality type to start considering being one. And those who become cops because of the high pay aren't necessarily better recruits. That doesn't mean LEOs shouldn't get higher pay and more benefits, of course.

• Like 2

Ugh.  I am getting the sinking feeling that Chauvin is going to get off.

per WAPO

Judge Peter Cahill ruled Thursday that new evidence brought to light by the prosecution on the carbon monoxide levels in Floyd’s blood would not be admissible to the court. Prosecutor Jerry Blackwell said that Andrew Baker, the Hennepin County medical examiner who performed Floyd’s autopsy, had called them to dispute Fowler’s testimony suggesting Floyd’s possible exposure to carbon monoxide from the exhaust fumes of a police squad car may have contributed to his death.

Fowler said during cross-examination Wednesday that Floyd should have received immediate medical attention to reverse his cardiac arrest.

The medical expert testified that it appeared Chauvin’s knee did not injure Floyd’s neck.

Fowler told Chauvin attorney Eric J. Nelson that there’s “no evidence” in research suggesting that the prone position is an issue in restricting air.

This came a day after a medical expert testified that heart disease and drug use was to blame for George Floyd’s death. David Fowler, a former chief medical examiner for the state of Maryland, said many factors contributed to Floyd’s manner of death, which he classified as “undetermined,” not homicide.

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

1).  Reduce the amount of guns in the hands of the public by every legal means available.

2).  Increase pay and benefits + safer work environment (see #1) = higher class of potential recruits

3).  Dramatically reduce the legal justifications for pulling people over.  Beyond obvious reasons (15+ mph over, obvious intoxicated/impairment), there should be almost no roadside confrontations with the general public at all.  Ever.

I would as to this:

4 - stop making road side stops fishing expeditions. If you pull me over for a busted taillight then write your ticket and let me be on my way. Don’t use it as excuse to try to find things to get me in trouble for. I think this alone would change a lot of it - from the number of confrontations to the general public’s feelings towards police. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Ugh.  I am getting the sinking feeling that Chauvin is going to get off.

I think most of what you posted is a reflection of the defense getting to present its case by calling its experts. 

I’m unsure of how the jury will weigh that against the prosecutions case, but I’m not ready to start thinking he’s going to get off. 

im not impressed with the defense presentation so far. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Man, the video of Adam Toledo is awful.  

that was the definition of murder/homicide. that's 20 years + for literally anyone else

police (especially uniformed police) need to get their guns taken away until they can prove they can be responsible with them. special additional de-escalation training/certificate, personality assessment (not created by police), or something similar to be able to carry one

• Like 2

You know it's bad when even Pat Robertson thinks the cops suck:

Pat Robertson Does Taser/Glock Demo On Air, Goes OFF on Cops: ‘We Don’t Have the Finest in the Police Department’

700 Club host and evangelical leader Pat Robertson demonstrated the difference between a Glock handgun and a Taser on air, then let loose a rant against the “onslaught” of police violence that he chalked up to a low-quality and poorly-paid workforce.

Following a news report on the arrest of former police officer Kim Potter for the killing of Daunte Wright, Robertson and co-host Terry Meeuwsen used visual aids to discuss Potter’s claim that she mistook her sidearm for a Taser.

“There’s just no comparison,” Robertson said, wielding plastic models of each weapon, and added “Now how she made the difference, when she shot that poor guy to death, saying this is what I thought was my Taser. And if you can’t tell the difference in the feel of those things, it’s crazy.”

Robertson then touched on other recent incidences of police violence.

“You know I am pro police folks, I think we need the police, we need their service, and they do a good job, but if they don’t stop this onslaught, they cannot do this,” Robertson said, then referenced the Virginia traffic stop that ended in violence against Army Lt. Caron Nazario, as well as the trial of Derek Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd.

“You know the police in Virginia picked up a lieutenant in the Army and began to give him trouble, and our state police are highly trained, but why they don’t stop this, and this thing that’s going on in Minnesota with the Derek Chauvin. I mean they ought to put him under the jail. He has caused so much trouble by kneeling on the death of George Floyd, I mean his neck, it’s just terrible what’s happening,” Robertson said.

Click on the link for more

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2021 at 11:02 AM, Llevron said:

Supposedly it obstructs the drivers vision so its an easy citation. Its not just air fresheners but anything hanging from the rear view mirror. More importantly imo is that its used as an excuse to start a confrontation. This was the same cat (the guy who told me) I grew up with that was pulled out of the car with me in Waldorf cause we looked like we didn't know where we were going. So i took it seriously when he told me I had to take my fuzzy dice off of my mirror (i loved those fuzzy dice) cause I trust him. 

Interesting, I had no idea.  My wife has all kinds of junk hanging from hers.  

Edited by justice98

On 4/12/2021 at 1:24 PM, tshile said:

In Virginia hanging anything from the mirror is a violation that can get you pulled over. I think they call that a primary violation? (Secondary is something they can cite you for if they pull you over but they cannot stop you for it alone)

other states may vary. 

They taught us that in drivers ed

I think they are if they view the person as a threat to the community. That may be a state by state thing though. I’m pretty sure there was a scotus case on it?

So theoretically, you shouldn't have a parking placard hanging there, you're supposed to take it down and put it up everytime.  Half the cars out here have stuff hanging from their mirrors.  

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

So theoretically, you shouldn't have a parking placard hanging there, you're supposed to take it down and put it up everytime.  Half the cars out here have stuff hanging from their mirrors.  

Correct. 

anything hanging from the rear view mirror. Doesn’t matter what it is. 

im not trying to argue it’s a good law. 

im just telling you (unless it’s changed since I took drivers Ed 22 years ago which maybe it did...) it’s a primary violation and can get you pulled over in Virginia. And other states. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I think if we increase pay, we need to substantially increase the requirements to become a cop, and amount of schooling/training they get, to weed more people out. that's what a lot of other countries do that don't have this issue as much

#3 I completely agree with. there is a lot of research on the racist roots of that policy ("just cause" for pulling people over), and it absolutely needs to change

the biggest change needed (IMO) is ending qualified immunity, and any other special treatment cops get. if a cop breaks the law, they get the same process & punishment that anyone in the public would get. mentality of a lot of officers is shoot first, ask questions later, mostly because they know there won't be repercussions. if ANYONE shoots someone that's unarmed and/or not a threat, by law that is murder/homicide (and should be for EVERYONE). that would push some to at least THINK before pulling the trigger. 

On 4/12/2021 at 11:02 AM, Llevron said:

Supposedly it obstructs the drivers vision so its an easy citation.

And supposedly it's illegal to stick anything on your front or rear windows, other than legally mandated stickers like state inspection. Same reasoning. 

17 hours ago, mammajamma said:

that was the definition of murder/homicide. that's 20 years + for literally anyone else

police (especially uniformed police) need to get their guns taken away until they can prove they can be responsible with them. special additional de-escalation training/certificate, personality assessment (not created by police), or something similar to be able to carry one

i completely disagree here.  it is a huge tragedy, but not at all what you describe.   

(discloure i only watched the 10 second clip of the body cam footage from the policeman)

the kid DID have a gun, and he had it in his hand as he started to turn around, in a dark alley, after a chase.   yes, he dropped the gun and was trying to surrender... but it is SO EASY to see how the policeman in that spur of the moment was unsure of that fact.

we can't confuse heart wrenching tragedy and senseless loss of life with having to instantly equate that with finding somebody to blame and heap the guilt on

8 hours ago, visionary said:

that is so disgusting 

• Like 2

No matter your age, and I find it highly unlikely the cop knew his age, if you’re rolling through the streets at 2:30 in the morning flashing your piece you are at very high risk to catch a bullet...from a wide variety of sources.

Heartbreaking and tragic, but to me this is a gun control issue much more than a policing issue. We are a long, long way from Breonna Taylor here.  And it’s disrespectful to her memory to suggest otherwise.

• Like 1